Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your nation's high and low point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
what_is_history View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote what_is_history Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your nation's high and low point
    Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 12:22

In the study of history, it is easy to let biases enter into our thought.  We can often succumb to the dillusion that our homelands are infalliable and never do wrong.  In this post, I'm interested in hearing your opinions with regards to your own respective homelands.  What was your nation's finest hour?  What is your nation's darkest chapter?  To sum it up, what was the best and worst moment in your nation's history.

Being that I am from the United States, I believe that America's finest moment was being able to establish its independence.  The creation of the American republic was a truly noble ventue in my opinion.

The darkest chapter in American history is either the U.S. treatment and defense of slavery (for literally hundereds of years) or the mass destruction of the Native American world.

"It aint what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
-Mark Twain
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 13:09
I think my countries high and low are the very same thing.

In the Golden Age, late 15th and early 16th century, trade, modern economics, entrepeneurships and toleralnce towards others made us close to the riches and most prosperous nation on earth. This was the highlight.

The downside of it was, that much of that wealth was gained by ruthless colonialism, brutal slave-trade and agressive imperialism.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 24-Aug-2007 at 13:11

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 16:11
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

In the Golden Age, late 15th and early 16th century, trade, modern economics, entrepeneurships and toleralnce towards others made us close to the riches and most prosperous nation on earth. This was the highlight.

The downside of it was, that much of that wealth was gained by ruthless colonialism, brutal slave-trade and agressive imperialism.

Were the Netherlands independant in the 15th and early 16th century?  I thought they were ruled by the Hapsburgs (HRE then Spain) until the late 16th century.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 17:14
My nation's high point occurred more than 2000 years ago...yay. It has been kind of dark after that.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 17:32
The highest point of Iceland is the rfa-Jkull [Hvannadalshnkur] 2119 .
The lowest point you will found all around our island at the beaches.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 17:54
In my country the lowest have been certain historical killings that have marked our concience: the genocide of the Onas Amerindians (1.000 people), the killing of the workers on strike in a mine in 1907 (3.000 people, including women and children), the killing of the nazi students in 1938 (80 people) and the coup and persecution of Pinochet (3.500 deaths, 100.000 tortured, 1 million emigrants). Those are the lowest point of all.

In the possitive side my country is made of people of effort and hard working and has been progressing quite a lot. We proud of stand back after every major dissaster, like the major earthquakes that attack us regularly. We believe in democracy, equality, women rights and justice, and we try hard to build a better society for all.

The highest points? Perhaps the campain of Father Hurtado to help the poors and the ideas of Dr. Monckeberg to feed correctly all new born children in Chile. That changed my country.

Pinguin

what_is_history View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote what_is_history Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 22:59
Originally posted by pinguin

The highest points? Perhaps the campain of Father Hurtado to help the poors and the ideas of Dr. Monckeberg to feed correctly all new born children in Chile. That changed my country.

I totally agree. Padre Hurtado was an incredible man who doesn't get the kudos he deserves.  What an amazing man!  Definitly a great part of Chilean history!  Also...humitas and Alfahores!!!!  I really miss those!
"It aint what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
-Mark Twain
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 23:37
For Australia I don't think you can really say we have had massive peaks or dismal periods of defeat. We have little peaks and little troughs here and there, but nothing too dramatic. So I will highlight a few of these peaks and troughs to give a general picture of how things have gone since the colonies federated to become a country in 1901.

1901 - Peak - 6 colonies reach a mutually beneficial agreement after decades of drawn out negotiation and wrangling over the finer points of how the new nation will work. A new country is established peacefully, with good precedents set for how the democratic process will be carried out. Over the next decade the democracy runs quite smoothly, and Australia becomes one of the first nations to grant universal sufferage for all adult women.

1930s - Trough - The Great Depression hits, so this period of pessimism and poverty is by no means a uniquely Australian experience. In Queensland 10,000 miners are locked out of their workplace, and in the riot that follows many are injured and one is killed. Overall just a difficult time to be alive.

1942-1965 - Peak - The nation is put to the test in war and proves remarkably resourceful against Japan. In the post-war boom Australia enjoys friendly ties with its newfound ally, the USA. The post-war economic boom sees unemployment drop to below 1%. Economic prosperity, domestic peace, successful foreign relations, technological innovation and enviable geography and resources; all lead to Australia dubbing itself "the lucky country". Australia's longest running Prime Minister - Robert Menzies - founds the Liberal Party and lasts as Prime Minister for an astonishing 16 years.

