Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Russia�s strategic objectives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Russia�s strategic objectives
    Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 18:56
I think Russia's strategic objectives are as follows
    -Build up enough modern combat power to serve as a "credible deterant" against aggression.  This will prevent Russia from being pressured by a Western threat of a massive and unstoppable strike. 

- Be able to advance Russian interests in the world .  Russia was terribley embarassed when they were powerless to assist Serbia in Kosovo.  Russian planners then said "never again".  The Russians dont have to be able to beat the West,  just make it think twice... or even three times before harming Russian interests.    China has the same strategy.
South View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote South Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2007 at 15:34
Hi Chwyatt,

Is it possible the flights are being used to claim sovereignty over the contested polar areas said to contain oil/gas?

I think so.
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2007 at 08:08
A rocket-carrying Tu-95MS or Tu-160, constantly patroling near the borders of a potential opponent is a relatively cheap mean to avoid the proposed US anti-missile defence system. X-55 cruise-missiles (200Kt nuclear warhead, 2000-3000 km range, 6 carried by Tu-95 or 24 by Tu-160) are a good reason to think twice before any hostile activities. This kind of patrols were regular before the collapse of the Warsaw pact. The naval reconnaisance/anti-submarine version of the Tu-95, Tu-142 barely could be any thread and I don't think that they were involved.
And I don't think the "Cold war" ended in 1980's, it's just the propaganda used against the opponents that has changed.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2007 at 05:46
What do you think Russia is trying to say with these, now regular, flights of Bear bomber/surveillance aircraft towards UK, Norwegian and Alaskan airspace?

I have heard the phrase to be respected as a great power, but what does that actually mean?

Could this be an attempt to decouple western Europe from the US via intimidation?

A reaction to a view in Moscow that the US ignores Russian opinion and is flexing muscles accordingly?

Could it be related to Litvinenko? Flexing muscles to silence criticism?

Could it even be that Russia wants to replace the US as the worlds hyperpower?

Or just playing to an audience in Russia that wants to see muscle flexing? Just a PR exercise

And do you think this will all just blow over, or that we are verging on a new cold war?
 Post Reply Post Reply