Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Divine Inconsistencies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Divine Inconsistencies
    Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 12:59
Based on Zagros' question, 'Do babies have souls?', I'd like to learn about religions and their incoherent nature in a broader discussion.

Disclaimer and warning: I do not intend to mock anything, but if you are easily offended, this topic is not for you.

I need a few questions answered to begin with, as there is nothing original in my mind right now:

1. Do all animals have souls? If not, why not? Doesn't that contradict with the simplest biological fact that humans are animals too? What do you think about 'evolution'? Do you also deny 'gravitation'?

2. Dinasours dominated this planet for over 160,000,000 years, whereas humans exist since 200,000 ago and will probably be extinct in near future.

Now really, what was the purpose of dinasours? Did god design them to decorate our museums?

3. Do you really think that all existence depends on our planet? Maybe you should reconsider:

Edited by Feanor - 09-Aug-2007 at 16:25
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 14:45
Of course,let me take a very simple example but true.

If a human had a very comfortable skin on all seasons of the year,would he bother inventin cloth??
If human coul comfortably eat row meat,would he realy bother frying a steak??????
And from the very basic needs of a vulnerable form of life,comes all the inventions of humanity,which separates it from the animal kingdom.In co-habiting with nature animals are much more efective then us,science is still strugling with animal ability to predict the nature and the food areas and all things which concern their own existence much better then humans do.Does that make them somehow more special???No ,as the post above explains it already,we ,all creations on this planet,are to insignificant before the vast solar system of ours,not to talk of our galaxy,not to mention our mega galaxy,and not to mention universe,and how many universes there may be.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 16:10
Well at the end of the day one must remember that all holy books were written with the hand of man so their accuracy, as far as I concerned, cannot be 100% relied upon.

So God gave life, well... for all you know, he may have intended everyting to unfold, biologically, as we understand it.

This thread should be entitiled, "religious inconsistencies" not divine.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 16:51
I'd love to hear some answers from our devout Muslim, Christian, Judaist members, besides 'Humans are simply not supposed to understand these!' thing.

Originally posted by Zagros

This thread should be entitiled, "religious inconsistencies" not divine.

There are non-theistic religions. I don't think a Buddhist can be expected to answer these questions.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 01:59
1) Not specified by religion
2) Not specified by religion
3) I don't even understand what you mean by this question, and what is the point of the relative sizes? All existence doesn't depend on Earth, thats kinda the point.

If I may ask a few questions,
Why do you think religion is supposed to answer ever question?
Why do you ask irrelevant questions?
Why don't you think a Buddhist can be expected to answer these questions?
Why does the loading on logic affect timing?

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 10-Aug-2007 at 02:04
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 05:27
No,but come on,as soon as humans through sciense achive some kind of understanding backed up by hard scientific evidence,the religion is up there try to give answers and explain how it all was said before in their religion.I bet once science finds the cure of cancer the religion will come up tellin us that it already was there in their religion.

Science is the greatest thing that has happend to humanity,it made us self-conscious of our own insignificance.It made us moving in trying to understand our place in THE EVERYTHING,and therefore made us think on how we can continue our reproduction without stupidity,or wether it really matters.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 05:33
Why do you expect religion to answer all the questions?????????

Because religion demands our   ,intelectual,phisical,spiritual freedoms.Thats why it must first satisfy our logical reasoning.Otherwise why does one belive in a religion??????????
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 06:13
Religion is about leading your life decently, piously, and justly. Not about answering every single question humans can come up with. Most of those questions have nothing to do with the goal of religion.

Science is the greatest thing that has happend to humanity,it made us self-conscious of our own insignificance.It made us moving in trying to understand our place in THE EVERYTHING,and therefore made us think on how we can continue our reproduction without stupidity,or wether it really matters.

A trifle arrogant aren't we? You are fully aware that you are using the word science in a completely incorrect context. "Science" is just facts and methodology, not as you make it sound a religion.

As far as I am concerned, theology is a soft science.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 10-Aug-2007 at 06:14
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 06:22
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Religion is about leading your life decently, piously, and justly. Not about answering every single question humans can come up with. Most of those questions have nothing to do with the goal of religion.

A trifle arrogant aren't we? You are fully aware that you are using the word science in a completely incorrect context. "Science" is just facts and methodology, not as you make it sound a religion.

As far as I am concerned, theology is a soft science.

1---- People dont need religion to lead a decent and just life.

2 ---  Fact and Methology of science made us enhance our understanding,this is not exluded by what i have posted already.

3-- Everything i have posted still stands.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 06:34
Originally posted by HEROI

No,but come on,as soon as humans through sciense achive some kind of understanding backed up by hard scientific evidence,the religion is up there try to give answers and explain how it all was said before in their religion.I bet once science finds the cure of cancer the religion will come up tellin us that it already was there in their religion.

Many if not most of Biologists, Physisists and probably Chemists are rather religious. The greatest thing happened to humanity is its (humanity's) existance.

None of so far proposed theories of creation of life is convincing. Evolution theory cannot most critical periods of evolution-- basically all aromorphoses -- transition from procariotes to eucariotes, from unicellular to multicellular, how anymals went to dry land, appearance of birds, appearance of mammalians, etc. etc.etc.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 06:36

2 ---  Fact and Methology of science made us enhance our understanding,this is not exluded by what i have posted already.

Looks like you don't have much clou about methodology of science.

Edited by Anton - 10-Aug-2007 at 06:48
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 06:39

Because religion demands our   ,intelectual,phisical,spiritual freedoms.Thats why it must first satisfy our logical reasoning.Otherwise why does one belive in a religion??????????

Science and Religion do not contradict each other. They are simply different ways of describing and understanding the Universe.  You can be a scientist and believe in God in the same time.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 06:49

1) Not specified by religion
2) Not specified by religion

You can always answer them yourself.

3) I don't even understand what you mean by this question, and what is the point of the relative sizes? All existence doesn't depend on Earth, thats kinda the point.

It's only too clear. According to religion, Earth is located at the center of the universe, whereas moden science proves that it's just an insignificant planet.

Why do you think religion is supposed to answer ever question?

Because it claims to understand god and pretty much everything, right? And it makes demands about my personal life too. It should prove that it's not a league of charlatans and delusional fools.

Why do you ask irrelevant questions?

Irrelevant to what?

Why don't you think a Buddhist can be expected to answer these questions?

As far as I know, Buddhism is nontheistic and does not claim to know about god.

HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 06:55
Anton what you reply to my posts is not something that in my opinion coresponds to what i was try to explain,therefore i am not continuing a debate on which we dont have common ground,such as understanding each other.Feanor for example has posted answeres simmilar to what i have posted,if you dont really get what i am try to say then read what he is try to say,is quite simmilar.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 06:55
Originally posted by Anton

Science and Religion do not contradict each other.

Idealism and god cannot be disproven by epistemological means. God and science do not contradict with each other, agreed, but religion and science do.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 06:55

1. Do all animals have souls? If not, why not? Doesn't that contradict with the simplest biological fact that humans are animals too?

I believe the correct response for the Catholic belief, is that animals do have some sort of soul but they are inferior to human souls, and individual animals will not experience the resurrection that individual humans will. The reasoning behind this is that if animals were given souls equal to humans that would mean things like to kill an animal would be as heinous to kill a human, and it is apparently obvious that humans and animals are not equals at all. Also in the Bible man is charged with being the masters of creation, and thus animals are merely another property of mankind.

What do you think about 'evolution'? Do you also deny 'gravitation'?

Evolutionary theory (and Gravitational theory for that matter) does not contradict the theological teachings of the Catholic church, therefore they are a non-issue as far as religion is concerned. They are merely unimportant scientific theories up to each individual to decide.

2. Dinasours dominated this planet for over 160,000,000 years, whereas humans exist since 200,000 ago and will probably be extinct in near future.

First off I would argue that as the most adaptable multi-cellular organism anything short of the moon crashing into the earth, human beings will be around for a long time, but that is not for this thread. Now onto the question....

Now really, what was the purpose of dinasours? Did god design them to decorate our museums?

There is only one "purpose" in the universe and that purpose is to fulfill God's divine plan for said universe. Perhaps in order for humanity to exist it was necessary for the dinosaurs to exist first. Paleontoligists will certainly tell you that the reason mammals came to dominate the planet was because of the deaths of the dinosaurs, and whose to say that humans wouldn't have the survival instincts they have now, if they hadn't had the inherited racial memories of the rat-like creature we evolved from.

3. Do you really think that all existence depends on our planet?

Do you really have proof there is existence elsewhere? Proof now, not likelihood.....

Now then, I do believe that there is strong suggestion that life may exist elsewhere in space, but their existence (and salvation) is as of now independent of ours. 

To go into detail, the Christian religion says that only man fell into sin and thus only man required God's salvation. However this raises certain theological issues with say alien intelligence. Do aliens have souls? If so are they human or animal souls? If they are human souls do they require salvation? If animal does this mean we are allowed to subjugate and dominate them? And not to get into the myriad of relatively minor theological concerns, such as would a christian woman be allowed to marry a christian alien even though they are of vastly different species. On these things though religion has a "wait and see" policy. If it is found we are not alone I believe that Vatican officials have said that there would be an Ecumenical council to clarify the issue.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 06:59
Originally posted by Anton

Science and Religion do not contradict each other. They are simply different ways of describing and understanding the Universe.  You can be a scientist and believe in God in the same time.

Take a look at this,your reply has no conction to what i have posted.I have answered a questin before put foward by another member.And my answer is a self-evident fact,which has absolutely nothing to do with what you have posted.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 07:02
Originally posted by Feanor

You can always answer them yourself.

Animals have souls to me.

It's only too clear. According to religion, Earth is located at the center of the universe, whereas moden science proves that it's just an insignificant planet.

This is not according to religion but according to official Church.

As far as I know, Buddhism is nontheistic and does not claim to know about god.

You are wrong.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 07:06

Actually......according to Big Bang Theory there is no "center of the universe" since all points in space are equidistant from the singular point of creation due to expansion theory. Therefore it is just as logical and correct to say earth is the center of the universe as it is to say Alpha Centauri is the center of the universe.

And I wouldn't say science considers earth an "insignificant planet" after all, every scientist that we know of has an earth-bias.

God and science do not contradict with each other, agreed, but religion and science do.

Says who? There are many religions in this world that do not contradict the majority if at all any of science. It is the perception of others that inconsistencies are found. Although I will tell you that certain religious teachings such as those held by young earth Creationists most certainly must hold non-conventional scientific views.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 07:08

Anton what you reply to my posts is not something that in my opinion coresponds to what i was try to explain,therefore i am not continuing a debate on which we dont have common ground,such as understanding each other.Feanor for example has posted answeres simmilar to what i have posted,if you dont really get what i am try to say then read what he is try to say,is quite simmilar.

I don't know what is your ground but I studied Biology and got PhD in this field. I was particularly interested in creation of life and do not find scientific explanation convincing. As many of my colleagues by the way. Do not try to scare me with your refusal to debate.  Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>