Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heirs of Byzantium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Poll Question: Who do you believe are the true heirs of Byzantium?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [12.90%]
37 [39.78%]
2 [2.15%]
1 [1.08%]
14 [15.05%]
0 [0.00%]
27 [29.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
londoner_gb View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote londoner_gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heirs of Byzantium
    Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 23:09
The other theory is that he was of Armenian colonists' origin/still from Macedonian theme/...
ΡΟΛΙΣΤΕΝΕΑΣΝ / ΕΡΕΝΕΑΤΙΛ / ΤΕΑΝΗΣΚΟΑ / ΡΑ
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 01:51
I think that the Greeks are the modern heirs of Byzantium. It was a polyglot empire but ethnically, politically, linguistically, religiously etc. the Greeks were the dominant element. Most of the Emperors were of Greek ethnicity, though a few were Armenian. Even the emperors of ethnic Armenian descent were Greek culturally though.The empire straddled Europe and Asia. Modern Turkey incorporates the Asian part as well as Rumelia in Europe which includes the old capital Constantinople . The Turks essentially started a new empire however, signified by the new name, Istanbul, which they gave to the capital. They considered it a continuation of their Turkish Ottoman Empire, though, rather than a continuation of Byzantium. I think historically it's always been the Greeks who've looked back to Byzantium. 
Windemere
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 10:11
Originally posted by Windemere

I think that the Greeks are the modern heirs of Byzantium. It was a polyglot empire but ethnically, politically, linguistically, religiously etc. the Greeks were the dominant element.
That is not true actually. Neither ethnically nor linguistically Greeks were dominant. Otherwise there would be no attempts to homogenize Byzantine population by moving Slavs, Armenians, Greeks etc. here and there. As for culturaly,  it was Byzantine culture which was created by interaction of different nations -- Romans,  Greeks, Thracians, Illirians, Slavs, Armenians and many others depending on time.

Most of the Emperors were of Greek ethnicity, though a few were Armenian. Even the emperors of ethnic Armenian descent were Greek culturally though.
Starting from Constantine up to 6th century you can hardly find a Greek emperor. Some emperors later (like Porphyrogenetus) obviously didn't have any Greek conciousness either. Alsko keep in mind how many Emperors had mothers of all sorts of different nationalities.

I think historically it's always been the Greeks who've looked back to Byzantium. 
I think culturally it's always been the whole Europe who've looked to Byzantium.
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote nikodemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 10:51
Originally posted by Anton

That is not true actually. Neither ethnically nor linguistically Greeks were dominant. Otherwise there would be no attempts to homogenize Byzantine population by moving Slavs, Armenians, Greeks etc. here and there.

The Emperors transferred slavs to areas in Asia Minor where the greek element was dominant and Greeks from Asia Minor to the Balkans rural areas where there was a need to strengthen the greek presence.This shows that the Greeks were actually the people who run the empire, all the others were foreign population and the emperors were trying to assimilate the slavs by making them christians.For example Emperor Leon the Wise in the "Tactica" mentions the hellenisation of a small tribe of slavs by baptising them to the christian religion and teaching them to speak the greek language.

Edited by nikodemos - 26-Oct-2007 at 10:52
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 11:26
Originally posted by nikodemos

The Emperors transferred slavs to areas in Asia Minor where the greek element was dominant and Greeks from Asia Minor to the Balkans rural areas where there was a need to strengthen the greek presence.This shows that the Greeks were actually the people who run the empire, all the others were foreign population and the emperors were trying to assimilate the slavs by making them christians.

No. This shows that in numbers Slavs and Greek elements were close to each other. Because if Greek element would be dominant there would be no reason to make these traqnsfers. You also forget that there were all other sort of population transfers like constant movement of Armanian population.
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote nikodemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 11:38

No. This shows that in numbers Slavs and Greek elements were close to each other. Because if Greek element would be dominant there would be no reason to make these traqnsfers. You also forget that there were all other sort of population transfers like constant movement of Armanian population.

The greek popluation was the majority of the population in the empire but in some areas like the rural areas of the Balkans the slavs were numerous and exceeded the population of the Greeks.In order to weaken the presence of the slavs there, these slavs were transferred to areas where there was a strong Greek presence and at the same time these slavs were replaced by greeks from Asia Minor.If the Greeks were not the majority of the population  then there would be no reason for these transfers to take place.

Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 11:43
Starting from Constantine up to 6th century you can hardly find a Greek emperor. Some emperors later (like Porphyrogenetus) obviously didn't have any Greek conciousness either. Alsko keep in mind how many Emperors had mothers of all sorts of different nationalities.

The emperors after Maurice 6th century were mostly Greeks and Armenians. The Greek conciousness came after 1204 as we know (of course not a clearly national conciousness), with a wave of a classical studies renaissance(Palaeologian  renaissance) .

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 11:54
Originally posted by Athanasios

The emperors after Maurice 6th century were mostly Greeks and Armenians. The Greek conciousness came after 1204 as we know (of course not a clearly national conciousness), with a wave of a classical studies renaissance(Palaeologian  renaissance) .

That looks more like truth to me.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 11:57
Originally posted by nikodemos

If the Greeks were not the majority of the population  then there would be no reason for these transfers to take place.

No. There would be no reason to do that if the Greek would be a majority.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 12:53
The proportion between Romans(Greeks) and non Hellenized Slavs would still cause problems, even though the proportion was 4:1 . The most massive Slav wave was about 100.000.The first Slavic settlement were near Achrid lake. Around 730 A.C the region around the lake was inhabited by the Verzites tribe. A coalition of slavic tribes was organized in the area of today's  Greek -Fyrom boarders under the rule of Hatczon. This area is said to be slavicized btw 6th-9th cent. but the slavic population was Hellenized by 10th century, creating the medieval macedonian culture .
As we know there were recorded 12 Slavic invasions(Danube boarders). This started by the early 6th century while the Byz.army was in war with Persians and OstroGoths and the northern boarders were not guarded efficiently . So the invasions were not difficult to be organized.At the beginning they only pillaged and slaughtered. Only when they realized the usage of Roman citizens as specialized workers , they moved Greek populations from Thrace and Macedonia to their homeland(northern of Danube river). Some of these captives is said to be released after the Avar invasion.
Konstas II and Justinian II made some aggressive campaigns against the Slavs who settled in the areas of modern Greece (and other emperors of course) and they slaughtered thousands of Slavs -who wanted independence - and moved about 300.000 to Asia minor. These campaigns took place in Thrace and Macedonia. I think  that in the end only two slavic tribes, who lived near the mount Taygetos ,gain independence  by the Byzantine state. An interesting incident happened near Nestos river were emperor Justinian II trusted to the local slavic population (Smolenoi) the guarding of the narrow passages near Strymon river. It seems that these slavic populations regarded the Bulgarians as enemies.

Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 14:38
Originally posted by Athanasios

An interesting incident happened near Nestos river were emperor Justinian II trusted to the local slavic population (Smolenoi) the guarding of the narrow passages near Strymon river. It seems that these slavic populations regarded the Bulgarians as enemies.

That was a bad idea. In 837, the same Smoliani tribe revolted and together with the Presian I army took the town of Philippi, cutting the road from Thessaloniki to Constantinople. The entire Byzantine policy towards the Slavs you mentioned above was wrong and made them a natural allies of the Bulgarian state (and later an integral part of it).
300 000... that's a huge number. The entire population on the Balkans (without the city of Constantinople) was estimated 1 000 000-1 300 000 in the early Medieval period. That's from where came the expression "the slavic ethnic sea".

Edited by Desperado - 26-Oct-2007 at 14:50
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 15:16
You might have right .Since the estimation comes from chronographers , it might be unreliable.

In 837, the same Smoliani tribe revolted and together with the Presian I army took the town of Philippi, cutting the road from Thessaloniki to Constantinople.

Do you have any details of this revolt's time frame?

