Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AK or M-models?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: AK-models or M-models?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [68.75%]
5 [31.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AK or M-models?
    Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 13:45

I know AK-47 is old and inaccurate, but I heard that Russian factories are rolling out the modern version of AK assault rifles that are good. Which model is better and why?

Latest M-model is M16A4 and latest AK model is AK-101.

Edited by pekau - 05-Sep-2007 at 13:47

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 13:56
Nevermind this poll. I found the answer...

Join us.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 14:22

Are you really serious, there is no comparison between the two, he in S. Arabia, where all weapons almost exclusivly come from the US, police ditched all their stock of M-16's and switched to AK-47 and AK-74.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 14:54
Al Jassas, an M-16 is a rifle, an AK-47 is a carbine. You can't hit a barn at 150 yards with an AK, you can easily drop a man at 150 yards with one.
Carbine is better for the police.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 08:15
Quite frankly M models are Censored

They jam way to easily and always needing to be cleaned.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 10:10
Sparten, AK47 is not a carbine (I think it has a barrel more than 40cm long) and I'm pretty sure it can kill a man to distances up to 300 meters at least. Certainly not the most accurate, but always a rifle.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2007 at 17:26
Originally posted by Balaam

According to my source, the main reason why M models jammed so much in Vietnam is because the rifle required cleaning... and the American soliders didn't have any cleaning kit. Worse, most of them didn't even know about cleaning.

After some improvement, M models don't jam that much as we believe. M models are frankly used in harsh environment these days.

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2007 at 17:38
Originally posted by xristar

Sparten, AK47 is not a carbine (I think it has a barrel more than 40cm long) and I'm pretty sure it can kill a man to distances up to 300 meters at least. Certainly not the most accurate, but always a rifle.

AK-47 was designed for harsh environment battlefields like in Soviet Union. As many of us would know, battlefronts shared between USSR and Nazi Germany are quite different from other battle grounds. Most of the conflicts occured in fairly close range. Most frequent distance between two armies were roughly about 250 - 300 meters, which makes AK even more amazing since AK -47's range is about 300 meters. At this close range, firepower rather than accuracy determined the winner. Plus Soviet troops in general were not experienced... and AK-47 is quite simple to use.

After some time of surfing, I really think AK are lot cleverly made (Not necessarily better) compared to M models. Some said that they cannot be compared because they are designed for different war situation, and it makes sense. M model has advantage of better accuracy and longer range. But the range difference between AK-47 and M16 is only by 100 meters, give or take.

Join us.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2007 at 21:25
Originally posted by pekau

Originally posted by Balaam

According to my source, the main reason why M models jammed so much in Vietnam is because the rifle required cleaning... and the American soliders didn't have any cleaning kit. Worse, most of them didn't even know about cleaning.

After some improvement, M models don't jam that much as we believe. M models are frankly used in harsh environment these days.

Oh they do still jam a fair bit and do need constant cleaning. The M-models are only ok in an area where it is super clean with no dirt pretty much and even then you still need to clean them constantly. Have a read of this page, it gives a good view on the problems with the M-models.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 14:47
The M-16 certainly has better range than the AK47, I totally agree.

The M-16 and M-4 (short M-16) are not actually reliable to this day, despite all their improvements.
I recall, in the rifle competition of the greek army a couple of years ago or so, the three finalist rifles (M-16, G-36 and a FN modern gun-don't remember the exact name) were extesively tested, firing many thousand rounds, in muddy environment etc.
The -winner- G36 had zero jammings and zero material failings (it didn't break).
The FN rifle had something like 4 jammings and 4 breakings.
The M-16 had like 4 breakings and 26 jammings!

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 17:09

I think that the Israeli Galil Assault Rifle tries to combine the best characteristics of both weapons. (M-16's cartridge and accuracy,  Ak-47's mechanical reliability). 

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 05:54

IMI Galil assault rifle (Israel)

Galil ARM 5.56mm. The only differences from the Galil AR are the folding bipod and carrying handle

same rifle, with bipods unfolded. Insert shows the left-side fire selector / safety switch with Hebrew markings.

Galil AR 7.62mm. Note the longer barrel and deeper magazine

Galil SAR 5.56mm with shorter barrel (with older type brownish color wooden forearm)

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply