Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tesla

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tesla
    Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 10:16
Nicola Tesla was an ethnic Serb who lived in Croatia. What are the roots for his last name, it doesnt sound typically Serbian. I always asumed he was Russian.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 04:26

There are disputes and debates arguing whether he was Croat or Serb. He was most likely not a Russian, though he can be kind of related due to his Slavik race. We can't judge this due to lack of evidence available, but what is important is that he was a brilliant inventor who shaped the world.

Join us.
Onkel_Wowa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 22:57
What is the difference between Serbs and Croatians? As far as I know, they speak the same language.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 16:33
Serbs are Orthodox Christians, Croatians are Catholics.   As well they have distinct histories that go beyond their current-day religion-- although they have a lot in common as well.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 16:57
Nicola Tesla was an Istro-Romanian. His real name was Nicolae Teslea. His father was the Orthodox priest Milutin Teslea. The original name of the family was Draghici (a name common also in Romania) but changed with the nicname "Teslea", which in both Istro-Romanian and Romanian means bass (the carpenter's tool) and in Serbian means nothing. His family was one of carpenters.

He was born in Lica province of Istria peninsula, which was compactly inhabited by Istro-Romanians since 15-16th centuries.

Is time for people arround the world to consider the true ethnic origin of Tesla.

See

http://www.filimon.com/NikolaTesla.htm

Other famous Romanian inventors which were wrongly disconsidered or wrongly considered are Stefan Odobleja, the true inventor of Cybernetics, Henry Coanda, the inventor of jet reaction.

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 19:32
In 1936, Tesla send to Dr Vladko Macek the following telegram: "I'm equally proud of my Serbian origin and my Croatian homeland''.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 20:15
Is not excluded to be a fake document.

How do you explain the names of family's members:

-Father: Milutin Teslea. Formerly, the family of the father was called Draghici. What is origin of Tesla name? Is Draghici more common among Serbians or among Romanians?

-Mother: Gica Mandici. Is Mandici a Serbian name? Or a very Romanian name? Isn't Gica a short form of Georgica, a Romanian name?

-Sisters: Anghelina, Milica, Marita. Is Anghelina meet at Serbians? At Romanians was common and is still used. Milica (pronounced Milika) is a short form of Romanian Emilia. Marita is a form of Maria, is meet also in other Balkanic languages but usualy at Romanians.

-Brother: Dan. Is this short form of Daniel as common among Serbians as it is among Romanians? (Dan is far more used than Daniel among Romanians)

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 21:47
Originally posted by Menumorut

-Father: Milutin Teslea. Formerly, the family of the father was called Draghici. What is origin of Tesla name? Is Draghici more common among Serbians or among Romanians?

-Mother: Gica Mandici. Is Mandici a Serbian name? Or a very Romanian name? Isn't Gica a short form of Georgica, a Romanian name?

-Sisters: Anghelina, Milica, Marita. Is Anghelina meet at Serbians? At Romanians was common and is still used. Milica (pronounced Milika) is a short form of Romanian Emilia. Marita is a form of Maria, is meet also in other Balkanic languages but usualy at Romanians.

-Brother: Dan. Is this short form of Daniel as common among Serbians as it is among Romanians? (Dan is far more used than Daniel among Romanians)

It doesn't seem as a fake, and what does name's have to do, with what that man felt as his homeland? My name has hebrew origins (Giannis) but I don't feel hebrew at all. 
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 23:04
It doesn't seem as a fake

If the fake documents would appear fake, they would be useless.

If the document is not fake, it may have another explanation: in 1936 Istria was under Italian fascist rule. The Croatian Ustashi were not seeing well the Istro-Romanians. In 1941-1945 Ustashi killed 750.000 Serbs, Jews and Roma people from Croatia (1.500.000 after Serbian sources, see Genocide in Satellite Croatia 1941- 1945) under the principle "a third will be converted to Catholicism, a third will be driven away and a third will be killed".

