Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Your perfection will be your downfall"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Your perfection will be your downfall"
    Posted: 31-Aug-2007 at 05:16
Ok, i need some help with a quote that has troubled me a lot...

What would you think if someone out of the blue told you "Your perfection will be your downfall"?

Is ones "perfection" (as seen from anothers point of view) a lack?

Is it a virtue when kept for him/herself and a curse when shared with others?

Is it really ones problem or a reflection of the other persons problem(s)?

Your thoughts on this would be valuable for me.

Thanks!

PS: Note that perfection is relative from person to person. I'm not suggesting that the person receiving that comment believes is perfect.

Edited by Flipper - 31-Aug-2007 at 05:21

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2007 at 05:52
When perfection is achieved,  what is there left to desire? What drives you on from there?

Maybe it is perfectionism, something that leads to constant irritation, self-depreciating behaviour, stress and inability to let something go?

Maybe it refers to arrogance, where your own perception of self-perfection will ultimately lead to a downward spiral to reality..
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2007 at 06:58
The person who said that, obviously was jeolous, and lacking any flaws to point out resentfully made the quoted remark.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2007 at 11:28
Perfection is perfect. Lifes a roller coaster and if we were perfect we wouldnt get to enjoy the rideSmile
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2007 at 07:40
Heading towards perfection is like approaching to  the asymptope

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2007 at 10:55
If one strives for perfection, can one be perfect? Shocked
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 00:36
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Nope.

Join us.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 14:45
The perfect is the enemy of the good. - Voltaire.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 21:08
Perfection is like infinity-impossible for a naturally imperfect being to achieve.

If a person has achieved "perfection," then what they've actually achieved is great success-and probably great arrogance, at least if they consider themselves to have achieved perfection. Or constant overestimation if others do, and ego inflation by society. The end result is a successful, but arrogant and delusional individual, at least to a degree.

And more of humanity's mistakes and cruelties are caused by some form of arrogance then perhaps any other personality trait in history.

Therfore, what you get in a "perfect" person is a bundle of power, skill, and problem-solving capacity run by a unrealistic, self-righteous, and/or selectively moronic intelligence. not a good combination.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 03:16
Well that depends how one defines perfection. If one is talking about ultimate perfection then you're right, it is impossible. However, if one is talking about a "perfect human" then I suppose this is theoretically possible. However, what a "perfect human" is, no-one could really say. No-one really knows what a human is capable of. The third type of "perfection" is one based upon a subjective ideal. For example it is possible someone could be a "perfect buddhist" from someone who has an idea of what a buddhist should be. This could equally apply to other beliefs, like the perfect salesman, or the perfect lumberjack.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 03:53
this is true, but the very definition of "perfection" seems an impossibility. and individual idea of "prefection" is still too limited, generally, to be truly considered "perfection."
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 06:29
Originally posted by Pekau

Thumbs%20Up
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 06:51
Originally posted by pekau

or like trying to set everything over denominator zero...

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! UNDEFINED! DANGER!

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 20:01
Originally posted by TheARRGH

Originally posted by pekau

or like trying to set everything over denominator zero...

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! UNDEFINED! DANGER!
LOL

Join us.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 02:04
YES! the joke worked....

on another note. the definition of "alive" is constantly growing. therefore, a "perfect" being is an inanimate one. not even a computer, since computers routinely make mistakes.

...essentially, there is only one moment in time where everything is perfect.

Death.

At that point, everyone is equal, in power, morality, and every other respect.

There is no growth, and a person has at that point achieved everything they will ever achieve in their life.

And they have reached maximum entropy for their intelligence, and maximum entropy-the moment of such disorder that everything is perfectly ordered, of such chaos that there is only nothing-is more or less the only "perfect" thing in existence.

Edited by TheARRGH - 09-Oct-2007 at 02:04

confessor View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote confessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 18:57
Originally posted by Zaitsev

yes, they can, if they think they are perfect, thats a difference, but we should all STRIVE for perfection, i just dont believe we can ever possibly make it in this life.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 21:00
"Perfection" is based upon perception. One man's "perfect" is absurd to another. 
My Name is Eli Manning. Ponce owns my soul.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 21:25
I know I am perfect in every single way. And I havent tripped once! Not even on a crack that coulda broken my mama's back!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 21:46
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I know I am perfect in every single way. And I havent tripped once! Not even on a crack that coulda broken my mama's back!

Perfectly GAY!

Legal Disclaimer: At no point do I, or have I intended to be derogatory towards either Ponce De Leon, or the broader homsexual community. I respect their values, and if Ponce does happen to swing that way, power to him.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 23:06
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

"Perfection" is based upon perception. One man's "perfect" is absurd to another. 

Well said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>