Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tesla

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tesla
    Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 19:52
Originally posted by es_bih

I know all of that, I am from Bosnia, and even there there are different dialects, Krajina is different from Northern, or Eastern Bosnia, or from Hercegovina. Same for Serbia. Just saying they are all Yugoslav languages coming from a single stem, but have varied local dialects, and a obvious blanket dialect. They are mutually intelligible.

yes of course...thats perheps the reson of why Yugoslavia was formed
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 19:45
Originally posted by think

Nicola Tesla was an ethnic Serb who lived in Croatia. What are the roots for his last name, it doesnt sound typically Serbian. I always asumed he was Russian.

The origin of Tesla's last name is known and there is no debate upon it. Tesla explains it himself in his autobiography. His (paternal, from mother's it's Mandic) family's last name was Draganic, they're migrants that fled from the Ottoman Turks from the Old Vlach region in modern-day Montenegro, just below the river of Tara. Nikola's recent ancestor asserted his family name Tesla from the tool very akin to the Axe, a thing not unusual for many Serb refugees in those times. Tesla in Serbo-Croat means Adze, a rough tool for woodcutting as Nikola Tesla comes from a woodcutter's family (by not far descent). As such, "Tesla" became a sort-of regional surname, which was typical for clanmen back then - in Lika itself, in the Habsburg Military Frontier to which the Draganics moved.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 20:02
Originally posted by Menumorut

Originally posted by Illirac

Every one...the question was from where is the NAME Tesla...not from where Tesla comes from

So, after you it was a linguistic problem.

I don't know the Serbian language, Tesla too sound non-Serbian for me.

How is declined this word in Serbian?

Tesla

Tesle

Tesli

Tesle

Tesla

Teslom

Tesli

It comes from the word "Adze", which in Serbo-Croat means "Adze".
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 20:05

Croatian-Serbian-Bosnian-Montenegrin have a same derivative language, with regional, and sub-regional differences. The proper is Yugoslavian as a term for all, but I would call all four rather dialects of that, but not derivative of each other.

You have made a terrible mistake. Angry

It's actually Bosnian-Bunyev-Croatian-Montenegrin-Serbian-Yugoslavian-Zlatibor
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 20:20
Originally posted by Yugoslav

Tesla
Tesle
Tesli
Tesle
Tesla
Teslom
Tesli

It comes from the word "Adze", which in Serbo-Croat means "Adze".

Thanks. In Romanian tesla means the same thing.

But searching in a dictionary I have found this:

English language        Serbian language
adze                           bradva

So, it seems is not the main word used for that tool, as is in Romanian.

Edited by Menumorut - 15-Nov-2007 at 20:23

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 06:23

Croatian-Serbian-Bosnian-Montenegrin have a same derivative language, with regional, and sub-regional differences. The proper is Yugoslavian as a term for all, but I would call all four rather dialects of that, but not derivative of each other.
You have made a terrible mistake. AngryIt's actually Bosnian-Bunyev-Croatian-Montenegrin-Serbian-Yugoslavian-Zlatibor

What's Bunyev, and Zlatibor

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 11:38

You have made a terrible mistake. AngryIt's actually Bosnian-Bunyev-Croatian-Montenegrin-Serbian-Yugoslavian-Zlatibor

Bunyev is the language of the Bynyevatz tiny Catholic people that populates Vojvodina, originally from Bosnia.

Zlatibor is the term used for the language spoken around the mountain of Zlatibor in western and southwestern Serbia (in Sandzak). Because no one really is a determined speaker though, it's more often referred as "Uzice Speech" (Uzice the largest city).
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 16:14

Bunyev is the language of the Bynyevatz tiny Catholic people that populates Vojvodina, originally from Bosnia.

Zlatibor is the term used for the language spoken around the mountain of Zlatibor in western and southwestern Serbia (in Sandzak). Because no one really is a determined speaker though, it's more often referred as "Uzice Speech" (Uzice the largest city).

This is all too confusing for me... from now on my native language is Shatrovacki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 19:05
Never knew about those two dialects

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 12:19
Oh, there is one more - I forgot: "Ours language" (natively: Nasinski jezik). It's spoken by The Hillmen (nativel: Goranci) people in Serbia (from The Hills, "Gora", at the south of Kosovo), a Moslem people of Serbian origins, although the greater part of them call it Serbian language.

