Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBulgarian origins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 30>
Poll Question: Bulgarians =Thracian descendants?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [13.85%]
21 [32.31%]
4 [6.15%]
16 [24.62%]
4 [6.15%]
11 [16.92%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
londoner_gb View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulgarian origins
    Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 16:43
-Yes,even the Bulgarian sources always called them either "Christians"/for the religion/ or "Greeks"/because of the official language/...
ΡΟΛΙΣΤΕΝΕΑΣΝ / ΕΡΕΝΕΑΤΙΛ / ΤΕΑΝΗΣΚΟΑ / ΡΑ
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 16:54
Originally posted by Yiannis

]

You mention that Tzetzes (a medieval writer) calls the Myrmidons (mythical people who dwelt in Thessaly in Central Greece - Achilles people) as "Bulgars" and you try to show that they're the same as the Bulgars that we know today.
When I point out that Tzetzes also mentions that: "Myrmidons were Bulgars, thus Huns" you choose to ignore it and stay with what you consider favorable to your views. No more comments from my side...

Well ethnically they are ,of course not culturally and linguistically because that has changed enormously for such a large time span...with this logic I can say that the population in the cyclades or Crete is not the same because other nations called them with different names and were under different suzerainty during these 3000 years!

Off course if by mythical you mean a people that has never existed I will not argue any further because we will be having different starting points!
I call the divine origin of Achilles mythical but not the existence in the past of Trojans, Danaians etc...

Edited by londoner_gb - 17-Oct-2007 at 17:01
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 17:20
Originally posted by Yiannis

]

You mention that Tzetzes (a medieval writer) calls the Myrmidons (mythical people who dwelt in Thessaly in Central Greece - Achilles people) as "Bulgars" and you try to show that they're the same as the Bulgars that we know today.
When I point out that Tzetzes also mentions that: "Myrmidons were Bulgars, thus Huns" you choose to ignore it and stay with what you consider favorable to your views. No more comments from my side...

I beter leave the answer to Tzetzes himself! There were during his time people on the same opinion like yourself Yainnis!

"...Paeonians are the Bulgarians.Do not believe those fools and think
that the Paeonians are different from them.
Those fools consider Axios to be different from Vardar
...as if they havent heard the songs of Homer
"Thus Pirehmi gathered the paeonian bowmen from the distant land
 of the wide Axios/Vardar/
There was a time when they were masters of the lands around Pyndus Larissa and Dyrahrium to the vicinity of Constantinople
until the time of the mightiest sovereign/he means BasilII/..."
 Bulgaria in IXc.

Edited by londoner_gb - 17-Oct-2007 at 17:32
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 19:22
My version of, "I can't believe I'm having this discussion Wacko "

londoner_gb (aka, gone bonkers) states:

Sheding light upon some Bulgarian habitats beyond the Thracian Bosporus/in Asia Minor/ altogether with the European Paeones/Tzetzes says:
"  Paeones aca Bulgares
Pyrehmes led the Paeones or Bulgarians,
from the river Axios,which is Vardar,
the strategos Pilemen led the Paphlagonians.
Dios and Epistroph led the Bythinians.

First of all, lgb, Tetze's works were from the 12'th century. Not a primary source of either the Trojan war or Bulgar entry into Thrace. Second, Paionia is a historical term representing the area of Macedonia and its inhabitants, the Paeonians. Who was Pyrehmes btw?

Accordin to wiki: By AD 400 the Paionians had lost their identity, and Paeonia was merely a geographic term.

Whether they were known as Thracians fighting for Troy is speculative.

Paionian tribes were considered to be both Illyrian and Thracian and the ancient writer, Herodotus, even compared the Paionians to the Thracians as a rude and barbaric people. Several eastern Paionian tribes including the Agrianes, clearly fell within the Thracian sphere of influence.The Paionians are sometimes regarded as descendants of the Phrygians of Asia Minor, large numbers of whom in early times are believed to have crossed over to Europe. Yet according to the national legend (Herodotus v. 13), they were Teucrian colonists from Troy. Homer (Iliad, book II, line 848) speaks of Paionians from the Axios fighting on the side of the Trojans, but the Iliad does not mention whether the Paionians were kin to the Trojans. Homer gives the Paionian leader as a certain Pyraechmes (parentage unknown); but later on in the Iliad Homer mentions a second leader, named Asteropaeus, son of Pelagon.

