Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are Albanians related to Greeks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Albanians related to Greeks?
    Posted: 27-Jun-2015 at 17:28
I can't comment as it's not my general area of expertise ie. linguistic identifications perse. Or Genetics or anthro cultural diffusion etc.

And while no doubt a notable ruler and major famed military commander; and major pain in the Roman and Carthaginian arse..he was not the first of his line hence I cant qualify him as the founder of either the Molossian or Epirus or Macedon dynasties.

And I would presume that an appellation as such; would be either reserved for ...or and more probably because of his military fame. And that certainly might be plausible.

Like him or not he was a remarkable and gifted soldier.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 27-Jun-2015 at 17:30
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2015 at 23:06
Albanian language belongs to Roman group of languages.Only other Roman language on Balkans is
Valachian=Aromani as they officialy call themselves in official news on TV.Albania&Macedonia& Greece&... share this population.Personally they remind me on "Assirians" more even if they are a lot of mixture with native population.Wink
Pyrros the Eagle View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pyrros the Eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2015 at 05:30
What about Romania? It's funny how you compare vlach people with Assirians.  I can give you few groups of ancient balkan population that might be in some way related to them, illyrian, thracian or facial. Another story I have heard as a child from my grandfather was that during Roman Empire veteran soldiers were settled down in balkan and mixed with local people. In a way might hold some water, because we know that soldiers couldn't be farmers so they become shepherds and mercenaries (a lot to discuss about this ) to byzantine, ottoman and normans. Why Assirians and not Hittite? 
Scanderbeg Prince of Epirus

Pyrros the Eagle View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pyrros the Eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2015 at 05:34
Illyrian, thracian or Dacian sorry my mistake.  
Scanderbeg Prince of Epirus

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2015 at 23:27
Agree with Hittite also!SmileIllirian was religious name,like many others.Regards Pyrros the Eagle.One head or two?Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 07-Jul-2015 at 00:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678