Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Charles V vs. Suleiman the Magnificent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charles V vs. Suleiman the Magnificent
    Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 10:16
Prove it. Spain's Golden Century was going on and, as far as I know, that period has a lot more importance to the development of human culture that the Ottoman arts of the time. Don Juan and Don Quixote were not Ottomans, after allLOL.

It is impossible to compare traditions of art and say this one is superior. I only wrote Ottomans were culturally superior because some upstarts here dared to write that they were inferior barbarians.

Back to you, your mention of 'human culture' is an imperialist euphemism for 'Western culture'. Because the West conquered the world thanks to the industrial revolution later (not because of Spanish achievements) we are told that European art forms are universal human achievements of genius, while the non-European achievements don't even exist.

You should know that Ottoman, Safavi, Mughal, Chinese, etc arts and cultural achievements were not inferior to those of the West. If you never heard of Sinan the Great architect, or Baki the poet that's your ignorance. If these people lived in Europe, today we'd be learning how great unmatched geniouses they were.

If you don't know of other cultures and art forms, you should at least have the decency to shut up rather than claiming you invented 'human culture'.

Prove it. Prove that Spaniards had a policy of genocide (like Brits did...)
Prove that the crown didn't react to the crimes of Columbus in Hispaniola.
Prove that Queen Isabel I didn't care about Indians.
Prove that Amerindians were exterminated.

Second, prove that Spanish Inquisition killed MORE Protestants that the victims of the hunting of witches by the rightful Protestants!  Do you know how many people died of "Inquisition"? I do know, but I bet you don't.

Everybody knows what happened to the native American cultures invaded by the Spanish. And that the Inquisition is also infamous.

By contrast, I'll tell you of an event in the Ottoman Empire. There was a muslim religious learned man who claimed that Jesus was superior prophet to Muhammad. Suleyman thought that he was a dangerous heretic, wanted to get him killed. So he faced a court, which asked the opinion of religious experts. The experts decided that the man was not guilty! 

Now imagine this happening in Spain. The King Charles V wants to kill a religious scholar who believes Muhammad is superior to Jesus. Inquisition tries the man and finds him not guilty... It is more likely that the Martians land in Madrid than this.

To make a long story short, Ottomans under Suleyman were far more tolerant than the Habsburgs.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 10:45
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Prove it. Spain's Golden Century was going on and, as far as I know, that period has a lot more importance to the development of human culture that the Ottoman arts of the time. Don Juan and Don Quixote were not Ottomans, after allLOL.

It is impossible to compare traditions of art and say this one is superior. I only wrote Ottomans were culturally superior because some upstarts here dared to write that they were inferior barbarians.

Back to you, your mention of 'human culture' is an imperialist euphemism for 'Western culture'. Because the West conquered the world thanks to the industrial revolution later (not because of Spanish achievements) we are told that European art forms are universal human achievements of genius, while the non-European achievements don't even exist.

You should know that Ottoman, Safavi, Mughal, Chinese, etc arts and cultural achievements were not inferior to those of the West. If you never heard of Sinan the Great architect, or Baki the poet that's your ignorance. If these people lived in Europe, today we'd be learning how great unmatched geniouses they were.

If you don't know of other cultures and art forms, you should at least have the decency to shut up rather than claiming you invented 'human culture'.

Man, this is the most winding argument that i have seen in many time: because you want to say that the ottomans wasn't barbarians you said that they had a superior cultural level than habsburgian europeans but really you don't wanted to say that thing because the cultural golden ages can't be compared but in fact you want to talk about China and India and about the ignorance of Pinguin... ConfusedDead Dude, admit that you maked a mistake in the cultural point of the discussion, no problem here...

Edited by Ikki - 17-Sep-2007 at 10:48
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 11:03

Wrong argument, fellow. I never say Ottomans were barbarians. I just say you can't claim Spain's Golden Age was a minor achievement at all.

Besides, I like orientals arts as well, so you miss the target.

..If you never heard of Sinan the Great architect, or Baki the poet that's your ignorance. If these people lived in Europe, today we'd be learning how great unmatched geniouses they were.

I know about Omar Kahyyam, Al Kwarismi, Alhazen and many other outstanding Muslims intellectuals. If I don't know about Baki or Sinan is simply because they are not the most famous figures in the sphere of the Muslim achievements... I am afraid. And that is not my fault. It is just a matter of more promotion.

I never claimmed that. I just said everybody knows Don Juan (Mozart knew it and called Don Giovanni) and Don Quixote. I bet you also know them LOL

Everybody knows what happened to the native American cultures invaded by the Spanish. And that the Inquisition is also infamous.

