Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How would you get a Tyrannosaurus off a s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How would you get a Tyrannosaurus off a s
    Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 16:56
Hello. I am not sure where to post this, but I am writing a dark fantasy story set in a medieval-style world, and I need some technical advice. (I have previously posted about my fantasy world in this thread. The problem I will describe here is related but different.

My problem is this: I have a race of animals called Cortios. They are theropod dinosaurs similar in appearance and size to a Tyrannosaurus. And I have a Cortio whom I need to transport across the sea. His name is Belgrim, he is 14 metres long and weighs 6 tonnes. He is used as a mount and a beast of war by the Rissitic warrior Nrkiz.

At the beginning of my story I have Belgrim on a ship. The army then goes ashore to invade an island (as described in my other thread). So I need some way to get the Cortio off the ship. I am unsure how I might do this.

Now, the overall technology is equivalent to Europe somewhere in 1000-1100 CE, but with ships a bit more advanced, perhaps 100 years more. The ship carrying him is the flagship Mother Hydra, a behemoth 40 metres long. (Ships aren't normally this big, but it's epic fantasy, remember, so I have larger-than-life heroes and marvels of technology and magic in it. Mother Hydra is one such marvel, her construction aided with magic.)

The Rissitics are not landing in a proper harbour but at a beach. And Mother Hydra is a huge ship, so there's a limit to how close to land she can go without running aground. Now, Belgrim can't climb down a ladder, obviously, and they can't just set up a huge crane to lift him off. His weight makes everything complicated. He could jump off and swim, but I am worried that a six-ton monster leaping off the ship might cause it to capsize, or at least rock dangerously.

Any suggestions? How do I get Belgrim off the ship? Thanks in advance. :)
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 17:33
moved to literary pursuits (this link could stay for a while).
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 21:51
I would suggest possibly bringing the ship in as close as possible and then transferring the beast to a shallow draft barge or raft to bring it in close to shore.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 02:35
Hmmh... I'm not sure if those things can swim, but if they can, why not make the large ship have a platform on the near water height (for easier cargo and manforce loading and unloading) that the thing could swim from?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 04:55
Do something along the lines of what Hannibal did with his elephants when crossing the Rhone. He made barges (rafts) but covered them in dirt, sticks and grass so as to make the elephants think they were on solid ground. Then he had them hauled across.
Either that, or could it swim?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 05:53
No, Alex, the problem is in getting the creature OFF the ship. 
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 06:06
*Knights
Are you able to construct a pier out from the coast/beach, where the ship can dock (while in deep water still), or would that be too time consuming?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 06:48
It's an invasion for god's sake. Time is everything!
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 07:03
Fair enough. If other ships are present, could you arrange them in a descending fashion beside each other, so Belgrim slowly gets closer to the water. From here, he can jump off the final (expendable) boat?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 07:07
How did the beast get on the boat in the first place? How it leaves will have to adhere to this as a pre-requisite.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 08:23
Ships of the era were constructed such that they rode low in the water.  It wasn't until much later, with the Galleons for example, that ships were constructed with the deck high above the waterline.  That being the case, it should be simple enough to use a shallow ramp to move the beast from the deck of the ship to a raft, as suggested.  That would be more or less how the ship would be loaded / unloaded at a dock.  The only difference here would be that the beast is being unloaded to a raft rather than a dock.  Of course you'd want calm seas before attempting such an operation.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 13:55
I believe that it was loaded to the ship in a city with docks...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 16:27
So set up a ramp that leads down to a big raft? Yeah, that sounds pretty good. From the raft he can then jump in the water and swim ashore.

Originally posted by Dolphin

How did the beast get on the boat in the first place? How it leaves will have to adhere to this as a pre-requisite.

The beast got on the ship in a proper harbour, where resources and time were plentiful. I imagine they could have a big ramp from the harbour to the deck where it could just walk over.

Thanks for the posts. :)
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 16:43
Originally posted by Spectrum

So set up a ramp that leads down to a big raft? Yeah, that sounds pretty good. From the raft he can then jump in the water and swim ashore....

