Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polish Winged Hussars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Poll Question: Were the Winged Hussars the best cavalry untis in the time period?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [60.33%]
14 [11.57%]
30 [24.79%]
4 [3.31%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polish Winged Hussars?
    Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 17:59
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 18:03
Cool, any explanation for the wings or purely decor? as in what's the  history behind it.

Edited by Zagros Purya
Keltoi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Keltoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 20:25

The wings made a noise that scared the opponent, and the wings blocked blows from behind.

*spelling mistake

Edited by Keltoi
Cymru am Byth
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 05:12
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 07:14
Lol, probably compleetly unrealted, but did the wings make a "husssssing" noise?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 09:25

you think were the name comes... from ukranian Huszar - nobles who gathered to defend homeland

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 11:34
The name hussars (or polish Husarz) derived form serbian word "usar" or "gusar" means knight. The first hussars in Poland apper in 1500 - and their name are specified in tresaury register from Cracow " Regestrum in quo diversi computi"
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 12:44
well, i dont know that much latin!!!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 13:38

Originally posted by TJK

The name hussars (or polish Husarz) derived form serbian word "usar" or "gusar" means knight. The first hussars in Poland apper in 1500 - and their name are specified in tresaury register from Cracow " Regestrum in quo diversi computi"

BTW TJK, do you remember the site and discussion about cavalry, it was japanese and had very cool colour pictures of many famous cavalry units trough history, our AE members were trying to name all the units? There was a picture of the rider whose horse was covered by lionskin? You said that it is 15th century Serb or hungarian hussar?

Accidentally i found what was that. It was Dalmatian rider (maybe even Serb Usar) but in the Venetian serivce. They were called "stratori" or somthing like that.

Edited by Mosquito
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 14:10

Yep, I remember this topic (damn Proboards ) the guy had a typical early-hussars cup and was equipped with nadziak..

It could be that some Serbs together with Albanians and Greeks have formed this light cavalry formation, the mode for using the lions or tigers skin they have copied from thier opponents (as hussars did) - Ottomans delis

website about stradioti:

http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Stradioti.html

Edited by TJK
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 13:17
did polish make huszar regiments as the mercenaries also...
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 16:20

Originally posted by rider

did polish make huszar regiments as the mercenaries also...

I dont think so. I have never heard about any polish mercenary hussar unit. One of the reasons was probably fact that into hussars were allowed only rich nobles.

The hussar equipment - horse, armour, weapons, together with all the decorations they used were very expensive and every hussar was equiping himself on his own cost.

Keltoi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Keltoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 20:18

Only the lance was provided to the hussar. They wore some of the most expenseive armor that there was at the time due to all of the decorations.

Cymru am Byth
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 11:25

Not many knows that but there were also Russian winged hussars. Rusian armies were many time defeated by polish husars so someone in russia thought that it would be wise to create their own russian hussars. They copied everything, even the wings but their husars were pathetic, they were fighting poorly and soon the experiment was abadonned. They didnt undestand that Polish hussar is somthing more than just horse, lance, armor. It was also a man who grew up in completelly different conditions and tradition. And polish nobles who were in hussars were the elite of their class. They were better riders, better fencers, better lancers and stronger men than those who served in other formations.

Edited by Mosquito
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 04:43
and they could use all those... russians were defeated so many times...
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:03

Not many knows that but there were also Russian winged hussars...

http://www.megalink.net/~dschorr/RusArm17.html

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:29
Originally posted by TJK

Not many knows that but there were also Russian winged hussars...

http://www.megalink.net/~dschorr/RusArm17.html

In contrast to southern units, in the Novgorod Corps (Northwest) a separate Hussar regiment was formed. It had different history from the lancers. The hussars were formed as a close combat unit in Reiter regiments. Russian hussars were a copy of Polish Hussars, but without "wings" and shields (I'm not sure in it, but I have not found any mention of wings and shields in this regiment). In 1662 a separate Hussar regiment was formed under Colonel Nikifor Karaulov. In consisted 20 officers and 350 hussars in five companies. In 1673 this regiment numbered 417 men, and 465 men in 1679.

Hussars were armed with a lance (not spear) and pistols. They were protected by a light cuirass and Naruchnik (an armour protecting the hands). In the middle of 1670's Lancer companies were added to Reiters regiments in Novgorod corps too, but a separate Hussar regiment was retained.

So i was wrong. The author of article says that Russian hussars had no wings. But im sure i have read years ago that they had wings.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 18:18
I know that there was a unit of Russian lancers that had wings, there's a picture of them in the Gorelik book I bought.
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 17:30
For Europe: Yes; but for the entire World: I have my doubts. What about the Circassians and Manchu Qing Eight Banner Cavalry?
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 20:52

Originally posted by ihsan

For Europe: Yes; but for the entire World: I have my doubts. What about the Circassians and Manchu Qing Eight Banner Cavalry?

Iv heard that Circassians were awesome cavalry. But i have never seen a picture of any. I remember i have read in the past somwhere that the lance was hard to use against enemy who was a great horseman and that Cossacks found it impossible to use against Circassian cavalry. On the other hand cossaks were good horsemen too but didnt have much succes against polish cavalry when fought on horse and prefered to fight against Poles on foots.

Does anyone have any pics of them or know mpore details?

Edited by Mosquito
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>