Nobody denies that. I was just pointing to the exagerations, that's all.
It is know the Inquisition produced 3.000 victims in all its history. The bad point is that the way the killed the victims was so cruel that our society is still shocked because those events. In fact, the hate against the catholic bureocracy still exist in Hispanic societies. 

By contrast, I'll tell you of an event in the Ottoman Empire. There was a muslim religious learned man who claimed that Jesus was superior prophet to Muhammad. Suleyman thought that he was a dangerous heretic, wanted to get him killed. So he faced a court, which asked the opinion of religious experts. The experts decided that the man was not guilty! 

Now imagine this happening in Spain. The King Charles V wants to kill a religious scholar who believes Muhammad is superior to Jesus. Inquisition tries the man and finds him not guilty... It is more likely that the Martians land in Madrid than this.

To make a long story short, Ottomans under Suleyman were far more tolerant than the Habsburgs.

I don't doubt that either. In fact, Spain expulsed half of it Jewish population and forced the rest to convert to Catholicism and the Ottoman Empire receive a good part of those refugees in there, and respected theirs human rights. I know that and I appreciate that.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 17-Sep-2007 at 11:05
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 11:07

What kind of comparison is this?! How can you compare a situation in which you have a person who is a prophet for two faiths (Jesus is a prophet also for Islam as we know) with another (hypothetical) situation in which you have a person who has no meaning for one of the two faiths (Muhammad has no role in the economy of Christian faith, to say it "kindly", as we know)?

About the often abused word "tolerance", you commit the "sin" of anachronism if you apply the modern view of "tolerance" to the past. Nowadays in our global politically correct society "tolerance" is better than "intolerance" but for people living in the past "truth" was far more important than "tolerance" ...

Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 11:18
This two men fought for supremacy. Millitarily ottomans were superior without any doubt. Lepanto is a desecive victory for christians. In this battle spanishs werent alone, their ally venice was on their side. And friends this battle wasnt in the period we are discussing. In suleimans period the only successes of europeans were in defence. I mean, if defending Wien from 30 September to 15 October is a success this is because of the superiority of OttomansWink. And Malta was the other success. Can you think Habsburgs approaching Istanbul. This was impossible. 
          Again, invading America wasnt a success against ottomans. It was a success against the americans.   
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 11:45
Of course Ottoman were superior in armies.They have the best artillery for instance and large organized armies that threatened the invasion of all Western Europe.
For instance, it was precisely that fact which triggered the reaction of the West. The Age of Discovery, for example, happened because the Ottomans blocked the commercial contact of the West with East Asia, stopping the traffic of the specias, which were important to preserve foods in a time refrigerators were unknown.
After the flood of silver and money that the invasion of the Americas gave to Europeans, things started to change a little, but the Ottoman menace remain, and that triggered once again the development of technology.
It was only in the 19th century that the West even with Turkey and it has to wait for the 20th to surpass it in military power.
Therefore, in a way, most of the events of the Modern age can be read under the light of the threat that the Ottoman power represented to the West... Russia included in that definition of "West".

Pinguin

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 11:56
Originally posted by Evrenosgazi

This two men fought for supremacy. Millitarily ottomans were superior without any doubt. Lepanto is a desecive victory for christians. In this battle spanishs werent alone, their ally venice was on their side. And friends this battle wasnt in the period we are discussing. In suleimans period the only successes of europeans were in defence. I mean, if defending Wien from 30 September to 15 October is a success this is because of the superiority of OttomansWink. And Malta was the other success. Can you think Habsburgs approaching Istanbul. This was impossible. 
          Again, invading America wasnt a success against ottomans. It was a success against the americans.   

Very good point, Evrenos. Also a side note: Suleyman's real alias was "the  Lawgiver", he was called "the Magnificent" only in the west . One should think about it. "Magnificent". This can help us understand the psychological influence of Suleyman whereas there was no special alias given to Charles V by the Ottomans. If Charles V had been a great personality to the Ottomans, he would have had an alias given by the Ottomans anyway. Just like Peter the great for instance.  Peter meant a lot of things to the Ottomans and he was known in the Ottoman empire as "Peter the psycho".

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 12:34
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

Very good point, Evrenos. Also a side note: Suleyman's real alias was "the  Lawgiver", he was called "the Magnificent" only in the west . One should think about it. "Magnificent". 

... and this confirms how biased, intolerant, turks-hater were the  Europeans living that time Smile

Originally posted by The Hidden Face

Just like Peter the great for instance.  Peter meant a lot of things to the Ottomans and he was known in the Ottoman empire as "Peter the psycho".

