Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polish Winged Hussars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>
Poll Question: Were the Winged Hussars the best cavalry untis in the time period?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [60.33%]
14 [11.57%]
30 [24.79%]
4 [3.31%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polish Winged Hussars?
    Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:07
Originally posted by ataman

Originally posted by xi_tujue

First of all I haven't read all the post but I think it's verry "strange" that the best european cavalary begins to develop after the Mongolian/Tatar invasion of Europe

Well, every period has its own 'the best troops' Smile

as for the winged part
SUPRISE!!

It's from Osprey about Polish army, isn't it?
As far as wings are concerned, they are (I write only about this kind of wing with wooden frame) Polish invention, which were copied by some Tartars.

(how many of you knew this oh yeah the word uhlan comes froml the Turkic word oglan wich means (slave)boy

Well, it is a common knowledge in Poland that the word 'uhlan' ('ułan' in Polish) is a Tartar origin. There was a Tartar family in P-L Commonwealth called 'Ułan'. Because so many members of this family served in the Polish army, its name become a synonym of the formation where they served.

Developing and copying are 2 different things.

as for the wing thing I have mu doubts
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:07

Part of the painting 'Election of August II' by unknown painter in 1697

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:10

Developing and copying are 2 different things.
as for the wing thing I have mu doubts

xi_tujue, look at wings of Polish hussars in the Stokholm's Roll. They are the same like your Tartar from 1656. So, who was the first?
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:23

Here are Tartars in the battle of Warsaw 1656. It was painted by Johann Philip Lempke in 1684. Xi_tujue, it seems that it was a model for Osprey winged Tartar. 

Edited by ataman - 07-Feb-2007 at 08:24
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:03
Look all I'm saying is that its a hard to believe that a group of people who are known for their cavalary. are going to copy from people who started to use cavalary(well make it count) after they came to that region wich was about 1000 years ago(huns & bulgars).

I find it verry "intresting" that they best cavalary in European history are the Hussars, uhlans & Cosacks. There fighting style are so similar to those of  ......... 

you fill in the empty spot
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:10
Actually those wings have balkan origins. This feature was spread out in eastern Europe by Serbian mercenaries ( Gusars, where the name hussar comes from), in Ottoman empire these soldiers were known as Delis.

Edited by axeman - 07-Feb-2007 at 09:10
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:13
Originally posted by axeman

Actually those wings have balkan origins. This feature was spread out in eastern Europe by Serbian mercenaries ( Gusars, where the name hussar comes from), in Ottoman empire these soldiers were known as Delis.

delis do you mean deliler
Deli means crazy in Turkish

Edited by xi_tujue - 07-Feb-2007 at 09:15
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:14
Hussars in the battle of Kalisz 1706 (painted by unknown painter in early 18th c.)

Edited by ataman - 07-Feb-2007 at 09:15
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:19

Hussars in the battle of Kalisz 1706 (painted by unknown painter in early 18th c.)

wow even there banners look like mongolian horsehair banners
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:31

Look all I'm saying is that its a hard to believe that a group of people who are known for their cavalary. are going to copy from people who started to use cavalary(well make it count) after they came to that region wich was about 1000 years ago(huns & bulgars).

xi_tujue, you can believe or don't believe anything you want, but as far as wings are concerned (the wings with wooden frame), AFAIK there is no evidence that Tartars used them before the Poles.

I find it verry "intresting" that they best cavalary in European history are the Hussars, uhlans & Cosacks. There fighting style are so similar to those of  ......... 

Tell me which Mongol or Tartar troops charged enemies with over 6m long hollowed lances? Which Mongol or Tartar troops used iron armors and fire weapon?
We can alawys find some similarities between every kind of cavalry (the most obvious is using a horse Smile), but claiming that Polish winged hussars fought like Tartars is completly wrong.
Tartars and Polish hussars fought a lot of times times with each other. And they fought in different manners. Why? Because they were completly different kinds of cavalry. The Poles, armored, armed of long lances, charged straight on enemies. The Tartars, mostly unarmored, armed of bows and sabres, tried to outflank hussars and attack their backs. Or they stayed at some distance and shot to hussars. 
Hussars charged in close order ('knee to knee'). Tartars usuallu fought in loose formation.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:33