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote londoner_gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 17:45
It is difficult and symplistic  trying to calculate slavs:greek balance in Byzantium and draw conclusions on which element predominated in order to determine ethnic influence oir hegemony especially if by that you mean an eventual level of Bulgarian influence and strength....Slavs were equally loyal or disloyal subjects on both sides of the Bulgaro-Byzantine border,Both countries relied on them and often had to supress their rebellions...also the eastern and western border of the empire changed dramatically . Often the empire lost all its Asian possessions and had solely to rely on its balkanic ones and vice versa...However the anatolians I would rather call "helenised" than greeks apart from the coastal line maybe wich is the same in the Balkans...I doubt also the Greco-Armenian symbiosis.Geoffroy de Villehardouin for example states that these two ethnosses traditionnally hate each other,therefore the reason for the Armenians to be loyal subjects at some stages was due not to the Greekness of the East Roman empire but to it's complete lack of belonging to any particular ethnos! Lets not confuse the use of Greek language with the Hellenic ethnos it was even clearly stated in a citation above in our topic which I will find and paste beneath in a minute...In the Western Rome latin was official but that didnt mean that all subjects of the empire could trace their roots in Latium!
here is the example: At the time of the conquest of the Peloponnesus by Villehardouin, four ethnical elements are distinguished by Philippson: (1) Remains of the old Hellenes, mixed with Slavs, in Maina and Tzakonia, (2) Byzantine Greeks (i.e., Byzantinised Hellenes, and settlers from other parts of the Empire) in the towns. (3) Greek-speaking Slavo-Greeks (sprung from unions of Slavs and Greeks). (4) Almost pure Slavs in Arcadia and Taygetus. The 2nd and 3rd classes tend to coalesce and ultimately become indistinguishable (except in physiognomy).
-Those Byzantine Greeks that I would rather name Greek speaking Byzantines are actually all those Thracians , Bythinians,Paphlagonians,Galicians and Phrygians -they comprised the bulk of the Byzantine population.Their relation to the "proper Helenes I would accept to be around 4:1 or even more in their favor of course...

Edited by londoner_gb - 26-Oct-2007 at 19:15
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote londoner_gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 18:43
 Therefore by my calculations the ethnic heritage of the BG and Greek nations are:
                     BG                                             
 1/Thracian substract-50-70%           
 2/Slavic-10-20%                           
 3/Byzantinized former
Thracians,Bythinians,Phrigians,Galicians , Hellenes  -10-20%
4/other-1-10%
5/Turanic-2-5%

Nowadays Greeks 
1/  Byzantine - former Thracians,Bythinians,Phrigians,Galicians etc/pure Hellenes excluded!/-30-70%
2/pure Hellenes- 20-40%
3/slavic-10-15%
4/other-5-10%
5/Turanic-2-5%

Note:
 By other I understand Albanian,Armenian Syrian and other elements that at some points in history settled in the Area
Turanic- is the Turkic genes eventually attributed to the later Turks, with the important note that I believe that even nowadays Turks are mainly descending from local stuff rather than the imported turkic element from Central Asia!

Edited by londoner_gb - 26-Oct-2007 at 18:45
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 18:50
...and what about the pre-Ottoman Turanic percentage? The Avars not only had asiatic Bulgars in their empire, which reached into the Balkans (and territories of modern day Bulgaria), but they had relations with Slavs which would have diluted this whole genepool thing.

Edited by Seko - 26-Oct-2007 at 18:51
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote londoner_gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:11
 _seko you know my position that the proto Bulgars were of cimmerian/Sarmatian/Scythian stock...whether they had or not Turkic elite at some point of their history doesnt much change the whole picture..the same I could say about the turko-Mongolian genes in the Avars-far from predominant!
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:21
Originally posted by londoner_gb

the same I could say about the turko-Mongolian genes in the Avars-far from predominant!

Only problem is that you know nothing, you only assume it without any proof.

Avar language was recorded to be same as the Huns. How would you know their genetic composition? At best it was mixed but most agree it was predominantly Turkic.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote londoner_gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:26

I think culturally it's always been the whole Europe who've looked to Byzantium.
The Byzantine influence on Bulgaria,Serbia,Romania and the bulk of the former Russia is considerably higher than over the rest of the Europe/mostly Western /who were in the Roman-catholic orbit...
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote londoner_gb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:30
Originally posted by Yiannis

the same I could say about the turko-Mongolian genes in the Avars-far from predominant!

Only problem is that you know nothing, you only assume it without any proof.