... and this confirms how tolerant, fair and open-minded were the Ottomans living that time Smile

Edited by Leonardo - 17-Sep-2007 at 12:35
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 12:36
Man, this is the most winding argument that i have seen in many time: because you want to say that the ottomans wasn't barbarians you said that they had a superior cultural level than habsburgian europeans but really you don't wanted to say that thing because the cultural golden ages can't be compared but in fact you want to talk about China and India and about the ignorance of Pinguin... ConfusedDead Dude, admit that you maked a mistake in the cultural point of the discussion, no problem here...

Some people said Habsburgs were culturally superior, and Ottomans were barbarians and I replied Ottomans were culturally superior. Giving them the other side of the argument.

I get angry when I encounter racist views like that, so I gave them an answer in the language they understand. Without such provocation I do not go around comparing the relative worth of art traditions.

In other words, I responded an escalation with another, and when they backed down, I also backed down by saying that it is meaningless to compare art traditions.

I never claimmed that. I just said everybody knows Don Juan (Mozart knew it and called Don Giovanni) and Don Quixote. I bet you also know them

Everybody knows them because the West colonised the world. Not because they are geniouses unmatched in Asia.

I know about Omar Kahyyam, Al Kwarismi, Alhazen and many other outstanding Muslims intellectuals. If I don't know about Baki or Sinan is simply because they are not the most famous figures in the sphere of the Muslim achievements... I am afraid. And that is not my fault. It is just a matter of more promotion.

Who is famous and who is not, is also determined by the West. It  tells absolutely nothing about their achievements. In Turkey everyone knows Sinan and nobody knows Don Juan.

About the often abused word "tolerance", you commit the "sin" of anachronism if you apply the modern view of "tolerance" to the past. Nowadays in our global politically correct society "tolerance" is better than "intolerance" but for people living in the past "truth" was far more important than "tolerance" ...

My point is that the Ottomans at the time were more tolerant than the Habsburgs. And I prefer tolerant cultures.

You are free to assign any moral values to tolerance and intolerance. Just watch it next time when you go on a tirade about the cultural superiority of the Habsburgs.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 12:49

My point is that the Ottomans at the time were more tolerant than the Habsburgs. And I prefer tolerant cultures.

This is matter of taste, with which I could also agree, but you can't judge past civilizations using modern values.

You are free to assign any moral values to tolerance and intolerance. Just watch it next time when you go on a tirade about the cultural superiority of the Habsburgs.

Show me please where I have written something about "cultural superiority of the Habsburgs".

Edited by Leonardo - 17-Sep-2007 at 12:51
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 12:56

I never claimmed that. I just said everybody knows Don Juan (Mozart knew it and called Don Giovanni) and Don Quixote. I bet you also know them

Everybody knows them because the West colonised the world. Not because they are geniouses unmatched in Asia.

I don't agree.

By the way, if they don't know Don Giovanni (Don Juan Tenorio) it is quite sad...Cry ...they have missed the fun part of art history LOLLOL. Besides, Don Quixote was voted not long ago as the best literary book ever written. Between the voters there were many muslim writers that I bet know more about literature that you, fellow.

And I bet there is not match for Mozart in the world... he was the fellow that addopted Don Juan for his Opera Don Giovanni, anyways.

And the West also had recognized the value of the Arabian Nights, the Tao te King and the Kamasutra, among others "oriental" classics, so I believe your claim of Eurocentrism is not fair.

Who is famous and who is not, is also determined by the West. It  tells absolutely nothing about their achievements.

False, people is recognized because its importance to the world. And people like Kahyyam and Alhazen made such important contributions that nobody could forget them, no matter they were Muslims.

In Turkey everyone knows Sinan and nobody knows Don Juan.

Every country has local heroes. We are talking in here of figure that transcend locality and are known worldwide.

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 13:34
Originally posted by Leonardo

... and this confirms how biased, intolerant, turks-hater were the  Europeans living that time Smile

... and this confirms how tolerant, fair and open-minded were the Ottomans living that time Smile

Hehe. Good points there as well. However these things are little bit off topic. I want to focus only on Charles and Suleyman and their powers. Though cultural toleration or open mindedness of Westerners and the Ottomans are also interesting subject and must be examined but in this thread it's getting confusing.

But anyway, If you want a serious answer to that, I would say that we could easily find the writings/nicknames which directly insult as well as caricaturise the Ottomans in the west ("sick man" comes to mind for instance)  and we could also see that there are Ottoman writings which glorify the western achievements/western statesmen. And vice versa. But important point is that these names show the relation between sides.  Peter was psycho because he was abnormal to the Ottomans.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 14:37
Mortaza:By the way, There is not Turkish method of impalement

Until 19 century Ottomans developed such  techniques so that the victim could feel the pain during all the process. This was managed by inserting the pale in a way so none of the vital parts of the body( intestine,stomach, lungs etc.)  would be hurt (placing the victim on the ground, streching his legs and striking skilfully the pale with a hammer and checking the direction of it into the body)
Do you call this advanced surgery?

