Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBulgarian origins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 30>
Poll Question: Bulgarians =Thracian descendants?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [13.85%]
21 [32.31%]
4 [6.15%]
16 [24.62%]
4 [6.15%]
11 [16.92%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulgarian origins
    Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 12:55
More or less in the whole of Greece. I mean I'm not sure about the whole of Greece but in Samos, where I came from, it is a custom and I know it is the same in Kos, Ionian Islands and Peloponnese. Since so many and diverse places have this custom, I suspect it is the same more or less in the whole of Greece.

It is not followed as much and not as widespread as in Bulgaria, where everyone wears them in March. Last March when I was in Sofia, everyone was giving me "Martenitsas" as present Smile. It was very nice, from the receptionist at the hotel to the colleagues at work. I still have them tied up to the refrigerator (yes, I know. I should have tied them to a fruit-bearing tree) Wink
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
londoner_gb View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 13:19

You put it on on the 1 st of march and once you see a stork or swallow/the migratory birds from africa/ you tie it on a blossoming fruit tree,for good luck and health...

But in you case they were just souvenirs so I believe it s ok to keep them on display:)
In the unlikely case that you never see such birds You take it off not later than 31 march...

Edited by londoner_gb - 14-Oct-2007 at 13:35
ΡΟΛΙΣΤΕΝΕΑΣΝ / ΕΡΕΝΕΑΤΙΛ / ΤΕΑΝΗΣΚΟΑ / ΡΑ
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 14:38
I can vouch for Laconia, they do the red and white threads. Ah I get a kick discovering these balkanisms. no we can start arguing who did it first
Viking*jokes*Wink

Edited by Leonidas - 14-Oct-2007 at 14:39
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 15:09
Originally posted by Leonidas

no we can start arguing who did it first

The question is not who did it first, but whether this story with Asparuh and something is valid. Looks like it is not if this custom is spreaded as far as Greek islands.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 15:16
 Well the Bulgarian pro-Turanik supporters came up with the story that Khan Asparuch won a victory over the Byzantines and sent  a dove back to his wife  with the two threads tied on one of its legs symbolizing -red-that a bloody victory was won and white -that a peace was negotiated with the enemy...
 The Romanian version is different and I will paste it beneath...
Originally posted by Menumorut

Londoner, about Martisor, look what I found:

-archaeological discoveries proves that the first day of the spring was celebrated since 8000 years ago
-from the time of Dacians have been discovered red and white pebbles on a thread, also coins on a wool thread in black and white. The beared coins were different by social status, it was of gold, silver or bronze
-there is a legend (in the region of Moldavia is linked with a stone from Ceahlau mountains, see Mysterious places in Carpathians topic) about an old lady called Dochia (the name came from Evdokia/Eudoxia, of Greek origin) which was bad and in a winter day she asked her step daugther to whiten at river a very dirty coat which the girl started to wash but it was much and much getting darker. Than a man called Martisor appeared to the girl and gived her a red and white flower. Turning home with that flower, Dochia has seen the flower and believed the spring has come, she went with the sheeps out on the mountain, left down her 9 coats and in the top of the mountain started the cold and she frozen and got petrified together with her sheeps.

I don't believe is a proto-Bulgar origin tradition, it is a pre-Christian tradition which could survived at a people Christianized by "osmoses", not at one like proto-Bulgars christianized at an oficial date.

Edited by londoner_gb - 14-Oct-2007 at 15:20
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 15:58

Originally posted by Seko

londoner gb, first off your list of ancient Kings is a quite impressive. Now how on earth did a 9'th century monk or whatever, know about ancient Kings from Troy? How are they Bulgarian? Same question on down that list.

Next, do you exclude Bulgar history form central asia or don't you? If you do (which seems to be the case) then who were those people that were called Bulgar (Bolgar)?

After reading such web pages and your posts it is evident that modern Bulgarians who pay heed to such mythological theories (in the link provided) have a deisred fixture on historical revisionism. Central Asian themes are devalued or in your case ignored by denial. Instead your focus is to highlight the virtues or Thracian and Slavic history and myths.  Also, you could have focused more on Bulgaria's rich Slavic culture. Instead you dig up folklore and unleated Kings into your arguement, while denying those factual Khans that are part of your history.

I must say this interlude has been and eye opener and entertaining for me. I am sure you may try to attack my character too. Whether you do or don't now that I called you on it is up to you. However, you now have a chance repeat your usual intentions or admit something you would rather not.

Seko, It has been speculated long enough on Slavs and Turano-Bulgars...
instead I am  trying to speculate on less known facts...
I will start from the Trojan war times ...

Ioannes Malalae/byzantine historian lived 495-580AD/ writes this about the elite comandoes of Achiles:

"...Thus the above mentioned Achiles left with the Atrides, bringing with him
3000 Mirmidons who are also called Bulgarians..."

- Indeed Bulgarian crack troops atacked their own Trojan brothers Unhappy
Their loyalty to Achiles prevailed....
The Greeks were aware of the proud nature of the Thessalian Achilles..
The clever diplomat Odysseus/Ulysses/was sent with the  mission to trick
the Bulgarian against his blood relatives from beyond the Aegean...Between eternal glory payed with fratricide...and the peace and sparing of lives of Bulgarians on both sides his thirst for glory took the upper hand...

