Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inuit Iron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inuit Iron
    Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 08:42
Inuits are a people that conquered the artic lands from Alaska to Greenland. Experts say they came recently to the Americas, perhaps 2 thousand years ago only, so they carried a culture that is different from their southern Native Americans neighbours.

One of the curious things on the Inuits is that they carry some exceptional elements in its culture unknown for the rest of the Americas. For instance, they knew the arch in the building of theirs iglus, they knew the rotating drill, the harpoon and the iron.

This is the evidence of iron manufacturing between the Inuits.

In 1918, an early Arctic explorer was astounded to find some Inuit people using knife blades, harpoon points and engraving tools made from meteoric iron, as it was assumed that northern peoples had no access to metal. In fact they had been making tools from nickel and iron for centuries. Their source was a large meteorite that landed on an island off of northern Greenland about 10,000 years ago.

Various expeditions searched for the source of the metals, but it was not found until 1894 that Robert E. Peary was led to the site called "Iron Mountain" on an island off of northern Greenland. The Inuit called the three huge chunks of meteorite there the Tent or "Ahnighito," the Woman and the Dog.

Peary spent the next three summers hauling the meteorites to the coast where they could be loaded on ships; even building a railway to cover part of the distance. Once in New York, the meteorites eventually were sold to the American Museum of Natural History. Ahnighito, which weighs 34 tons, remains the largest meteor on display in the world.

-----------------

Indigenous peoples often prized iron-nickel meteorites as an easy, if limited, source of iron metal. For example, the Inuit used chips of the Cape York meteorite to form cutting edges for tools and spear tips.

---------------

Cape York meteorite

The Cape York meteorite, which collided with Earth nearly 10,000 years ago, is named for Cape York, the location of its discovery in Greenland, and is one of the largest iron meteorites in the world. It was primarily made up of iron and nickel metals and weighs approximately 30.875 t, and was one of several other masses in its fall. The masses were known to the Inuit as Ahnighito (the Tent), weighing ~31 tons, the Woman (2 tons), and the Dog ( ton). For centuries, Inuit living near it used it as a source of metal for tools and harpoons.

The first rumors of its existence reached scientific circles in 1818. Five expeditions between 1818 and 1883 failed to find the source of the iron. It was located in 1894 by Robert Peary, the famous Arctic explorer, who had enlisted the help of a local guide who brought him to Saviksoah Island off northern Greenland's Cape York in 1894.

It took Peary three years to manage to load the pieces onto ships and required the building of Greenland's only railway.

He sold the pieces for $40,000 to the American Museum of Natural History in New York City where they still stand (2007). The 3.4 m x 2.1 m x 1.7 m Ahnighito is now on display in the Arthur Ross Hall. The mass is so heavy that it was necessary to build its stand such that its supports reached through directly to the bedrock below the museum.

In 1963, the fourth major piece of the Cape York meteorite was discovered by Vagn F. Buchwald near Agpalilik. The Agpalilik meteorite, also known as the Man, weighs around 20 tons and currently resides in the Geological Museum of the University of Copenhagen, Denmark. Other smaller pieces have also been found, such as the 3 ton Savik I meteorite in 1911, the 48 kg Thule meteorite in 1955, the 7.8 kg Savik II in 1961, and the 250 kg Tunorput fragment in 1984.

------------------------------

T. A. Rickard (1941). "The Use of Meteoric Iron". The Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland 71

In this page it is read that Aztecs and Chilean natives also had metheoritic iron!

---------------------

Recovering Cape York Meteor

-------------------------------------

Cape York Meteor for sale

----------------------

Inuit Iron blades

Whaling and Sealing Harpoons of the Labrador Inuit. 

The large harpoon on the right dates from the historic period. It is made from two large pieces of whale bone held together with iron rivets. The iron end blade was fashioned by an Inuit from a saw blade or another piece of flat metal. In the upper left is a similar end blade, although it is made from polished slate and dates from the prehistoric period. In the lower left are a sealing harpoon with an iron end blade and a slate end blade from the prehistoric period. The regular hunting of large whales with weapons such as these is one of the traits distinguishing the Inuit of Labrador, as well as their prehistoric ancestors, from the early Palaeo-Eskimo people.

Courtesy: Newfoundland Museum  

-------------

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 08:59
This comment comes from the site that promotes an Encyclopedia of Amerindian Inventions. It speak with energy against the idea that Amerindians lived in the "Stone Age". I agree with him:

Ten Lies about Indigenous Science

How to Talk Back

Kay Marie Porterfield

Fiction: American Indian people were living in Stone Age culture at the time of conquest.

Fact: Although the polar Inuit near Baffin Bay did use meteorites to make iron blades, for the most part, other American Indians did not work with iron (a prerequisite for entering the Iron Age). American Indians did begin making metal tools before Europeans did. The people of the Old Copper Culture in the Great Lakes region of North America 7,000 years ago are considered by many scientists to have been the oldest metal workers in the world. They developed annealing to strengthen the tools they made.