1975 - Trough - This fateful year saw the country the most divided and restless in its history. Economic stagnation, raging unemployment, the conclusion of the unsuccessful Vietnam War, sitting idly by while Indonesia invades our wartime ally East Timor. And finally, to cap it all off, the worst crisis in domestic politics the nation ever experienced - the 1975 Constitutional Crisis - where our Governor General fired our Prime Minister on very dubious grounds. This incident more than any other turned members of families against one another. 1975 stands out as an especially bad year for the nation, where simply everything went wrong.

Mid 80s to present day - Largely continuous peak (ignoring the recession of the late 80s-early 90s). Wise economic reforms in the 1980s see a transformation of the Australian economy which eventually results in an extended boom. The nation increases military spending, and with it takes a more pro-active role in the affairs of the region. Military interventions throughout the South Pacific, the creation of an indepedent East Timor, and involvement in other theatres result. John Howard, the incumbent Prime Minister, becomes the second longest governing in the nation's history. Overall domestic peace, good foreign relations and the development of a high performance economy.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 06:02
Im live in Brazil so we dont have many ancients high peaks and falls...most of ours greatest mistakes are recent...

I will list some of the mistakes:
1-slavery for so long time
2- When Fernando Collor freezed the accounts of millions of brazilians.
3-When we have our litle civil war in 1932
4-All the massacres, atrocities, accidents, corruption and crimes that make most of our recent history.

We dont have many times that we acted as one as people (Put collor out of power was the one that I remenber ), but when we do most of time we get what we want.

We Brazilians are a great nation but we have a terrible habit of not caring that much about the future , just about the present.Our liders usually didnt did a great job either... Lilte by litle however things are changing and soon we will be able to show the world what we truly  can be^^

I least I hope so^^
C
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 07:48
Persia (Iran)

Peaks
1. Creation of Persian empire by Cyrus the Great (around 500BC) our country was a superpower with federal government.
2. Sasanid empire in time of Anushirvan, country was rich and powerful and our king was a wise and tolerant man.
3. Samanid kingdom (after Islam) we had a lot of peoms, craftmen, engineers, scientists and good Vazirs
4. Zand Dynasty, we had good kings and peaceful country.
5. Pahlavi Dynasty, our nation was modern and rich.

Downfalls

1. Alexander's attack: Achaemenid empire declined and our country ravaged. (around 300BC)

2. Arabs' attack: Sassanid empire declined, people were sick of Zoroastrian priests power, my country was ravaged brutally and our countrymen has been taken to slavery, our libraries were burnt and our wealth was taken. our glory shaded away. 7th Century.

3. Mongolian Disaster: Millions of my countrymen has been slaughtered and thousands has been taken to slavery, our towns were wiped out of the earth and a desert left behind. Centuries passed until our country recovered from Mongolian disaster.13th Century.

4. Qajar Dynasty: county was one of the poorest and backward countries in the region. Bankrupt from two major war with Russian empire and corrupted by bad authorities who where puppet of Britons or Russians and traditional muslim clerics.  a lot of  forests, mines, natural resources suck as oil, fish trade, rivers and roads, banks, hotels, industries, custom were in hands of British or Russian government or companies. nation was poor and uneducated.

5. Islamic Republic:
Prevention of personal freedom
Terrorist Support
Theocrasy
Tyranny
Persecution of minority and political opponents.
Poverty and unemployment and so on.

Edited by Suren - 25-Aug-2007 at 08:09
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 14:20
Originally posted by Patch

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Were the Netherlands independant in the 15th and early 16th century?  I thought they were ruled by the Hapsburgs (HRE then Spain) until the late 16th century.

Oh lords, when will I learn to think before I post. Do you ever have the problem that a year starting with 16** is not the 16th, but the 17th century... I've got that all the effing time. And I do emberass myself on a daily basis with it.

Yes, you are correct, thank you for paying attention. Embarrassed

For background, wiki is still very useful, so here:

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 14:23
Pakistan

'65 War, the nation stood up and defeated an enemy 7 times its size.

'71 war, loss of our Eastern Wing. It was inevitable, but still painful.

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 14:46
Mine had lot's of ups in the past. Heaps of downs as well.

