Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBulgarian origins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 30>
Poll Question: Bulgarians =Thracian descendants?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [13.85%]
21 [32.31%]
4 [6.15%]
16 [24.62%]
4 [6.15%]
11 [16.92%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulgarian origins
    Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 05:16
londoner gb, first off your list of ancient Kings is a quite impressive. Now how on earth did a 9'th century monk or whatever, know about ancient Kings from Troy? How are they Bulgarian? Same question on down that list.

Next, do you exclude Bulgar history form central asia or don't you? If you do (which seems to be the case) then who were those people that were called Bulgar (Bolgar)?

Maybe you should write to wiki and change the encyclopedia. That darn web page keeps showing things like this:

The Bulgars (also Bolgars or proto-Bulgarians) were a seminomadic Turkic people, originally from Central Asia, who from the AD 2nd century inhabited the steppe north of the Caucasus and the banks of river Itil (now Volga).

Here is a ethnocentric Bulgarian web page highlighting Thracian and Slavic ancestry with a brief note on proto-Bulgarian history.

The ancestral homeland of the Bulgars, often known as the Proto (early/original) Bulgarians, is uncertain but it was probably the Altai Mountains of Central Asia or the Pamir mountain lands north of Pakistan.

The Proto-Bulgarians left their ancestral lands long ago, becoming part of the Great Migration of peoples in the early centuries AD. They were nomadic, kept herds, revered horses, and drank mares milk as an essential part of their diet. They were skilled in metalwork, and lived in clans under the leadership of khans who held absolute power. They were excellent warriors with a well-organised army, fighting alongside Attila the Hun.  In the seventh century AD they established a state called Great Bulgaria in the Russian steppes north of the Caucasus.

Hmm. Let's see here. They were from the Altai mountains. Drank mare's milk. Were under leadership of a khan and even fought under Attila the Hun. They were proto Bulgars while living like Asian nomads. Yet while identifying with Thracians the author of that article calls them Bulgars only.

After the 6th century AD the Thracians were absorbed into the Slavic and Bulgarian peoples (not Proto Bulgarian. notice the bias here) who settled in the area, but the subsequent Bulgarian Kingdom inherited their legacy. 

and the author remembers to use the classification of Proto-Bulgarians once again when talking about asiatics.

In 681 AD he founded the first Bulgarian state in the Balkans in exchange for protecting the local Slav population against Byzantine attack. But the Proto-Bulgarians were a minority ruling group, so eventually their language and culture were absorbed into that of the Slavic majority.

We all know about their Slavic assimilation. Most of us recognize the Turkic Proto-Bulgars and their central asian origins too. Afterall a people called Bulgar (who were Proto - early/original) did move into Thrace and become assimilated.

Somemore bias from the author.

The Ottoman Turks conquered Bulgaria in the 14th century and ruled it for 500 years as part of the Ottoman Empire. This also left its mark on Bulgarian myth and folklore. For example, tales about Nastraddin Hodja, the Turkish imam and wise fool, were assimilated and adapted into the Bulgarian oral tradition, one positive product of this dark and bloody period of Bulgarian history.

After reading such web pages and your posts it is evident that modern Bulgarians who pay heed to such mythological theories (in the link provided) have a deisred fixture on historical revisionism. Central Asian themes are devalued or in your case ignored by denial. Instead your focus is to highlight the virtues or Thracian and Slavic history and myths. Not only that but you will use clever and slick criticism towards those who either disagree with your slant or discuss a history you would rather deny. Your attacks against Sarmat12 is evidence of such behavior. By assuming he is both Turkish and a communist you furhter try to bully your way into persuasion. He clearly denied your wrong assertions and corrected your mistakes. Not only are you blinded by ethnocentricity but you assault those who aren't. Also, you could have focused more on Bulgaria's rich Slavic culture. Instead you dig up folklore and unleated Kings into your arguement, while denying those factual Khans that are part of your history.

I must say this interlude has been and eye opener and entertaining for me. I am sure you may try to attack my character too. Whether you do or don't now that I called you on it is up to you. However, you now have a chance repeat your usual intentions or admit something you would rather not.