Assuming his Istro-Romanian origin would have led to a universal promotion of the idenity of the Istro-Romanians but on short term could lead to persecutions against his family and even against his small people.

what does name's have to do, with what that man felt as his homeland? My name has hebrew origins (Giannis) but I don't feel hebrew at all.

The names shows he was from a Romanic language speaking people.

What importance is how somebody feels?

Edited by Menumorut - 04-Oct-2007 at 23:10

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 07:04

what does name's have to do, with what that man felt as his homeland? My name has hebrew origins (Giannis) but I don't feel hebrew at all.

The names shows he was from a Romanic language speaking people.

What importance is how somebody feels?

Well from my point of view is the only thing that matters, if you feel closer to another culture, you have been raized in another environment than that of your ancestors and finally if your closer links are all from a different ethnic background. Then I guess that is natural for a romanian origin man to feel serb, or as another forumer post :

Originally posted by pinguin

Specially when your have had all your life indigenous friends, relatives in law, bosses and people you admire. When you grew up in the same schools and worked in the same jobs. When you eat the same food and enjoy the same traditional music. When you read indigenous poetry or visit indigenous ruins hundreds of years old.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 12:13
Well from my point of view is the only thing that matters, if you feel closer to another culture, you have been raized in another environment than that of your ancestors and finally if your closer links are all from a different ethnic background. Then I guess that is natural for a romanian origin man to feel serb, or as another forumer post :

Such ideas are rather philosophy than history, science. On topics like this one, we try to clarifiy the historical truth.

Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 14:30

Father- Milutin Tesla, not Teslae. Formerly, the family of the father was not called Draghici, but according to the information given by Jovan Dučić his family originates from the tribe of Pilatovci, while other versions say he originates from the families of Draginić and Komnenović- typical Southslavic, Serbian names.
Mother's name is not Gica, but Đuka, short from Georgina (born Mandić- not Mandichi)- again typical names used by Serbs. Brothers and sisters- Dane (again typical name amongst Serbo-Croatians- I have two cousins with such a name and both of them are Serbs)- not Dan, Angelina, Milka (pronounced Milka, not Milika), short from Milica (pronounced Militza, not Milika) and Marica (pronounced Maritza not Marika).
Did he had any relations to Vlachs?- yes indeed- and he must have had some  Illyrian blood too, as well as 99,99% per cent of Serbs, Croats and Bosniaks, but that doesn't mean he was Romanian.
Menumorut- where on Earth did you find this source to make such a claim?

Edited by Larus - 13-Oct-2007 at 14:41
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 15:38
On Romanian language sites:

http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

http://www.istro-romanian.net/articles/art990111.html

But from where are your sources? Why should be yours more autoritative than mine?

What means Tesla in Serbian? If you say that the family beared another name previously, why changed with Tesla?

Henry Coanda, the inventor of the jet reaction, says in a tape recording that he has meet Tesla in 1893 and that he was a Romanian from Banat (ofcourse a confussion, Tesla was an Istro-Romanian).

On that magnetophon tape, Coanda exclames:

"You see, one of the most important Romanians, who perhaps changed the life of all humanity, was a Banatian!"

Please answer: is true that Tesla's family is from a region compactly inhabited by Istro-Romanians?

Edited by Menumorut - 13-Oct-2007 at 15:54

Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 11:18

On Romanian language sites:

http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

But from where are your sources? Why should be yours more autoritative than mine?

What means Tesla in Serbian? If you say that the family beared another name previously, why changed with Tesla?

Henry Coanda, the inventor of the jet reaction, says in a tape recording that he has meet Tesla in 1893 and that he was a Romanian from Banat (ofcourse a confussion, Tesla was an Istro-Romanian).

On that magnetophon tape, Coanda exclames:

"You see, one of the most important Romanians, who perhaps changed the life of all humanity, was a Banatian!"

Please answer: is true that Tesla's family is from a region compactly inhabited by Istro-Romanians?

In English version of  Wikipedia we have not one word about possible Tesla's Romanian origin.

I have never read a single page in the officially recognized historical documents or books written by prominent historians who dealt with this matter where they mention possible Romanian origin of Nikola Tesla. 