In Tzetzes time (12'th century) there were peoples known as Bulgars who lived in the area where the older Paeonians once lived in Macedonia. The name Bulgar was not present during the Trojan wars. That being the case you enacted some fancy leg work. You also purposefully ignored the part where Tzetzes calls them Huns. Even if that were true (the Huns did have Kutrigur and Onoghur tribes with them, aka Onuoghur who were porto-Bulgars) Tzetzes was still not a primary observer/source.

Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 22:24
  Dear Seko,
  -according to your logic the nowadays Russians should be denied any inheritance of the history of their lands prior to the arrival in the IXc of a handfull of norsemen,they should dig instead solely into scandinavian pre- IXc stuff and be denied all that is slavic!
In a similar fashion Frenchmen should be denied by law to pronounce the name Vercengetorix!!
Of what is proto Bulgar in our language and culture  is left only two words-kapishte and kumir, or actually three with the name itself which by the way is of uncertain origin.the culture and genotype of the nowadays Bulgarians are overhelmingly local...
On the topic of the Proto-Bulgars our scientists payed at least 90% of their attention.I am not trying to deny this but rather to balance it .

If French and Russians dont consider only the past of a small ruling minority that at a certain point in the middle ages created a statehood on their lands why should the Bulgars only be the exception?!

there is good info on proto-Bulgars here:http://www.kroraina.com/bulgar/rashev.html

Edited by londoner_gb - 17-Oct-2007 at 22:36
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 22:56
 Let There Be wiki:

In physical appearance, the Bulgarian population is characterized by the features of the southern European anthropological type with some additional influences. Genetically, modern Bulgarians are more closely related to the other Balkan populations - Macedonians, Greeks and Romanians, than to the rest of the Europeans.[2][3] On the other hand they are closely related to some Mediterranean islanders as Cretans and Sardinians.

[4]The ethnic contribution of the indigenous Thracian and Daco-Getic population, who had lived on the territory of modern Bulgaria before the Slavic invasion has been long debated among the scientists during the 20th century. Some recent genetic studies reveal that these peoples have indeed made a significant contribution to the genes of the modern Bulgarian population.[5] This is also apparent in the East Mediterranean anthropological type of the modern Bulgarians. [6]
The easternmost South Slavs became part of the ancestors of the modern Bulgarians, which however, are genetically clearly separated from the tight DNA cluster of the most Slavic peoples. This phenomenon is explained by the genetic contribution of the people who lived in the region before the Slavic expansion [7]. The frequency of the so called Slavic Haplogroup R1a1[8]ranges to only 14.7% in Bulgaria.
 The Asian genetic inflow by modern Bulgarians, probably introduced from the Bulgars and other steppe's peoples is indicated trough the limited presence of some rare alleles and haplotypes. [9]
Star The only mentioning of the Proto Bulgars is preceded by the word "probably" in the text above!!!Therefore the nowadays Bulgarians should dig underneath their feet while searching for their past and not in Pamir!-Thats what I think!
and if scholars like Tzetzes and Malalae are such idiots why did their works survive the test of time?!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 23:26
Thanks for the reply londoner_gb!

Regarding your first post from the two above, analogies among other peoples is not necessary for this debate. What the Russians or French may have been called before their modern states only makes your connection between the original Bulgars and those from the current landmass of modern Bulgaria look feable. True historians would take into consideration all documented accounts and then critique each one. Preferential treatment takes a back seat to nonpartiality.

After sharing a small bit of Bulgar history from their eastern European and Asian ancestry I then suggested that you share some of the Slavic influence. You went a bit further and dug up sources that are off the mark and unreliable. Digging up myths that are too distant to have a direct correlation is just asking for a rebuttal.

To answer your last post, I nor anyone else on this thread for this matter, never denied the rich Slavic and European ancestry of modern Bulgars. I assume we are on the same page here. What I did do is encourage you to divulge more than you offerred. However, I did not have the audacitiy to pin point a Bulgarian Thracian commonality to the extent that you have made.

In sum, by taking a holistic approach we could better understand the  ancestry of Bulgars. By taking modern history into account we could also speculate as to any bias I or you may have regarding our etiological perspectives. Since I do not deny a mixed population for the Bulgars I am open to all ethnic componentry. Ever since the Khan's were Christianized  and became Tsars their Slavic political fluence took precedance on down to the current day. Correctly so since the majority of Bulgarian people today are predominantly Slavic.  However, I find it interesting that you have a tendency to mock your own ancient heritage by only focusing on the local populations and its influence on European Bulgarian ethnicity, yet you omit pages (centuries) of Steppe ancestry.

