Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christianizing the Indians.. Good or Bad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Was the christianization of Indians good or evil
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
3 [13.04%]
4 [17.39%]
7 [30.43%]
7 [30.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
SuN. View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SuN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christianizing the Indians.. Good or Bad?
    Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 08:37
Originally posted by pinguin

China was only "conquered" in the 19th century. If Europeans had tried in the 15th, they would have been crushed. They attempted it in Japan but it didn't work...

In 1600, the British were non existent in India. They started gaining upper hand from 1800 onward. Here is a map of the British territories in 1893. Most of the states are still not ruled by British.

http://www.history.upenn.edu/coursepages/hist086/material/schmidt31a.jpg
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 14:51
Whoever says it is good...i totally disagree with you!!!!!! My ancestors fought the white man since they stepped foot on our soil...and forever we will fight them. Religion is stupid and useless, I hate religion! You all should realize that the priest were brutal to the proud peoples of this land called the Americas. If we would not join their faith...soon after genocide took place. Sorry bud I don't like this poll...it make me feel enraged that some members agree that it was good. It was not good at all. If you were pagan you were converted or killed.    

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 27-Oct-2007 at 14:52
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 14:58
BTW civilized!?! every culture was civilized in their own way. Some cultures were so dam pompous they though they were the heart of this world and don't understand other cultures less advanced then them. Thus "civilized peoples" took out those who they poison their mind to believe that other less advanced cultures were barbarians.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 15:27
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Whoever says it is good...i totally disagree with you!!!!!! My ancestors fought the white man since they stepped foot on our soil...and forever we will fight them. Religion is stupid and useless, I hate religion! You all should realize that the priest were brutal to the proud peoples of this land called the Americas. If we would not join their faith...soon after genocide took place. Sorry bud I don't like this poll...it make me feel enraged that some members agree that it was good. It was not good at all. If you were pagan you were converted or killed.    

The priest were brutal?

I have made my homework with respect to the evangeliation in Latin America and I believe you are not being fair. Today is in fashion to use history to deffend political ideas, and to make people look like the goods and the bad in a cartoon movie. People wasn't and it isn't that way.

There where good priests that stand in the side of Indians. Father Las Casas is only the main example, but there were many more.

Genocide was not made by the priest but by the settlers that wanted to exploit Indians or robb theirs lands. That's a basic principle in the history of the Americas. At least south of the border, priest were always fighting at the side of the Indians, and the very same priest teached Amerindians to read and write, and helped them to preserve theirs history and to write theirs own version of the events.

Now, if religion is useful or not, it is not a matter I am going to decide. It is enough to said that Amerindians had religions and Europeans, too. And that, at least some of the border, both managed to integrate in the believes of the common people.

Read about the Virgin of Guadaloupe, and you will discover the lady is Indian!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 15:38

BTW civilized!?! every culture was civilized in their own way. Some cultures were so dam pompous they though they were the heart of this world and don't understand other cultures less advanced then them. Thus "civilized peoples" took out those who they poison their mind to believe that other less advanced cultures were barbarians.

What wrong with being "barbarian"?

Civilization is a technical term that only describe a complex society based in networks of cities. In the Americas, Aztecs Mayas and Incas where civilized. The rest of the natives have a nomadic or rural lifestyle, like most people on the earth at theirs times. That doesn't mean they were inhuman at all.

Now, the cultures of the America vary very much. So much that in pre-contact times the Aztecs, for instance, considered the nomadic Indians of northern Mexico to be "savages". Believe it or not, there are records about it. Some cultures, like the people living in the Land of Fire, were extremely primitive, with people living in very harsh conditions. Others, like the Mapuches, were farmers and enjoyed a more stable system of living.

Civilization doesn't mean better moral qualities either. Just remember Roman fascination with theirs criminal shows in the circus, and you will realize Roman could have been "civilized" but were still brutal savages. The same is true for Europeans that kept burning alive infidels and witches up to recent times.

Amerindians are not an exception to brutality. They practised human sacrifices as routine. That had to change.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 12:14

She's not, the picture is a copy from a Spanish original. The whole Tonantzin/indigenous connection was invented to ease the conversion. And I have to say that worked pretty well, I'd probably be lynched if I said what I just said in Mexico.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 12:45
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

She's not, the picture is a copy from a Spanish original. The whole Tonantzin/indigenous connection was invented to ease the conversion. And I have to say that worked pretty well, I'd probably be lynched if I said what I just said in Mexico.

She is Indian. It is known that the original Virgin of Guadaloupe came from Spain with Cortes. However, the legend of the aparition of the Virgin to Juan Diego, precisely in the place where there was a temple to Tonantzin change matters.

The Virgen Mexicans venerate is not the Spanish Guadalupe but Guadalupe-Tonantzin! No wonder Juan Diego was declared saint..

Guadalupe-Tonantzin is indian, of at least mestiza. She is a brown Virgin and that's why Mexicans verated her as theirs protector lady.
garciaparra22 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote garciaparra22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 15:59

She is Indian. It is known that the original Virgin of Guadaloupe came from Spain with Cortes. However, the legend of the aparition of the Virgin to Juan Diego, precisely in the place where there was a temple to Tonantzin change matters.

