Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polish army in 1794

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polish army in 1794
    Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 16:50

I found information on the infantry regiments before the 3. Division fo Poland, including regimental names, but I'm lacking info on the names of the cavalry regiments... can somebody tell me?

here are the infantry regiments:

no 1. Stanislas Potocki
no 2. Ozarowski
no 3. Wodzicki
no 4. Grossfeldherr
no 5. Unterfeldherr
no 6. Fsiliers
no 7. Lanowy
no 8. Czapski
no 9. Racryski
no 10. Dziasynski
no 11. Ilinski
no 12. Malezweski
no 13. Ordination Ostro
no 14. Knigin Hedwig

also, which of those regiemtns were Grenadiers, Musketeers, Fusiliers etc?

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 07:50

Temujin, your list seems to be from 1792 and include only Crown regiments (not Lithuanian regiments) also numeration is a little incorrect..

List of regimenst form the March  1794 (just before Kociuszko Uprising

no, name of regiment,     chief of regiment , number of soldiers

Foot Guard of the Crown     1397

1.        Queen Jadwige, Antoni Puawski                  1283

2.        Royal Prince, Wodzicki                            1349

3.        Infantry,  Czapski                  1355

4.        Great Crown Baton, Piotr Oarowski                       958

5.        Fussiliers                              1261

6.        Lanowy Stanisaw Oarowski               734

7.        Infatry, Miczyski (former Potocki)           803

9.   Infantry, Raczyski                              1130

10.  Rydzynski Ordination,  Dziayski  (former 11)                            981

13. Ogstroski Ordination        1293

This list not include the 8 Lituanian regiments (1 Foot Guard + 7 field )

Please note that in 1793 many units of polish army (for exmaple infantry regiments 8, 10, 12, 14)  has been dissolved or annexed by the Russians. During Kociuszko Uprising the additional 7 regiments have been formed together with many separate batalions and irregular units.

I have no excat data regarding cavalry units from 1794 however this is what I have found:

(NCB =National Cavalry Brigade):

I Lithuanian NCB Sulistrowski

II Lithuanin NBC ?

III Lithuanian NCB Kossakowski

I Greatpoland NCB Madaliski

I LesserpolandNCB Hadziewicz

II Lesserpoland NCB Walewski

Lithuanin Horse Guard Regiment  Stryjeski

Crown Horse Guard Regiment Dionizy Poniatowski

2th Lithuanian Avangarde Regiment Kadubski

3th Lithuanian Avangarde Regiment Mustafa Baranowski

4th Crown Avangarde Regiment Zborowski

5th Lithuanian Avangarde Regiment Liszewski

4th Regiment of Light Cavalry Prince Wurtemberg

5th Regiment of Light Cavalry Gorzeski

>>

Edited by TJK
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 16:12
Originally posted by TJK

Temujin, your list seems to be from 1792 and include only Crown regiments (not Lithuanian regiments) also numeration is a little incorrect..

yes, it's the army in 1792, I just assumed there were no major changes until the partition of Poland...I have the information from a book on the Napoleonic wars, it had no mention of separate Lithuanian regiments at all, neither any guard units...

I have no excat data regarding cavalry units from 1794 however this is what I have found

thanks. the book only gave 2 names of Regiments (Knig and Nationalgarde) and only uniformdetails for one cavalry arm, so I must assume all cavalry were Ulans?

4th Regiment of Light Cavalry Prince Wurtemberg

oh, now that of course caught my attention, so there was a Wrttemberg prince colonel of a Polish cavalry regiment? very interesting...

the book is pretty sparce on pre-1794 Polish units (and apparently some information is wrong) but it is more extensive on the Grand-Duchy of Warsaw army, even including the units raised in 1812 from the newly created Grand-Duchy of Lithuania.

btw, what's Grossfeldherr and Unterfeldherr in Polish? soemthign like Hetman etc? or are the names wrong aynways?

Edited by Temujin
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 11:08

thanks. the book only gave 2 names of Regiments (Knig and Nationalgarde) and only uniformdetails for one cavalry arm, so I must assume all cavalry were Ulans?

No, this is quite complicated but i will try to clear this a little. In the 2nd half of XVIII century polish cavalry was reformed. Former winged hussars and armoured cavalry banners were transformed into National Cavalry Brigades. Every towarzysz (noble) were equipped with short lances when pocztowi (ordinary soldiers) were equipped with cabrines. Light cavalry banners were tranformed into Avangarde Regiments armed in the same way as National Cavalry. Parallely ulhans regiments were formed from tatars when all soldiers were equipped with lances.

Detail list of polish cavalry units you can find at:

Crown cavalry units 

http://www.kawaleria.pulsar.net.pl/modules.php?name=Content& amp;pa=showpage&pid=72

Lithuanian cavalry units:

http://www.kawaleria.pulsar.net.pl/modules.php?name=Content& amp;pa=showpage&pid=73

oh, now that of course caught my attention, so there was a Wrttemberg prince colonel of a Polish cavalry regiment? very interesting

He was even the general commander of Lithuanian Army during war with Russia 1792, however he betrayed  

what's Grossfeldherr and Unterfeldherr in Polish? soemthign like Hetman etc? or are the names wrong aynways?

Grossfeldher - Great Crown Hetman Baton (Buawa Wielka Koronna)

Unterfeldherr - Field Crown Hetman baton (Buawa Polna Koronna) 

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 14:54

k, thanks for information...seems the Poles had quite a special cavalry organisation...

He was even the general commander of Lithuanian Army during war with Russia 1792, however he betrayed  

well, apparently he either thought it was a lost cause and/or thought it would be better for his career to take sides with his relatives...do you have more information on him? or at least full name and/or dates of birth/death?

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 05:01

I don't know many about him just few info :

Ludwig Frederick Alexander, Duke-of Wurttemberg (1756-1817) , close cousin of Hohnzollerns, prussian general, married with Maria Anna Czartoryska (great polish magnate family)

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 15:26

Ok, I found out more information:

his father was Duke Frederick Eugen who was married to a Prussian princess, he himself was brought up at the Prussian court to pull Wrttemberg out of Austrian influence (as were his brothers that had preceeded him as rulers) and later became general under Frederick II. four of his sons became heads of newly creted branches of the house Wrrtemberg, the royal (main) line, the ducal line, Wrttemberg-Urach (which ended a few decades later without sucessor) and Wrttemberg-Teck, of which Louis became head of. the line was discontinued due to lack of male heirs as well, the title was inherited by the Windsors after George V. married Mary von Wrttemberg-Teck. he had one son with Maria Czartoryska named Adam, who was the divisional commander of the Wrttemberg line cavalry durign the Napoleonic wars.

Edited by Temujin
 Post Reply Post Reply