The fact is that Ottoman empire had a complete stagnation since 16century, both in military and political practices. It was a really powerful(in medieval standards) empire during the age of discoveries , enlightenment and industrial era... 

Edited by Athanasios - 17-Sep-2007 at 14:38

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 14:43
Well in terms of power we need to know:

Quantity:

1. Population
2. Territorial size
3. Army and navy size
4. Size of the economy and richness abalaivle for the state-king.

Cuality:

1. Level of state's efficiency
2. Quality of armed forces
3. Development level of economy
4. Capacity of projecting power

Well, so many things and of course for concrete dates, a comparation for the hole XVI century can be very different than for only few years, the post say Charles V vs Suleyman:

Charles reign: 1516-1556
Suleyman: 1520-1566

So we can use different dates but i think that the perfect one is the date of the Charles's abdication: 1556 or near years.

Edited by Ikki - 17-Sep-2007 at 14:57
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 14:44
We are all accepting that there is a decline in ottoman power after the 17 th century.

Athanasios, ottomans werent angels but not demons like you say.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 15:24

and that shows how.... nevermind otherwise i'll get a warning message to actually compliments that I have write down to you.

I get the impression of yours and some of your fella's posts that they say "hey kids, common look Turks try to glorify themselfs against the west -lets have a laugh and fun out there"

If this was so simple, you would say again "mamma il turchi"... that's one thing you probably will know.

When the man who's your avatar is right now, was doing his projects under cellars of churche's in deep secrets, in fear of getting found and killed by the monks because he was gay, when he and his works was ignored by the west, he and his works where allready heard and respected in the Ottoman empire.

Also he got an invitation of Ottoman sultan beyazid to come to Istanbul. oh before i forget, one of his projects was building a bridge to Istanbul...

now under this you can write your
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 17:16
Originally posted by DayI

and that shows how.... nevermind otherwise i'll get a warning message to actually compliments that I have write down to you.

I get the impression of yours and some of your fella's posts that they say "hey kids, common look Turks try to glorify themselfs against the west -lets have a laugh and fun out there"

If this was so simple, you would say again "mamma il turchi"... that's one thing you probably will know.

Learn from yuor fellow Hidden Face to take it with humor as it was intended to Smile

Originally posted by DayI

When the man who's your avatar is right now, was doing his projects under cellars of churche's in deep secrets, in fear of getting found and killed by the monks because he was gay, when he and his works was ignored by the west, he and his works where allready heard and respected in the Ottoman empire.

Also he got an invitation of Ottoman sultan beyazid to come to Istanbul. oh before i forget, one of his projects was building a bridge to Istanbul...

now under this you can write your

Sorry but you are wrong. The "man in my avatar" was recognized as a genius by his countrymen and nobody tried to kill him for his supposed "gayness" and about the bridge in Constantinople you are wrong too, he never got an invitation but he first  wrote to the Sultan in order to offer his services as a military engineer. AFAIK the Sultan never answered.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 20:27
Originally posted by pinguin

Just compare the size of the Spanish Empire (in red) with the Ottoman. We are talking about different things. Suleiman was building an empire in microscopic Europe. Charles V was building a global empire.

There is no comparison possible.

Charles V did not build an empire, he inherited it as individual head of all the different kingdoms, and principalities he was head of state off. Suleiman added substantially to his inheritance, and was in charge of a unified Empire, something Charles was not off, as can be seen under his successors who had to divert funds from one realm to spend on another, and were curbed severely in some instances by the aristocracies of each individual kingdom. In the respect of land, and titles it is clear that Charles V had the bigger, and in terms of gold and silver bullion the richer Empire of the two. In terms of acquisitions it was Suleiman, and as well in terms of a cohesive state it was Suleiman as he had one Empire, instead of an amalgam of hereditary kingdoms and principalities.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 20:49

Charles V helped to build the Spanish Empire. The conquestadors reported directly to him. Just a single country like Mexico had more territory than most Ottoman conquests on Europe.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 21:04
Originally posted by pinguin

Charles V helped to build the Spanish Empire. The conquestadors reported directly to him. Just a single country like Mexico had more territory than most Ottoman conquests on Europe.

Territory yes, however Charles inherited his possessions as well, he helped to organize as much as possible that is true as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>