Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBulgarian origins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 30>
Poll Question: Bulgarians =Thracian descendants?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [13.85%]
21 [32.31%]
4 [6.15%]
16 [24.62%]
4 [6.15%]
11 [16.92%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulgarian origins
    Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 17:30
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Originally posted by Anton

What do  you mean by this  "primarily" ? These were examples of opposite influence. lgb also showed some other examples.

... scientists like Pifagorus, authors like Sophokles it will indeed change the whole picture. Those people and their achievements don't have any thing to do with Thracians.

Pythagoras had a slave called Zamolxis :) I would consider this as an example of how Thracian religion influenced Greek people. Some arrogant ancient and present Hellenes might think different though Wink
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 17:32
Originally posted by Yiannis

Not to mention that if we know anything today about Orphic Mysteries and Dionysus/Bacchus is only because of the Greeks who developed them and recorded them.

That is true. But it is not a reason to claim that influence was one way only, isn't it?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 17:38
Actually not exactly true. There is a suggestion that St. Trifon  bears a lot of features that are similar to Dionisios. I think there are Greek and Romanian customs similar to Trifon zarezan.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 18:27
St.Trifon is the protector of farmers and especially winegrowers. He was born in Lampsakos, close to Troy so not in Thrace.

Of course many Christian saints are related to pre-Christian deities. Is is no accident that e.g. the image of the christian God is so similar to the image of Zeus.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 18:29

Pythagoras had a slave called Zamolxis :) I would consider this as an example of how Thracian religion influenced Greek people. Some arrogant ancient and present Hellenes might think different though Wink

So what? Did Zamolksis prove the famous Pythagoras' theorem?

May be he also had some Skythian etc. slaves, so does it mean that the Pythagoras' discoveries should belong to modern Ossetians or what?

Sorry, I don't see any connection here.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 18-Oct-2007 at 18:32
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 18:53

Sorry, I don't see any connection here.

Because you simply don't want to.
londoner_gb View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 18:59

St.Trifon is the protector of farmers and especially winegrowers. He was born in Lampsakos, close to Troy so not in Thrace.

Of course many Christian saints are related to pre-Christian deities. Is is no accident that e.g. the image of the christian God is so similar to the image of Zeus.
Bythinia Phrygia an Paphlagonia were much more related to the thracians than to the hellenes...
You also "borrowed" ZeusWink by the way....
ΡΟΛΙΣΤΕΝΕΑΣΝ / ΕΡΕΝΕΑΤΙΛ / ΤΕΑΝΗΣΚΟΑ / ΡΑ
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 19:00

Yes, but where apart from Thrace he is worshiped as a protector of winegrowers?

Edited by Anton - 18-Oct-2007 at 19:04
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 19:03
Also, as far as I remember Dyonisios worshiping was preserved at least untill 3-4 cent AD.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 19:13

Because you simply don't want to.

I really want it. Please enlight me Smile
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 19:30

I really want it. Please enlight me Smile

Zalmoxis is not known simply because he was a slave of Pythagoras. He was Thracian god: 

Originally posted by wiki

Plato says in the Charmides dialogue that Zalmoxis was also a great physician who took a holistic approach to healing body and mind; not just the body, as was the Greek practice.

Smile

Edited by Anton - 18-Oct-2007 at 19:30
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 19:39
I know that; he also was a Dacian god.

And we discussed Zamolxis' possible relation to Lithuanian language in the thread about Dacians.

The slave apparently was named after him.

However, unfortunately, this episode is still not enough to prove that the influence of Thracians on Greeks was so strong.

Of course the interaction existed between Greeks and Thracians. But where there is a strong influence of Thracians on Greeks? Except that "Zamolxis took the holistic approach."  I'm afraid this episode is still very insignificant to talk about the Thracian influence.

I'm however open to discuss more evidence supporting your point if there is any.

Smile
Σαυρομάτης
Ioan-Assen II View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 19:56
Actually I think its very unshure what the influence of the Thracians on the Greeks was, because we dont have the Thracian point of view. Still its kind of safe to suppose that as far as religious practices and gods went the Thracians had influence on the Greeks(we have written prooves). We can also  suppose there was Greek influence on the Thracians also. I think the Thracians were influenced in art by the Greeks (Thracians beautiful treasures, similar to the Greek ones, are found mainly on the south part of Bulgaria). But still the influence in this sphere could have been in both ways. Yet I think, though I m a Bulgarian, that the Greek culture was superior to this of our ansestors. Why? Because even the Romans were very much influenced by the Greek culture (those Romans that thought Rome was the centre of the earth, plus geographically they are much more far from the Greeks than the Thracians). Also we have have those political theories in athens that lie in todays political systems in europe, we have the mathematicians, the physicians of ancient Greece. We have the beautiful ancient building in Athens. All in all, their culture was superior. This is not to say Thracians didnt have amazing culture themselves, they had, but still we dont have those amazing buildings as in Greece or any written notice of their discoveries.