Edited by londoner_gb - 14-Oct-2007 at 20:48
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 23:43
 I close my eyes and I see Him,ahead of his bloodthirsty mirmidon lions...

...3000 against the whole army of the Trojans...while the Greeks are still 2 miles behind in the sea...but even from such a distance You can hear 50 000 greeks shouting extatically "Voo-Voo-Voulgaroi!!!"Clap -A chant that has survived through the millenia and is still used even nowadays by the Athenian public when they receive the football team from Thessaloniki !Tongue -the city that bears its name after the Thessalian victor in the Trojan war-hence Thessalo-niki !!!Approve
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 08:21
Originally posted by londoner_gb

...3000 against the whole army of the Trojans...while the Greeks are still 2 miles behind in the sea...but even from such a distance You can hear 50 000 greeks shouting extatically "Voo-Voo-Voulgaroi!!!"Clap -A chant that has survived through the millenia and is still used even nowadays by the Athenian public when they receive the football team from Thessaloniki !Tongue -the city that bears its name after the Thessalian victor in the Trojan war-hence Thessalo-niki !!!Approve

Please, tell me what you are smoking!

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 08:59

Good one Londoner LOL But let's stop here or we'll have to move this to historical amusement...
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 14:38
but even from such a distance You can hear 50 000 greeks shouting extatically "Voo-Voo-Voulgaroi!!!"Viking

I think that i heard it recently in a football match tooTongue

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 18:30

You live in the Disneyland, my friend.

Is that Hollywood movie you only source about Trojan war?

If you read Illiade, it clearly sais that the first Greek who touched the Trojan soil was not Achilles but Protesialus, who immediately was killed by Gector.

There was no such a fancy landing as shown in your favorite movie.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 15-Oct-2007 at 21:17
Σαυρομάτης
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 22:49
Originally posted by Giannis

Please, tell me what you are smoking!

Or maybe what did Malalae smoke? Do Yiou question the authenticity of the document?

What about IoannisTzetzes in his "Chiliades"?? Confirming the very same thing:

" Thus they all arrived in Avlida on their ships following Achilles son of Peleus and Tetida daughter of the phylosopher Hyron...bringing an army of Bulgarian-Myrmidons numbering 2500..."

Edited by londoner_gb - 15-Oct-2007 at 23:33
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 23:31
Originally posted by Yiannis

Good one Londoner LOL But let's stop here or we'll have to move this to historical amusement...
Yiannis You know very well that these are the original testimonies of two well known byzantine scholars!
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 23:41
Malalas and Tzetzis are not reliable sources.
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 23:56
Some byzantine scholars had very liited knowledge of the ancient past.For example Ioannis Kaminiatis,who wrote about the capture of the city of Thessaloniki by the Arabs, mentioned that the Romans!!! had defeated the Persians when the Persians attacked Greece in antiquity.

Edited by nikodemos - 16-Oct-2007 at 00:06
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 00:01

Perhaps this isn't relevant to this particular discussion, but have we ever considered that the names applied to ethnic groups change over time? After all, as I recall, the term "Scythians" encompassed all of the steppe peoples known to the ancient Greeks. The term "Huns" was also applied rather broadly to a variety of ancient nomadic groups. During the Middle Ages, Mongols, Turks, and practically anyone else in Eurasia who owned a horse was a "Tatar."

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 16-Oct-2007 at 00:04
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 00:15
there are two reasons in my opinion why these two byzantine scholars mention the Myrmidons as ancient bulgarians
1)because of complete ignorance of ancient history
2)they did it deliberately in order to show that the bulgarians,the arch-enemy of the romanobyzantines (considered at that time descendants of the trojans ) were in fact descendants of the arch enemy of the trojans, the Myrmidons

Edited by nikodemos - 16-Oct-2007 at 00:16
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 17:19
Originally posted by nikodemos

Some byzantine scholars had very liited knowledge of the ancient past.For example Ioannis Kaminiatis,who wrote about the capture of the city of Thessaloniki by the Arabs, mentioned that the Romans!!! had defeated the Persians when the Persians attacked Greece in antiquity.

Well lets not forget that By that time/VII-IXc/ what was left of Rome was the lands populated by Greeks/I believe that by the time of the siege they have even lost all Asian lands... Also by the same time Old Persia was part of the Chalifate...so from this perspective he makes a good comparison with Ancient Greece and Persia...
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 17:25
Originally posted by nikodemos

there are two reasons in my opinion why these two byzantine scholars mention the Myrmidons as ancient bulgarians
1)because of complete ignorance of ancient history
2)they did it deliberately in order to show that the bulgarians,the arch-enemy of the romanobyzantines (considered at that time descendants of the trojans ) were in fact descendants of the arch enemy of the trojans, the Myrmidons
What sources have you seen that point that in the middle ages the Bulgarians were considered Trojan descendants? I am digging into the subject and it will be very interesting to see them...
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 18:06
Right. Russians that invaded Byzantinne empire under Sviatoslav were called "Skythians" in the related Byzantinne chronicle. Another example of ignorance of the Buzantinne chronists.
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 30>