Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Gregorian Calendar and the missing 10 days

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yaomitl View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yaomitl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Gregorian Calendar and the missing 10 days
    Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 15:57
In David Ewing Duncan's The Calendar it states that Spain "and its colonies" made the transition from the Julian calendar to the new Gregorian system in 1582, specifically excising 10 days between October the 4th and 15th (ie - you went to bed on the 4th, and the next morning it was the 15th) in order that the new system (featuring a more accurate arrangement of leap years) could catch up with the solar year. however, elsewhere in the same book it suggests that this might have occured at a slightly later date in the more distant colonies owing to the difficulty of communicating over such distances. I've done the google thing but, as usual, just come up with a load of new-age guff.
So... can anyone tell me, did Mexico lose October 5th to 14th, 1582, or did their transition from one calendar to another occur at a slightly later date?

edited next day: well, it turns out the change was made in 1583, though I'm not sure exactly when. Gordon Brotherston's Feather Crown states that an indigenous feast that would ordinarily have began (ie corresponded to) on October 22nd (Julian calendar) actually began on November 1st (Gregorian time) in 1583, although that may not neccessarily represent the actual missing days so much as a shift effected in their wake. More news as it breaks.

Edited by Yaomitl - 17-Sep-2007 at 05:13
"For as long as the world shall endure, the honour and the glory of Mexico-Tenochtitlan must never be forgotten."
- Chimalpahin Quautlehuanitzin
<a href="http://www.theotherconquest.com
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 22:32
As far as I could find, all the Catholic countries (Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, etc.) and its colonies changed the calendar at the same day.
It is hard to believe Mexicans did later, considering that the order came from the Pope.

However, it is an interesting mistery. I'll stay tuned if you find more info

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2007 at 13:35
Just an objection:

Sometimes i wake up in the morning and i do miss the last 10 hours. But 10 days, no, not contemplable.

Post Reply Post Reply