Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

www.ethnologue.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: www.ethnologue.com
    Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 07:49
Do you guys consider this website reliable site or not? At least their data about Iran languages is wrong. I saw the whole data and informations and it is obviously wrong about numbers. I want to know if you have the same problem about your country's informations.

www.ethnologue.com
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 09:27

Yes, its the standard reference. What exactly is wrong?

Pretcov View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pretcov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 12:19
It's an excellent site, though it would be much improved if they added more maps on linguistic demographics.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2007 at 15:29
Sometimes I think they use the term "language" to describe what are really regional dialects.

But then I guess the line between "dialect" and seperate language can be fuzzy.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2007 at 22:56
The site is fine. The group that controls it, the Summer Institute of Linguistics, is nasty though.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 09:04
But then I guess the line between "dialect" and seperate language can be fuzzy.

Extremely so, and politics/nationalism has just bollucksed it up further.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 10:17
A dialect is a language without an airforce.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 11:53
Yes, dialects are seen as languages as well by linguists. It is not wrong to call a dialect a language. It is the family of a language that matters. 

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 12:02
The only error i see is that the language maps can show sometimes like a language is a majority at a region. In Attica for example it looks like arvanitika is the main language Dead. I doubt there are any speakers left and if there are that's old people in Menidi in Athens. In Laurio outside Athens, where many Kurdish communities exist, Kurdish is spoken but it doesn't even mention it. 

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 12:10
They have some funny/debatable quirks. For example, of some reason the local language in my province is labelled "Christian",  and the broken, accented Swedish used by many immigrants is labelled as a language of its own.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 12:18
Add also that they label "Romani" the language of the gypsies in Sweden...It is not even close to Romani.  

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 12:39
Originally posted by Sparten

A dialect is a language without an airforce.

Well, Luxembourgish doesn't have an air force. Smile

Maybe you should change that to 'without an air force or major financial institutions'?
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 14:16
I think ethnologue is the most reliable site out of its genre but the work of linguists is a difficult one, especially the blur between accents, dialects and languages.

For example Azeri Turkish or Turki.

Azerbaijani, South

A language of Iran

ISO 639-3: azb

Population 23,500,000 in Iran (1997). Population includes 290,000 Afshar, 5,000 Aynallu, 7,500 Baharlu, 1,000 Moqaddam, 3,500 Nafar 1,000 Pishagchi, 3,000 Qajar, 2,000 Qaragozlu, 130,000 Shahsavani (1993). Population total all countries: 24,364,000.
Alternate names   Azeri, Torki

Dialects Qashqa'i may be a dialect. Part of the Qizilbash merchant group speak the Afshari dialect, which is strongly influenced by Persian. The dialect spoken in Syria is different from Kirkuk of Iraq, and may be closer to Turkish (Osmanli) than to Azerbaijani. There is a gradual transition of dialects from Turkish to Azerbaijani from central to western Turkey.

The information is detailed but starts getting confusing and complicated as it goes more in-depth.

How do they differentiate between Afshar, Aynallu etc as these arn't different dialects but different tribes and clan names.

290,000 Afshar, Afshar is one of the clans of the Oghuz Turks being part of the confederation for over a millenia. There are Afshar not only in Northern Iran but also among the Qashqai, the Turkmen region, in Turkey and Afghanistan.

Another point which I find confusing.

The language is listed as "Azerbaijani/Azeri Turkish/Turki" but its also noted that the distinction between the Turkish of Turkey is blurred and that actually it continues into Turkey and that its mutually intellegible.

In making a comparison, lets take the United Kingdom.
The Geordy English and London English are more different than Azeri Turkish and the Turkish in Eastern Turkey is from each other.

Furthermore, how do you classify dialects? languages? accents?
If a person can turn on a tv channel or meet somebody and fully communicate and understand them although having a different accent and some lexical differences, is this an accent, dialect difference?
Is dialect or language classifications based upon mutual intellegibility percentages?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 14:23
Why not use http://linguist.emich.edu/ ?

It has far more data on languages and it is accurate.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 14:48
Hey thanks for the site, I think they work with Ethnologue? as when you search for languages it gives Linguist/Ethnologue reports.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 14:01
You're welcome!
I don't know. It's possible that they exchange information. I've seen the linguist list in many wiki references about languages.

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 17:48
Thanks Bulldog for telling us about the details.

I don't know how this site found its data about Turkish speakers and Persian speakers in Iran. According to which reliable source it is claiming Azeri speakers in Iran are more than Persian speakers. Even if you put the population of major Persian speaker cities together it encompass the number that has given in this site. that is why I say i do not trust this site. Maybe they are accurate for other countries but not for Iran. Obviously, they used a biased data or follows an agenda.

They categories small communities with different accents as different languages. They separated different dialects of Persian language too.  We maybe had a lot of different dialects in different parts of Iran some centuries or decades ago, but now they have faded away slowly and official Tehrani Accent of Persian has been replaced. Most of those Accents or Dialects which  have been replaced by Tehrani Persian were intelligible with  Tehrani  Persian. Another example is what happened in Turkey, they speak Istanbuli Accent of Turkish language and it is replacing all other accents and even languages ( Laz, Kurdish,...)

Edited by Suren - 18-Jan-2008 at 18:12
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 18:23

Suren as said the difference between dialects and languages is a bit obscure, you have "dialects" which are pretty much mutually unintelligable, "langauges" which are almost totally intelligable, and accents which may be impossible to understand, especially if there is a long list of local slang.

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 18:55
Originally posted by Sparten

Suren as said the difference between dialects and languages is a bit obscure, you have "dialects" which are pretty much mutually unintelligable, "langauges" which are almost totally intelligable, and accents which may be impossible to understand, especially if there is a long list of local slang.

Personally, I have no problem with understanding different accents or dialects in Iran. I have lived in different parts of Iran and I had no problems. I could understand 99.5% of their words for different accents. I can understand Mazandarani and even luri which maybe some people have hard time to understand it totaly correct. I admit Kurdish and Baluchi is a little harder to understand so they are different languages, but not Mazandarani.

The number of Persian speakers in this site has been reduced obviously. Our last data is old, but it shows  more than  50% of Iran population are native Persians and speak Persian language. I can tell you a lot of people who were bilangual in Persian and their own native language or dialect now have switched to Persian and their children only speak Persian now. With this logic after at least two decades do you think the number of Persian speakers has reduced or has increased ?

Edited by Suren - 18-Jan-2008 at 19:24
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 20:05
24 million Azari speakers in Iran is a weird number.  For example, only 8 people million live in Azarbaijan area (Zanjan, West & East Azarbaijan and Ardabil).  And ther eis no way that there are another 16 million distributed in other cities.  Maybe 4 million in Tehran.

Iranian census don't classify ethnicity for starters, only population per region, so I have no idea where they get their information from.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>