Edited by Seko - 17-Oct-2007 at 23:29
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 00:31
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Martenitsa is practiced in Romania, the thing you posted is called Martishor there.

just cant find Mnemorut's post We happen to have almost the same story as the Romanian about the old woman Dochia that froze with her goatsDead
it's here ih the tale called:"Why March has 31 days":http://www.spellintime.fsnet.co.uk/Tales.htm#Marta
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 01:33
Originally posted by Seko

I find it interesting that you have a tendency to mock your own ancient heritage by only focusing on the local populations and its influence on European Bulgarian ethnicity, yet you omit pages (centuries) of Steppe ancestry.
 Ancien Greek culture lies at the root of the European culture-this is a well known fact! Much less known is that the Thracian culture lies at the root of the Ancient Greek achievment! Such powerful archetypal figures as the Goddes mother and Horseman hero amongst others  originated in Thrace! Therefore this is the fundation of what Europeans are as a civilisation...many of them will easily point out the Hellenic roots but will they know beyond that?I doubt it! Even less of them will know what happened with those Thracians... If todays Western culture is built on the above basis but reflected through the lence of the Greek and Roman cultures, the Folklore and Mythology of todays Bulgarians are a direct development and often an amazingly good preservation through time of that Thracian root!
I was happy and excited to shed light on it!
Sorry that in comparison with the above I rather neglected the fact that a handful of nomads brought the Chinese calendar into the Balkans and used it for few decades...
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 01:37
Originally posted by londoner_gb

Originally posted by Seko

I find it interesting that you have a tendency to mock your own ancient heritage by only focusing on the local populations and its influence on European Bulgarian ethnicity, yet you omit pages (centuries) of Steppe ancestry.
 Ancien Greek culture lies at the root of the European culture-this is a well known fact! Much less known is that the Thracian culture lies at the root of the Ancient Greek achievment! Such powerful archetypal figures as the Goddes mother and Horseman hero amongst others  originated in Thrace! Therefore this is the fundation of what Europeans are as a civilisation...many of them will easily point out the Hellenic roots but will they know beyond that?I doubt it! Even less of them will know what happened with those Thracians... If todays Western culture is built on the above basis but reflected through the lence of the Greek and Roman cultures, the Folklore and Mythology of todays Bulgarians are a direct development and often an amazingly good preservation through time of that Thracian root!
Sorry that in comparison with the above I rather neglected the fact that a handful of nomads brought the Chinese calendar into the Balkans and used it for few decades...

Like using all Caps, having exclamation points at the end of almost every sentence makes it seem like you are shouting.  You might not want to give this impression if you are in face not shouting.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 04:15
"Bulgarian civilization is a root of Hellenic civilization."  Confused

It reminds me of one crazy Russian "scientist" who "translated" the disc of Festus and some Etruskan inscriptions and said that they were written in Ancient Russian language.

I don't understand, why this topic isn't still moved to the historical amusement section.

I think we would feel much more comfortable discussing this "theory" there in a nice company of another progressive thinker, who suggested that "Japanese ruled a great Arian Empire 4OOO BC" and other nice fantazies.
Σαυρομάτης
Ioan-Assen II View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 09:08
Sorry but I find it unbelieveble and unlogical that a whole people would disapear (the thracians were also called the most numerous people after the idnians).
Of course in a way they seized to exist loosing their language with the times. I think its true that the  populace, that lived on the Bulgarian teritory, was romanized in the north and helenized in the south...BUT it was till the arrival of the slavs and the bulgars.
The bulgars gave us their nomadic state organization, the slavs: their language and the thracians: their genes (mainly). But how did the language become slavic one would ask, if we didnt bath in the slavic sea (as its obvious by the Bulgarian look today). Due to Boris I. He welcomed the students of Cyril and Metodius (after they were forced out of Velikomoravia - a true slavic country). Here Boris had few people with an alphabeth of a language, spoked by some of the people in his country (and the whole of Velikomoravia): bam he makes it a state language (and a church one) to differ his state from the ERE. Then u have years when the correspondense and the church and the administrative language is slavic: so in the end, the lands near the capital become slavisized due to the state policy. We forget that the whole of Romania was part of the Bulgarian state for a long time. How did it have the fate to not become slavized (as were the other part of the empire)? I think its due to the long distance of the capital (and the river), thus the people saved their language. But then again one would ask how did the hellenized tracians become slavised? I think its due to intermarrages, also I could see why some of the hellenized people in the south would want to become part of the bulgarian empire (and in this way slavized, because that is the empires official language) (the taxes in bg state at the beginning werent that big, compared to East Roman Empire).
I know that this theory is simplistic, but its the only logical we ve got. The proove is the genetic researches (we are mainly related to the Romanians and to the Greeks).