There, I think I've covered all (except that no one calls it "Yugoslavian" anymore, so slash that). :)
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 12:20
Originally posted by Larus

This is all too confusing for me... from now on my native language is Shatrovacki.

Unlike most standard Serbian in Serbia, the Zlatiborian uses Iyekavian speech.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 03:58

Oh, there is one more - I forgot: "Ours language" (natively: Nasinski jezik). It's spoken by The Hillmen (nativel: Goranci) people in Serbia (from The Hills, "Gora", at the south of Kosovo), a Moslem people of Serbian origins, although the greater part of them call it Serbian language.

There, I think I've covered all (except that no one calls it "Yugoslavian" anymore, so slash that). :)

I do

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 10:19

I do

...you do what?
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 10:21

I do

Well yeah, so do I, but that's just minority and colloquially - you do recognize Bosnian, don't you? These people mostly call their language that way (Croatian, Serbian, Zlatibor, Montenegrin, Bunyev, Zlatibor, Ours). Same manner we could say a lot call it "Serbo-Croatian", and often me too, but it's in the same position.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 05:27

In Transylvania and Banat, everyone has first, last and nick name.  If I were Nicolae Draghici Teslaru coming from Croatia to the US, I would have to choose an Americanized name like Nicola Tesla and still be 100% Romanian.  Draghici would be tough to pronounce in New York.  “Tesla” sounds vocal and it is close enough to Teslaru – the Romanian meaning for “carpenter”.  Nickname “Teslaru” means “carpenter” which was the profession of Nicolae’s grandfather.  Although hard to accept by some, The Romanian Language was spread to a much larger territory that the country "Romania" we know today.  Language survived in high-altitude places all the way to Italy and back to its historic sites of Macedonia.  Despite occupational oppressions, The Romanian Language along with its carriers has not changed in 4,000 years.  Nicola Tesla was just one of us: a Romanian who survived and opened doors to the future of Earthlings.   Croatia, Serbia, Yugoslavia, US, Romania, Hungary, all can we adopt Nicola as our genius brother. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 05:27

In Transylvania and Banat, everyone has first, last and nick name.  If I were Nicolae Draghici Teslaru coming from Croatia to the US, I would have to choose an Americanized name like Nicola Tesla and still be 100% Romanian.  Draghici would be tough to pronounce in New York.  “Tesla” sounds vocal and it is close enough to Teslaru – the Romanian meaning for “carpenter”.  Nickname “Teslaru” means “carpenter” which was the profession of Nicolae’s grandfather.  Although hard to accept by some, The Romanian Language was spread to a much larger territory that the country "Romania" we know today.  Language survived in high-altitude places all the way to Italy and back to its historic sites of Macedonia.  Despite occupational oppressions, The Romanian Language along with its carriers has not changed in 4,000 years.  Nicola Tesla was just one of us: a Romanian who survived and opened doors to the future of Earthlings.   Croatia, Serbia, Yugoslavia, US, Romania, all can we adopt Nicola as our genius brother.

Hajduk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Hajduk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2010 at 08:48

Nicola Tesla was an Istro-Romanian. His real name was Nicolae Teslea. His father was the Orthodox priest Milutin Teslea. The original name of the family was Draghici (a name common also in Romania) but changed with the nicname "Teslea", which in both Istro-Romanian and Romanian means bass (the carpenter's tool) and in Serbian means nothing. His family was one of carpenters.

He was born in Lica province of Istria peninsula, which was compactly inhabited by Istro-Romanians since 15-16th centuries.

Is time for people arround the world to consider the true ethnic origin of Tesla.

See

http://www.filimon.com/NikolaTesla.htm

Other famous Romanian inventors which were wrongly disconsidered or wrongly considered are Stefan Odobleja, the true inventor of Cybernetics, Henry Coanda, the inventor of jet reaction.

Hello to all!

Nikola Tesla can't be Istro-Romanian or locally known as "Chichi" completely different region and culture , Istro-Romanians don't have anything with the Krajina Serb population they are Morlach-Croat mix and catholic faith and this is very important in our part of the world.