To answer your last question; NO- Tesla is not from the region compactly inhabited by Istro-Romanians, he was from the region compactly inhabited by South Slavs. Today, according to the last census, from that region (Ličko-Senjska zupanija) only non-Slavic minority there are Albanians with 0,2% of total population.

Romanian wikipedia as their reference point uses a site which deals with the alternative history (http://ro.altermedia.info/istorie-alternativa/).
I don't deal with the alternative history and I don't believe that illegitimate child of Marilyn Monroe and John Kennedy grew up in Romanian orphanage, nor that Al Gore is an ethnic Romanian as the Romanian "National Journal" wrote which published the story about Tesla's "Romanian" origin in the first place.

Your other "source", Henry Coanda couldn't even get Tesla's place of birth right, not to mention his origin.

English wikipedia gives all the references you need (about 50 of them and about 100 notes to go with it) Check anyone you like. That is why I believe my sources are far better than yours.

Tesla was a Serb from Croatia, equally devoted to both his Serbian origin and to his Croatian homeland.

Again, I say, most of us do have Romanian blood, especially Serbs, but that doesn't changes the fact that he was no more Romanian or no less Serb than I am.

P.S. "Think"- Tesla's family name originates from Lika and can only be found in Lika. The name originates from the razor of the woodcutter. Allegedly, their family had a distinguished front teeth which attributed to their name. It is only hear-say, so it cannot be a reliable source.

Edited by Larus - 11-Nov-2007 at 11:51
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 12:38
I know he was a human from Earth
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 13:38
Originally posted by Illirac

I know he was a human from Earth

Hehhe, touche...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 15:30

Nicola Tesla was an Istro-Romanian. His real name was Nicolae Teslea. His father was the Orthodox priest Milutin Teslea. The original name of the family was Draghici (a name common also in Romania) but changed with the nicname "Teslea", which in both Istro-Romanian and Romanian means bass (the carpenter's tool) and in Serbian means nothing. His family was one of carpenters.

He was born in Lica province of Istria peninsula, which was compactly inhabited by Istro-Romanians since 15-16th centuries.

Is time for people arround the world to consider the true ethnic origin of Tesla.

See

http://www.filimon.com/NikolaTesla.htm

Other famous Romanian inventors which were wrongly disconsidered or wrongly considered are Stefan Odobleja, the true inventor of Cybernetics, Henry Coanda, the inventor of jet reaction.

Culturally and ethnically he was a Serb, saw himself as a Serb, died a Serb.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 17:34
In English version of Wikipedia we have not one word about possible Tesla's Romanian origin.

What an argument! Are you sure you try to make an objective opinion?

To answer your last question; NO- Tesla is not from the region compactly inhabited by Istro-Romanians, he was from the region compactly inhabited by South Slavs. Today, according to the last census, from that region (Ličko-Senjska zupanija) only non-Slavic minority there are Albanians with 0,2% of total population.

Today is after more than 100 years. The Istro-Romanians have been mostly assimilated, is one of the most endangered communities of Europe. Other Romance groups from the region have vanished, like the Romance Dalmats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalmatian_language

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6502/

Romanian wikipedia as their reference point uses a site which deals with the alternative history (http://ro.altermedia.info/istorie-alternativa/).
I don't deal with the alternative history and I don't believe that illegitimate child of Marilyn Monroe and John Kennedy grew up in Romanian orphanage, nor that Al Gore is an ethnic Romanian as the Romanian "National Journal" wrote which published the story about Tesla's "Romanian" origin in the first place.

Altermedia is something else than alternative history, anyway, the information from Altermedia is fully taken from the site of the Istro-Romanian organization:

English wikipedia gives all the references you need (about 50 of them and about 100 notes to go with it) Check anyone you like. That is why I believe my sources are far better than yours.

Not the number matters. If you check them you'll see that all have taken the same words from somewhere.

I searched the web and I found some Croatian website speaking about his father:

Milutin Tesla was born in Raduc, county Medak, Lika, on February 19, 1819. The Serbs came to Raduc from around Knin in the 1690s, having arrived there from western Serbia, via Hercegovina. The name Tesla denotes either a trade, as tesla is Serbian for adze- a small axe with a blade at right angles to the handle - or a physical characteristic, such as protruding teeth, prevalent in the Tesla family. The name Tesla is also found in Ukraine.

