Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whats your favorite Italian city state?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mast View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats your favorite Italian city state?
    Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 14:52
Florence! I always play Tuscany in EU2! 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 14:54
Fiume
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 17:48
Originally posted by Jr_Capablanca

Hello!

Venice...don`t know why though.

/Capa

ships trade, longest living republic in the world (kinda)

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 22:13
longest living republic in the world (kinda)

San Marino actualy, founded 200 years before Venice, and still going.
Arrrgh!!"
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 15:20

Venice? They are a bunch of thieves!

Florence has had a greater impact on culture.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 17:26

But damned good thieves.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 19:55
all cultural adaptation and sucess is theivery in some way
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 10:26
Originally posted by Ptolemy

They were actually great innovators as well.

In terms of nautical/naval science, they were usually ahead of the game, at least in the context of Mediterranean galley wafare.

Their military shipyard (the Arsenale) was the largest industrial complex in Europe during the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

They introduced the galleasse (galeazza), a rebuilt form of great galley (galea grossa), which featured a heavy battery of ship-killing culverins in the forward superstructure, as well as light broadside pieces.  The six galleasses present at Lepanto in 1571 were said to have sunk 70 Ottoman galleys on their own.  Several of the Lepanto galleasses were later modified by Galileo, and their speed (never a strong point on these ships) was greatly improved.

Venetian heavy artillery was second to none, and John F. Guilmartin indicated in his classic (and back in print!) book, Gunpowder and Galleys, that their gunnery science was superior as well.  The Venetians typically shot at longer ranges than either Western galleys (Spanish, Maltese, etc) or Turkish galleys.

Venice also was a great center for printed material--many of the famous fencing masters of the time had their books published in the Republic (eg., the 1568 edition of Achille Marozzo's Opera Nova, the 1568 and 1604 editions of Camillo Agrippa's Trattato di scienza a'arme, the first edition of Giacomo di Grassi's treatise from 1570, Nicoletto Giganti's classic rapier text from 1606, etc).

Venice also had a sense of community which was comparatively unique, where class separation wasn't as much of an issue (as David Nicolle, PhD, noted--in the militia, the rich and poor trained together).

FWIW.

Peace,

David Black Mastro

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 16:46

It's not just their independance, I mean technically the clergy that live in the vatican are taken from all over the world. I mean the ruler is a pole. Also I would consider it Latin rather than italian. Although the rennaissance gave it a huge italian flavor...........

The Vatican has always saw itself as the leader of Italy. And it continues to see herself as the true leader of the Italian nation. Pope John Paul II himself called Italy "his country." Plus, the Latin is a formality, everyone in it speaks Italian, I know because I've been there!

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 21:36
The bronze horses on the greatest Cathedral of Venice are loot from Hypodrom (spelling?) of Constantinople...

Edited by Evildoer
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2004 at 12:53
Not much of a surprise.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 14:17
well if that is the case than they fit there alot better now than would fit in Istanbul today.
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 17:03
why
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 21:46
I'll have to go with two.. It is too hard for me to decide! I'll say Venice because of its military power. But I will also have to say Milan, just because I have adored the place forever. Milan is what got me interested in Italian Renaissance in the first place, though there is no reason in particular why.
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 00:36

The thing got me interested in Renaissance was art of early masters like Massaccio, and the Medici family (Florence).

The Canadian population in this forum is fast growing.

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 11:55
Weeeee..... all these nice places and i am going on a tour to Italy on the 22th, hurray!!!!!!! Are there Yu-Gi-Oh! cards on sale there and how much does a booster cost?
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 17:09
Ferrara and Modena. On family ties. 
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 04:37

I don't like some of the things which Venice has done, but I do like Venice in terms of the city itself and how it managed to grow and become beautiful in the most unlikely of environments.

Also I did a course on the Renaissance recently and Florence is simply a asight to behold. A true leader in terms of culture and magnificence in an area where each city was trying to outdo the other in those fields.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 13:26
In terms of sheer influence, nobody beats Roma Aeterna. The Papal state (today the Vatican) is the longest surviving state in Europe. Even if you discount its early beginnings, it has been a major force on the European and world scene since the 6th century.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12