Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scientific Faith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scientific Faith
    Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 02:51
which truths are there that we can know? When one questions everything, you simply can't proove it all the way down the line. I don't think it's absurd - everything is based on theory, that's all. Of course, some things are more clear than others - I never said that they weren't - I'm just saying that ultimatley, we've got to proceed on what we know because there has never been any single mathematical basis for much of our scientific knowledge - much of it's just tinkering and experiements that threw up certain results.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 03:42

It seems you forgot to mention what you meant by 'system' and why it is finite.

Sorry I thought it was implied that by system I meant the universe and it is finite because science tells us in order for their math to be correct it must be finite.

No, that's totally baseless and therefore, invalid.

No it's just based in the assumption that a divine being exists which is why it is faulty logic, it's like using the same word to define itself.

Except Big Bang is not a being or a 'force', but a theory which deals with energy, formation of regular matter etc. as opposed to 'static universe' idea.

Did I ever say Big Bang Theory? No, I said Big Bang referring to the incredible force of all matter coming into existence from nothing.

Yet it's too weak and therefore, invalid, to be a proof of anything.

Weak arguements are not invalid. They just don't hold as much proof as strong arguements.

There's no need for a first mover if everything is in motion.

But there is a point in time when said objects were not in motion, therefore a first mover is necessary. If you disregard Big Bang Theory though, I won't press this matter on you.

"and there can't be an infinite series of causes" - says who? That would mean that there's no need for a first cause so there's no need for God.

Because in order to have infinite causes it would mean that an infinite amount of time would have to have elapsed so that all of these causes could come into being, as time is not infinite there cannot be infinite causes.

If you burn a sheet of paper it ceases to exist as sheet of paper, yet that doesnt mean it turns into emptiness.

Aha, but the paper did not exist before it was turned into paper.

This argument is not invalid, as some say, it's just not functional. God is supposed to be unlimited so you can limit him to a concept like "the greatest" which basically states that "God is limited to His greatness". Of course you could say that "God is limited to His greatness which is unlimited". Note that I did not used "infinite".

I think that that is basically what that statement is saying. Of course I would counter that because the concept of God is contained in differing states of "greatness" I would say that smallness is the absence of God's greatness, so an unlimited smallness would be the total absence of God.

Humans are maybe a good counterxample since in many situations they seem to act without a purpose.

Notice my correction

that's something yet to be proved. It's basically the axiom of ID so it can't be used to explain the ID. The logic used here is circular so it's not functional.

Agreed circular reasoning is poor logic for proving a point, but still valid, since I can say the ball is red because it's red. The ball will never be blue even if I can't explain why it's not.

And, btw, the scientists don't function under any kind of faith and they certainly do not think of the scientific method as being flawless. They merely use methods that are adequate to prove something.

So your telling me if I told a biologist that there is no hard evidence that life can come about naturally from non-living matter that he'd argree that his theories about the origin of life may be flawed? I doubt it instead he would talk about the "water bubbles" created in laboratories or how the organic soup of the early earth "magically" combined in a thunderstorm to create life. And then he would say that this was "proof" his theories weren't flawed.

And I'll be damned if I believe scientists don't operate under a faith in their methods. They have their entire careers, their livelihoods staked on their ideas, and if they even act like they're turning back on their own theories, then they could lose funding for their research.

A great scientist once said "The only thing that can be proven is that something is wrong" - or words to that effect. I think thats' what Paul's interesting little speech is supposed to be getting it. You can't ultimatley proove anything - all scientific proof is essentially theory that seems to work. If some wonderful discovery were made (things like they are finding in CERN, but don't ask me because I'm terrible at science!), then it could shake the foundations of our current "theory". Everything is theory and there is no solid base for belief in anything. It's like with Metaphysics - there is no solid definition within that branch of philosophy because everything can be interpreted in an equally valid and equally logical way and still come out differently.

Clap

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 04:20
Originally posted by The_Jackal_God

seems like you have a misconception of religion when you say it requires blind faith.
OK, it requires clearvoyant faith. Being convinced that there is a (one or more or something undefined by numbers) supreme being without an irefutable proof is what the religious mind is about. So, yes, religion is blind faith. It's not something wrong, or necessary bad.

btw, in some languages, to trust and to believe are the same word, and mostly synonomous anyways.
Mostly, not entirely. We can stick to the dictionary but I think it's better to define what I mean since English is not my native language:
  1. Trust=confidence; the feeling that someone is doing what I expect him to do based on what I know about him and his deeds.
  2. Belief=faith; the absolute conviction that something is; the feeling that someone is right no matter who he is or what he deed.

not that there's anything wrong w/ trust. in fact, it is a good thing, and it's relevant that you point that out, that a fair amount of scientific research and such depends upon mutual human trust. we assume their best intentions. why isn't this good faith applied to other areas of knowledge and research. i'm not saying be naive, i'm saying casting aside radical skepticism and not making ppl prove their good intentions if there is no cause to doubt.

