Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christianizing the Indians.. Good or Bad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Was the christianization of Indians good or evil
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
3 [13.04%]
4 [17.39%]
7 [30.43%]
7 [30.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christianizing the Indians.. Good or Bad?
    Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 21:31
Originally posted by pekau

Mostly, this was a failure because they often forced them and caused them to resist not only Catholic ideology, but also to the Western civilization. Plus, this missionaries often spreaded European diseases that natives are not immune of. These unsuccessful missionaries often helped the Western aggression to be more familiar with geography of the North and South America...

That was mostly in the South where Spanish influence was more prominent. In the North, and North-West Protestant missionaries were mostly active.
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 21:52
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

This argument is never going to end...so I will not debate it any further!

Fellow, go to the point. Tell us precisely what happens in the schools for Indians at the beginning of the 20th century up to the 60s. I bet the other fellow don't have idea. I do, and I understand what you are saying.

The point is, not always christianization was that way. Fortunately, the times of Inquisition are gone, let's hope foundamentalism don't start again

When children were taken away form their families(and were beaten if they didn't leave) When they were in the school ground for the first time. They were beating for speaking their own tounge . They were  forced to take off anything they bore that was "Indian". Within a month, if they still live like and Indian they were beating. I many cases the females were sent into a room and were sexually abused. Every other child can hear the screams and moans of the two inside the room. Some tried to flee back to their families but most were unsuccessful. If they were caught, they would not feed them for a couple days. They were force to worship Jesus as almighty and a saviour, if they refused to go, they were again beaten.  After all this..if they make faith of god, they were deemed civilized and  that is that. Most didn't want to go back to their families, and most married non-Indians.  Some cases were rare and very few children died.

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 31-Oct-2007 at 22:01
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 21:53

The answer has to be ambiguos: yes and no.

The Quechuas and Aymaraes, for instance, still today pray to the Pachamana (Mother Land) and offer her coca leaves... while at the same time attends to Church to hear the priest to pray. Being Catholic and following the ancient rituals was done at the same time. Sometimes encouraged by the priest themselves. Remember that even Spanish, besides being catholics, they also carried European superstitions with them, that were also tolerated to certain degree. What mattered was that you were Catholic... more or less.

Then you see the devils' parade in where everyone dresses as devils, ..... honouring the God or the Virgin!!!

The only way you understand that is going inside a Catholic Church in the Mayan region and realize you have not a clue where Catholicism stop and Paganism begins.

Now, the natives that preserved theirs freedom, kept theirs religions intact. However, in recent times they also become christianized but they still practise theirs rituals. In Chile, at least, native rituals are sometimes made in ecumenic ceremonies even in the main cathedral of Santiago.

On the other hand, influences go both ways. In Medicine is more clear. Herbal medicines of natives are common practises everywhere in the Americas. In Chile, for instance, there are chains of drug stores where you can buy all the naturistic medicines natives produce, sold in industrial envelopes and presentation.

These days, indigenous ceremonies are presented like part of our ethnic heritage to foreigners and to ourselves. Native religions are naturalistic and shamanistic, quite suitable for "new age" mentalities, so in recent years many non-native people has been influenced by theirs conceptions as well. Which is happening when Catholicism is sunking in this part of the world.

I have heard, and seen some examples of that. I agree, I think a lot of old believes preserved by being indoctorinated as some orthdox sort of practice or belief. Also, I know of an example in Egypt where in one city the old custom of carrying the statue of a certain God was preserved almost in its entirety through the same ritual for an early Islamic martyr that died there. I think the Christians there have a similar practice.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 00:35

No more than what happens anywhere. I lived in Canada in an environment where everybody was nordic and most people have light eyes (germanics, ukranians, etc.). Well, the common people in the street didn't look as attractive at all like people shown on TV. Women were fat, rough facial features, all kind of imperfections.

On TV, though, people was perfect.

That's the same everywhere.

Of course it is, but the difference is that in Canada (or Europe for that matter) 90% of the population is white, while in Mexico whites are a minority. So when in Canada or Europe 90% of the 'pretty people' on television and so are white that's normal, but showing the same amount of whites on Mexican television enforces the stereotype that only white people can be pretty/succesful/whatever.

In fact, another student of my university who also went to Mexico told that a Mexican once told her that 'in Europe everyone is attractive', with which he meant that in Europe everyone is white.

