Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scientific Faith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scientific Faith
    Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 19:48
If I was to make the claim the dark side of the moon is green with pink poker dots. A scientist would demand I back up this statement. If I refuse to back it up and say I just believe it to be true, he would consider the statement unfounded superstition and me a crank.

If a scientist was to make the claim, scientific methods (impiricism, logic and so on....) were methods of proving something. I would quite naturally ask him to back this statement up and provide proof his believes were true not mere superstition. The scientist would brand me a postmodernist and irrationalist for not simply believing in his methodoloy without proof.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 21:55
What's the problem here exactly?
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 10:17
I did not understand too, sorry
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 12:05
before you equate religious beliefs w/ irrationalism, can i suggest you read through Aquinas' five proofs for the existence of God.

not all logic necessarily depends on matter or material existence for verification.

for instance, your assumption that we can only be certain of those truths that can be scientifically verified is a theoretical statement, an assumption, that cannot be scientifically verified.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 12:29
Originally posted by The_Jackal_God

can i suggest you read through Aquinas' five proofs for the existence of God

They are all invalid.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 12:53

for instance, your assumption that we can only be certain of those truths that can be scientifically verified is a theoretical statement, an assumption, that cannot be scientifically verified.

I think your assumption, polar bears are really dinasaurs diguised as 3 foot high green goblins that wear tutus and live on the moon is a statement that can't be verified.

Edited by Paul - 12-Aug-2007 at 12:56

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 23:25

They are all invalid.

1 - FIRST MOVER: Some things are in motion, anything moved is moved by another, and there can't be an infinite series of movers. So there must be a first mover (a mover that isn't itself moved by another). This is God.

2 - FIRST CAUSE: Some things are caused, anything caused is caused by another, and there can't be an infinite series of causes. So there must be a first cause (a cause that isn't itself caused by another). This is God.

Technically according to physics everything is in motion to a certain degree. This doesn't make the statement invalid, it is perfectly logical to assume that there can not be an infinite set of cause and effect sets(mathematicians did I use that correctly) in a finite system. If that is the case, eventually these near infinite effects will have a singular cause.

3 - NECESSARY BEING: Every contingent being at some time fails to exist. So if everything were contingent, then at some time there would have been nothing -- and so there would be nothing now -- which is clearly false. So not everything is contingent. So there is a necessary being. This is God.

This I believe in the light of modern thought is a weak point. As we know in our modern ideas that things we observe can come from forces seemingly independent of the actions of a being, then we must assume that there is a possibility actions exist independent of beings, although a being could still have set another action which brought that action into being....Anyway, this arguement I still think holds some validity, although its arguement is a bit weak in my opinion.

4 - GREATEST BEING: Some things are greater than others. Whatever is great to any degree gets its greatness from that which is the greatest. So there is a greatest being, which is the source of all greatness. This is God.

This arguement is valid because it agrees with popular science in that everything that exists in this universe came from the greatest force this universe has known, the Big Bang.

5 - INTELLIGENT DESIGNER: Many things in the world that lack intelligence act for an end. Whatever acts for an end must be directed by an intelligent being. So the world must have an intelligent designer. This is God.

Ah yes the old intelligent design theory, this is in fact not invalid, because it is logical to assume that an orderly world has to have some sort of inate plan of order to set it right (in fact Cosmos in greek thought implied order, contrary to disorder or Chaos, so even the ancient greeks founders of modern science believed in intelligent design.)

If a scientist was to make the claim, scientific methods (impiricism, logic and so on....) were methods of proving something. I would quite naturally ask him to back this statement up and provide proof his believes were true not mere superstition. The scientist would brand me a postmodernist and irrationalist for not simply believing in his methodoloy without proof.

LOL That's awesome Paul, all scientists function under faith that the scientific method is flawless and is the absolute truth in determining anything. While they disregard the fact that there could be a problem in the methodology that can mess up their data. I like that idea.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 00:10
Originally posted by JanusRook

it is perfectly logical to assume that there can not be an infinite set of cause and effect sets in a finite system

It seems you forgot to mention what you meant by 'system' and why it is finite.

This I believe in the light of modern thought is a weak point.

No, that's totally baseless and therefore, invalid.

This arguement is valid because it agrees with popular science in that everything that exists in this universe came from the greatest force this universe has known, the Big Bang.

Except Big Bang is not a being or a 'force', but a theory which deals with energy, formation of regular matter etc. as opposed to 'static universe' idea.

Ah yes the old intelligent design theory, this is in fact not invalid, because it is logical to assume that an orderly world has to have some sort of inate plan of order to set it right

I reconsidered. It's not simply 'wrong' as it doesn't necessarily contradict with evolution. Yet it's too weak and therefore, invalid, to be a proof of anything.

