Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The mysterious "CHE"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The mysterious "CHE"
    Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 15:16
Che%20Guevara

Before speaking about the Che Guevara, let's find out what does the famous word "Che" means. In fact, in regular language "Che" just mean "Argentinean". So "Che" Guevara would mean only "The Argentinean Guevara"....

However, the word "Che" itself is a little more mysterious. I suspect that it got its roots in Mapuche language, where "Che" mean "man"...

I translate this article from Wiki Spanish to show you these and other theories about the word "Che". I hope you enjoy it...

The etimology of the word Che

Che is a Spanish interjection used commonly in Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, some parts of Brazil, Bolivia, and also in Valencia, Spain (equivalent to the Valencian xe, or Ebro-delta Catalan xa: the Valencia CF soccer team is known as "Els Xes" or "the Xe team".). It is an exclamation, often used to get attention or express surprise, and so it corresponds in some ways to exclamations such as "hey!", "eh!" and "wow!". It is also used in a vocative sense as though it meant "friend", and thus corresponds in some ways to expressions such as "mate", "pal", "man", or "dude" that can be found in the speech of various English speakers. Like these words, it may be used both before and after a phrase: "Man, this is some good beer", or, "Let's go get a beer, man." ("Xe, est buena la cerveza." or "Vamos a buscar unas cervezas, xe.")

The word has also spread to southern parts of Portuguese-speaking Brazil (usually written as "Tch").

In other Latin American countries, the term Che is used to refer to someone from Argentina. For example, Ernesto "Che" Guevara earned his nickname from his frequent use of this expression, which, particularly to his Cuban comrades, was a curious feature of his speech. Guevara is popularly known simply as el Che in Latin American countries. This sort of appellation based on utterance is common when persons from different cultures interact (see, for example, les goddams).

Several tango song names start with the word che (e.g. Che, bandonen and Che, papusa, o). Also, Cheeee! was a catchphrase used by the late Jos Marrone when impersonating the clown Pepitito.

The origin of this word is unclear. It may have derived from several native South American languages: in Guarani language che means simply "I" or "my", in Tehuelche and Puelche (Pampa) languages che means "man", and in Mapudungun language (Mapuche) it means "people". Others, however, argue that the word che is derived from the archaic Spanish word ce, used to call someone's attention. Another theory connects it with the Italian greeting Ciao introduced to South America by Italian immigrants.

Post Reply Post Reply