I trust a lot of people. I don't trust a lot too, some of them being not religious. I wasn't speaking about trusting people but trusting what people do,  the case being scientific research.
cezar, motion is a state of change, how can something always be in a state of change? it has to start from someplace, from something to change to another.
"Motion" or "state of change" is what is. At least that's what nowadays science states. Imobility is only a concept while mobility is the state of our universe. I know of religion to contradict this but it's doing it doesn't come with a proof for it.

why there cannot be infinite regression? are you mormon?
Where did I stated that?
And I consider myself an agnostic.

if you burn a sheet of paper, it doesn't cease to exist as a paper?

Did I wrote something else?

greatest doesn't gauge size exclusively, it also gauges excellence and perfection - and the spiritual not being contained by the material, size doesn't matter.
Therefore "God is perfect" is the same as "God is the Greatest"? Is there a limit to greatness/perfection?

and on the intelligence part, it doesn't mean their bright and shining, it simply means there is a will behind the actions. yes, ppl do different things for seemingly purposelessly, but they do utilize their wills - perhaps we can say their actual intelligence was dim or resting.
Intelligence=purpose/will? That would make no difference between a slug and Einstein. How would you like to be called "smart as an amoeba?"
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 05:37

No, but the matter of which the paper is comprised of did in a different form

I think that that is basically what that statement is saying. Of course I would counter that because the concept of God is contained in differing states of "greatness" I would say that smallness is the absence of God's greatness, so an unlimited smallness would be the total absence of God.

God isn't infinity in this metaphysical term- god represents infinity as humans perceive and comprehend it. God ultimatley is the infinity and wonder of the knowledge out there and how much of it there is for humans to explore. Humans, being so small and puny perceive this knowledge and space to be infinitate - we think that it's not because of scientific theorems etc - but frankly, humans can percieve something that great anyway, so it must be infinate to their comprehension. So, for all intensive purposes, god is infinity insomuch as the concept relates to humans.

Agreed circular reasoning is poor logic for proving a point, but still valid, since I can say the ball is red because it's red. The ball will never be blue even if I can't explain why it's not.

Yes, to all intenses and purposes, that ball is red. To our perception that ball is red. To almost every single test that humans can carry out that ball is red, but there is no way to prove it indisputably - you've just got to assume on the assumption that the ball is red. This assumption seems so obvious that people think it's fact - nothing is fact, only seemingly working theorems.

Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 08:00
which truths are there that we can know? When one questions everything, you simply can't proove it all the way down the line. I don't think it's absurd - everything is based on theory, that's all. Of course, some things are more clear than others - I never said that they weren't - I'm just saying that ultimatley, we've got to proceed on what we know because there has never been any single mathematical basis for much of our scientific knowledge - much of it's just tinkering and experiements that threw up certain results.

Yes, to all intenses and purposes, that ball is red. To our perception that ball is red. To almost every single test that humans can carry out that ball is red, but there is no way to prove it indisputably - you've just got to assume on the assumption that the ball is red. This assumption seems so obvious that people think it's fact - nothing is fact, only seemingly working theorems.

thats totally untrue. You are taking relativism too far with these statements. There are facts, there has to be facts. The problem is in the intepretation of those facts. Things have to happen, those occurances are facts. For instance, the World exists, thats a fact - it might be difficult to explain its creation, its history, its make up, its colour or its size, but it does exist. Or do you argue with me and will present that it is not a fact that the world Exists? You, yourself, you exist. Or do you deny that it is a fact that you exist?

Yes, in the case of a red ball, the ball might not be red because colour is generally subjective and an intepretation of what our eyes see. However, the ball is there, the ball is there to be chosen and the ball has a colour. All of these are facts. Seemingly working theorems is not really a useful way of looking at it, because things are not theories. It is not a theory that I got out of bed at a certain time and had breakfast, its fact.

Now if there are facts in daily life, that ultimately means there can be facts in Science. The problem is proving that they are facts and creating a framework in which to accurately and absolutely prove that something is a truth and not a theory.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 08:11
Yes - I see now. Metaphysics was never my strong point in reading philosophy. As to if I exist - that's one fact that I do agree with - "Cogito Ergo Sum" (I think therefore I am) must be true because I can answer that question in the first place. I don't much like Descartes - he was very much of his own time and much of his stuff is outdated but that quote and some of the theories behind it are good. You explain the point very well, Ovidius!
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 02:55

No, but the matter of which the paper is comprised of did in a different form

No, the paper is a defined object. The materials that the paper is made from only had the potential to become the paper. Until that point the paper had yet to exist.

God isn't infinity in this metaphysical term- god represents infinity as humans perceive and comprehend it.

God doesn't represent infinity or near infinity what he represents is the ultimate being of perfection, that can achieve anything the human mind can think of and more.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12