[QUOTE=ataman]wow even there banners look like mongolian horsehair banners

I suppose you mean 'znak hetmański' (hetman's sign). Yes, it is copied from steppe horsemen.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:40

Axeman, do you know any evidence that wings with wooden frame (I don't write about natural wings) were used outside Poland before 16th c.?
It's true that Delis used wings - but they were natural wings.
It's true that Hungarian cavalry used 'winged shields' - but winged shields aren't wings with wooden frame.
It's true that feathers were popular in central, southern and eastern Europe. But there is a difference between feathers, natural wings, winged shields and wings with wooden frames.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:41

xi_tujue, you can believe or don't believe anything you want, but as far as wings are concerned (the wings with wooden frame), AFAIK there is no evidence that Tartars used them before the Poles.

Tell me which Mongol or Tartar troops charged enemies with over 6m long hollowed lances? Which Mongol or Tartar troops used iron armors and fire weapon?
We can alawys find some similarities between every kind of cavalry (the most obvious is using a horse Smile), but claiming that Polish winged hussars fought like Tartars is completly wrong.
Tartars and Polish hussars fought a lot of times times with each other. And they fought in different manners. Why? Because they were completly different kinds of cavalry. The Poles, armored, armed of long lances, charged straight on enemies. The Tartars, mostly unarmored, armed of bows and sabres, tried to outflank hussars and attack their backs. Or they stayed at some distance and shot to hussars. 
Hussars charged in close order ('knee to knee'). Tartars usuallu fought in loose formation.

thats because the Tatars were iregular troops who were used to do raids on the enemy or scare the enemy.

If i'm not wrong they also had heavly cavalary with lances
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:46

thats because the Tatars were iregular troops who were used to do raids on the enemy or scare the enemy.

Exactly. Tartars and Polish 'winged' hussars were completly different kind of cavalry.

If i'm not wrong they also had heavly cavalary with lances

Some Tartars used lances. But they were short (some 2,5-3m) and completly different than hussar lances. Hussar lances were long (even 6,2m) and hollowed inside. Hussar lances could be used only once, while Tartar ones could be used many times (because they didn't break during impact).
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:55
Hussars from the painting 'Kampament wojsk saskich' by J.Ch.Mock (1732)

Edited by ataman - 07-Feb-2007 at 09:56
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 13:24

so I did some research well accualy I asked some friends who are studying history

I will quote him here(not from the forum)

the wings were first worn by Ottoman Delis of course, the term Hussar (Gussar) comes from Serbian, maybe aca can confirm it. the winged Crimean Tatar Oglans copied the Poles from what i know. Venetians also had Winged Hussars from locals of their balkan provinces. not sure Serbian and Hungarian Hussars ever wore wings.

so you were right about the Delis
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 14:43

so I did some research well accualy I asked some friends who are studying history

I will quote him here(not from the forum)

the wings were first worn by Ottoman Delis of course,

So once again - delis used wings, but:
1. they weren't first who did it
2. opposite to Polish hussars, who used wings with wooden frame, delis used naturalistic wings (like at the picture below)
Deli according to Nicholas de Nicoloy (1567)

the winged Crimean Tatar Oglans copied the Poles from what i know.

I have found other example of winged Tartar. It is a drawing of mirza Ali Girej (Tartar khan's son) in the time of the battle of Vienna 1683. The wing has wooden frame (like those used by Polish hussars about 100 years earlier)

Venetians also had Winged Hussars from locals of their balkan provinces.

xi_tujue, Venetians didn't have 'winged hussars'. They had 'stradioti'.

Edited by ataman - 08-Feb-2007 at 02:38
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 14:53

so who was it then? ;)

BTW, he was quoting me, not someone who actually studied history Tongue
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 16:26

Axeman, do you know any evidence that wings with wooden frame (I don't write about natural wings) were used outside Poland before 16th c.?

Shields of this asymmetric shape were the standard equipment of early hussars. They were known by the Turks as "Rumelian" (Balkan) shields, by the Italians as Bosnian shields and by the Poles as Hungarian shields. The winged claw device appears in Central European heraldry and evidently inspired some horsemen to tack actual wings on the shields.

Soldier with similar shield most likely Bosnian.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 17:03
Originally posted by Temujin

so who was it then? ;)

BTW, he was quoting me, not someone who actually studied history Tongue

yes i was hehe(I thougth you did you lied to meLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>