Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For you religious nuts: Do babies have souls?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For you religious nuts: Do babies have souls?
    Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 07:20
Originally posted by HEROI

I did not say that babies have no brain or learning ability.What i meant was self-cousiousness which they certanly dont have when they are born and they continue developing it while growing up and become aware of themselves.

How can one learn to do something without bieng aware of your environment and your existence in it as a seperate entity? One cannot learn to crawl to mummy without first bieng aware that there is a seperate entity, you want to get to the seperate entity and you can do this by pushing limbs over which your mind has control against the floor. Please note the first post mentioned consciusness not self consciusness anyway. please if you can provide evidence or reasoning for your assertion that babies can not be self-conscious.

Originally posted by HEROI

I dont expect others to agree with me on that,cause we might end up in a very deep philosophical debate.And we certanly would not agree then,since being an atheist,ones mind is open to all posibilities,and we have to agree that when it comes to beliving in god,one as a human being dont really have to bother making some kind of decisions,they are made for one,one only have to jump at their defence,in a different kind of reasoning then that of an atheist.

"being an atheist,ones mind is open to all posibilities," by definition that can not be the case an Athiest by his/she/eunuch's very nature can not be open to the possibility of a god or for that matter many gods.

Originally posted by Zagros

Should I demand proof?

As far as I am aware there is no evidence for the existence of heaven so for the purpose of this thread I was under the impression that its existence was assumed. No proof can be provided merely the views of varius "holy" books etc.

You're completely misconstruing what I said - I stated that a baby does not have a consciousness beyond that of crying, eating and pooing and judging by Seko's posty it appears that i am 100% spot on. The point is, that if a baby dies within the first year, its soul will be of no more significance than that of a new born kitten.

Crying, eating and sleeping are some of the only things a newborn child is physically able to do. Furtheremore How do you know that (don't say you observed it, you haven't) babies do not have a consciusness beyond that, consiusness is not determined by knowledge or moter skills anyway. Besides which the Human brain is not comparable with the brains of a Kitten at any point.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 09:40
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Originally posted by Seko

Not really. Outdated classical style interpretation. Since then a few revised translations from others are more consistent with modern linguistics.

I am highly suspicious of anyone who calls themselves "Progressive" or "Reformist". To me it suggests that they may not be able to stand up to extensive questioning, so they have to qualify themselves. With classical styles as you put it, you know your what getting is cold hard conservatism untouched by political correctness - well, political correctness of this century at least, but it is easier to adjust for 1930s thinking in my opinion.
The one on amazon doesn't even say who the translator is.

Quite the opposite. The authors are constantly involved in a forum where they field questions on a regular basis.

I am highly suspiscious of classical interpretations that succumb to the ethnocentricities and bias of a bygone era. 

The translators are in the following link. An accompanying post of the difficulty in bringing it to publication is given (the political pressure in not bringing it out is writtien in the quote at the bottom). Conservatives do not like to be challenged. That is why they do not want the 'interpretation' of the Qu'ran updated:

Edited by Seko - 11-Aug-2007 at 10:43
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 18:26
Have you read those translations Seko? and if so, would you provide an instance where they'd have a significantly different translation of a text compared to another version.

Thank you.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 05:51
I bought M.A.S> Abdel Saleem's Oxford translation , I just finished reading the introduction and am on the second Sura.

I really like this one because it adds context to each Sura, for example: the verse, "slay them wherever you find them" has been deliberately or blindly miscontrued by Islamophobes and munafiqun as an edict to kill non-muslims everywhere when in fact this revelation came after the persecution of the Muslims by the Meccans as a right of self defence and refers exlusively to those who would persecute and kill Muslims.  The Qur'an is expliit in stating that Muslims may only fight in self defence or when answering the cry of help of the oppressed.

Another aspect which this translation cleared up for me was this thing about always fearing God.  why should god be feared, I always thought?  Well in the original Arabic, apparently it does not mean fear as such - but to always be mindful of God and as such don't do anything that would be wrong by him.

I have to say, that it is really refreshing reading the Qur'an for the first time after all of the nonsense broadcast by Western hate propaganda on a daily basis.

Before I purchased this translation, I compared several and found a few of the same verses and compared them.  Another notable one was by Abdullah Yusef Ali, but Haleem's topped it by a long way.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 12:47
Originally posted by Super Goat (^_^)

Have you read those translations Seko? and if so, would you provide an instance where they'd have a significantly different translation of a text compared to another version.

Thank you.

Yes to both.

The Mesaj is in Turkish though. For compaison I'll come up with examples in the near future.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 23:20
Lost my post. So this is a summerised version.

While I am not saying that the Reformist and Progressive Translations are incorrect, I think that by their own admission they have sacrificed accuracy in favour of political correctness. Not only that, but making the English sound more pleasant to the ears they may, unwittingly, be missing the point. That was the case for one of these reformist translations I read a few surahs from.
Although no-one can translate free from their own personal bias, at least we can be sure that Ali & Pickthall are free from political bias.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 07:12
Is the soul of a baby different from the soul of an adult?
When growing, a person's soul grows also? How?
What's the difference between the soul of a living person and the soul of a dead one?
Does my dog has a soul? I would like to meet him in the afterlife.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 08:40
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Lost my post. So this is a summerised version.

While I am not saying that the Reformist and Progressive Translations are incorrect, I think that by their own admission they have sacrificed accuracy in favour of political correctness. Not only that, but making the English sound more pleasant to the ears they may, unwittingly, be missing the point. That was the case for one of these reformist translations I read a few surahs from.
Although no-one can translate free from their own personal bias, at least we can be sure that Ali & Pickthall are free from political bias.