Edited by Seko - 13-Oct-2007 at 05:40
londoner_gb View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 12:36
Dionysus, usually called Zagreus in Thrace, was the twice born son of the great goddess. He was the dark god of wine, of intoxication, excess and inspiration. He had a wild band of female followers called Maenads, and ecstatic orgiastic rites were held in his honour. Poetry, music and dance swept along with him. He was the dying and reborn god who was sacrificed in the form of a bull, his body torn into pieces and his blood spilled upon the earth. In this way he united in divine marriage with the great mother goddess, fertilising her so that he could be reborn and the annual cycle of life could be renewed.
 -I see a survival of this name/Zagreus/ throughout the middle ages although with a slavonic update/as Zagora/...We mentioned earlier that it denoted  Thrace/for the Bulgarians/ and Bulgaria in the eyes of the Serbs, also the nowadays city of St.Zagora/exactly Zagra to the later Turks/...obviously used to denote the Followers of Dionys-Zagreus.I will remind you that the area was the last to become Roman province-so this was the best criteria to describe them-while the people around/Thracians and others /had already officially the new Roman gods they were still worshiping Zagreus...In time it has amalgamed with the slavonic meaning of "beyond mountain"...

Edited by londoner_gb - 13-Oct-2007 at 12:57
ΡΟΛΙΣΤΕΝΕΑΣΝ / ΕΡΕΝΕΑΤΙΛ / ΤΕΑΝΗΣΚΟΑ / ΡΑ
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 12:49
Zagora means apple in slavic dialect as i know. At least this was the reason that some villages were named as zagorochoria (zagora-villages), because of the apple trees near them. Slavs used to give names with certain meanings to places, like ancient Greeks.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 12:54
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I'm afraid you still didn't answer my question. I was talking about the so-called "remnants of Troy" discovered by Shliman. Not about Tutunkhamon.

Smile

You expect me to give correct answer to your incorrect question. I think you very well understood what I mean. Available data can always be explained be many alternative hypotheses . Sources usually contradict each other and there are different point ofviews on basically every  event happened in the past. Medieval chronists had some explanations and now we had different. Butthere is absolutely noreason to suggest that we now know better simply because of some weird "scientific progress".

As for your discuission with londoner_gb - I do not agree with him because he does not cite medieval chronicles but modern Bulgarian historians (from 18-19 centuries). However your arguments that Koled is worshiped in all Balkanic nations can also be explained by influences that Bulgarian Christianity had on neighboring nations including Russia. And second, usage of mythology to evaluate nations origin is rather common historical method. So, your loughs are absolutely not suitable.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 12:56
Originally posted by Athanasios

Zagora means apple in slavic dialect as i know. At least this was the reason that some villages were named as zagorochoria (zagora-villages), because of the apple trees near them. Slavs used to give names with certain meanings to places, like ancient Greeks.

I never heard zagora to mean anything like apple in slavonic languages. Apple is "yabulka", "yabloko" etc.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 12:59

I dont think it has anything to do with apples...
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 13:06
Originally posted by Anton

[QUOTE=Sarmat12] However your arguments that Koled is worshiped in all Balkanic nations can also be explained by influences that Bulgarian Christianity had on neighboring nations including Russia. And second, usage of mythology to evaluate nations origin is rather common historical method. So, your loughs are absolutely not suitable.
  I wouldn't  track Koled as  Christian Bulgarian influence but a pagan cimmero-bulgarian on the russian ancestors...Its incorporation into the Christian faith/as "Christmass"/ came later...

Edited by londoner_gb - 13-Oct-2007 at 13:08
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 13:22

I have other reading for zagora: za+gora. "Za" can mean "behind" while "gora" is a south Slavic word for "mountain". AFAIK Bulgarian lost the noun declensions (don't know when it did), and thus the reading could make sense.
If you look on a map, you'll note Stara Zagora (and Nova Zagora, too) is on the southern slopes of Stara Planina, thus the name makes sense for some people coming/looking at the place from north.

Edited by Chilbudios - 13-Oct-2007 at 13:24
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 13:23
Originally posted by Seko

londoner gb, first off your list of ancient Kings is a quite impressive. Now how on earth did a 9'th century monk or whatever, know about ancient Kings from Troy? How are they Bulgarian? Same question on down that list.

Next, do you exclude Bulgar history form central asia or don't you? If you do (which seems to be the case) then who were those people that were called Bulgar (Bolgar)?

