Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polish Winged Hussars?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Poll Question: Were the Winged Hussars the best cavalry untis in the time period?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [60.33%]
14 [11.57%]
30 [24.79%]
4 [3.31%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Joined: 09-Aug-2004
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 314
  Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polish Winged Hussars?
    Posted: 18-Apr-2012 at 00:18
Originally posted by Tryskochvost

don't you know some armourer, making copies and selling them?

Last summer when I was in Poland I actually saw a husar armour for sale in a gift shop in Kraków. I believe it was just over 1300zł.
Back to Top
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Avatar
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Joined: 22-Mar-2011
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7940
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by Sarmata

Originally posted by Tryskochvost

don't you know some armourer, making copies and selling them?

Last summer when I was in Poland I actually saw a husar armour for sale in a gift shop in Kraków. I believe it was just over 1300zł.

Cool. I'm visiting Krakow in the summer: the first time i've been to the old country
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Back to Top
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Joined: 09-Aug-2004
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 314
  Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2012 at 23:51
Oh! Krakow has definately changed in the past 10 years or so. its a very touristy place now. some ppl like that, others dont. Im sure you'll enjoy it. If you're a fan of Polish history Krakow is the first place to go! I always try to visit there when i visit family. Make sure to check out Wawel. and apparently theres a new underground museum, i found out about this too late in my last visit and regretably didnt get to see it but i heard good things.
Back to Top
Scanspeak View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard


Joined: 29-Sep-2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
  Quote Scanspeak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 03:32
Originally posted by Huitzilopochtli

I dunno if they were the best,  personally an interesting match up would be Cataphracts versus Hussar



I wonder how someone, who comes from a place where 37% of the population cannot identify its own country on the world map, could be so provident on European history? The results seems to be a virtual confrontation between types of cavalry that existed until the 11c ( for the Cataphract and later Clibanarii ) and one that emerged in the 16c...Should I mention that in the same non-identifiable country, 93% of the population believes in ghosts and around 70% do not know that the sun is a star...And now they come and share their opinion on European history, using some new words that do not appear in proper English, perhaps an incarnation of corrupted communication in a small town with 200 churches bearing different names and proclaiming a different messiah.

I know this post will be deleted but will loose some more tiem and share my opinion on the Winged Hussars.

During their time they were the best cavalry unt in the World. Confrontations with Swedes, Russians, Cossacs ( Berestechko, other battles were lost due to defected registered cossacks or poor command and great inferiority in numbers ), Tatars, Holy Roman Empire. The fact they started to loose battles in the late 18c was mostly due to poor command - they still used the frontal charge tactics which usually leads to a catastrophy when on infantry squares ( if squares remain calm and fire on time ). Uhlans replaced them only because muskets/rifles became too advanced and were able to penetrate armour even at 80m. Cuirassiers, which were a modern alternative to the Husaria, were used to the WWI and proved cruicial in many battles. Technically, the only difference was the use of a broadsword and sometimes a carbine ( less than 15% used one due to its weight ) while the W.Hussars preferred the lance/sabre/pistols combination. They were used properly and proved effective, so it was not a problem of the Winged Hussars that they lost but due to poor command.
In terms of riding skills and efficiency, I would second the Zaporozhian Cossacs.
Back to Top
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Avatar
Tomato Master Emeritus

Joined: 14-Jan-2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 10108
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 10:29
I'm not sure what it is your speaking of, and I'm uncertain you are as well.  You are denigrating an unknown or unmentionable country?
Back to Top
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Avatar

Joined: 18-Aug-2006
Location: The Llano
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7392
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 11:09
Originally posted by Scanspeak

Originally posted by Huitzilopochtli

I dunno if they were the best,  personally an interesting match up would be Cataphracts versus Hussar



I wonder how someone, who comes from a place where 37% of the population cannot identify its own country on the world map, could be so provident on European history? The results seems to be a virtual confrontation between types of cavalry that existed until the 11c ( for the Cataphract and later Clibanarii ) and one that emerged in the 16c...Should I mention that in the same non-identifiable country, 93% of the population believes in ghosts and around 70% do not know that the sun is a star...And now they come and share their opinion on European history, using some new words that do not appear in proper English, perhaps an incarnation of corrupted communication in a small town with 200 churches bearing different names and proclaiming a different messiah.

I know this post will be deleted but will loose some more tiem and share my opinion on the Winged Hussars.

During their time they were the best cavalry unt in the World. Confrontations with Swedes, Russians, Cossacs ( Berestechko, other battles were lost due to defected registered cossacks or poor command and great inferiority in numbers ), Tatars, Holy Roman Empire. The fact they started to loose battles in the late 18c was mostly due to poor command - they still used the frontal charge tactics which usually leads to a catastrophy when on infantry squares ( if squares remain calm and fire on time ). Uhlans replaced them only because muskets/rifles became too advanced and were able to penetrate armour even at 80m. Cuirassiers, which were a modern alternative to the Husaria, were used to the WWI and proved cruicial in many battles. Technically, the only difference was the use of a broadsword and sometimes a carbine ( less than 15% used one due to its weight ) while the W.Hussars preferred the lance/sabre/pistols combination. They were used properly and proved effective, so it was not a problem of the Winged Hussars that they lost but due to poor command.
In terms of riding skills and efficiency, I would second the Zaporozhian Cossacs.
 
 
 
 
 
Not yet...but your close. And not because you are apparently not knowledgeable...but because of your smart ass rude attitude towards a poster who hasn't been here in 8 years. Let alone defend himself. As to your allegations of knowledge or lack thereof in the country in which you cite. I know who it is that you are attempting to defame.
 
 
 
And as I also know where your posting from this is not unexpected. So be advised... you can opine and ridicule to a point. But it had better be with a better use of comment...or I will personally put you out of the business of posting here. Period.
 
 
 
 
 
As you appear to be not even smart enough to do it from a covert feigned intellectualist fashion.
 
 
 
I do not do that much anymore. But in your case I'll make an exception....because not only is your rudeness and overt nationalism and directed covert anti-nationalism unacceptable; it's trolling as well. Which are all Coc violations.
 
 
Which you have no doubt failed to read.
 
 
Consequently you have a long road to plow before you are accepted with credibility here as far as I'm concerned. So start anew or suffer the consequences.
 
 
CV


Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 29-Sep-2012 at 11:23
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman


Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Back to Top
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Avatar
Tomato Master Emeritus

Joined: 14-Jan-2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 10108
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 13:00
Yeah, what he said. Big smile
 
 
 
Back to Top
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Avatar
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Joined: 22-Mar-2011
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7940
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 19:25
Originally posted by Sarmata

Oh! Krakow has definately changed in the past 10 years or so. its a very touristy place now. some ppl like that, others dont. Im sure you'll enjoy it. If you're a fan of Polish history Krakow is the first place to go! I always try to visit there when i visit family. Make sure to check out Wawel. and apparently theres a new underground museum, i found out about this too late in my last visit and regretably didnt get to see it but i heard good things.

I visited the cathedral at Wawel, but couldn't get tickets to the armory. There's a tower in the town square where a trumpeter was tasked with warning the citizens of the approaching Tatars. He was killed with an arrow halfway through the bugle call
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a [Free Express Edition]
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.