Huh? Accuracy in favor of political correctness? I must have missed that admission. Would you share that with us? Omar, these are interpretatioins and a few tafsirs. It's in English for God's sake. Do you think the old english style of Ali is more pleasant to your ears? Not miine. And lastly Ali and Pickthall were not free of bias.  What gave you that impression?

• The Reformist Translation of the Quran offers a non-sexist understanding of the divine text; it is the result of collaboration between three translators, two men and a woman.
  • It explicitly rejects the right of the clergy to determine the likely meaning of disputed passages.
  • It uses logic and the language of the Quran itself as the ultimate authority in determining likely meanings, rather than ancient scholarly interpretations rooted in patriarchal hierarchies.
  • It offers extensive cross-referencing to the Bible and provides arguments on numerous philosophical and scientific issues.
  • It is God's message for those who prefer reason over blind faith, for those who seek peace and ultimate freedom by submitting themselves to the Truth alone.
  • Sorry for the interruption. We'll get back to the topic on baby souls one of these days.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
    King
    King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 05:28
    Huh? Accuracy in favor of political correctness? I must have missed that admission. Would you share that with us? Omar, these are interpretatioins and a few tafsirs. It's in English for God's sake. Do you think the old english style of Ali is more pleasant to your ears? Not miine. And lastly Ali and Pickthall were not free of bias.  What gave you that impression?

No they are not free from their own biases. But they didn't set out to do a "Reformist Translation", they set out to do an accurate one, and are thus not worried about things such as "a non-sexist understanding".
    You'd actually be hard pushed to show much sexism in Ali's work anyway.

As for the underlined section, any reasonable translation will use the logic of the Quran as the ultimate authority, although there really isn't anything wrong with using our ancient patriarchal scholars opinions as an aid. They are just as good as the next mans.
    Do you think the old english style of Ali is more pleasant to your ears?

Actually yes, I do like that to be honest. But I can see that type of King James English being a tad difficult to understand for most people.
    Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
    Pretorian
    Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 00:40
    I guess this won't be settled unless we get down to some real examples and comparisons of the said texts.
    TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
    AE Moderator
    AE Moderator
    Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2012 at 11:43

So, we are traditionally led to believe that when we die we either go to heaven or hell or some such place... though in what state? As a consciousness?  Well, most cultists would contend that we would either descend or ascend in that state.  So what about babies?  They have no consciousness beyond that encompassing feeding, pooing, sleeping, feeding, pooing and sleeping.  Are they doomed to spend eternity in such a state? Without knowing wtf is going on... ever?

I'm not going to really address this from a religious point of view because I'm not religious, but why would a baby be doomed? If it's living in an innocent state what is it seeking which would change that state of innocence? If the baby knows no other way would it even feel doomed? 

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
    Arab View Drop Down
    Pretorian
    Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2012 at 14:48
    In Islam, all inhabitants of heaven will be 33 years old.
    medenaywe View Drop Down
    AE Moderator
    AE Moderator
    Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2012 at 14:57
    Why 33,please explain?
    Arab View Drop Down
    Pretorian
    Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2012 at 15:07
    Because it was at that age that Jesus ascended to heaven. I guess if a baby died then in heaven he would appear as he would have had he lived to age 33, but who knows.
    medenaywe View Drop Down
    AE Moderator
    AE Moderator
    Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2012 at 15:48
    How old was the Prophet when he die?
    Arab View Drop Down
    Pretorian
    Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2012 at 16:06
    63...and just a fun fact, the creases on your hands form a "81" and "18" in Arabic, which when subtracted becomes 63, the age of the prophet... a coincidence in my opinion. 
    medenaywe View Drop Down
    AE Moderator
    AE Moderator
    Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2012 at 16:21
    For us maybe,but ancient writers used it very well!Post me link of Arabic with Latin letters and good phonetics!Our,Hebrew and Your language have to have same roots&Close!Ancient Egyptian.
    Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
    Emperor
    Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2012 at 23:31
    In response to the original question....

Do wild bears shit in the woods?
    If you know the answer then you have the answer to both.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
    AE Moderator
    AE Moderator
    Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 01:08
    They use the toilet CV,long time ago!Ecology comes from animals,they alarm us.Big smile
    Leroy View Drop Down
    Knight
    Knight

Quote Leroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2012 at 15:06

For you religious nuts: Do babies have souls?

So, we are traditionally led to believe that when we die we either go to heaven or hell or some such place... though in what state? As a consciousness?  Well, most cultists would contend that we would either descend or ascend in that state.  So what about babies?  They have no consciousness beyond that encompassing feeding, pooing, sleeping, feeding, pooing and sleeping.  Are they doomed to spend eternity in such a state? Without knowing wtf is going on... ever?

Catholic answer: any animated being has a soul (Latin: anima). This includes plants and animals (including humans and ... babies). This is consistent with Aristotle's definition of the soul: the first entelechy of a physical organized body potentially possessing life.

We belief that the human intellect is incorporeal. This seems to contradict the fact that brain scans show that our mental states correspond with our neural brain patterns. However we have a dualistic view of consciousness. This means that we belief that our mental consciousness is structurally associated with states of our brain.

A Dutch philosopher explained it with the following analogy. A quantity of water may have a specific spatial form when poured in a cup. Now let's assume that the cup is made of flexible pliable material and can therefore change shape. The water in the cup will of course also change shape. Conversely, every transformation of the water must be accompanied by a structurally similar change in shape of the cup. The shape of the water would then correspond with the shape of the cup. It does not follow however that the water and the cup are identical. It also does not follow that the water depends for its existence on the cup.

So your question about consciousness is not really a problem for Catholic beliefs (however nutty they may be).

By the way, contrary to popular belief, limbo is not and has never been a Catholic doctrine. The general consensus is that infants go to heaven.

Edited by Leroy - 29-Mar-2012 at 15:07
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>