Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Humanity's greatest invention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Humanity's greatest invention
    Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 17:12
Originally posted by IamJoseph

There is an indication all discoveries are critically alligned to their space-time and requirement, and that not a single discovery came before it's time. They appear to just pop into someone's minds, and its eureka! It appears its not voluntary and we cannot stop it from happening, and many times these occur by accident. Its like rainfall. Perhaps someone is preparing humanity for a future which will require a certain vocabulary.

Oh, interesting.  It couldn't be that these discoveries occurred out of a carefully directed scientific progression?  Or that they are the result of years of experimentation, study and preparation by the discoverers.  What your proposing sounds like a version of the old "infinite number of monkeys and typewriters" idea.  Trust me, it didn't happen like that.

There are perhaps instances of "happy accidents" that can occur during a scientific investigation.  However to say that things such as radio, nuclear fission etc.  just happen by accident or "rainfall"  is to seriously disrespect the people who devoted their lives and fortunes to discovering and perfecting them.

Perhaps someone is preparing humanity for a future which will require a certain vocabulary.

Perhaps, better double up on the thickness of the Tinfoil Hats, just in case.Big%20smile

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 15:31
Originally posted by IamJoseph

There is an indication all discoveries are critically alligned to their space-time and requirement, and that not a single discovery came before it's time. They appear to just pop into someone's minds, and its eureka! It appears its not voluntary and we cannot stop it from happening, and many times these occur by accident. Its like rainfall. Perhaps someone is preparing humanity for a future which will require a certain vocabulary.

Yeah the aliens are watching us
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 08:29
Moses - the First Zionist.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 03:19
I believe the compass is one of those things that's been with man from very early on.  Discovered I think rather than invented.    That leaves gunpowder and Archimedes Screw.  Without either, our world would be quite different. 

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 00:27
other than the obvious:

electricity
internet
direct debit
tampons

electricity  being  the greatest.
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 03:01
  I'd have to agree with Francis Bacon when he states the compass, gunpowder and the printing press

These are effects of speech, because they would not occur w/o it. Compass and gunpowder are extensions of knowing where you live and discovering fire burns. Humans became the most superior life form because they acquired the most powerful weapon in the universe: speech.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2008 at 19:00
One of my friends says "Fleshlight". I have no idea what the f. it is.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2008 at 10:08

If we are speaking of physical rather than abstract things, I'd have to agree with Francis Bacon when he states the compass, gunpowder and the printing press. However, navigators need almanacs and maps, and powder-mixers and gunsmiths need treatises on their art. Therefore, I'd probably have to say that in physical objects, the printing press...and certainly the microchip!

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 07-Oct-2008 at 10:09
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2008 at 03:11
Good choice. The first alphabetical 'books' is the OT. Book being a continueing, multi-page narrative. The OT also came with numerals inclusive in its alphabeticals, and able to perform cencus counts in the millions, with gender and age sub-totals.
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2008 at 03:07
I would have nominated 'speech' as the greatest invention, and one being unique to one life form, and what is blatantly the most powerful tool in the known universe. Metals are a derivitive of speech.

However, I don't see speech as an invention [it did not appear from grunts and coo's]. Speech appears an inherent trait in one only life form, and it seems to have emerged suddenly and in an already advanced form.

I would nominate the idea of Monotheism and Creationism as humanity's greatest thought. This seems very basic and we take it for granted - but in its space-time, it was the single most strange thought of all, and resulted in serial wars and variant belief systems. Today, some 4000 years since Abraham, we still have no alternative to Monotheism and Creationism, despite our best state of art sciences. This factor is greater than Newton's laws of Einstein's MC2 - in fact these derived from the premise of Monotheism.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2008 at 17:28
The shopping mall around the next block...and the overdraft...

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2008 at 12:21
Originally posted by red clay

Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by Sun Tzu

ehh tough question, umm fire? not sure if it was invented or just happened.

If invented, it wasn't by Homo Sapiens Sapiens but probably Homo Erectus, Neardhentals or who knows...

What is known is that Barbecue was invented the same day. Big%20smile
Texas or California-styleThumbs%20Down maybe, but not Carolina style Thumbs%20Up.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2008 at 00:18
For me, humanity greatest invention is the alphabet. I got to that conviction after reading a book called "The alphabet effect", that explained how modern society is the result of the impact of that invention in the world.
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2008 at 22:25

Agriculture

Combustion Engine

Gunpowder-- Though maybe not. More just a military revolution.

My best guess.

Edited by nova roma - 06-Sep-2008 at 22:27
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 14:50
3)  The dog, Man's best friend

Just for my affinity towards Dogs Wink
Einstein said, "God does not play dice." He was right. God plays Scrabble. - Philip Gold
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 02:11
1)  Lithic tools
2) Fire
3)  The dog, Man's best friend
4)  Fermentation
5)  Agriculture (could be viewed as man's worst invention as well)

Edited by Goban - 06-Feb-2008 at 14:24
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 01:48
Agriculture was humanity's greatest invention. It allowed people to settle in one area for longer periods of time and it ended the hunting-gathering way of life.
What is the officer problem?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 22:02

Originally posted by Sun Tzu

ehh tough question, umm fire? not sure if it was invented or just happened.

If invented, it wasn't by Homo Sapiens Sapiens but probably Homo Erectus, Neardhentals or who knows...

What is known is that Barbecue was invented the same day. Big%20smile

Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 21:44

I only know what I have found in privy sites over the years, and also anectdotal reports from my rural relatives when I was a kid.  People must have been made of tougher stuff back then.Big%20smile

Perhaps hemorroids were more common back then LOL

Considering the consistancy of dried corncob maybe they didn't have that problem.Pinch

Actually there was a recipe for preparing cobs for use in the little shack out back.  They soaked them in a solution of ash and other substances.  This made them swell and upon drying were quite fluffy.  They also separated them into 2 groups, reddish brown and light cream colored.  The idea being you first used a brown one and then a cream colored one to see if you needed another brown one.    Source-  Foxfire Publications.

Edited by red clay - 05-Feb-2008 at 22:11
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 16:26

I only know what I have found in privy sites over the years, and also anectdotal reports from my rural relatives when I was a kid.  People must have been made of tougher stuff back then.Big%20smile

Perhaps hemorroids were more common back then LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>