Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is a beautiful building?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is a beautiful building?
    Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 14:30

Persians think it is a beautiful building:

Shah Cheragh Mosque in Shiraz, 12th century, Salghurid period

What do you think?

Benceno View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Benceno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 09:09
They are very nice indeed (both the shape and the materials looks).
I do not know if it is the case here, but I found that when it comes to these magnificent  buildings in Europe and America(I am more familiar with that) I remember that they were built using slave or almost slave work-force and the riches used in their construction where often the result of having huge amounts of people living in utter missery. That takes most of the beauty away.
Hola.
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 09:19
slaves in europe?After the Roman Empire?

Edited by Jorsalfar
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 11:57
Very beautiful. What's the material used in that?
Originally posted by Jorsalfar

He's wrong of course. No slaves here. Not that serfdom is much better, but far from all of Europe had anything like that.

Edited by Styrbiorn
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 12:08
yes, why do the walls glitter so, what is used on the walls? Would love to visit.. great rugs also.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 12:45

What's the material used in that?

I don't know exactly but I think inside the mosque is mirror-work.

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 13:37
Islamic art is traditionally very beautiful indeed.
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 13:40
But doesn't all that glittering take away the humbleness required to face God? The same thing with churches. Good for the sight but what about the spirit?
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Faran View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Faran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 14:42

The walls are covered with mirrors, Catt; it doesn't show up too well in the picture.

Later Islamic architecture didn't follow the same philosophy of the Kaaba, which was built simply out of humbleness; perhaps the idea is, while maintaining humility, to put the utmost effort into the creation of a house of worship?

Cyrus, I thought pictures were not allowed?

Edited by Faran
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 15:59
Originally posted by Faran

Later Islamic architecture didn't follow the same philosophy of the Kaaba, which was built simply out of humbleness;

Well, Kaaba had not been build as an Islamic structure. Pre Isalmic Meccan probably could not have afford anything more galmorous

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 07:51

Cyrus, I thought pictures were not allowed?

I don't think so, at least about this mosque, of course it is possible that on-Muslims are not permitted to enter it.

Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 10:13

Originally posted by Infidel

But doesn't all that glittering take away the humbleness required to face God? The same thing with churches. Good for the sight but what about the spirit?

Isn't the object to make the visitor humble in front of the massive cathedral/mosque? I get awestruck when I see either of them, even though I'm neither muslim nor christian.

Faran View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Faran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 13:54
Originally posted by Miller

Originally posted by Faran

Later Islamic architecture didn't follow the same philosophy of the Kaaba, which was built simply out of humbleness;

Well, Kaaba had not been build as an Islamic structure. Pre Isalmic Meccan probably could not have afford anything more galmorous

That is true, but in Islamic tradition a monothiestic Abraam built the Kaaba and his faith was later lost to the Arabians (Muslims believe Mecca s the wilderness of Paran).  That is not to say this is true, but since it concerns Muslims' beliefs and they believe it's true...

But thanks for clearing it up.  I was neglectfull in the original post.

Faran View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Faran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 13:58
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

[

of course it is possible that on-Muslims are not permitted to enter it.

Oh...ooops

Benceno View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Benceno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 11:16
Originally posted by Jorsalfar

You may call it serfdom if you want, but it wasn't very different from being a slave. Even when slavery and serfdom were abolished, poor people were used as almost slave work force (they still are today, perhaps not in Europe though).
Hola.
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 02:28
a beautiful building is what we see in Rome, Milan, Berlin, Koln, and east europe. (of course in my opinion).
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 11:24
ok, please give some samples!
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 21:58
sure 

Reichstag (Berlin):

The Dome (Koln):

Cathedral (Milan):

St. Peter's Square (Vatican):
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 09:45
Those are really great buildings but not so much beautiful!
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 14:53
they are beautiful, i mean what more do we expect from a building? I know  they may not be the greatests Cyrus but that's just my taste

Edited by ramin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>