Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women Priests in the South of Italy and in Sicily

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women Priests in the South of Italy and in Sicily
    Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 20:39

Women Priests in the South of Italy and in Sicily

Guilia%20Runa%20Woman%20Priest

There is good evidence to accept that from the 2nd to the 6th centuries AD, women priests functioned in the South of Italy and in Sicily. Here are some examples:

1. A fourth-century tombstone (image to the right) records the burial of Guilia Runa, woman priest.

2. Another inscription of the 5th century records the life of "Leta Presbitera": "Sacred to her good memory. Leta the Presbyter lived 40 years, 8 months, 9 days, for whom her husband set up this tomb. She preceded him in peace on the day before the Ides of May". The epitaph refers to a presbyter Leta, having died at just over forty, for whom her husband had set up a tomb; this inscription comes from the catacomb of Tropea, a small town that has offered the most consistent epigraphical and monumental documentation of Paleochristian Bruttium. See image below.

B(onae) m(emoriae) s(acrum). Leta presbitera/vixit annos XL, menses VIII, dies VIIII/ quei (scil. cui) bene fecit maritus/ Precessit in pace pridie/idus Maias

Up to now many scholars have always construed the term presytera as the wife of the presbyter. New evidence suggests that the Leta of the epigraph of Tropea was a true and proper presbytera: that is, a woman who was practising the sacerdotal ministry in the Christian community of Tropea. An analysis of the archeological evidence, as well as literary evidence, including Pope Gelasius letter (494 AD) and the testimony of Bishop Atto of Vercelli (9th cent.), has led Professor Giorgio Otranto to firmly conclude to the presence of ministerial women priests in the South of Italy and Sicily.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 19:28
Another good article, Tyranos! With regard to the admission of women to the priesthood, both supporters and opponents turned to the ancient world, some with disparate results. The church has traditionally been opposed to conferring Orders on women because Jesus did not call on any woman to be one of the twelve apostles. Thus, the church interprets that as the explicit will of the Savior to confer sacerdotal powers upon man alone, and further interprets that, because of his natural resemblance to Jesus, only man can sacramentally express the role of Christ himself. The opposing view (also turning to ancient Christianity) cogently argue that the current position of the church is due to the view of an ancient culture where perception is that of an inferior status of women. I tend to agree with the latter.

Edited by morticia - 09-Oct-2007 at 19:29
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 22:13

Some people feel that Women and Power dont mix, I agree to some extent to be honest. There has been plenty of female priests in the Ancient world of course. Personally, I dont mind much the idea of women in the priesthood, as long the  person is surely capable and fit for the job, just like in any other field. I do strongly believe Catholic priests should be allowed to marry, like it was originally.

* I think Mary Magdalene has near-Apostile status, and she was the closest Apostle to Jesus.

Edited by Tyranos - 09-Oct-2007 at 22:15
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 04:41

There is good evidence to accept that from the 2nd to the 6th centuries AD, women priests functioned in the South of Italy and in Sicily.

I don't think that priests is the most accurate term to define these women. Certainly in modern usage presbyter has become synonymous with priest but in the time period you state that was not the case. At that time presbyter merely meant Elder (as in Elder of the church) it was the Presbyter's job to act as either a council to assist the bishop, or as representatives of a bishop when he was not able to be present.

Therefore it would not be outrageous for women to act in an advising role, sort of like a modern church group meeting.

Also it is well documented that women were quite active in the early church acting as deaconesses with the role of teaching the catechumens, performing baptism on women (this was done in the nude during this time, something scandalous for a male priest to do), they also took care of the spiritual needs of the ill, imprisoned and all those who were unable to go to the church, they were in charge of the choir and presided over the eucharist.

Therefore, in the modern Catholic church there is no difference in the roles of women from the ancient deaconess to the modern church helper. The only difference is the lack of an ecclesiatical title of prestige, which if that is the only reason for performing a role for a church is completely self-serving and unchristian.

Thus, obviously women have been important throughout church history, but historically in the orthodox churches they were never given duties assigned specifically to the priesthood, and as such they were never priests as we would know the term.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 04:58

I think Mary Magdalene has near-Apostile status, and she was the closest Apostle to Jesus.

And why would you believe that, ALL evidence of her existence states that she gave donations of money to Jesus along with other women, followed and heard Jesus' message along with other women and then went to his tomb along with other women.

It seems to me that Mary Magdalene was somewhat of a Jesus "groupie". In that she was considered a sinner and was rejected by everyone around her, everyone except Jesus, but that's not even the case since even at his Ressurection and appearance to her he mutters:

'Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, "I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God."'"

Why would say this if this was his "closest apostle". I think he chose her because she wanted herself to be chosen by Christ, not the other way around.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply