Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is Heaven?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Heaven?
    Posted: 31-Aug-2007 at 21:52
It is true about what the video says. When I was younger a good friend told me I could become a god if I became a Mormon and have many wives to create spirit babies. I was younger so all I could think of was- sex, sex, sex and multiple wives from every race and ethnic group and more sex, sex, sex. Mormon Heaven sounded great and I wanted to go there. I thought I could outdo the Christian God I have been brought up with in making a world. I thought I could create a better ecologically balanced world.
I am happy my Greek Orthodox mother refused to allow the Mormon missionaries to talk to me and she warned me it was a cult.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 04:25
Originally posted by JanusRook

What is heaven?
This: Warning NSFW
It's a kind of hot a firey place, with lots of reddish guys poking
people with forks. But at least it ain't got any bloody Mormans in it.
uh.....no Paul that's hell....but the lack of Mormon's would make it seem like heaven. LOLAs to what Mormons can expect in the afterlife here is a video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0d1HbItOo

about that cartoon, i hope you dont think that that is what mormons believe. i mean, there ARE some truths in there, but the vast majority of that is abunch of crap.
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 11:18
"As man is, God once was; and as God is, man may become."

A Mormon precept, but applicable to other faiths, as in particular Buddhism, if one substitutes 'Buddha' for 'God'.

I guess the response to the cartoon should be looked at too:

Edited by gcle2003 - 01-Oct-2007 at 11:19
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 19:34
A lot of people define heaven as eternal paradise, but I disagree. If heaven was indeed a utopian world, then why did Lucifier (aka Satan) began his rebellion? I remember reading about a book that hinted that even if our world becomes utopian society, people will not find happiness because of boredom and lack of purpose.

How I would define heaven is where God's presence exist. God himself is perfect, yes. Heaven is not a perfect world... for only God is perfect. Anything that reached the point of perfection is God, and God alone. The definition of God is the absolute perfection. By being perfect, he is able to exercise mercy and justice.

I remember reading article about Matrix. When the machines tried to design the illusionary world of Matrix, they tried to create the utopian world. It failed. They tried to create hell where werewolves, demons and other evil things were infested everywhere. It also failed. They tried the 20th century world, where both good and evil were blended together. It worked.

I remember a quote from Evangelion.

"Anywhere can be heaven, as long as you try to live. And because he is alive, for as long as he lives he will have a chance to obtain happiness."

Heaven does not have to be afterlife. Heaven can exist anywhere God's presence continue to exist. A place where one can fulfill his purpose, where he can seek happiness, where his mathimatic slope continues to curve towards the asymptote (x = perfection/God/Jesus), for without purpose, life is meaningless.

Allow me to quote from Matrix Reloaded...

We're not here because we're free, we're here because we're not free... There's no escaping reason, no denying purpose, because, as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist.
Smith 1: It is purpose that created us.
Smith 2: Purpose that connects us.
Smith 3: Purpose that pulls us.
Smith 4: That guides us.
Smith 5: That drives us.
Smith 6: It is purpose that defines us.
Smith 7: Purpose that binds us.

And what is our purpose? It depends on everyone, but mine is an adventure. A quest to Godhood. The quest would never end, for I cannot be perfect. But I think that's how God designed everything to be. For all God's creation to seek towards their purpose that binds to God.

Join us.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 04:58
My understanding of it is eternal bliss.  Though that has always been disconcerting to me...eternal?  Though I also think it might be our time spent on this earth as crazy as that sounds.  I have no reason to think re-encarnation exists so once your life ends on this earth that is it.  If that is the case then I would say living on this earth would be heaven.  If you look at the beauty of the earth and just spend a day listening to it, you'll understand.  Heaven and hell both existing on earth perhaps would be more reasonable.

I should add this has been a concern of mine since I was 4 yrs. old.  I am happy to say I am much closer to being at peace with this now 17+ yrs. later.  It doesn't keep my up all night, giving me concious nightmares anymore.  Really, I am now to the point of looking at it as a curiosity that I find interesting, but won't break into night sweats about until I am dead.Wink

Edit: forgot Northman had pretty much said the same thing, right on Northman!Clap  Pekau you are wise beyond your years.