Maybe people from those remote eastern areas should go as far west as Ireland and ask them who those Fir Bolg are or the many "Boulger" "Bolger" etc personal surnames...I believe that after a debate both parties will reach compromise and return the name to where it belongsWink
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 13:31
Originally posted by Chilbudios

I have other reading for zagora: za+gora. "Za" can mean "behind" while "gora" is a south Slavic word for "mountain". AFAIK Bulgarian lost the noun declensions (don't know when it did), and thus the reading could make sense.
If you look on a map, you'll note Stara Zagora (and Nova Zagora, too) is on the southern slopes of Stara Planina, thus the name makes sense for some people coming/looking at the place from north.
I have alreday said that ..few times...
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 15:29
 As another proof of the local origin of the Bulgarians we have "The History of the The fourth crusade by Jeoffroy de Villardouin"XIIIc. where Ioanizza and his subjects are referred to as bulgarians and/or Wallachians/germanic and slavic for the thracians and all natives of the Roman lands/.Not to forget the rich correspondence of the Roman pope with the above mentioned BG king approving of the same fact by the highest medieval  institution...

"...Now Johannizza, the King of Wallachia and Bulgaria, though rich and of great possessions, never forgat his own interests, but raised a great force of Comans and Wallachians. And when it came to three weeks after Christmas, he sent these men into the land of Roumania to help those at Adrianople and Demotica; and the latter, being now in force, grew bolder and rode abroad with the greater assurance. ..."

Edited by londoner_gb - 13-Oct-2007 at 15:59
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 18:15
That is more like it, even though you are covering a different time period than the ancient era from your previous posts.

During the 4'th Crusade of 1201.. there existed the contemporary state of the Second Bulgarian empire.The Vlachs (Wallachians), who moved in during and oustered the Byzantine reign, were the predominant contingent of people. The Bulgars provided most of the administrative functions while the Cumans (Kipchaks) provided largely effective military elements.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 18:39

You expect me to give correct answer to your incorrect question. I think you very well understood what I mean. Available data can always be explained be many alternative hypotheses . Sources usually contradict each other and there are different point ofviews on basically every  event happened in the past. Medieval chronists had some explanations and now we had different. Butthere is absolutely noreason to suggest that we now know better simply because of some weird "scientific progress".

Ok. You don't answer my question again. There is a tomb, where it is written in Ancient Egyptian language: "the tomp of the pharaoh Tutunkhamon." So this is not the fact for you?

You didn't express yourself clear. You think this is not a fact, but just a fashionable believe? Why? Did the scientists read the Egyptian inscription incorrectly? Why? Was it just a fake tomb of some villain who pretended to be a dead pharaoh?

Sorry, but you didn't give me the answer. The existence of Tutunkhamon is a fact. The details of his life are indeed disputed, but I didn't go that far in my question.

Now. You are absolutely right that the medieval sources contradict each other. Very often the authors even didn't know that somebody else is writing on the same subject at the same time but smth. absolutely different.

So, the benefits we have now is that we can compare several sources, we also can add to that archeological and other evidence that was discovered on the epoch in question. We can compare, we can draw conclusions, we can build hypothesis. Sometimes we will be able to find the right explanation, sometimes not. But in any case we would have much more room for making a more reliable conclusion or at least would have more sources for making more reliable hypos.

If you are familiar with historical science, good historians always distinguish the facts and the hypos. So the benefits of the modern times is that we, generally speaking, have more factual material than the medieval chronists.

I can give you a number of examples when modern critical methods are much more reliable than just sticking to a certain medieval chronicle.

As for your discuission with londoner_gb - I do not agree with him because he does not cite medieval chronicles but modern Bulgarian historians (from 18-19 centuries). However your arguments that Koled is worshiped in all Balkanic nations can also be explained by influences that Bulgarian Christianity had on neighboring nations including Russia. And second, usage of mythology to evaluate nations origin is rather common historical method. So, your loughs are absolutely not suitable.

I said that Koled is not worshipped only in Balkans, but also in Poland and other Slavic countries which didn't have that much interaction with Bulgaria.