In Roman times, there was a place near Raduc, called Tesleum. Milutin's father, Nikola, was born in 1789, and during the Napoleonic wars, when Krajina was   part of the newly-formed French Province of Illyricum, was a sergeant in the French army. He married Ana Kalinic, from the family of Colonel Kalinic, who is mentioned in the Raduc military records for 1735 and 1754; sometime after 1815, and the return of the old Austrian order, he moved to Gospic.

Nikola and Ana had two sons: Milutin and Josif, and three daughters: Stanka, Janja, and one whose name has not been remembered.

http://www.serbnatlfed.org/Archives/Tesla/tesla-father.htm

I'm asking if tesla is a real Serbian word, because I searched some Serbian-English dictionaries and didn't found, as tesla can be found in Romanian-English dictionaries.

And look some interesting thing:

Certificate reports that he was born on June 28 (Julian calendar; July 10 in the Gregorian calendar), and christened by the Serb orthodox priest, Toma Oklobd'ija. It is interesting to note that he was a Serbian of Valachian descent.

http://www.frank.germano.com/nikolatesla.htm

Is interesting that this is the source from where many sites have taken the text but omited the part with the Valachian descent. To verify this, search for Toma Oklobd'ija.

Edited by Menumorut - 11-Nov-2007 at 17:37

Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 18:40
so what?...Because Berlin derive from the slavic word berlo(which means pole) do I have to think that the germans are slavs?, nonsense...a name origin is no proof
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 19:27

1. What an argument! Are you sure you try to make an objective opinion?

Check any non-Romanian Wikipedia and you'll find nothing regarding the Romanian origin of Nikola Tesla.

2. Today is after more than 100 years. The Istro-Romanians have been mostly assimilated, is one of the most endangered communities of Europe. Other Romance groups from the region have vanished, like the Romance Dalmats:

Hundred years ago Lika didn't have Istro-Romanians. Romanians have been assimilated hundreds of years ago before Tesla was born. There are places in Bosnia still called Romanija, Vlasenica, Vlaić, etc., but non of the population there considers themselves to be of Romanian origin. The are either Serbs,  Bosniaks, or Croats. They speak South Slavic language.

3. Altermedia is something else than alternative history, anyway, the information from Altermedia is fully taken from the site of the Istro-Romanian organization...

Link clearly says Alternative History (I can easily recognize words alternative and history). Since I cannot read Romanian, give me an English version of the source.

4. Not the number matters. If you check them you'll see that all have taken the same words from somewhere.

Yes, numbers in this case do in fact matter.

5. I'm asking if tesla is a real Serbian word, because I searched some Serbian-English dictionaries and didn't found, as tesla can be found in Romanian-English dictionaries.

The word in a similar form is used by Serbs and Croats (and Bosniaks, and Montenegrins) but it's not a Slavic word.
Is Vlad Tepesh Slavic just because Vlad is a Slavic name?

6. And look some interesting thing:
Certificate reports that he was born on June 28 (Julian calendar; July 10 in the Gregorian calendar), and christened by the Serb orthodox priest, Toma Oklobd'ija. It is interesting to note that he was a Serbian of Valachian descent.

Is interesting that this is the source from where many sites have taken the text but omited the part with the Valachian descent. To verify this, search for Toma Oklobd'ija.

Or this site got things wrong and included Valachian descent? It really doesn't matter.
There are families called Vlasich, but they are also Serbs or Croats. They were assimilated hundreds of years ago into the Slavic lingual family, thereby creating a nation of Serbs, or Croats, or Bosniaks, or Montenegrins, etc.
I don't think that anyone would hid his possible Wallachian  descent since there are so many families with Wallachian origin (like my own), and it's quite normal thing for someone who is a Serb, but it doesn't mean I'm Romanian.

Edited by Larus - 11-Nov-2007 at 19:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>