Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spousal Abuse in Sports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spousal Abuse in Sports
    Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 13:56
I recently read this article and very much concur with its contents. It deals with the fact that Michael Vick (the U.S. football superstar who pled guilty to charges of animal abuse) will be facing jail time for his role in the dog fighting ring incident, whereas many football stars faced with charges of domestic violence (spousal abuse)get off with a slap on the wrist and never even get a suspension from the NFL. Major League Baseball isnt any better when it did not penalize Phillies pitcher Brett Myers when he assaulted his wife and was charged with assault and battery. Neither is the National Basketball Association when it did not penalize New Jersey Nets Jason Kidd when he pleaded guilty to spousal abuse. The list goes on and on. Its sad to think that a man who commits a horrendous act against a woman gets a slap on the wrist, but gets jail time committing a horrendous act against a dog. PETA had a major role in the Vick charges and his guilty plea, so I think women organizations need to step it up a notch or two for the rights of women victims who suffer at the hands of these men.

Source: http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/3285/context/uncoveringgender

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 16:01
Double Jepordy rule might apply there if he has recieved judicially mandated punishment.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 15:36
Sparten, what it says (pretty much) is that it's okay to beat a woman because they can still play pro, but beating a dog may cause suspension from playing. Who do you suppose they are going to get their frustrations out on? -(clue - not the dog!) Not to say that it's okay to beat a dog, but they should also get a suspension when beating women!
"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 01:03
Morty, if they recievced a judicial punishment, then the league may have been prevented from punishing them further, since that would mean that they were being punished twice for the same crime. I am not sure, but its valid speculation.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 07:02
Yes, you are really leaving far too many variables open here. There is probably a very good reason behind the punishments given, they are just being beaten into the background, and out of context, by agenda pushers.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 10:51
As far as I know they are never given any punishments, Jason Kidd wasn't and many others as well. It happens quite often, and one must account for the unreported incidents as well. What has been developing sadly here in American sports is continuous glorification almost of such events. They are hushed up at best, the culprit given a slap on the wrist. Whereas when Vick was accused of dog fighting charges the legal system actually took it seriously. The problem is not of double jeopardy as most of these have never been actually given any punishment at all for assaulting women.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 11:50
I think the idea that women can fight back or run away tends to be taken into account, although that is of course no justification at all...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 11:56

Fight back? Against a 210 Cm, 130 KG  man? No way.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 12:12
Originally posted by Sparten

Fight back? Against a 210 Cm, 130 KG  man? No way.

Indeed.
Yet many women who are beaten by their husbands have to deal with questions about why they did not run away or fight back.
Like I said, it is no justification at all, but I wonder if it is still playing a part in peoples minds, considering animal abuse gets so much more reaction than spousal abuse.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 15:31
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

but I wonder if it is still playing a part in peoples minds, considering animal abuse gets so much more reaction than spousal abuse.

From what I've noticed, more Americans kick up a fuss about a stray dog than they do about a homeless person. Stray dogs are "poor things", while homeless people are "bums".
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 15:43
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Yes, you are really leaving far too many variables open here. There is probably a very good reason behind the punishments given, they are just being beaten into the background, and out of context, by agenda pushers.

No, it is not, Omar! All too often sports leagues value their players' ability to win more than their moral behavior. These sport jocks should be role models for other young men, but instead they go around doing horrible things which are covered up by the leagues simply because they cannot win games without them. The leagues need these "bad" boys in the game or else they will LOSE! That's the only reason! Once they get injured, they are DUMPED by the leagues because they are of no further use to them! It's that simple. The only reason the Vick matter was on the front pages was because PETA got involved.

Edited by morticia - 20-Sep-2007 at 15:48
"Morty

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 21:36
I'm just saying the courts probably know what they are doing. Your actually talking about two different things: the judiciary system, and the reaction from the leagues.

I mean, the leagues didn't do anything when the dog was attacked either it appears, only the courts did. So the leagues haven't punished in either case (this is probably highly questionable but not hypocritical), if you want to know why the court punished differently then I suspect there is a very good reason. The leagues can't affect the decision of the courts.
 Post Reply Post Reply