Edited by Ioan-Assen II - 18-Oct-2007 at 20:04
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 20:25

Of course the interaction existed between Greeks and Thracians. But where there is a strong influence of Thracians on Greeks? Except that "Zamolxis took the holistic approach."  I'm afraid this episode is still very insignificant to talk about the Thracian influence.

I'm however open to discuss more evidence supporting your point if there is any.
Smile

So basically you have already three examples of how Thracian spirituality influenced Greek, say, "understanding of the world": Zalmoxis, Orpheus and Dionisius.You can add here episode described in Strabo about "ktistes" -- Thracian hermits, not eating meat.  Note, that I am not talking about architecture or literature or mathematics. All these examples force us to suggest that Thracian way of perception was different from Greek one and this is a field where Greekswere influenced by Thracians. Aren't there enough examples already to consider it as a rule? I am sure you may find more.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 20:29
Originally posted by Ioan-Assen II

I think the Thracians were influenced in art by the Greeks (Thracians beautiful treasures, similar to the Greek ones, are found mainly on the south part of Bulgaria).

Oh, come on, it is not "similar to greek one". Don't you see the differences? Again, why if they are similar it is necessarily Greek influence? These reminds me claims that Skythian "animal style" was created by Greek artists just because barbars couldn't do such beautifull things. Confused

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 20:36

Note, that I am not talking about architecture or literature or mathematics. All these examples force us to suggest that Thracian way of perception was different from Greek one and this is a field where Greekswere influenced by Thracians. Aren't there enough examples already to consider it as a rule? I am sure you may find more.

Yes, I would like to hear more about architecture and mathematics. Again nobody whould consider "non eating meat hermits" as a very specific feature and contribution of Greek civilization.

However, I know about Egyptian and Mesopotamian and generally, Middle Eastern (Phynician etc.) influence on Greek civilization in the areas of maths, architecture, science, philosophy, mythology etc. But looks like there is no such examples regarding Thracian influence (except perhaps some minor mythology areas).
Σαυρομάτης
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 20:36
Seems I find this thread interesting since I keep coming back here.

Would someone take the time to provide a small summary of definitive Thracian influences and lasting impressions on Bulgaria and the Bulgarians? My question is created out of sincerity towards knowledge and due to the fact of my own ignorance on this subject. By definitive I mean unambiguous literature. Is there such a thing or does one need to imply a leap of faith in order to make a connection?

Edited by Seko - 18-Oct-2007 at 20:37
Ioan-Assen II View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 20:38

Oh, come on, it is not "similar to greek one". Don't you see the differences? Again, why if they are similar it is necessarily Greek influence? These reminds me claims that Skythian "animal style" was created by Greek artists just because barbars couldn't do such beautifull things. Confused
I actually said that the influence in the art could have been in both ways (the Greeks influenced the Thracians and vise versa).

Edited by Ioan-Assen II - 18-Oct-2007 at 20:40
londoner_gb View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 21:22
Usually it is the younger culture that borrows deities ,idols and heroes from the older one.This assumption made me place the Thracian  at the roots of the Greek one...
 Spreaded through the Greek and Roman intermediary into western medieval culture we could see the Hero horseman as the Medieval knight incarnation of the chivalric model and stereotype,Orpheus could be seen at the roots of  the Medieval troubadours, I trace Cybele as the prototype of the later cult of the Virgin Mary...This is the base of the European  way of  percieving the world and interracting with it ...
Greeks may have found richer and more enduring ways to express and transmit the culture but the  archetypal prototype is what gives it a center and direction...
ΡΟΛΙΣΤΕΝΕΑΣΝ / ΕΡΕΝΕΑΤΙΛ / ΤΕΑΝΗΣΚΟΑ / ΡΑ
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 21:43

Yes, I would like to hear more about architecture and mathematics. Again nobody whould consider "non eating meat hermits" as a very specific feature and contribution of Greek civilization.

However, I know about Egyptian and Mesopotamian and generally, Middle Eastern (Phynician etc.) influence on Greek civilization in the areas of maths, architecture, science, philosophy, mythology etc. But looks like there is no such examples regarding Thracian influence (except perhaps some minor mythology areas).

Four examples for you are "minor areas". That's fine. But then I do not see any reasons to continue the discussion. You want me to show you examples of influences where Greeks were definitely more superior then Thracians (architecture, literature, western phylosophy). And then you claim that there was no influence at all. Are you sure you don't search the lost key under the light? Ermm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 30>