Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polish Winged Hussars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Poll Question: Were the Winged Hussars the best cavalry untis in the time period?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [60.33%]
14 [11.57%]
30 [24.79%]
4 [3.31%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Strongbow View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Strongbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polish Winged Hussars?
    Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 01:16
1683 this is 17th century,right so?
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 09:09
Originally posted by Strongbow

1683 this is 17th century,right so?

yes
Tryskochvost View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tryskochvost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2009 at 19:46
Not so long ago, I heard a ridiculous tale about battle for  Vienna:

John III Sobieski was travelling very long to reach Vienna. When he was in range, he let to serve three hours long masse for victory (to archangel Michael and God, off course) than he put angel wings on the backs of all his soldiers and led them into near forest,where half of them hitted the trees, when they reached turkish army, they won only by miracle. After battle, John III viewed five thousands of dead hussars and said : You did not died unselessly.

It heated me! In my -ateistic- country there are many people with bad view on Poland. If I could, i would be a pole...hussar offcourse
"Toho bohda nebude, aby Cesky kral z boje utikal"(Let it never be the case that a Bohemian king runs from a fight!] John the Blind-king of Bohemia,in battle for Crecy
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2009 at 19:08
Originally posted by Tryskochvost

Not so long ago, I heard a ridiculous tale about battle for  Vienna:

John III Sobieski was travelling very long to reach Vienna. When he was in range, he let to serve three hours long masse for victory (to archangel Michael and God, off course) than he put angel wings on the backs of all his soldiers and led them into near forest,where half of them hitted the trees, when they reached turkish army, they won only by miracle. After battle, John III viewed five thousands of dead hussars and said : You did not died unselessly.
I hope the story is not taken from any historical book Smile

It heated me! In my -ateistic- country there are many people with bad view on Poland.
Paradoxicaly, the Czechs are at the top of the list of the most favourite nations in Poland. 

Edited by ataman - 14-Mar-2009 at 19:09
Tryskochvost View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tryskochvost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 16:31
really? maybe I am mistaken now i am in morava [brno]. but i think it is because of religion, in Cz there are some 80percent of atheists, [damn the comunists] they dont like catholic and in poland there are most people catholic. in cz there are gossips, that in poand teletubies, pat a mat and kremilek a vochomurka are forbidden and so on, but the minority of christians like poland very much
"Toho bohda nebude, aby Cesky kral z boje utikal"(Let it never be the case that a Bohemian king runs from a fight!] John the Blind-king of Bohemia,in battle for Crecy
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 17:25

really?

Yeap. Here is the list of the first 5 the most favourite nations for the Poles. Czechs are nr 2 - 53% of the Poles declare liking for Czechs. 

Italians (54%)
Czechs (53%)
Spaniards (52%)
Slovaks (51%)
Englishmen (51%)

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 17:30
Originally posted by ataman

really?

Yeap. Here is the list of the first 5 the most favourite nations for the Poles. Czechs are nr 2 - 53% of the Poles declare liking for Czechs. 

Italians (54%)
Czechs (53%)
Spaniards (52%)
Slovaks (51%)
Englishmen (51%)

How much are Germans, Russians, Ukrainians and Lithuanians liked in Poland? Smile
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 17:34
Originally posted by Roberts

How much are Germans, Russians, Ukrainians and Lithuanians liked in Poland? Smile

Germans 38%

Russians 30%

Ukrainians 34%

Lithuanians 41%

All these data are for January 2009

Edited by ataman - 17-Mar-2009 at 17:35
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 21:40
Originally posted by ataman

Originally posted by Roberts

Germans 38%

Russians 30%

Ukrainians 34%

Lithuanians 41%

All these data are for January 2009

Man how about turks Smile
Strongbow View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Strongbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 00:08
99,9 likes kebabLOL
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 07:23
Evrenosgazi, unfortunately the list I know doesn't include Turks. There are only all neighbors of Poland, some European nations and only 4 nations from outside Europe.

But let me try to put this discussion into a historical context. It might be interesting how Polish preferences were changing since 16th c. 

Now the number 1 of the most liked nations are Italians. It is a colossal change. Italians in 16th c. Poland had a very bad name. They were perceived as a poisoners and assassins.

Number 2 – Czechs. There was some pity for Czechs in 16-17th c. Poland, because Bohemian nobility was oppressed by Hapsburgs. Polish-Czechs relations were the worst between WWI and WWII (it was the effect of territorial quarrels), but since that time Czechs regained somehow liking in Polish eyes. Maybe thanks to Czech animated cartoons (like Krtek, Rumcajs, Sasiedzi/A je to!, Pat a Mat) known by every Polish kid, or maybe thanks to 'The Good Soldier Švejk', 'Jožin z bažin' or Jakub Janda? I have no idea. 