As for my adoptive country, not being lazy or anything, but pls refer to Conz's post...
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 14:55
The highest fro Azerbaijan Republic:

1918 - The first democratic republic in Asian continent - Azerbaijan National Democratic Republic's creation

The lowest:

Fall of Elchibay and the throne of Aliyevs - ccorruptian and avtoritarism.
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 16:00
I was under the impression that Heydar Aliev rather saved your country Kerimoglu...Elchibay was nothing but a dreamer. Shame he died and left all the power to his idiotic son.

Edited by mamikon - 25-Aug-2007 at 16:01
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 16:39
Originally posted by what_is_history

Originally posted by pinguin

I totally agree. Padre Hurtado was an incredible man who doesn't get the kudos he deserves.  What an amazing man!  Definitly a great part of Chilean history!  Also...humitas and Alfahores!!!!  I really miss those!

So you know about Saint Alberto Hurtado (He was declared saint by the catholic church because of his outstanding work). That's great.
This is his famous green truck where he collected goods and food for the poor.

Have you heared about Monckeberg idea of the impact of lack of food in the development of the brain? That's key as well to understand how to make productive citizens of people suffering centuries of illnesses, alcoholism and bad nutrition.

Humitas are great Amerindian food.... Alfajores I am afraid are not Chileans, they are Argentineans LOL

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 16:41
Originally posted by Claudio

Im live in Brazil so we dont have many ancients high peaks and falls...most of ours greatest mistakes are recent...

I will list some of the mistakes:
1-slavery for so long time
2- When Fernando Collor freezed the accounts of millions of brazilians.
3-When we have our litle civil war in 1932
4-All the massacres, atrocities, accidents, corruption and crimes that make most of our recent history.

You just forgot the abusses and genocide of Amerindians. Up to recent times, Amerindians were shot from helicopters in Brazil. A shame.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 17:14

Hum..pinguin...

I didnt know about that piece of information, the only incident that I remenber is the dead of a Amerindian in one of our cities(he was burned alive when sleeping in a street...shameDisapprove) , somehow I want to believe that this was a isolated case but ....well....

The best defense I can make is that Brazil is actually ruled by lots of corrupts and criminal people and that actually money is worth more than lives....but we are changing ...slowly but clearly...

C  
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 11:43
It's hard for me to think what the high and low points are in Canadian history..

Low--  -Genocide, or Divide and conquer of native peoples who live here--or when the native nations would side wholeheartedly with a colonial power, they would turn around and betray them whenever they were no longer needed
-The annexation of Manitoba in what is now Western Canada, when our first Prime Minister contrived a war and campaign of persecution against the peaceful Mtis people, to revive his sagging political fortunes.  Even in the 1960s there were cases of disposessed Mtis children starving to death on reservations, so you can see that the past never really disappears.
-Fighting in colonial wars like the Boer War, and WWI etc and being slaughtered in great numbers for the glory/advancement of the British Empire.  I think it's shameful that even today Canadian schoolchildren are taught that it was glorious for us to have helped exterminate the Afrikaners in south africa, or use poison gas against German soldiers in WWI--we are told that our soldiers were the most loyal and brave of all, surprising allies and foes alike with their fighting spirit. 
-Racial exclusion laws, the Chinese Head Tax, internment of Japanese Canadians during WWII,etc.
-Acting as a "good cop' to the US's "bad cop" at the UN, in Latin America,etc.  Canadian companies dealing in weapons, canadian mining companies being among the worst offenders in poor countries,etc.

High Points:
-Achieving a fairly stable multilingual country and ,since the 70s, allowing people into the country pretty much without any racial discrimination. (only economic and skills-based). 
-Doing some good work with the UN and other international institutions

Perun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Perun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 15:25
My home country  Bosnia and Herzegovina just recently (1990's) got independent. But as a part of Yugoslavia, Austro-Hungary, Ottoma Empire and as independent medieval Bosnian kingdom it had its high and low points.
In my opinion the highest one was creation of Non-Aligned Movement in 1950's. Tito was one of the five leaders that proposed the foundation of such organization that would ensure "the national independence, sovereignty, territorial integrity and security of non-aligned countries" in their "struggle against imperialism, colonialism, neo-colonialism, racism, Zionism, and all forms of foreign aggression, occupation, domination, interference or hegemony as well as against great power and bloc politics". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Aligned_Movement)
The lowest was 1992.-1995. war that followed destruction of Yugoslavia. Serbian agression combined with civil war totally destroyed once famous "Brotherhood and Unity" principle of Yugoslav state, living ruined and divided country.
Gromovnik
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>