Edited by Ioan-Assen II - 18-Oct-2007 at 09:17
Ioan-Assen II View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 09:31

Much less known is that the Thracian culture lies at the root of the Ancient Greek achievment! Such powerful archetypal figures as the Goddes mother and Horseman hero amongst others  originated in Thrace!
I think as a neigbouring people, there was influence in both ways. Yet I think the greeks developed much more impressive culture than the thracians due to having an alphabeth and writing down their discoveries and due to being merchants and sailors.

Therefore this is the fundation of what Europeans are as a civilisation...many of them will easily point out the Hellenic roots but will they know beyond that?I doubt it!
Yet we have to bare in mind that  Greece gave us great philosopers and mathematicians. The greek culture (together with the roman) lie in the foundation of the european culture (if such exist).I think the greeks were much more rational than the thracian, but probably they were influenced by the tracians in a religious sense. Too bad our ansestors didnt have the custom to write.

Even less of them will know what happened with those Thracians... If todays Western culture is built on the above basis but reflected through the lence of the Greek and Roman cultures, the Folklore and Mythology of todays Bulgarians are a direct development and often an amazingly good preservation through time of that Thracian root!
I agree that Bulgaria is the direct heir of the Tracian culture and people (and also north of Greece and north of Turkey). Its obvious because of the saved customs from them, the genes, the words in the Bulgarian languange, the common basis between Bulgarian and Romania languages etc.

Of course the Bulgars play a vital role in our history, I could see why their influence is so great. It was them that created a medieval state on those lands, it was this state that helped to create this strange mix we are today (mainly Thracian, with slavic language). So in a way their influence was desisive, but ethnically we are the Thracians.

Edited by Ioan-Assen II - 18-Oct-2007 at 09:38
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 09:37
Originally posted by Sarmat12

"Bulgarian civilization is a root of Hellenic civilization."  Confused

It reminds me of one crazy Russian "scientist" who "translated" the disc of Festus and some Etruskan inscriptions and said that they were written in Ancient Russian language.

I don't understand, why this topic isn't still moved to the historical amusement section.

What exactly didn't you like in this particula post of lgb? That Bulgarian customs have their roots in Thracian ones? Or his statement that not only Greek culture influenced Thracian but also vice versa -- Thracian influenced Greek culture? What is so crazy in this two particular statements?
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 14:45
I totally agree that Thracians were ancestors of Bulgarians.

However, it's a big stretch to say that that Thracian civilization was in the root of Hellenic civilization.

I think it indeed was vice-versa.

And we know about Ancient Thracians only from Greek and Roman sources BTW.
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 15:00
One cannot be root of another -- they developed simultaneously. Orfism and Dionisios cults are examples of influences of Thracian culture on Greek one.

Edited by Anton - 18-Oct-2007 at 15:02
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 15:24
Right, but the Greek civilization is primarily famous not because of the myth of Orfei, and the cult of Dionisios. At least those things definetely were not in its roots.

Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 16:41
What do  you mean by this  "primarily" ? These were examples of opposite influence. lgb also showed some other examples.

Edited by Anton - 18-Oct-2007 at 16:41
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 16:42
Not to mention that if we know anything today about Orphic Mysteries and Dionysus/Bacchus is only because of the Greeks who developed them and recorded them.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 17:06
Originally posted by Anton

What do  you mean by this  "primarily" ? These were examples of opposite influence. lgb also showed some other examples.

Ok, I'll explain that.

We know Greek civilization for: Aristotle and Plato, Pifagor and Akrhimedus, Greek alphabet, Herodotus, creation of science, art, theater, olimpic games and blah-blah-blah. In summary, Greek civilization is a foundation of all the Western and perhaps even some other Civilization like Islamic etc.

I don't think the myth of Orpheus is occupies a large room on this list. If you took Orpheus and Dionisios out of the known data about the Hellenic civilization would our perception about it change a lot?

No, not at all. However, if you took out of the list GREEK philosophers like Plato and Aristotle, scientists like Pifagorus, authors like Sophokles it will indeed change the whole picture. Those people and their achievements don't have any thing to do with Thracians.

Orpheus and Dionisius are just a small, insignificant parts of the massive picture of Hellenic civilisation. That's why I said that that civilisarion is not primarily because of them. And the roles they played in the Greek world were too small to claim that ancient Thrace is the root of Ancient Greece.
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 30>