Worship of Koled apparently is a pre Christian Slavic pagan believe. I don't understand how that particular cult could spread as far as to Poland via "Bulgarian Christianity"? It doesn't make sense at all. On the contrary, it is much more likely that the original ancient Slavic cult of Koled underwent some transformations in Bulgaria under the influence of Eastern Christianity etc.

And you, perhaps, also know very well that Perun is another Slavic god. Worshiped even by Baltic nations or should we also ascribe him to the influences of Bulgarian christianity?

Apparently, that Bulgarian chronicle is just another COMMON example of creation of fictional geneologies.

I repeat again that I don't have anything against the Thracian ancestry of Bulgarians, but the references to that chronicle are IMO absolutely unnecessary to prove that.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 13-Oct-2007 at 19:38
Σαυρομάτης
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 18:59

If Bulgarians are not Slavs but Thracians then we also are not Slavs but Sarmats. I can't believe so many people voted for Bulgarians being Thracians. Nice theory but what it has to do with reality?

Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 19:09
Originally posted by Seko

That is more like it, even though you are covering a different time period than the ancient era from your previous posts.

During the 4'th Crusade of 1201.. there existed the contemporary state of the Second Bulgarian empire.The Vlachs (Wallachians), who moved in during and oustered the Byzantine reign, were the predominant contingent of people. The Bulgars provided most of the administrative functions while the Cumans (Kipchaks) provided largely effective military elements.

It is impossible to draw the above conclusion from the Villehardouin text,bulgarians and Wallachians appear synonyms throughout especially while denoting the people it is either one or the other used...While talking about regions-Wallachia rather means the lands around Haimos/Balkan range/ and Bulgaria-the former Byzantine Theme ...
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 19:12
Bulgarian is a south-Slavic language and that makes them "Slavs". Biologically they are not "Slavs" but a mixture of people where the autochtonous element probably is a large part of. It is a rather fashionable (and IMO probably true) theory that many of the documented historical migrations were not really replacing the existing populations, but on the contrary they consisted of non-numerous populations. So, depending on what one considers - language (or other cultural aspects) or biology he might get two different answers.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 19:51

Bulgarian is a south-Slavic language and that makes them "Slavs". Biologically they are not "Slavs" but a mixture of people where the autochtonous element probably is a large part of. It is a rather fashionable (and IMO probably true) theory that many of the documented historical migrations were not really replacing the existing populations, but on the contrary they consisted of non-numerous populations. So, depending on what one considers - language (or other cultural aspects) or biology he might get two different answers.
Irish use english although that doesnt make them anglo-saxons.not to mention the most recent descoveries that even britain Star may not have been subjected to a massive germanic resettlement itself!Recent analises suggest  rather cultural and merchant causes for adoption of the speech that evolved into nowadays english...while the population happens to be mostly of north-west iberian descent/present day's genetic studies/...-by the way also confirmed in the irish mithological extracts I readWink...
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 20:03
Originally posted by Majkes

If Bulgarians are not Slavs but Thracians then we also are not Slavs but Sarmats. I can't believe so many people voted for Bulgarians being Thracians. Nice theory but what it has to do with reality?

Poland was never subjected to different peoples resettlements .through time it remained the craddle of slavdom-while the Balkans is a different story-Symilarly to what happened in France for example-invaded by germanic Francs and Wizigoths who even created lasting states in the early middle ages it is still considered  largely Gaelic ethnographically....
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 20:05
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I repeat again that I don't have anything against the Thracian ancestry of Bulgarians, but the references to that chronicle are IMO absolutely unnecessary to prove that.

I suppose you speak about Bulgars (the nomadictribe) not Bulgarians. I didn't participate in this discussion. Do not involve it here. We discussed "scientific progress", remember?
As for Koleda ans staff you now repeat one of the facts that has no proof -- that is was pre-christian. I bet you will find Koled in no source and will not be able to prove that it was pre-christian. Bulgaria didn't influence Poland directly but it influenced Kiev and Moscow Russia.

Edited by Anton - 13-Oct-2007 at 20:13
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 20:11

So, depending on what one considers - language (or other cultural aspects) or biology he might get two different answers.

Culture (music, cuisine, mythology, customs etc.) of south Slavs (not only Bulgarians, but Serbs and Croats too) is different from the rest Slavs and is much more close to Greek, Romanian and Albanian.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 30>