Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBulgarian origins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 30>
Poll Question: Bulgarians =Thracian descendants?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [13.85%]
21 [32.31%]
4 [6.15%]
16 [24.62%]
4 [6.15%]
11 [16.92%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
londoner_gb View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulgarian origins
    Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 21:56
Originally posted by Anton

Seko, the evolution that you provided contradicts to many facts described in Byzantine sources. They did not move west in 630 if 200 years before they where described north of Black Sea and even in south of Danube as foederats of Byzantine Empire. Actually there is no a single reference placing them easter than that.

There is an old song of the Macedonian Bulgars that supports Anton's instead of Seko's idea of far -Eastern  travel....

"The Migration of people from the Land at the Earth's end to the Danube" -name of the song

In brief it tells about a huge army of migrants led by the"King of China"  /who is doing war to all  the kings of the world!!!/ -reaching the danubian lands  It says that the Chinese King crossed the land of the arabs on his way to the danube/maybe means the lands of the Turkic peoples/...The danubian King prays the God Koleda!! that the Danube doesnt Freeze so the enemy couldnt cross it! Unfortunately it freezes the Chineze king is able to cross it and Bulgarians are defeated and enslaved...

Chinese King and people must be the Huns... 
Interesting is the mentionig many times in the text of the God Koleda!-denoting the very old origin of the song/at one point we also have dead people to be"sent to the gods"!!/... Irish sagas also confirm that Koled was deified!!! as well as the Athos manuscripts ...
We see a firm root of Koled in the Bulgarian folkloreStar

Edited by londoner_gb - 12-Oct-2007 at 22:42
ΡΟΛΙΣΤΕΝΕΑΣΝ / ΕΡΕΝΕΑΤΙΛ / ΤΕΑΝΗΣΚΟΑ / ΡΑ
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 23:04

Hunns, in fact, were TURKIC people.

This song could very well desrcibe the impression of Slavic population of Balkans about the invasion of nomadic Bulgars.

Bulgars in fact were a part of Hunn confederation and Hunns indeed came from China.

Or this song could also be about Mongol invasion in the 13th century.  Mongols indeed came from the northern borders of China and crossed Arab lands on their way to Europe.

Not to say, that their army had large numbers of Chinese soldiers and Kara-kitai (Chatai/Ghatai) horsemen.

Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 23:28
LOL

I just read that Koleda/Koliada is an ancient Slavic god of the Son and and the change of the son cycle. Unfortunately, the link is in Russian only:

Apparently, there is no any connection with the ancient Thracians in this regard.

The cult of Koleda was spread among all the Slavs, Eastern and Western, Russians and Poles.

There are still a tradition of Kaledovanie in Ukraine, Russia, Poland, actually,  all the Slavic countries  AFAIK and Romania, when the people during the Chritsmas go from house to house and make a small performance.

It's obvious that the talented monk just added another Slavic god to his fantastic geneology together with Perun and company.

I don't understand why we should seek the proofs of modern Bulgarian-Thracian connection in this fantastic story, written by a skillful monk. Thumbs%20Down

I think there are much more obvious evidence for that than those fantasies.
Σαυρομάτης
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 23:39
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Hunns, in fact, were TURKIC people.

This song could very well desrcibe the impression of Slavic population of Balkans about the invasion of nomadic Bulgars.

Bulgars in fact were a part of Hunn confederation and Hunns indeed came from China.

Or this song could also be about Mongol invasion in the 13th century.  Mongols indeed came from the northern borders of China and crossed Arab lands on their way to Europe.

Not to say, that their army had large numbers of Chinese soldiers and Kara-kitai (Chatai/Ghatai) horsemen.

Indeed it is called the King and army of "Chatay"...I was going to talk about amalgamation of different invasions in  the song but I already was trying to prove 2 points and didnt want to include a third one... I also though of Chenghiz like you... but unlike You I didnt see it as possible Bulgar raids-in that case it would have belonged to the Greek folklore instead of the Bulgarian...
I will further add sarmat that I am sure that You are Turkish and what ideas You officially support...I understand You are trying to get a place under the european sun/EU/...I know how hard it is to obtain it/judging by our own Bulgarian efforts and sacrifices/
 But let me tell you something..You better find someone else to convince them they are turks or turkic or turannic or anything of the sort...
Why dont you try with the greeks for a change?I am not racist or anything..the jokes about the greeks were not from an ill feeling and apologies to whoever took them seriously...but in this topic I am actually trying to find a rational explanation to a feeling deeply rooted in every single bulgarian-That ,although we are good neighbours, we are not related with the turks!!!
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 23:58
LOL
You got it wrong. In fact, I'm Russian.
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 00:13
I just wanted to add that BTW the fact that Hunns were Turkic is proved besides the others by Russian historians. Unfortunately, not many of their works are translated into English by now.

It is aslo commonly believed that ancient Bulgars were Turkic, there is enough evidence to prove this. The neo theory about Iranic Bulgars seems to me a little bit too artificial. And even the article in Bulgarian Wikipedia calls it "fantastic."

So, all the above seems very natural to me, and I don't need to be a Turk to believe all that.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 13-Oct-2007 at 00:14
Σαυρομάτης
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 00:23
 Sarmat You are still suffering from the communist brainwash!! I am sorry Your Moscow only dates from the 14 c. or so...If You are jealous of other peoples rich past this is not the right way to show it!
You are always trying to sabotage our line of though with irrelevant side remarks!If your people knows of Koleda only as a deity mine also had it as a person and ruler! Pop Iovcho is not alone there is 2 other history books with a bit different genealogy of kings -proving they evolved separately using different sources!

Edited by londoner_gb - 13-Oct-2007 at 00:31
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 00:42
Ok.

You arguments are: 1) I am a Turk, 2) I am suffering from the communist brainwash.

Nothing more substantial?

Koleda is a deity from Slavic pantheon, this is the fact. It's also the fact that there were no Bulgarians 700 BC.

And it's obvious that the monk just tried to create a decent geneology for Bulgarian rulers based on his knowledge of some ancient history and Slavic pagan pantheon. I already wrote that totally the same techniques were empolyed by other Medieval chronists.

For example, Iselandic monk Snorry Sturluson wrote that Odin and Tor were ancient Scandinavian kings who ruled Scandinavians when they fought in Troy.

The same thing here, except that instead of Odin and Tor, Bulgarian history-creator writes about Slavic deities Perun and Koled.

Let me tell you what I think now. For some reasons you still didn't get it.

I am totally convinced that modern Bulgarians are descendants of Ancient Thracians, as well as they are descendants of Slavs and Turkic Bulgars.

However, I don't think you need to quote that fantastic list from the Bulgarian monk if you want to prove that. The evidence for that is all around.

Why do you base all your argumentation on this fantastic chronicle? I can't understand that.

And you can relax, I'm not jelous of your reach and ancient past. I'm totally happy with my Barbaric, short Russian history. Big%20smile

P.S.

For your information the first references to my Moscow were made in 12 century, but you are right it's nothing compare to the famous and ancient might of the great king Bolg that filled Egyptian pharohs with supernatural horror.  Smile 

Edited by Sarmat12 - 13-Oct-2007 at 00:53
Σαυρομάτης
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 00:57

Ok.

You arguments are: 1) I am a Turk, 2) I am suffering from the communist brainwash.

Koleda is a deity from Slavic pantheon, this is the fact. It's also the fact that there were no Bulgarians 700 BC.

Jesus is also a deity and Buddha and Zoroaster and so on and so on ..as a communist You deny they existed as persons in  Izrael India and Iran dont you?
Not to mention the Roman emperors who deified themselves- the Bulgarian history manuscript itself compares them with what Koled did...

Edited by londoner_gb - 13-Oct-2007 at 01:20
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 01:01

Ok.

And it's obvious that the monk just tried to create a decent geneology for Bulgarian rulers based on his knowledge of some ancient history and Slavic pagan pantheon. I already wrote that totally the same techniques were empolyed by other Medieval chronists.

For example, Iselandic monk Snorry Sturluson wrote that Odin and Tor were ancient Scandinavian kings who ruled Scandinavians when they fought in Troy.

The same thing here, except that instead of Odin and Tor, Bulgarian history-creator writes about Slavic deities Perun and Koled.

Let me tell you what I think now. For some reasons you still didn't get it.

I am totally convinced that modern Bulgarians are descendants of Ancient Thracians, as well as they are descendants of Slavs and Turkic Bulgars.

However, I don't think you need to quote that fantastic list from the Bulgarian monk if you want to prove that. The evidence for that is all around.

Why do you base all your argumentation on this fantastic chronicle? I can't understand that.

And you can relax, I'm not jelous of your reach and ancient past. I'm totally happy with my Barbaric, short Russian history. Big%20smile

P.S.