Lika is different region from Istra peninsula ,different dialect, reglion, influences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lika

From mother's side he has origins from eastern Hertzegovina region , one of the cradles of modern Serbian nation , surname Tesla is of Wallachian origin but not Romanian but Aromanian (modern Greece , Albania, FYR Macedonia) ,but origin doesn't matter because it was a big ethnic pot (Serbs, Bulgars ,Albanians, Greeks,Turks, ) from the end of 16th to the 18th century , when migrations stopped all orthodox people in Croatia were Serbs because Serbs were by far most numerous. Judging Nikola Tesla "nationality" by his surname which may give a clue to his very distant ethnic backround is simply ridiculous , Tesla like all orthodox christians in Lika region were and are full fledged Serbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBl8h4wawUY

Serbian Folk from Tesla's Lika, not very Romanian. Wink

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2010 at 21:51
Originally posted by Hajduk

Hello to all!

Nikola Tesla can't be Istro-Romanian or locally known as "Chichi"
completely different region and culture , Istro-Romanians don't have
anything with the Krajina Serb population they are Morlach-Croat mix
and catholic faith and this is very important in our part of the world.Lika is different region from Istra peninsula ,different dialect, reglion, influences.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lika

From mother's side he has origins from eastern Hertzegovina region ,
one of the cradles of modern Serbian nation , surname Tesla is of
Wallachian origin but not Romanian but Aromanian (modern Greece ,
Albania, FYR Macedonia) ,but origin doesn't matter because it was a big
ethnic pot (Serbs, Bulgars ,Albanians, Greeks,Turks, ) from the end of 16th to the 18th century , when migrations stopped all orthodox people in Croatia were Serbs because Serbs were by far most numerous. Judging Nikola Tesla "nationality" by his surname which may give a clue to his very distant ethnic backround is simply ridiculous , Tesla like all orthodox christians in Lika region were and are full fledged Serbs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBl8h4wawUY Serbian Folk from Tesla's Lika, not very Romanian. Wink

It was a mistake to say he was Istro-Romanian. He was of Vlach origin, the Black Vlachs brought by Ottomans in Croatia.

As I said in later messages in this thread, the historical evidences show that the Orthodox people from Croatia were mainly of Vlach and Greek origin and only in the third place of Serbian origin:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21934&PID=415135#415135

And a link to the original article (the link in my post is no longer functional):
http://www.croatianviewpoint.com/HousingFrameOne.php?ShowThisPage=WhoAreTheCroatianOrthodox

Also, in another post I said that the family of Nikolas Tesla has names showing rather a Vlach origin, not Serbian:

Father: Milutin Teslea. Formerly, the family of the father was called Draghici.

-Mother: Gica Mandici.

-Sisters: Anghelina, Milica, Marita.

-Brother: Dan

Hajduk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Hajduk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2010 at 06:29

Originally posted by Hajduk

Hello to all!

Nikola Tesla can't be Istro-Romanian or locally known as "Chichi"
completely different region and culture , Istro-Romanians don't have
anything with the Krajina Serb population they are Morlach-Croat mix
and catholic faith and this is very important in our part of the world.Lika is different region from Istra peninsula ,different dialect, reglion, influences.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lika

From mother's side he has origins from eastern Hertzegovina region ,
one of the cradles of modern Serbian nation , surname Tesla is of
Wallachian origin but not Romanian but Aromanian (modern Greece ,
Albania, FYR Macedonia) ,but origin doesn't matter because it was a big
ethnic pot (Serbs, Bulgars ,Albanians, Greeks,Turks, ) from the end of 16th to the 18th century , when migrations stopped all orthodox people in Croatia were Serbs because Serbs were by far most numerous. Judging Nikola Tesla "nationality" by his surname which may give a clue to his very distant ethnic backround is simply ridiculous , Tesla like all orthodox christians in Lika region were and are full fledged Serbs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBl8h4wawUY Serbian Folk from Tesla's Lika, not very Romanian. Wink

It was a mistake to say he was Istro-Romanian. He was of Vlach origin, the Black Vlachs brought by Ottomans in Croatia.

As I said in later messages in this thread, the historical evidences show that the Orthodox people from Croatia were mainly of Vlach and Greek origin and only in the third place of Serbian origin:

Also, in another post I said that the family of Nikolas Tesla has names showing rather a Vlach origin, not Serbian:

Father: Milutin Teslea. Formerly, the family of the father was called Draghici.

