Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Palestinian Statehood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Palestinian Statehood
    Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 02:50

Today the US has affirmed its support of the creation of a Palestinian state. The US proclaims the need of a Palestinian state in its policy of pacifying the larger region.

""Frankly it is time for the establishment of a Palestinian state," Ms Rice told reporters in a news conference which she held with the Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas. "

In addition to American support Israel seems ready to at least consider giving East Jerusalem up as the capital of the new state, while the rest would remain in Israel.

"Meanwhile the Israeli PM has hinted he may consider giving up Palestinian districts in Jerusalem in a peace deal. "

This is an important step in solving the conflict, however, the White House in my opinion has a bad track with the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. The initial talks with the late Arafat, and the Israeli leadership promised a Palestine state, however, diplomacy never worked out, and violence eventually resurged. Furthermore, we have the tendency of non-neutrality by the US due to contemporary trends such as pseudo-religious Pro-Israeli stances by Southern Protestants, and a heavy Jewish lobbies.

Hopefully this solution will get resolved within the next few months without any further armed conflict frankly diplomacy is absolutely necessary. I hope that the extremists on both sides do not ruin this motion, and some sort of peace is established.

Nevertheless, in addition to independence there are many other issues that will need to be addressed such as the wall, and retaining of air, and sea superiority by Israel in earlier treaties. In order for this to work in the long term the Palestinian state, and its people need to have sovereignty over their own air, and land, and not be restricted in their economic activities. Peace in the "holy land" is long overdue, and this at least for now looks like the best news in a while.

Edited by es_bih - 16-Oct-2007 at 02:52
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 06:21
As hopeful as I am to see peace talks come to fruition in the holy land, I fear the only way that will come about is when either palestinians can return home and live in Palestine/Israel/whatever one wants to call it, or one side completely destroys the other.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have a separate Palestinian state; where will it be*?  In Palestine?  A partition of some of Israel's territory?  Then you'll just have the palestinians wanting the rest and the jews wanting that which was just given up.

*The link didn't work for me so if its mentioned in the article my bad.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 06:49
Effectively meaningless, aimed at appeasing voters in the west rather than dealing with realities.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 08:43
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Effectively meaningless, aimed at appeasing voters in the west rather than dealing with realities.

The White House before that also had talks with Isreal warning them to "restrain." However, effectively it does not seem like much will happen from this measure, it is still just words with no real actions being undertaken as of yet.

Nevertheless, this article brings up an interesting prospect of long awaited Palestinian independence. What does everyone think on this prospect, and the ability of such a measure to sucessfuly be carried out.

I have adressed it a little in my original post; I believe it is possible, and it is about time prolonging it will only splinter groups even further. The one real problem that might take longer to get resolved is the Jerusalem issue. Neither side wants it to go to the other, and the proposal of two Jerusalems seems to make the most sense with the Eastern area forming a Palestinian capital. Open border policies need to be implemented since the Palestinian territories are splintered and Isreal would most likely not move an inch closer to previous territorial arrangments.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 13:16
es_bih, im very pessimistic about the Holy land, im not to sure how genuine Israel (or Fatah let alone Hamas) really is in finding a proper peace, or how hard the USA will push Israel on real compromise. This is politics being played,a defensive/reactive move. The US is very concerned and active on staving off the growing strength and influence of Hamas. Otherwise they wouldn't be so nice to Fatah. Israel needs a push to be nice most of the time, otherwise it would of been quite happy smashing both (if such things as the international media wasn't around).

For me, the memory of the USA allowing Israel to flatten Lebanon over a handful of soldiers is still too fresh. It tells me that the current US administration doesn't give much more in the way of human life than the IDF. Maybe this is just like the 2006 war in Lebanon, im sure the alliance of the 'willing' is trying to at least manage or clip the hostile proxies (Hamas in this case) just in case they want to go after the bigger fish.

Edited by Leonidas - 16-Oct-2007 at 13:24
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 17:09
Great analysis Leo.
Israel will contine to do its utmost to undermine its neighbours.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 18:48
Originally posted by Leonidas

es_bih, im very pessimistic about the Holy land, im not to sure how genuine Israel (or Fatah let alone Hamas) really is in finding a proper peace, or how hard the USA will push Israel on real compromise. This is politics being played,a defensive/reactive move. The US is very concerned and active on staving off the growing strength and influence of Hamas. Otherwise they wouldn't be so nice to Fatah. Israel needs a push to be nice most of the time, otherwise it would of been quite happy smashing both (if such things as the international media wasn't around).For me, the memory of the USA allowing Israel to flatten Lebanon over a
handful of soldiers is still too fresh. It tells me that the current US
administration doesn't give much more in the way of human life than the IDF. Maybe this is just like the 2006 war in Lebanon, im sure the alliance of the 'willing' is trying to at least manage or clip the hostile proxies (Hamas in this case) just in case they want to go after the bigger fish.
I agree with that, and have posted a similar opinion myself. The problem is that the White House is run by lobbies when it comes to issues such as this especially. This seems more of a slap on the wrist on Isreal than anything serious. Yes you're right no one can forget the way Isreal had been able to invade another sovereign country, and devestate it over a dubious claim.

The issues of splitting Jerusalem seems plausible, and it should be at least some sort of settlement for a new Palestinian state.

Edited by es_bih - 16-Oct-2007 at 21:04
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 03:10
I took a shit today.

Edited by Mughaal - 08-Dec-2007 at 06:15
Mughal e Azam
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 05:39

?

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 05:39
I second the "?".

-Akolouthos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 07:56
Make that three. ?

BTW much more interesting than the topic at hand I must say.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 10:31
"?"^4
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 14:46
^ me too! Who do the doo doo?
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 21:35
Meaning, this news article is worth as much as doo doo.
Two sides of the same coin.
Mughal e Azam
 Post Reply Post Reply