The Virgen Mexicans venerate is not the Spanish Guadalupe but Guadalupe-Tonantzin! No wonder Juan Diego was declared saint..

Guadalupe-Tonantzin is indian, of at least mestiza. She is a brown Virgin and that's why Mexicans verated her as theirs protector lady.

The Virgin of Guadalupe is considered a Mestiza.

Knight
Knight

Quote garciaparra22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 16:01

The whole Tonantzin/indigenous connection was invented to ease the conversion. And I have to say that worked pretty well, I'd probably be lynched if I said what I just said in Mexico.

they would call you a "Judas" .
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 19:47
Originally posted by garciaparra22

The whole Tonantzin/indigenous connection was invented to ease the conversion. And I have to say that worked pretty well, I'd probably be lynched if I said what I just said in Mexico.

An opinion like that could have a punishment worst than just lynching by hunging....

What do you preffer, to have your heart cut by an obsidiane blade so you can feed Mother Earth and keep the Sun moving?.... Or do you preffer to be burn alive so you pay your sins of an infidel, before going to hell? Both experiences were enjoyed once in Mexico Confused

Edited by pinguin - 29-Oct-2007 at 19:48
Knight
Knight

Quote garciaparra22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 21:21

An opinion like that could have a punishment worst than just lynching by hunging....

What do you preffer, to have your heart cut by an obsidiane blade so you can feed Mother Earth and keep the Sun moving?.... Or do you preffer to be burn alive so you pay your sins of an infidel, before going to hell? Both experiences were enjoyed once in Mexico Confused

I agree.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 22:07

I think you paint with too-broad a brush. Not only do your accusations wrongly include the many Catholic priests who actually defended the natives, they are also completely false in the case of the Orthodox missions in Alaska. The Orthodox priests were always interceding on behalf of the natives against the fur-traders. I would advise studying the history of the period; I would advise against reading poorly researched radical pamphlets from the sixties.

-Akolouthos
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 00:39
Originally posted by SuN

In 1600, the British were non existent in India. They started gaining upper hand from 1800 onward. Here is a map of the British territories in 1893. Most of the states are still not ruled by British.

http://www.history.upenn.edu/coursepages/hist086/material/schmidt31a.jpg

Not an accurate statement. The states that you say are not ruled by the British, are ruled by the British. They are vassal states firmly under English control. The English were firmly established in southern & eastern India by 1800, however the Afghans and Maharathas were still serious contenders for the inheritance of the subcontinent. A map of india in 1805 has about 1/3 of it English, 1/3 Maharatha, and about 1/4 Afghan. Although by this time the English were already supporting the Sikhs against the Afghans.

The english succeeded by not fighting a major indian power head on until it had already been substantially weakend, and they arrived at exactly the right time to do it. In the 17th century, the Mughal Empire was able to chase the Portugese from the Indian Ocean. Even if Portugal emptied of troops, there was no way that they could defeat the Mughals on land.
SuN. View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote SuN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 05:56
My statement that in 1600, the British were non existent is correct.

What you say about this map is true only to some extent because all parts of India had never been ruled by one power earlier. All small states aligned themselves with the major power of the time. Their is a difference between ruling & recognising someone.

SuN. View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote SuN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 05:58

You are right. I will support you.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 06:09
Originally posted by SuN.

You are right. I will support you.

Ok, SuN, if you agree with all of that unsupported, unhistorical, vitriolic diatribe, you at least need to explain why. Sorry, but "You are right," isn't quite enough. LOL

Of course I suppose you could just make a bunch of ludicrous, unsupported statements like your compatriot there; it is certainly common enough, especially on the internet, to almost escape notice. Wink

-Akolouthos
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 06:28
Originally posted by SuN

My statement that in 1600, the British were non existent is correct.

Yes it is. But the British weren't anywhere in 1600. Their colonial activities didn't really start until around 1750.

What you say about this map is true only to some extent because all parts of India had never been ruled by one power earlier. All small states aligned themselves with the major power of the time. Their is a difference between ruling & recognising someone.

No those states were firmly under English rule. There were British military garrisions scattered all over their territory. The British had control over taxation, foriegn policy, and defense. Those states had no military bar ceremonial guards, and were completely dependent upon the Raj.
They were vassal states firmly in the control of the British Empire.
Gabachachida View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Gabachachida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 23:10
If thats the case, then why is the supposed cape of Juan DIego in the church in DF showing the image that appeared of the Virgen from the flowers he put, show an image of a white looking woman....done in the same painting style of european artists of the time?? Do u suppose that the indigenous virgen was light skinned? Just seems a little fishy to me.
Gabachachida View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Gabachachida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 23:13

The Virgin of Guadalupe is considered a Mestiza.

im responding to this above...sorry im new to this forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 23:27
Originally posted by Gabachachida

If thats the case, then why is the supposed cape of Juan DIego in the church in DF showing the image that appeared of the Virgen from the flowers he put, show an image of a white looking woman....done in the same painting style of european artists of the time?? Do u suppose that the indigenous virgen was light skinned? Just seems a little fishy to me.

Exactly, the virgin is not dark skinned at all; especially if you consider the fact that she probably is darker now than when she was originally, consdering that due to its age the cloth has become darker.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>