Number 3 – Spaniards. I have an impression that Spain wasn't known too well in 16-17th c. Poland. Polish travelers seldom visited Spain in that time. Spanish conquests in Americas were known in Poland but the Poles (read – Polish nobility) had some mixed feelings about it. Spain was a Catholic country. So was Poland. But Polish nobility was proud that opposite to Spain, Polish Catholic church regained its position (weakened by Protestant Reformation) without oppressions of people. On the other hand Polish nobles had warm feelings to Spanish ones, because they were perceived as a proud people (means similar to Polish nobles).

And other nations

Turks – the Poles were afraid of Ottoman Empire in 16th c.. There was some complex in Polish mentality, after lost battles of Varna 1444 and Mohacs 1526. The priority of Polish diplomacy in 16th c. was to stay in peace with Ottoman Empire. It changed in 17th c. after the battles of Chocim 1621, Chocim 1673 and Vienna 1683. The Poles regained self-confidence. 
Turks in 16-17th c were perceived as a danger for Christianity. But it didn't disturb to copy Turkish fashion, which was very popular in Poland, especially in the second half of 17th c. and in early 18th c. The Poles were (and still are) proud that Poland stopped Ottoman expansion. An average Pole knows 2 battle from Polish history: the battle of Grunwald 1410 and the battle of Vienna 1683.
Anyway, in 18th and especially in 19th c. the Poles realized that Ottoman Empire is a natural Polish ally in wars against Russia. A romantic opinion about Turks finally won in 19th c. Polish liaison to Turks survived until know, but I have an impression that it might change quickly. An average Pole know almost nothing about modern Turkey. Except kebab (liked in Poland), the Poles don't associate Turkey with any other good mark-symbol. It is a colossal step backwards comparing to 17th c. 
Now, we don't have any cultural exchange. There are no Turkish movies or animated cartoons in Polish TV. The Poles don't know Turkish sportsmen, writers, musicians etc. On the other hand a lot of Poles, who visit Germany come back with worse opinion about Turks. Nothing is done to improve opinion about Turks and Turkey in Poland.

Germans – there is an old Polish saying that Germans never were and never will be Polish brothers. It was known already in 16th c. It is known now. Generally Germans had bad opinion in Poland and sometimes this opinion was very bad. But since 2 decades, thanks to a hard work of Polish media (and politicians), thanks to open borders, thanks to a lot of projects etc. Polish opinion about Germans is improving. Now 38% the Poles declare that they like Germans. Only 32% declare that they don't like them. Well, it is not bad :).

Hungarians – the Poles have almost constant feelings to Hungarians. They liked them always and now (48% declare that they like them) even more than in 16-17th c. It is a paradox because an average Pole don't know almost nothing about modern Hungary. But there is some old saying known in our countries ('Pole, Hungarian, two good friends') which seems to dominate our opinions about each other for centuries. 

Are you interested in any other nations?

Edited by ataman - 18-Mar-2009 at 08:20
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 16:55
well i think most Poles who like Germans are no longer in Poland but have come here long ago... LOL
Mastermind View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 17:15
i think Dragoons were better Smile
Mastermind View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 17:18
Let me guess U.S.A at 10 % LOL
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 23:04
As a turk I have a sympathy against poles but the turkic population is neutral I think. The 1848-9 wars made our nations closer. Joseph Bem one of heroic commanders of the poles migrated to the ottoman empire. Russia and austria wanted him for judgement and the ottomans did not give him even facing the threats of these countries. If I am not wrong he became a muslim( politically I think) and he died in Aleppo. A lot of polish general and officer converted and gave good millitarical examples for the modernising ottoman army
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 06:57
Also Ottoman Empire was one of 2 I think countries along with Denmark that never recognized partitions of Poland.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 07:07

Originally posted by Mastermind

Let me guess U.S.A at 10 % LOL

Americans (from USA) - 47 % 

Strongbow View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Strongbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 11:11

I do not know about Denmark but the Turkey 100%.Respect for this.

Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 18:33
I think Poland is becoming too Americanized, turn the T.V on and look how much English is being spoken.
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 19:45
Originally posted by Husaria

I think Poland is becoming too Americanized, turn the T.V on and look how much English is being spoken.

That is a lot better than being Prussianized or Russianized.  We are a lot farther away. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>