Avar language was recorded to be same as the Huns. How would you know their genetic composition? At best it was mixed but most agree it was predominantly Turkic.
Yiannis the proper Turko-Mongolian ethnicities were never strong in numbers..Look at the population density in Mongolia I dont think it was any different back then...on their way towards Europe they intermixed with so many Ugro-Finnic,Iranian and European ethnosses that finally they showed themselves to us much changed ethnically compared to what they were at their departing point! Kind of an "avalanche effect"...-I would compare them to the Arab genes in the Arabic world-do you think that a scattered nomadic population in a predominantly desert peninsula was able to change ethnically the huge areas in North Africa,Asia and Even the Iberian peninsula in Europe?It was a political and cultural hegemony not a genetic one!

Edited by londoner_gb - 26-Oct-2007 at 19:48
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:40

_seko you know my position that the proto Bulgars were of cimmerian/Sarmatian/Scythian stock...whether they had or not Turkic elite at some point of their history doesnt much change the whole picture..the same I could say about the turko-Mongolian genes in the Avars-far from predominant!

Not so fast lgb. I understand your position no matter how contrary to mainstream history you feel. Try as you might, you cannot hide the Eurasian Turanid influence of the Bulgars. It seems that you have a special affinity to tribes living almost a thousand years before the 'great migrations', the Thracians. Yet you ommit more recent develoements that would also effect the ethnic composition of Bulgars in Europe. In the case of the Slavs, they were also mixed with the asiatics. Especially under the Avars. I have no clue as to the percentages but it is a likely scenario. Especially when Avars had relations and created mixed offspring. Not only that but your percentage you attribute for Thracian ancestry in modern Bulgarians is weak.

Slavs in the Balkans have been also been described as "scores of dissociated tribes," living in villages, herding, farming and sharing as within a family. They fished, kept bees, made pottery and  weaved baskets. Merchants from Constantinople and Thessalonica came and sold them jewelry, silks and spices and gave contact with Byzantine culture, including Christianity.

Following the defeat of the Avars by Emperor Heraclius in the 620s, many Slavs broke free of Avar control. Some Slavs came under the authority of Avars, and some voluntarily or involuntarily joined the mounted Avar forces as infantry. Some Slavs moved farther west than others, to become known as Slovenes, Slovaks, Croats and Serbs. The Slavs mixed with people indigenous to the Balkans, except for those indigenous peoples who had fled to coastal and other areas hoping for imperial protection. Heraclius did what he could to protect these refugees and to win back control over the Balkans. He recovered Greece from Slavic control, but he felt compelled to grant Croats and Serbs settlement rights in the Balkan northwest, hoping they would guard the area from other incursions.

The Bulgars have been described as a Turkic people, speaking a language said to be related to that of the Huns, Khazars and Avars. They were a herding people rather than farmers - as were the people of Mongolia. The Bulgars had worked and fought their way westward from Asia, raiding for plunder in Constantinople's empire in the Balkans, during the rule of Justinian I, and then retreating.

The Bulgars are described as having been under Avar domination. A man named Kubrat, Kuvrat or Kurt, meaning "Wolf," rose to prominence among the Avars and Bulgars. He had a Bulgar mother and an Avar father - males of a dominant people often taking women from among those they dominate. Kubrat grew up as a hostage in Byzantium. Between the years 630 and 635, in the Ukraine (north of Constantinople's empire), Kubrat, freed from captivity, organized a federation consisting of Avars and Bulgars - Onoguria.  

Living more than 200 years side by side with the Slavs, and intermarrying with them, the Bulgar's difference from the Slavs diminished. The Slavs had been more culturally advanced, and it was their alphabet and language that the Bulgars adopted. Bulgaria was organized and united to the degree that it became the first Slavic state on the Balkan peninsula worthy of being called a state. 

The modern Bulgarians are descendants of two peoples - the Bulgars, a nomadic Turkic people from Central Asia who settled in the Balkans in the 7th century, as well as of a number of southern Slavic tribes who had done the same a century earlier. Together the two groups formed the First Bulgarian Empire in 681. The Bulgars were later assimilated by the Slavs, who outnumbered them, but their name was retained.

To an extent the Bulgarians were also influenced by the indigenous Romanised and non-Romanised Thracian and Daco-Getic population, which had lived in the territory of modern Bulgaria before the Slavic invasion. However, the number of Thracians and Getae had been reduced significantly by the 6th century due to repeated invasions of barbarians; thus their influence in the formation of the modern Bulgarians was less pronounced than that of the other two peoples.

Edited by Seko - 26-Oct-2007 at 19:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>