To do homage to my ancestors I would feel compelled to head to Valhalla and spend some time there before moving on to christianitys'(sp.?) heaven.Wink  Though if it was how some here have described I doubt I would leave.Big%20smile

Edited by Justinian - 02-Oct-2007 at 05:15
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 01:29
I think of heaven as having another chance at life-possibly in another world/universe/time. and then another and another. and then more, hopefully. Life's too awesome to only have one chance at.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 04:48

about that cartoon, i hope you dont think that that is what mormons believe. i mean, there ARE some truths in there, but the vast majority of that is abunch of crap.

Don't worry White Dragon I know the source so I take it with a grain of salt. I'm glad someone posted a response to that video though, it's always best to view both biases to sort out the truth.

--------

Heaven is the full and utter realization of God's love, it is a place without suffering. In heaven we glorify God merely by existing there, and in return we receive the vision of his everlasting love.

Therefore in heaven is not like being jacked up on drugs, nor is it sitting in choir practice all day. Heaven is merely the continuation of our current lives not the creation of a new one.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 06:02

Don't worry White Dragon I know the source so I take it with a grain of salt. I'm glad someone posted a response to that video though, it's always best to view both biases to sort out the truth.

--------

Heaven is the full and utter realization of God's love, it is a place without suffering. In heaven we glorify God merely by existing there, and in return we receive the vision of his everlasting love.

Therefore in heaven is not like being jacked up on drugs, nor is it sitting in choir practice all day. Heaven is merely the continuation of our current lives not the creation of a new one.

So a soccer player would play soccer in heaven?

Edited by Adalwolf - 05-Oct-2007 at 06:02
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 06:16
If he chose to, presumably. if he didn't, maybe he could become a kung-fu champion who explored ancient ruins at the north pole and then settled down as a president.

..maybe.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 09:24

So a soccer player would play soccer in heaven?

Not necessarily, Adalwolf. When I say heaven is a continuation of our current lives I imply a sense that we would "grow" and do other things.

Think of it like a child playing with G.I. Joes, you could play with G.I. Joes as an adult however for the majority of scenarios this is seen as inappropriate and we just don't do it. Not that we couldn't do it, it's just as we mature we lose the desire to do childish things.

So in heaven you would consider things like soccer as immature, and thus would have no real desire to do so. Basically what I'm getting at is that we're gonna do stuff in heaven but it's going to be different and probably better than the stuff we do now. Not to say we can't bring out the old G.I. Joes every so often though .

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 14:34
On most religions heaven is the ultimate reward a mortal gets for being faithful while hell is the ultimate punishing ground. Now, I'm not a believer, I'm an agnostic yet I think I'm not what Christianity designates as a sinner (not a bad one anyway). So, do I get the same reward as a believer?. Or will I go to hell?
A friend of mine who is a priest (Romanian Orthodox Church) says that it is required to be forgiven before death (or immediately after I don't know the exact procedure) in order to get to heaven. Therefore hell wil be what I'll get. Yet a very bad individual (lets say a mass murderer) might go to heaven if he is forgiven before he passes out. That's kind of very not right, in my opinion. Basically, the reward of heaven is yours if you:
  1. admit that God exists.
  2. manage to get a priest who, after listening to your final words/confession, absolves you of your sins (try friar Tuck, give him a bottle of J&B before starting your story and he might even forgive the sins of your ancestors and heirs)
Well, this way, even Hitler might be found in heaven.

Will soccer be immature in hell too? Or it might be the ultimate intellectual form of confrontation?
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 16:52
That's why i like the pelagians...

believed that you didn't necessarily need to believe in god or be a christian to get into heaven, just a good person.

However, that was back when the church was having some tolerance problems and was a huge force in europe, so they kind of got squoshed.

Pity, but there you go.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 01:38

What do different religions write about "Heaven"?

Soccer/Football is great but are you suggesting the guy would play the game forever?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 03:56

I'm an agnostic yet I think I'm not what Christianity designates as a sinner (not a bad one anyway). So, do I get the same reward as a believer?. Or will I go to hell?

There is no reward or punishment, there is only judgement, but God himself has taken man's burden upon himself so we shall all be saved together.

A believe a truly good person would want to see Hitler in heaven.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 05:12
So is the idea essentially "God decides-even if you supposedly did everything right" or what?

And perhaps a truly good person might want to see hitler in heaven-but only if that meant he was willing to change.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 09:11

So is the idea essentially "God decides-even if you supposedly did everything right" or what?

No, it's just God decides.... there isn't really a right, you are either with God in the end or you are not. That is the extent of our afterlife, those with God gain eternal life, and those without God become like shadows.

but only if that meant he was willing to change.

Who Hitler? Or the Good Person? (rhetorical zen-like question).....