Pre-Columbian metal workers invented sophisticated techniques for working with other metals. Pre-contact metallurgists living in what are now Ecuador and Guatemala learned how to work with platinum, a metal that has the extremely high melting point of 3218 degrees by developing a technique called sintering. Europeans were unable to work platinum until the 19th century. Metal workers in other parts of the Americas knew how to solder, could make foil and used rivets to fasten pieces of metal together.

In areas where no metal deposits lay close to the surface, American Indians made tools of bone, wood and stone. The blades of their flint surgical instruments were so thin that the incisions they made could not be duplicated until the advent of laser surgery.

Focusing on the Iron Age while failing to mention the metallurgical abilities of many American Indian culture groups is not only ignorant scholarship it is racist scholarship

Edited by pinguin - 02-Sep-2007 at 09:00
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 13:55
It's nice to see an article like this around. It certainly makes a person think when they read it, and causing anyone to think is an admirable action.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 23:06
That's awesome! I'd never heard of this! Only... those bloody explorers went and stole the Inuit's meteorites! Angry

I have a question though- how did the Inuit work the iron into tools? Did they simply carve them the same way they did with stone? The pictures above were made post-contact out of European iron. I don't suppose you have any pictures of pre-contact iron tools?

I've seen plenty of pre-contact Inuit artifacts and the blades were all made of stone. Iron must have been a rare and valuable commodity. But still, this is awesome.
Lords of Death and Life (a Mesoamerican webcomic)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 23:18

In the picture above the following titke:

"Whaling and Sealing Harpoons of the Labrador Inuit"

there are two pieces that are from the prehistorical period. Therefore, before contact with Europeans.

How they made it? I have no much idea because I am not metalurgist. However, you can see in the picture of the meteorite on sale the meteoritic iron was ready to use. Perhaps they just need to "cook" the iron piece to some high temperature to start to work with it, but they didn't need to reach the melting point.

It would be interest to find out the method. Any methalurgist in here that could help?

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 02-Sep-2007 at 23:34
Yaomitl View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Yaomitl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 06:24
Nice link to the Porterfield page, Pinguin - I'm thinking something along the same lines should possibly be a sticky/required reading thing on this forum. I definitely need to check out her book. A lot of her points are things I've been saying for years now. Nice work!
"For as long as the world shall endure, the honour and the glory of Mexico-Tenochtitlan must never be forgotten."
- Chimalpahin Quautlehuanitzin
<a href="http://www.theotherconquest.com
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 10:15
Actually I bought the book and got in contact with Emory Dean Keoke, the other author of the enciclopedia. I congratulated him for his book which I think is perhaps the only one that put most of the information known about Amerindian science, technology and medicine in one volume. It is an amazing work that goes from all ages and from Alaska to the Land of Fire.

My only critic is that there are even more inventions and discoveries I know than the ones recorded in the book..so far... which is good. It show creativity of Amerindians have to be studied in a more intense way.

Pinguin
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 11:38
I (and other scholars) believed that inuits learned the iron making from the Norse, but not orginal invention, what is your views?
leung
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 11:47

It is possible. I don't have more evidence on that topic. As far as I know Norses and Inuits were not in very friendly terms in the Middle Ages at all. However, if you got something, please let us know.

tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 05:37
not friendly, but still had trade, moreover, even they had war, Inuits could learn the iron making through the Norse pows.
leung
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 10:07

Yes, it could had happened but it did happens?

Actually, Inuits are not the only people that has used meteoritic iron. It is just that historians and anthropologists don't consider meteoritic iron as a serious proof of people being in the so called "iron age".

Even though, large parts of the Americas were in the Broze age, anyways.

The point is, that classification between stone, bronze and iron ages don't make sense. Primitive tribes like the Zulues, for example, were in the iron age, and ancient Teotihuacan was in the stone age. It just doen't make sense.

Pinguin
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 16:38
The zulu weren't exactly "primitive", but I see what you mean. a particular material is not a very good classifier of cultural advancement.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 17:57
Yes, I agree. The Zulues are an interesting culture that I admire as well, because they defeated the British Army once. However, what I mean is that theirs technological level was not much different from other nomadic and semi-sedentary tribes around the world, that had basic cultures. When speaking of Zulues we are not talking of civilizations like Zimbabwe Tumbuctu, or Egypt (a "bronze" society) at all, but a people with a basic lifestyle, although they knew the art of making iron tools.

In comparison, Teotihuacion was a major state and civilization that influenced all the Mesoamerican region during a millenia. And it was a civilization that based its strenght in the extraction and saling of obsidiane blades! A real "flintstone" society.

So, in short, I believe the terms stone-bronze-iron doesn't have much meaning at all if we take them out of context.

Pinguin

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 18:13
too true. also, more or less the only reason they ever didn't rely on metal was that they never really needed to, and obsidian was immensely plentiful. really, the only truly major advantage a metal has over obsidian or flint is that it has perhaps more future potential.

Post Reply Post Reply