Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sewage treatment in Roman cities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rakasnumberone View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rakasnumberone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sewage treatment in Roman cities
    Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 15:25
I've always wondered how urban centers dealt with the things we take for granted with the advantages of indoor plumbing. The flushing toilets have really improved sanitation and general health, but what did people do before this time?

I of course in rural areas there were outhouses, but what about cities? When I visited Ephesus there were the remains of public restrooms that facilitated the neighborhoods and were continually flushed by water from the aqueducts into the near by bay. Must have made the water front, not prime property, but did get rid of the immidiate problem. However, many Roman cities throughout the empire were land locked. Where did they dispose of the waste water?
dexippus View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote dexippus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 04:35
Rome was famous for  its sewer system, which was designed not so much to filter waste as to drain the ordinarily swampy lowlands in between the hills. The rudiments of the sewer date to the early republic, where there is evidence of ambitious drainage projects; by the early empire a major system of sewers, flowing into the famous cloaca maxima, was in  well in place (Marcus Agrippa, Augustus' closest advisor, tasked with reforming the sewer system, was able to row up the cloaca maxima in a boat to make an inspection, such was its girth). Some latrines might over sit the cloaca, and drainage from chamber pots would flow  from the streets to the sewer, but as advanced as this system was by ancient standards, the city would no doubt have reeked with the odor of undisposed   human caca.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 06:08
...Also, the earlier sewer systems actually disposed the filth from the tiber AWAY from Rome, ensuring that the water was almost always fresh. After the extensive migrations to Rome in the republic, caused by the wars, these good early sewer systems became inadequate and filth set in. It was quite usual in Augustan times to just have a ditch by the side of the road into which people from the Insulae would pour in their filth. Julius Caesar instated a law which covered these up, but generally, sewers from for the Plebeians and some poorer "Knights". The Domus of the pluetocrat would have a room much like in Medevil castles, where a man like a gong-farmer would collect this accumilated manure and use it on the land - a good, sound, economly advantageous solution.
Rakasnumberone View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Suspended

Quote Rakasnumberone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 09:46
So you mean things weren't as clean as we are led to believe? I thought here were latrines in every neighborhood. I think I would have opted to live in the country!

Okay, so there was a main sewer in Rome, but how about land locked cities? Where did the waste water go?
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 11:22
Land locked cities, certainly the big ones, could have aquaducts too. In fact, I do not think being landlocked made much of a difference, as the acuaducts fed off springs in the hills or mountains, not off the sea (which would make gravity a bit of a problem).

A lot of large cities, certainly ones dating back abit, tend to be built along rivers or streams. The river would presumeably be very dirty afer having passed through a substantial city, but additional watersteams joining it downriver might clear it up enough before the next city.

The Roman aquaducts led water from quite far away to make sure it was clean of city pollution. Some of them are still working. If you have ever been in Rome, you might have noticed the little taps and fountains here and there along the streets. These are fed by an aquaduct (the Aqua Virgo, which was build by Agrippa), and the water is actually still drinkeable (well, oficially it is not, but I have drunk it on several occasions, without any sideeffects. The non-potability is just an understandable disclaimer of the city council). The Trevi fountains are fed from the same aquaduct. The water is led directly into the aquaduct at the spring somewhere in the hills more than 20 km away. The decline over its full length is only 4 meters.

This is a public tiolet in Ostia Antica. (sorry it's a bit small, the full sized one is too bigg to load). The little channels in the floor would have water running through them, and there would be a collection of rags on sticks which could be dipped in the water and used to wipe...for common use... (well, if that does not give a nice image of sanitation in those days... running water, yes, toiletpaper, no...Wink)

The Domus of the pluetocrat would have a room much like in Medevil castles, where a man like a gong-farmer would collect this accumilated manure and use it on the land - a good, sound, economly advantageous solution.
There was a downside to this as well: to prevent diseases like dysentery, everything grown on human-manured ground had to be boiled really well. Including, for instance, lettuce. Yum.LOL

Edited by Aelfgifu - 20-Sep-2007 at 11:25

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 04:36
For the ancient world, it was good but generally? Disgusting. Water only reached the lower floors of the crowded insulae that made up a significant bulk of Roman cities, and thus the lower floor was a "domus" which was the best apartment. For the higher floors, the occupant had to carry water up many flights of steps to their room. Windows which were too large in winter, and too small in summer meant that the Room was either too hot in the winter or too cold in the summer. The braziers which Romans used to light their rooms often covered the walls with soot and charcol, and didn't have enough ventilation. Even this flith wasn't cleaned up much - the average Roman pleb probably had to rent a portion of one flat from a landlord, and many families usually lived in a small flat. Because of the height of the cheap blocks, and the distance of the nearest source of water, many just couldn't be bothered to clean out their rooms, making fire a massive risk. Read Juvenal and Terence - they really rip the hell out of insulaes and their dangers. I would agree with you, Raskalnumberone - it would have been better to live in a "domus" in the countryside...if you could afford it Wink
conon394 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote conon394 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 07:01

There was a downside to this as well: to prevent diseases like dysentery, everything grown on human-manured ground had to be boiled really well. Including, for instance, lettuce. Yum

Not necessarily depends on how you use the human manure. If you applied it before planting or perhaps during a fallow year - given the regions hot, sunny, and dry summer days the manure would problem be rendered relatively harmless. Of course it you were slopping it on while the crop was growing you would be much more likely to run the noted risks.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 08:37
Yes - that's why drainage systems weren't that advanced in the country - the farmer or landlord (more likely landlord) could use the manure to enrich the soil. Also, as you said above, Conon394 - it's rendered harmless when in direct sunlight and dry weather. Since Italy is hot and dry for MOST of the year, we can assume that sewage related issues weren't that large. Think of how late the ancients died!
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 10:31
As I recall, the sewer system at Roman Corinth, as well as the water supply, was controlled by a natural spring and the incline at which the city was built. The water flowed from the spring down through a series of channels to the city. The public latrines had one of these channels set into them, which curved around the individual latrines themselves. I managed to dig up the pictures and link below. The link has pictures and brief descriptions of many ancient sewer systems.

-Akolouthos
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 11:23
I love this topic!
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 10:40
...Me as well, and for that reason, I'm probably going to write an article on it "sewage systems in pre-Augustan Rome".
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2007 at 14:36
I read somewhere that the Roman water-sewage system was originally invented by the Etruscans.

Does anyone have any more info on the "running water" system in Etruscan cities?
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 16:50

hmmm...have a look at H.H. Scullard - a history of Rome from 753 - 146 BC and a little look at the earlier books of Livy. The Etruscans invented many of the Roman systems and styles of art, so I wouldn't be suprised if such a system was also begun by them.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 19:37
Originally posted by calvo

I read somewhere that the Roman water-sewage system was originally invented by the Etruscans.

Does anyone have any more info on the "running water" system in Etruscan cities?

I have heard this too. I seem to rememver that the Etruscans invented the architectural arch, and were the first to build a drainage system with it. No idea where I read it though...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply