Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chupacabra - A Real Creature?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chupacabra - A Real Creature?
    Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 11:21
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

The Chupacabra, translated directly as 'Goat Sucker' is a creature reportedly at loose around Mexico. Many many people have claimed to have seen this creature, and the dead animals are real, so does this creature exist or is it just a piece of modern folklore? And if so, what killed the animals and how were their organs removed through two pencil sized puncture wounds?

And what about this disgusting abomination, is it a dog, a new species, or the Chupacabra itself?

And if this sort of thing floats your boat, check out this page on wiki, you will literally be looking around for hours.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 11:30
I saw a program on that, recently. Either on Discovery or National Geographic Channel. They provided a lot of proof it is all nonsense, and although these programmes are not always right, I tend to believe them on this.

A simple test showed, (done by a university) that leaving the rotting corpse of a cow in the sun about a week can give precisely the corpse people claim was eaten by the Chupa, due mainly to bugs and insects and such.

The skeleton one man once found and claimed was the beast was examined by another university. The scientist saw it at once when it was brought in, but did a full study anyway. It was still a common dog. When they reported this, they were accused of 'stealing' the Chupa-bones, to 'cover up' on its existance. This is a nice way of staying in denial for the believer, of course, as the untruth of this could never possibly be proven. How convenient.

And there you go. One dead dog, and conspiracy theories spring up like flowers in May.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 11:37
Yea, I think you could be right, it just seems strange that the folklore could emerge so quickly and with no seeming motivation. Some people think its actually a resident alien population, but i'll not bet my house on that..

P.S.  Aelfgifu, please tell me your Avatar is temporary, the last pic you had of Venus was my favourite in the entire forum...Good film though.

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 15:41
I thought it was a type of canine...don't remember where I heard that though.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 15:57

must be from the same tribe like the Wolpertinger.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertinger

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 16:00
I saw one of those yesterday in Central Tallinn. Those Chupabaras
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 16:04
I'd have to get a closer look to be honest. It's whacked...
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 17:43
Is the Chupacabra a real creature? the answer is, as in many other similar questions, Who knows?
is it possible such a creature or a similar one could exist? certainly, since we know perhaps 10% of the species on earth. Is it probable? uncertain.

It's fun to think about, and quite possible. But don't put money on it, or at least not too much-a lot of questions like this one could go either way.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 08:38
Dolphin said; "And what about this disgusting abomination, is it a dog, a new species, or the Chupacabra itself?"

I'm no expert but would say that is a picture of a dead coyote that died from a canine skin disease. I have seen this unfortunate condition before.
elenos
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 11:37
Originally posted by TheARRGH

is it possible such a creature or a similar one could exist? certainly, since we know perhaps 10% of the species on earth. Is it probable? uncertain.

No matter how true your 10% are, the 90% of still unknown species do tend to be concentrated in the bugs category... A canine mammal is not by far as likely to still be lurking in the woods unbeknown to us as a umpteenth variety of the mud-brown tree beetle...Tongue

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 11:48

At least in my country, the attacks of "chupacabras" leave evidences that look identical like the ones of the wild mountain lion....

I believe that lion is actually the famous chupacabras LOL

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 15-Aug-2007 at 11:49
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 11:57
True...but It would be SO COOL IF IT WAS!!!
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 14:17
I find it interesting to note that presently the Chupacabra has taken on dog-like characteristics. When historically the locals have referred to it as a Vampire Pig
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 14:27
Maybe they were Abbagoochies

1999, in an ill-considered move, the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (WVDNR) introduced thirteen baby Abbagoochies from Costa Rica into West Virginia in order to keep down the population of overpopulated predators such as coyotes and rattlesnakes. But soon, as reported by Jim Wilson of the Webster Echo in February 2001, the abbagoochie itself multiplied out of control and began attacking livestock. Soon after Wilson's article appeared, sightings of Abbagoochies began occurring throughout the region. Some farmers began carrying shotguns in order to protect their livestock. Concerned parents walked their kids to the schoolbus to make sure they were safe. And one man reported that he had accidentally run over an abbagoochie.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 04:35
Supposedly the pic I have up if of a coyote with chronic mange, but the shape of its skull and jaw are different and would have made it very difficult for it to eat. So maybe its a genetic mutation of one or two broods of coyotes that subsequently died out..? It aint the Chupacabra anyway, but its still wierd. Tests showed it was canine, but could not specify a species.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 04:39

The Elmendorf Beast is the name given to a strange creature discovered in South Texas.

The animal was shot by a rancher, Devin McAnally, in Elmendorf, Texas (south of San Antonio) in August 2004, after it had mauled thirty-five chickens in one day. It was a small hairless creature. Upon further examination, it appeared to be like nothing else known. It weighed twenty pounds (nine kilograms), and was very malnourished. The animal is said to have a severe overbite, and massive tissue damage. Later, more and more of these beasts were uncovered in the neighborhoods of Elmendorf, Pollok, and Lufkin, Texas. These beasts are unique in having a bluish-gray skin tone and no hair. When the first one was shot, it was said to have been eating mulberries. At the time, some thought the creature was a wolfcoyote cross, others thought that it was a Mexican Hairless Dog (or some other dog) with mange, and some even speculated that it was a Muntjac deer. Not surprisingly, some claimed the beast was a Chupacabra.

