Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The bad side of Christianity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The bad side of Christianity
    Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 17:47
Originally posted by SuN.

Originally posted by pekau

Why bother starting this post? We already had tons of discussion like this before... Confused
Retaliation may be one of the reasons. may not be. or may be partially.

How about empathy? Being in the position that we put others in?
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 22:49
Originally posted by hugoestr

Originally posted by Kapikulu

In Christianity, at least in the Roman Catholic one, how come the Pope, who is selected by a bunch of cardinals, may have rights to forgive, excommunicate etc. people in the name of God.

What is the basepoint of this?

Thanks,

This absurdity happens when men prioritize tradition like Pharisees did over the teaching of God. As I already pointed out, Catholicism is perverted version of Christianity that should not be considered part of Christianity.

What is up with your anti-Catholicism? It is disturbing. Catholicism is Christian in its doctrine.

But let me hear more about this. What about other western denomination that are very close to the Catholic Church in its doctrines and rights. Are Lutherans Christians? How about Anglicans?
My god I've finally done it, I've entered the realm of The Bad Side of Christianity Thread...Shocked

Allow me to bring a lutherans' perspective.Smile  The reason for the anti-catholic feelings is because of the perceived hypocrisy of catholicism.  The idea of the pope, the catholic faiths' hierarchy, all the gold and pomp of catholic churches, the defining of doctrine, the worship of mary, veneration of saints, etc.  Those are some of the reasons for a less than positive view of catholicism-- because lutheran's have the opposite ideas on all those aspects. 

Edited by Justinian - 01-Nov-2007 at 06:44
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 04:44
Catholics do not worship Saints, veneration and worship are two distinct categories.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 06:43
A bad choice of words on my part, thank you for correcting me.  I edited the post to say veneration.  Lutherans don't venerate the saints at all and catholics do, hope that clears up everything.

Edited by Justinian - 01-Nov-2007 at 06:45

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 13:48
Justinian,

Besides some doctrines, Catholicism and Lutheranism are remarkably similar. Even the criticism about pomp and saint veneration exists within the Roman Catholics. I must add that many of these criticisms are right on the money as well, and I say that as a Roman Catholic.

My question to Pekau is that if he considers Lutherans and Anglicans, whose core doctrines are very close to Catholicism Christian or not
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 18:08
Originally posted by Justinian

Originally posted by Kapikulu

In Christianity, at least in the Roman Catholic one, how come the Pope, who is selected by a bunch of cardinals, may have rights to forgive, excommunicate etc. people in the name of God.

What is the basepoint of this?

Thanks,

This absurdity happens when men prioritize tradition like Pharisees did over the teaching of God. As I already pointed out, Catholicism is perverted version of Christianity that should not be considered part of Christianity.

What is up with your anti-Catholicism? It is disturbing. Catholicism is Christian in its doctrine.

But let me hear more about this. What about other western denomination that are very close to the Catholic Church in its doctrines and rights. Are Lutherans Christians? How about Anglicans?
My god I've finally done it, I've entered the realm of The Bad Side of Christianity Thread...Shocked

Allow me to bring a lutherans' perspective.Smile  The reason for the anti-catholic feelings is because of the perceived hypocrisy of catholicism.  The idea of the pope, the catholic faiths' hierarchy, all the gold and pomp of catholic churches, the defining of doctrine, the worship of mary, veneration of saints, etc.  Those are some of the reasons for a less than positive view of catholicism-- because lutheran's have the opposite ideas on all those aspects. 

Well Pekau, I should thank you for being rather delicate with your choice of words, most other denominations call us the "Whore of Babylon" and refer to us Catholics as Satan himself.

As for the Papal office or "Pope", Catholics believe this was an office instited by Christ himself (not man-made)as he also gave power and the spirit to the other Apostles(pentecost). And thru this we see Apostolic succession thru the laying on of hands.....thus as we have it today every bishop is in communion with Apostolic Succession right up to the Apostles and in turn to Christ himself. In essence, the first and only Church.
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 18:37
Being that we all have to make this world as good as a place as we can, more power to God fearing people and anyone else for that matter who gives a hoot.

However, for now I do have one bone to pick. Make that three.

The bad side of Christianity:

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 20:35

Justinian,

Besides some doctrines, Catholicism and Lutheranism are remarkably similar. Even the criticism about pomp and saint veneration exists within the Roman Catholics. I must add that many of these criticisms are right on the money as well, and I say that as a Roman Catholic.

My question to Pekau is that if he considers Lutherans and Anglicans, whose core doctrines are very close to Catholicism Christian or not
Gotcha.Wink

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 09:08

This thread, "The bad side of Christianity," along with several others, has been moved from "Intellectual Discussions" to the more appropriate "Philosophy and Theology" subforum. Sorry for any inconvenience.

-Akolouthos
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2007 at 01:14
Aww! the late Tammy Baker with all her make up. I saw a T-shirt with a mass of pink on it and it said, " I ran into Tammy Baker."
Benny Hinn what a fake and phony. He has created his own theology and empire.
Pat Robertson- I may not want him as presidents but some of his values, when it deals with marriage and family, I agree with. His theology is strange as well and from what I hear he believes that Christians must take control of government before the return of Christ. Can any one spell theocracy?

Originally posted by Seko

Being that we all have to make this world as good as a place as we can, more power to God fearing people and anyone else for that matter who gives a hoot.

However, for now I do have one bone to pick. Make that three.

<FONT face=Arial size=3>The bad side of Christianity:

<FONT face=Arial size=3>

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 20:58
I am agnostic so I have no preference in terms of religion.

But one thing I hate about Christianity the most is their Christian missionary(mostly Protestant and the Mormon). They will keep knocking on your door and luring people in the street and threatening you if You don't believe in Jesus you will burn in the Hell...etc .Although you already said"No" hundred times.

The other thing is hypocrisy. Many of their famous preachers openly voice against commiting homosexuality and adultery in the public. In private, many of them are  acutallly gayor Adulterer themselves.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 19:58
Originally posted by Killabee

I am agnostic so I have no preference in terms of religion.

But one thing I hate about Christianity the mostis their Christian missionary(mostly Protestant and the Mormon). They will keep knocking on your door and luring people inthe street and threatening you if You don't believe in Jesus you will burn in the Hell...etc.Although you already said"No" hundred times.

The other thing is hypocrisy. Many of their famous preachers openly voice against commitinghomosexuality and adultery in the public. In private, many of them are acutallly gayor Adulterer themselves.

I agree and cannot stand it either but as far as preachers commiting acts of homosexuality, that represents only a few and has been condemed by most Chritians.
Frankly, I thought the athiest at my former college were much more in your face than any Christian or Mormon I have ever met and there are some communist groups in the USA who would forcefully take away one's right to worship God if they could such as in Russia, China, Vietnam.
I am glad that people can express themselves but they should know when to back off so I agree with you on that point.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678