-Mother: Gica Mandici.

-Sisters: Anghelina, Milica, Marita.

-Brother: Dan

There is no historical evidence at all for your claim , putting Croatian sources in this subject is like putting neo-nazi sources that "only" million Jews were killed in the holocaust.

There is no prove at all how many people have Vlach origins , but for your information there are more domestic catholic Vlachs or in Croatian sources mentioned "good Croatian Vlachs" that are now mixed and well integrated into Croatian nation , Istro-Romanians are the only that survived while MavroVlachs come from the depths of the Balkans and contributed significantly to the local orthodox population. This two Vlachian groups are not to be mixed.

Don't post lies , names of Tesla family are very Slavic, Serbian. I come from this parts and this names are frequent , not just there but in any region with significant Serbian population.

And his mother's name is Georgina "Djuka" Mandich , surname Mandich come from Slavic name Manda.His brother name is not "Dan" but Dane, Dane is short from Danijel ,again used mostly by local Serbs. Names of his sisters Angelina, Milica and Marica are very frequent female Serbian names although today Angelina and Marica are pretty archaic names.

As i said Tesla surname is of Vlach origins but he was a Serbs with some Vlach very distant origins from fathers side ,his mother family comes from Banjani tribe in todays eastern Hertzegovina ,you can trust me a very hardcore Serbian region.

So, in the conclusion , you can't say Nikola Tesla is Romanian or Vlachian at all, i never heard example where distant origin of perhaps 300 to 400 years ago can determine nationality of some "XY" man today ,that is simply rubish, you must take into account ethnic, language and cultural assimilation but also interethnic mixing during those times. Tesla was Serbian and he considered to be Serb and was very ,very proud of it.

Edited by Hajduk - 17-May-2010 at 06:48
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2010 at 09:18
As you know,the ancestors of Serbs, Bosnians and Croatians were mainly the Old Balkanic population, the latinized Thracians and Illyrians that in some moments of history adopted the Slavic language.

By adopting the Serbo-Croatian language a Vlach or a Greek were becoming Serb only in the virtue of his Orthodox religion.

What we have to answer is: when was slavicized the population of Lika, of which Tesla originated?

What ethnicity was considered Tesla himself to be?

The article says that

"The presence of Vlachs is established in history, philosophy, novels, decrees or statutes, and place names on genuine original maps. 12 Place names such as Latinski Islam or Grcki Islam or the Vlasko More, as well the existence of former Greek or Eastern rite churches in Croatia testify to the existence and identity of the Vlachs and other Orthodox people in Croatia. Vlachs spoke an old vulgar Latin language and used the Latin script and this is no doubt why only five per cent of Misha Glenny's so-called-Krajina Serbs understood the Cyrillic script, something Glenny incorrectly attributed to an alleged Croatian government policy instead of to their non-Serbian ancestry.

Were Serbs (or rather Croatians, as one would expect) at that time when the Maurovlachs came, 16-17th century, in Lika region or it was depopulated as the article says?

Are there documents that Turks moved also Serbs into Croatia?

If those Orthodox people from Croatia were of Serian origin how comes that in their churches they were using Greek, not Slavonic language and they used Latin, not Cyrilic alphabet?

As for what Telsa considered himself to be, the article says:

And, at his eulogy the famous Mayor of New York City, LaGuardia, born to Italian and Hungarian Jewish parents from Trieste, described Tesla as the son of a Greek clergyman who had been born in Austria-Hungary and graduated from school in Croatia! He would have chosen his words carefully.

Tesla's father, whose real family name was Draganic had been ordained at what had originally been a Greek Orthodox Church, not a Serbian Orthodox church. If there was any portion of Serbian ethnicity in the Draganic or maternal Mandic line it would have originated several hundred years before his ancestors arrival in Hercegovina.

In spite of all this however, even Tesla identified himself as a Croat on his arrival at the Castle Garden Immigration office in Manhattan in 1884, even though the Croatian region of his birth was administered from Austria and not directly from Croatia at the time Tesla was living there.

So it seems that seeing Tesla as a Serb is a later construct, a product of Serbian nationalist propaganda.

Edited by Menumorut - 17-May-2010 at 09:26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>