After the initial encounter in Elmendorf, another was spotted on Friday afternoon, October 8, under the patio of the Womack family in Pollok. In this instance, the house-owners' large dogs barked at it, but cried and whimpered when they were brought closer to the beast. The beast was shot in the eye, and virtually no blood came out of the wound. The family then phoned an expert, their daughter Stacey, who came immediately. As she was on her way, a similar animal crossed the road just in front of her. She suspects that the fleeing animal was the dead one's mate. The first of the bodies was later sent for DNA testing and many experts in the field had come up with different theories. The first result was inconclusive, though it confirmed that the species was canine. A second test said that the creature was a coyote, but made no mention of the first test, so some people doubt its accuracy.

Upon examining the Elmendorf photographs, a spokesman with the San Antonio Zoo said this is definitely not a coyote, but he doesn't know what it may be. Some of the Elmendorf tissue has been shipped to the University of California-Davis Veterinarian Genetics Laboratory for DNA analysis. Results are still pending.

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 05:47
My first impulse was to say the hairless dog, because of the color - but couldn't think of the name of it! On second look there is indeed orange colored hair on the lower part of the back. I had to say coyote judging by the size of the ears and the location. Severe overbite? Strange to use a human term. I would have used the dog breeders term of undershot lower jaw, but different terms are used in different countries.

This condition of undershot is mainly brought about by inbreeding, often caused by breeders with poor management practices and out to make a quick buck. So my best guess would be yet another experiment gone wrong and the breeder dumped the poor animals that had no place in the wild. The end of the story about the family that didn't understand what the creature was so they shot it makes me cringe.
elenos
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 05:54

Click to See Skull Enlargement.
There's a genuine cryptozoological mystery deep in the heart of Texas. A rancher in Elmendorf, Texas, shot a strange animal that ate 35 of his chickens in a single day. Scientists who have examined the creature's body have not been able to identify it. Unknowncountry.com is having DNA testing done on the body. For more information and pictures, read the full story.

The Dig. Click to See Detail.
The Elmendorf beast is a strange, hairless dog-looking creature with a blue-gray color and strangely-shaped teeth. Macanally says, "First thing that came to my mind, is surely everybody's gonna think this is a Chupacabra. But it's so odd because it has no hair." One woman who saw a photo of it says it's exactly how her grandmother described the Chupacabras she saw.

Skull Recovery. Click for Detail.
When the rancer took the skull to experts at the San Antonio Zoo, biologists could not identify it. The zoo's Terry DeRosa thinks "It may be one of the hairless dogs that perhaps you see in Mexico." Mexican hairless dogs are generally much smaller. This animal is believed to have weighed around twenty pounds. Some experts who have observed photos of the corpse feel that the animal was afflicted by sarcoptic mange, and had not originally been hairless.

This expert says, "I believe that this animal's condition represents some sort of unrecognized environmental catastrophe. Other small predators with sarcoptic mange have been observed elsewhere in the country recently. It needs urgent study."

The condition of the Elmendorf Beast's jaw is not a result of disease process. John Gramieri, the San Antonio Zoo's Mammal Curator thinks it's a mix between a dog and a coyotea coydogwith very strange teeth. He says, "It's clearly a member of the dog family, a family candidate. For whatever reason, this animal had a very poor fusion in the [jaw area]so it allowed that lower jaw to spread in a way that is not normal for any mammal, actuallyIt apparently had some very bad skin ailment, and that skin ailment made it go bald except for the top of its body." Gramieri, as well as area ranchers, believes that there are more of the creatures out there. Area ranchers believe that they are breeding.

The jaw structure is not a deformity in the usual sense because it is symmetrical. It is not a mammalian jaw at all, but appears more akin to the jaw of a reptile. There is nothing in the genetic code of the mammal that would enable a jaw structure such as this. This raises the possibility that intentional genetic manipulation, or a highly unusual natural mutation, has been involved in the emergence of this species.

The rancher says, "I want this one to be a new speciesor at least something that somebody has never seen in a cross between two different ones."

DNA results from one of the world's leading testing facilities should be available within a month. To learn more, click here, here and here.

Even if it's all rubbish, it's still interesting to rad about, I think.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 05:56
The article above is full of inaccuracies, he didnt eat 35 chickens, he couldn't eat all at. He mauled them. But it still worth a read.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 07:17
Again more evidence the inbred and crossbred dogs had been raised by a crazy dog breeder. If they had of been around for all that long they would have learned to stay away from human settlement.

Edited by elenos - 16-Aug-2007 at 07:18
elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>