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 01:10
paul, could you be more shallow?

janus,

go ahead, explain fundamentals...define cause and effect while your at it.

like Hegel said, those who haven't studied an iota of philosophy or theology feel no shame in making sweeping pronouncements on lofty matters in these fields...i think Hegel called them...
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 06:03

paul, could you be more shallow?

Plenty, shallow is my middle name.

Could you look at someone else's statement in more jaded way, decide and quote that person saying they said the exact opposite of what they really said, more often in future please?

Edited by Paul - 13-Aug-2007 at 06:03

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 06:48
=JanusRook
1 - FIRST MOVER: Some things are in motion, anything moved is moved by another, and there can't be an infinite series of movers. So there must be a first mover (a mover that isn't itself moved by another). This is God.

"anything moved is moved by another" - not argumented. There's no need for a first mover if everything is in motion. 

2 - FIRST CAUSE: Some things are caused, anything caused is caused by another, and there can't be an infinite series of causes. So there must be a first cause (a cause that isn't itself caused by another). This is God.

"and there can't be an infinite series of causes" - says who? That would mean that there's no need for a first cause so there's no need for God.

3 - NECESSARY BEING: Every contingent being at some time fails to exist. So if everything were contingent, then at some time there would have been nothing -- and so there would be nothing now -- which is clearly false. So not everything is contingent. So there is a necessary being. This is God.

"Every contingent being at some time fails to exist" this doesn't mean that the contingent being turns into nothing. If you burn a sheet of paper it ceases to exist as sheet of paper, yet that doesnt mean it turns into emptiness. 

4 - GREATEST BEING: Some things are greater than others. Whatever is great to any degree gets its greatness from that which is the greatest. So there is a greatest being, which is the source of all greatness. This is God.

Rephrase:
4 - SMALLEST BEING: Some things are smaller than others. Whatever is small to any degree gets its smalness from that which is the smallest. So there is a smallest being, which is the source of all smallness. This is God.
This argument is not invalid, as some say, it's just not functional. God is supposed to be unlimited so you can limit him to a concept like "the greatest" which basically states that "God is limited to His greatness". Of course you could say that "God is limited to His greatness which is unlimited". Note that I did not used "infinite".

5 - INTELLIGENT DESIGNER: Many things in the world that lack intelligence act for an end. Whatever acts for an end must be directed by an intelligent being. So the world must have an intelligent designer. This is God.

"Many things in the world that lack intelligence act for an end" - that doesn't mean that everything in the world act for an end. Humans are maybe a good counterxample since in many situations they seem to act without a purpose. And they're supposed to be intelligent.
"Whatever acts for an end must be directed by an intelligent being" - that's something yet to be proved. It's basically the axiom of ID so it can't be used to explain the ID. The logic used here is circular so it's not functional.
all scientists function under faith that the scientific method is flawless and is the absolute truth in determining anything

The problem with those who are faithful(religious) is that when they ask people if they have faith in science they consider this kind of faith similar with the faith they have in their divinity.
And, btw, the scientists don't function under any kind of faith and they certainly do not think of the scientific method as being flawless. They merely use methods that are adequate to prove something.
The hilarious part is when religious people are using scientific methods and try to prove the existence of their God.

Edited by Cezar - 13-Aug-2007 at 06:49
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 08:26
Originally posted by Cezar

And, btw, the scientists don't function under any kind of faith and they certainly do not think of the scientific method as being flawless. They merely use methods that are adequate to prove something.
The hilarious part is when religious people are using scientific methods and try to prove the existence of their God.

You appear to be addressing Scientists as if they are all of one mind, many Scientists hold religous beliefs themselves, in fact I would argue that the great majority of scientists have a faith of some description. There is no magical divide between those of religous convictions and those whose proffession is science to believe so requires a great deal of blind faith.

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 13-Aug-2007 at 08:28
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 08:54
Originally posted by Praetor

Originally posted by Cezar

You appear to be addressing Scientists as if they are all of one mind, many Scientists hold religous beliefs themselves, in fact I would argue that the great majority of scientists have a faith of some description. There is no magical divide between those of religous convictions and those whose proffession is science to believe so requires a great deal of blind faith.

Regards, Praetor.