I'm not claiming that racism is absent in Europe, but it is without a doubt much stronger in Latin America. And it's not only Mexico. Guatemala for example, even though 45% of the population is pure Mayan, the country hasn't had one Mayan president yet.

Edited by Mixcoatl - 01-Nov-2007 at 00:37
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 01:08
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

...Of course it is, but the difference is that in Canada (or Europe for that matter) 90% of the population is white, while in Mexico whites are a minority.

It doesn't seem it will be for long LOLLOL

So when in Canada or Europe 90% of the 'pretty people' on television and so are white that's normal, but showing the same amount of whites on Mexican television enforces the stereotype that only white people can be pretty/succesful/whatever.

Actually, in Canada TV was plenty of Blacks and Asians, while the population wasn't. No Indian on TV, though. Except in an ethnic role.

By the way, do you mean these people are palefaces (From Ramona)?

And these?

And these?

And these?

Curious... You have changed my concept of "white". For me white is this:

And the above Mexican actors are all Mestizos.

Well, perhaps your concept of Mestizo is this, but there are more variety:

In fact, another student of my university who also went to Mexico told that a Mexican once told her that 'in Europe everyone is attractive', with which he meant that in Europe everyone is white.

Perhaps he meant blond.

I'm not claiming that racism is absent in Europe, but it is without a doubt much stronger in Latin America. And it's not only Mexico. Guatemala for example, even though 45% of the population is pure Mayan, the country hasn't had one Mayan president yet.

Give us the example. Now that France is almost African, let's wait for them to elect an African president.

In any case, in Latin America is very clear that people of all races has been elected presidents. If not pure Indigenous I could bet money that several presidents of Guatemala have been highly indigenous.

Or do you think that all "whites" of Guatemala look like Chrocodile Dunde?

Edited by pinguin - 01-Nov-2007 at 01:08
garciaparra22 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote garciaparra22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 02:12

Of course it is, but the difference is that in Canada (or Europe for that matter) 90% of the population is white, while in Mexico whites are a minority. So when in Canada or Europe 90% of the 'pretty people' on television and so are white that's normal, but showing the same amount of whites on Mexican television enforces the stereotype that only white people can be pretty/succesful/whatever.

Mexico's greatest actors were Mestizos. Mexico's golden Cinema(CINE DE ORO) were dominated by mestizos. The recent Mexican actors look more and are light mestizos.

Here are Mexican great actors of  golden Cinema (1930-1950),they looked more like the "Average Mexican".

Pedro Infante Mexico's greatest Entertainer and actor

Rodolfo Acosta

Ernesto Alonso Mexico's greatest Telenovela producer and also acted

Raul De Anda

Guillermo "Indio" Calles

Roberto Canedo

Mimi Derba

Columba Dominguez

Irma Dorantes

Maria Felix ,Mexico's greatest actress,her dad was a mestizo with Yaqui ancestry,her mother was a Spanish immigrant

Emilio "El Indio" Fernandez"   considered Mexico's greatest producer of Mexcan cinema,also acted

Arturo Garces

Cathy Jurado

Carlos Lpez Moctezuma

Ignacio Lopez Tarso

Gloria Marin

Maria Elena Marquez

Mexico's greatest Comedian
Mario  Moreno"CantInflas"

Evita Muoz "Chachita"

Ana Ofelia Murgua

Jorge Negrete big time actor-singer

Eduardo Noriega

Jesus Ochoa

Andrea Palma

Leticia Palma

Joaqun Pardav

Silvia Pinal  big time actres

Lilia Prado

Maria Rojo

Jose Carlos Ruiz

Andres Soler

Fernando Soler

Julian Soler

Fernando Soto "Mantequilla"

Maria Victoria

Lucha Villa

Maria Elena Velasco

THE LINK

missing,but great actors were

Antonio Aguilar

Pascual Antonio Aguilar Barraza (May 17, 1919 June 19, 2007), also known as Tony Aguilar, was a Mexican singer, actor, producer, and writer. During his career, he made over 150 albums, which sold 25 million copies, and made 167 movies.[1]

Knight
Knight

Quote garciaparra22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 02:21
Regoberta Menchu  is not Mestiza

Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 02:51
Good for who? I know it my outlook on the situation. For the Native Americans, it may be "bad", but some natives liked the new religion. The European Catholics had "good" reasons for Christianizing them too.
What is the officer problem?
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 03:39
My people didn't accept it early on. In fact still few Ojibwe accept the Christan faith. But many other nations did accept it, and that is their downfall.