Lol, well if the 'beast' in question can 'swim', couldn't it simply 'jump' off the side of the ship and swim to shore?  I was assuming it couldn't swim, hence the need for some 'method' for getting it ashore.  The idea of getting it onto the raft (via a 'ramp') was so that the raft could then be floated in closer to shore - i.e. shallower water than the big ship could enter.  Of course, at some point even the raft will 'hit bottom'.  However, at that point the 'beast' should simply be able to 'walk' the rest of the way to shore, barely getting it's feet wet in the process.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 18:18
Originally posted by deadkenny

So set up a ramp that leads down to a big raft? Yeah, that sounds pretty good. From the raft he can then jump in the water and swim ashore....
Lol, well if the 'beast' in question can 'swim', couldn't it simply 'jump' off the side of the ship and swim to shore? I was assuming it couldn't swim, hence the need for some 'method' for getting it ashore.

Actually, I mentioned this in my opening post. The Cortio can swim, but I am worried that a six-ton monster leaping off the ship might cause it to capsize.

Edited by Spectrum - 23-Aug-2007 at 18:18
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 18:46

Actually, I mentioned this in my opening post. The Cortio can swim, but I am worried that a six-ton monster leaping off the ship might cause it to capsize.

Lol, quite right.  Well obviously reading all the way to the last sentence of a longer post isn't a strong suit.  ;)  However, that does simplify matters a bit.  If the only issue is getting it off the ship, even into deep water, then it's simply a matter of weight transfer.  As the beast moves to one side of the ship, it will need to be 'counterbalanced'.  Part of the 'crew' of the ship would do quite well in this regard.  The 6 ton beast could be countered by 80 members of the crew, or so.  As the beast approaches one side of the ship, the crew would shift to the opposite side.  As the beast moves down the 'ramp' it's weight shifts off of the ship and onto the 'raft', the 'counterbalancing' members of the crew can then shift back towards the centre of the ship.  You'd want the base of the ramp places towards the centre of the raft, to 'disribute' it's weight evenly there.  Once you've got the beast onto the raft you can 'lift' the ramp and do whatever you want.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 18:47
Originally posted by deadkenny

Lol, quite right. Well obviously reading all the way to the last sentence of a longer post isn't a strong suit. ;) However, that does simplify matters a bit. If the only issue is getting it off the ship, even into deep water, then it's simply a matter of weight transfer. As the beast moves to one side of the ship, it will need to be 'counterbalanced'. Part of the 'crew' of the ship would do quite well in this regard. The 6 ton beast could be countered by 80 members of the crew, or so. As the beast approaches one side of the ship, the crew would shift to the opposite side. As the beast moves down the 'ramp' it's weight shifts off of the ship and onto the 'raft', the 'counterbalancing' members of the crew can then shift back towards the centre of the ship. You'd want the base of the ramp places towards the centre of the raft, to 'disribute' it's weight evenly there. Once you've got the beast onto the raft you can 'lift' the ramp and do whatever you want.

This is a good idea, thanks. :)
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 09:00
thats a great idea deadkenny, because it would add a very visual element to the written action, and is very plausible as it is suitably quick, simple and efficient to be emploted in quick offensive action..Sorted I think Thumbs%20Up
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2007 at 18:59
I have a new idea: I think I'll have a sea battle near the shore. The Imetrians attack the fleet to prevent them from landing, but they are defeated and the Rissitics move up to face the ground forces at the beach.

During the sea battle, Mother Hydra sails up to an Imetric ship and latches grappling hooks onto her. Then soldiers from Mother Hydra board the enemy ship. At this point, Belgrim leaps off to board. I figure that since the ships are tied together with grappling hooks, there is not much danger of capsizing. After the battle aboard the Imetric ship is won, Belgrim can just leap overboard from there and swim ashore (it's not so important if anything happens to the captured ship).
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2007 at 21:06
Have you considered chopping it up into small pieces with an axe, liquidizing it in a blender, then pouring it into several barrels and shipping in a cargo ship?
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>