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 18:13
Hitler.

It'd be annoying to have him around if he wasn't trying to reform. People'd have to clean up a lot of messes.

However, the good person should change too. To live is to constantly change, in a million little ways-even inanimate things like amber or diamonds change, although far less.

The only unchanging thing is nonexistence, and even that changes someday.

Plus, even if you're good, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Edited by TheARRGH - 17-Oct-2007 at 23:42

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 08:17

I'm an agnostic yet I think I'm not what Christianity designates as a
sinner (not a bad one anyway). So, do I get the same reward as a
believer?. Or will I go to hell?

There is no reward or punishment, there is only judgement, but God himself has taken man's burden upon himself so we shall all be saved together.

No reward?! God has taken the burden?! We all will be saved? Excuse me Janus but it's a little to much like nonsense propaganda. I remember the time when I was a young boy and we were lectured about the greatness of the society communism had created in our country. It's the same thing: meaningless words.
Heaven and hell are reward and punishment.
A believe a truly good person would want to see Hitler in heaven.
[/QUOTE]
A truly good person would want to see everyone in heaven but that's not the point. What's important is if there is a possibility for Hitler to be forgiven, according to Christian procedures.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 17:33

Only if you believe God condemns anyone to Hell. Which I believe he does not, since it would be unfair to assume that us mere mortals can know the Truth in this world, and without that we don't know God and therefore cannot join in his kingdom. If you read the Bible, good deeds don't get you into heaven, only God's will and grace can bring you there.

What's important is if there is a possibility for Hitler to be forgiven, according to Christian procedures.

Let's see here, a baptized Christian who suffered from mental illness, which led to sins he is not morally responsible for, yeah I'd say he has a pretty decent shot at heaven under "procedures".

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 11:18

Only if you believe God condemns anyone to Hell. Which I believe he does not, since it would be unfair to assume that us mere mortals can know the Truth in this world, and without that we don't know God and therefore cannot join in his kingdom. If you read the Bible, good deeds don't get you into heaven, only God's will and grace can bring you there.

Well, is this your personal oppinion or are this the Official Christian rules to get into heaven?

What's important is if there is a possibility for Hitler to be forgiven, according to Christian procedures.

Let's see here, a baptized Christian who suffered from mental illness, which led to sins he is not morally responsible for, yeah I'd say he has a pretty decent shot at heaven under "procedures".

Last week on Thursday I was on a trip to Nicula monastery near Cluj Napoca. We were offered a tour of the monastery, with a monk for guide, then we were invited to a dinner. When I am in situations like these I don't start or pick up an argument regarding religon, since as a guest I consider that it would be disrepectful for my host.
Some of my coleagues though did start a discussion regarding religion, hell, heaven, who is worthy and who is not, etc. The monk (I don't know exactly his rank but he was from the top) mainly during the two hours of speech, mainly stated that:
  1. Christianity is not about blind belief/faith and obedience but it's about belief/faith and the seek for thruth.
  2. He never talks to a person with the intention to convert him. Faith is freedom.
  3. The Holy Books are mainly guidelines. The thruth lies in research: scientific, theological, phylosophical, etc.
  4. The abrahamic God is the same for the related religions, but only Christianity, after Jesus Christ, follow the right path to Him.
  5. Muslims have perverted the religion. Actually he was very mean in what he said when asked about the Quran: "Cineva care citeste Coranul este liber sa moara". One can translate this in different ways but what he meant was "Quran only gives you the freedom of death"
  6. The other Christians (not Orthodox, so this goes for Catholic and main Catholic derived churches) are mislead but they do not face damnation.
  7. The mosaics are cursed by their past but they too are not at high risk to be left out of heaven.
  8. Heaven is not a reward but it's getting near and in contact with God. That contact with divinity is seen as a natural purpose rather than a reward.
  9. Being good is not necessarily a path to heaven. The important thing is having "har" which I would not know how to translate in a single word. It's about the revelation of the divine to the mere human and also the ability of the individual to act the right way. Maybe Decebal or Menumorut will be able to translate it properly.
  10. Atheists and agnostic are not condemned to hell but they will be also unable to reach heaven.

Bassically this sums up to:

1. There are three kind of people: heaven going, undefined and hell going.
  2. Religion is the basic separator of people.
  3. There's no chance for heaven if you're a muslim.

Too bad we didn't have the time to talk about other religions.

*Hitler, not being a muslim, is undefined, I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>