A scientist can be a religious man, there's no doubt about it. The point is that that they don not worship science as they do their divinity. That's why I stated that scientist, being religious or not, are not mistaking faith with science.
Blind faith is what religion requires, not science.
I certainly do not fully comprehend all scientific theories. But I trust those who scientifically brought them up.
Newton's mechanics, for example, are quite easy to follow and understand. Also that part of physics is known to offer sufficient support to be useful. It surely has been brought down by later developements but only to the extent that it is a theory that doesn't explain everything. I don't need to have faith to believe in quantum physics and neither to fully comprehend it. I only trust the scientists who developed the theory. Therefore I have faith in people, not in God. A scientist, of whatever level, who believes in God, only trusts science, he doesn't believe in it.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 16:18
seems like you have a misconception of religion when you say it requires blind faith.

btw, in some languages, to trust and to believe are the same word, and mostly synonomous anyways.

not that there's anything wrong w/ trust. in fact, it is a good thing, and it's relevant that you point that out, that a fair amount of scientific research and such depends upon mutual human trust. we assume their best intentions. why isn't this good faith applied to other areas of knowledge and research. i'm not saying be naive, i'm saying casting aside radical skepticism and not making ppl prove their good intentions if there is no cause to doubt.

cezar, motion is a state of change, how can something always be in a state of change? it has to start from someplace, from something to change to another.

why there cannot be infinite regression? are you mormon?

if you burn a sheet of paper, it doesn't cease to exist as a paper?

greatest doesn't gauge size exclusively, it also gauges excellence and perfection - and the spiritual not being contained by the material, size doesn't matter.

and on the intelligence part, it doesn't mean their bright and shining, it simply means there is a will behind the actions. yes, ppl do different things for seemingly purposelessly, but they do utilize their wills - perhaps we can say their actual intelligence was dim or resting.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 17:03

how can something always be in a state of change?

It's called 'dialectics'.

if you burn a sheet of paper, it doesn't cease to exist as a paper?

It turns into ash and heat, not 'nothingness'.

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 17:52
A great scientist once said "The only thing that can be proven is that something is wrong" - or words to that effect. I think thats' what Paul's interesting little speech is supposed to be getting it. You can't ultimatley proove anything - all scientific proof is essentially theory that seems to work. If some wonderful discovery were made (things like they are finding in CERN, but don't ask me because I'm terrible at science!), then it could shake the foundations of our current "theory". Everything is theory and there is no solid base for belief in anything. It's like with Metaphysics - there is no solid definition within that branch of philosophy because everything can be interpreted in an equally valid and equally logical way and still come out differently.

Therefore I have faith in people, not in God. A scientist, of whatever level, who believes in God, only trusts science, he doesn't believe in it.

As I said in my above post, accepted scientific method is only a theory that has seemed, up until now, to work. These scientists who people have "faith" in work for theory, and theory is just...theory - down the line, the further one goes (which I think is what Paul's little analongy was trying to say) nothing can be fully proven because to do so, you need something else to compare it to which is certainly true - and nothing is, so thus, nothing can be done apart from theories which seem to have produced the desired result.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 18:49
so your conclusion is "there is no truth we can be certain of"?

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 19:11
Yes - and it's the conclusion of a great many. "We can only advance on what we know" as Descartes said (at least I think that's it...). "Truths" can be interpreted in a great many ways. I consider spirtualism and other philosophies as trying to find a mix of them which suits you in a guise (cultural or otherwise) that you feel is appropriate.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 20:00
Indeed, that is where Paul makes a mockery of the original thought that he is trying to emulate. The idea that there are truths, but its the intepretation which is difficult. We can all agree that things happen, things are and facts must be out there, its just finding them that is difficult or finding a structure to deconstruct them accurately.

However, Paul takes it too far into the realms of fantasy. There is only so far to which one can seperate from at least some truths when creating a theory or statement.

polar bears are really dinasaurs diguised as 3 foot high green goblins that wear tutus and live on the moon is a statement that can't be verified.

This statement can actually be verified. The Truth is that "Polar Bear" is a word attributed to a creature that lives around the North Pole. Because this is so, your statement is false.

Its possible that Polar Bear Like creatures are disgused as dinasaurs or even dinosaurs on the moon, but the original statement is false.

the dark side of the moon is green with pink poker dots

This one is more difficult because it is so subjective. Its difficult to even agree for instance that the moon does have a colour that could be considered a fact.

Anyhow, whatever statements you make, it is still vital to have some sort of underlying evidence. It doesn't matter what framework you have used to create a statement, its merely important to present how your subjective statement is closer to the Facts than anothers statement. That is the differents between rational and irrational, it is why the Scientist in your example is rational and you are not. 
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 21:40
good points ovidius...

aster,

the absurdity of "there is no truth that we can be certain of" is the absurdity of relativism.

there are truths that we can know, there are other things that are unclear, but the fact that everything is not perfectly clear doesn't mean nothing is. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>