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 02-Nov-2007 at 16:41
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 04:15

Exactly my point, thanks for pointing that out The Canadian Guy.

What is the officer problem?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 11:43
Originally posted by garciaparra22

LOL.
Fellow. Most Amerindian peoples of today in Latin America are Mestizos. In the Mapuche population the European blood is circa 40%. However, I know Rigoberta is pure or almost pure Mayan

It was just a joke to confusse Europeans. In any case, I admire Rigoberta, but I bet she won't be selected to work in a soup opera. Other Mexican artists, though, with lot of Amerindian blood have been actresses in Mexican novelas. So I wonder when those accusations of TV-racism will stop.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 11:45
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

My people did accept it early on. In fact still few Ojibwe accept the Christan faith. 

Hey Canadian Guy, but your people still preserves the traditional ceremonies side by side with the western religion, don't they?
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 11:52
They do in a way. We prefer to use tradition without Christianity.

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 02-Nov-2007 at 16:42
Knight
Knight

Quote garciaparra22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 14:56

Originally posted by garciaparra22

LOL.
Fellow. Most Amerindian peoples of today in Latin America are Mestizos. In the Mapuche population the European blood is circa 40%. However, I know Rigoberta is pure or almost pure Mayan

It was just a joke to confusse Europeans. In any case, I admire Rigoberta, but I bet she won't be selected to work in a soup opera. Other Mexican artists, though, with lot of Amerindian blood have been actresses in Mexican novelas. So I wonder when those accusations of TV-racism will stop.

It's always foreigners who only see  White and the Amerindian divide in Mexico and  never think of the Mestizo majority pop of Mexico.

And yes plenty of Mestizos with alot of Amerindian have been major TV stars in Mexico.

And Rigoberta Menchu might have Spanish ancestry.If she does it's  LIKE 3%-5%.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 16:41
Cosign.

Foreigners don't grasp that in Latin America there are not racial barriers.

There is a funny event that happened to some French tourists came to Chile to see Indians and didn't find any. They were invited to a typical Mapuche family and they complained they were actors. The foreigners couldn't grasp that Mapuches dresses in jeans and scotish pattern shirts and saw pokemon on TV. They didn't realize either that our people has a lot of indigenous blood as well. For them we were all Europeans and pretenders.

What did they expected? That Natives weared feathers and keep in a continious solstice ceremony?  Come on, some Bolivians talks Quechua when they talk by cell phones LOL

Who understand Europeans? Confused

Edited by pinguin - 01-Nov-2007 at 16:43
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 18:59
What I have noticed at least is that the classical American racial categorization isn't that prevalent in Latin America. A lot of Latin Americans have mixed ancestries so there are various "groupings" if you will, however, they aren't really enforced or used. A European Mexican is much the same a mixed, or Amerindian Mexican at least from what I have seen from Latin Americans that I know. Is that notion largely correct?
Knight
Knight

Quote garciaparra22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 21:17
Originally posted by es_bih

What I have noticed at least is that the classical American racial categorization isn't that prevalent in Latin America. A lot of Latin Americans have mixed ancestries so there are various "groupings" if you will, however, they aren't really enforced or used. A European Mexican is much the same a mixed, or Amerindian Mexican at least from what I have seen from Latin Americans that I know. Is that notion largely correct?

A European Mexican practices the mestizo culture. They consider themselves first and only Mexican. Only the Foreigners from the USA gringos and Europeans notice the racial difference  and try to portray Mexico as another South Africa racial aparthied.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 21:44
Originally posted by es_bih

How could we be racists if we have the same "racial" differences inside our families..

You could not believe me or not, but I NEVER noticed in my country there were "two" races: Amerindians and Whites LOL How it could be when my best friends during childhood were blond, and they were poorer than myself Confused. I never notice either many of my people has "indian" faces...

Up to the time I went to live to Canada, and there I was kindly informed...

So, where is racism then?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 06:21
You misunderstood my post. I am merely saying that I agree with you through my very own observations of people I know here, and wanted confirmation if what I think is largerly correct in Latin America. You've indirectly answered my question through your post.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 12:01
How could we be racists if we have the same "racial" differences inside our families.

By denying those differences.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>