For your information the first references to my Moscow were made in 12 century, but you are right it's nothing compare to the famous and ancient might of the great king Bolg that filled Egyptian pharohs with supernatural horror.  Smile 
Why should the Irish put that stuff in their sagas then?! If its true then it automatically means they are not turkic because its too early in time-700BC...How comes Irish sagas coinside with Bilgarian medieval history books?!

Edited by londoner_gb - 13-Oct-2007 at 01:06
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 01:08
Originally posted by londoner_gb

Jesus is also a deity and Buddha and Zoroaster and so on and so on ..as a communist You deny they existed as persons in  Izrael India and Iran dont you?

Why should I deny that? There is contemporary evidence about Christ and enough side evidence about the existence of Zaratrushta and Buddha.

However, those people never were claiming that they are kings, but only prophets.

Tell me now about any ancient Greek chronicle or other antique source mentioning king Bolg?

And also tell me, do you honestly believe that all the Russians are communists?

Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 01:21
Originally posted by londoner_gb

Why should the Irish put that stuff in their sagas then?! If its true then it automatically means they are not turkic because its too early in time-700BC...How comes Irish sagas coinside with Bilgarian medieval history books?!

You want to prove your points based on Irish sagas which again were recorded not earlier than 10 AD with a lot of artificial stuff imported there by other Monks? This is, honestly speaking, anything but not reliable.

Check this out

When using these sources, it is, as always, important to question the impact of the circumstances in which they were produced. Most of the manuscripts were created by Christian monks, who may well have been torn between the desire to record their native culture and their religious hostility to pagan beliefs resulting in some of the gods being euhemerized. Many of the later sources may also have formed part of a propaganda effort designed to create a history for the people of Ireland that could bear comparison with the mythological descent of their British invaders from the founders of Rome that was promulgated by Geoffrey of Monmouth and others. There was also a tendency to rework Irish genealogies to fit into the known schema of Greek or Biblical genealogy.
Σαυρομάτης
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 01:23
Originally posted by Sarmat

Why should I deny that? There is contemporary evidence about Christ and enough side evidence about the existence of Zaratrushta and Buddha.

However, those people never were claiming that they are kings, but only prophets.

Tell me now about any ancient Greek chronicle or other antique source mentioning king Bolg?

And also tell me, do you honestly believe that all the Russians are communists?

The word' king' was written in 3 languages on Jesus' cross..Buddha was born a king..Not sure about Zaratustra anyway this is irrelevant for our narrative...

Edited by londoner_gb - 13-Oct-2007 at 01:29
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 01:27

In history those people are famous not as kings. And the sources about them do not have a gap in thousands years after their lifes.

Σαυρομάτης
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 01:44
Deification of Koled didnt happen 1000 years after him, neither the myths  and songs about him..I know that in the Slavic pantheon deities seem impersonal , but further down in the south Roman emperors were declared gods...after christianisation-saints etc...

Edited by londoner_gb - 13-Oct-2007 at 01:56
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 01:55
I clearly saw that the monk imputed Perun and Koled who were Slavic goods to his fictional geneology.

Even the Bulgarian song you cited is about the god Koled.

Σαυρομάτης
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 02:03
What I meant was that due to your remotenes and isolation in the forests this happened...You cannot prove the lack of real person in the root of each deity! like the bones of Saint Ivan Rilski you Russians stole from Bulgaria...

Edited by londoner_gb - 13-Oct-2007 at 02:08
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 02:15
I don't need to prove anything.

It's a fact that there was a Slavic God Koled and a Slavic God Perun.

It's a fact that Medieval Chronists created fictional geneologies by tracing their kinsmen to ancient nations mentioned by Roman and Greek historians and as a rule put the names of the pagan gods as their ancient rulers.

Your Bulgarian chronicle is just another example of this.

It's you who need to give at least a little antique evidence about the kings Perun, Koleda and Bolg.

But you can't do that, because there is no evidence for that.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 13-Oct-2007 at 07:59
Σαυρομάτης
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 02:42
Look sarmat understanding our peoples' mythologies is understanding ourselves...these are the base on wich we evolve as individual and national types,therefore a good knowlege of them is crucial and immesurably beneficial..read "Ego and Archetype" by C.g.Jung ...I dont know what so irritating you find in me doing this?! Dont look only at the factual side of it all but deeper..if few years or names are distorted this is not the most important!
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 02:48
 If I deny all links to Turks it is not because of racial hatred and arian bulldoo doo but because if I dont see even a hint of this neither in bulgarian mythology neither in folklore songs or old scholars writing I tend to see as an impossibility...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 30>