Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Killer Whales (Orcas)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killer Whales (Orcas)
    Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 06:27
This is the video Dolphin is referring to:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-I40PpmOY4

Note that it may disturb some viewers...I'm just putting that in as a legality. It is footage of a Sea World staff member (not a trainer - an office worker/secretary) riding a Killer Whale. The beast then turns on her and drags her helplessly around the pool. She survives.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 06:50
God, I thought it was a little girl, she must be young looking. The worst thing was that the comments in youtube were like, glad he bit her, its her fault, stupid cow etc etc, but it really wasnt her fault, she was under the impression it was safe from the trainers.

Splat

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 07:05
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 07:10
I watched the show (my speakers are down so I didn't hear the sound) but I saw the whale throw her off, she tried to climb back on again so the whale didn't "turn on her" it got the impression she wanted to play and got somewhat over-excited.  If the whale hadn't been playing it would have bitten her leg off, but only gave her a gentle nip as if saying let's do it again! To me the animal language is quite obvious in this scene.
elenos
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 07:11
Originally posted by Knights

And again...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t0J9URHKNWo
Owned.

That one's bad, Knights, BAAAD.  LOL

So are orcas top of the entire ocean food chain??

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 07:29
The whale was trying to find out more about those strange creatures, were they a bird or fish or log of wood? Let's swamp the floating critter and find out! It wouldn't be able to sort out the man from the boat and sees man and kayak as one thing unless trained. 
elenos
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 08:15
To answer Dolphin's question, realistically, Orcas are the top of the oceanic natural food chain. I include "natural" because it is indeed Humans that are at the apex of any food web. Sperm Whales are larger predators than Orcas, but are only known to prey upon things like squid. 
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 01:29

Ever since sea world with Shamu (sp?) and the movie free willy I have loved this animals.  One of my favorite creatures.  The way they beach themselves when hunting for seals is incredible. 

I saw part of a program on them the other day on PBS; the part I saw was about a 40 year old female and her offspring, one of them got lost while playing and started to call out in duress, the others instantly wheeled about (they had gone like a mile or two ahead) and came back right toward the lost one.  What I found interesting is that the narrator said how they will stay where they are when lost and keep crying out until the pod locates them.  It is amazing how similar that is compared to humans. 

Just fascinating.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 03:24
Very devoted to their young aren't they? A very real reminder of ourselves in one aspect.

Upon searching for videos on these regal ocean cruisers, I came across these few. The first is astounding, an in reference to Ikki's topic, show a real development of intraspecific culture, between populations. The method by which the Orcas attain the seal is amazing enough, but the end is even more so. Once you've watched the video I'll share something regarding the ending - not to spoil it.

Smart Orcas

This second one shows how the Orcas really are the top of the natural oceanic food chain:

Orca vs. Great White Shark
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 17:30
That first video was just amazing!  I have seen similar behavior before, the orcas will play with seals or penguins, or use them for teaching aids.  But, I have never seen them do anything like that, and look how effective it was!  Just amazing.  People have always said that whales were incredibly intelligent creatures, that right there is proof of it.

That second video was impressive, I have always wanted to see an orca attack a great white shark.  Couldn't really see what happened there, except the orca just owned that shark.  Apparently it was one of the killer whales that attacked a grey whale calf which I remember seeing on the discovery channel.

Thanks for the links.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 09:30
I hadn't known or seen the wave technique prior to watching this video either. Though, I did know about the technique of spyhopping then bumping/tilting the ice flows from beneath - but I can't find a video of it! They are just so intelligent, as you said!
It's a pity you couldn't get the whole picture in the shark vs. orca video, but the point it is making is clear.
Typically, Orcas are surface/near surface hunters, but do you think that any pods have developed deep water hunting methods? I'm sure they would be capable, but whether it would be worth it...?
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 03:58
Hmm, thinking of what orcas eat I would say its possible.  With their ability to learn and adapt to the environment and their prey I wouldn't put it past them.  Your point about it being worth it is the key, I am tempted to say if open ocean hunting were to be very fruitful then they would definitely learn it.  If they have learned to hunt on the open seas my guess would be it is for other whales, taking that into consideration I think it would depend on migration routes of the prey whales and also the orcas and whether they would cross paths for it to work.

In regards to the video with the great white it certainly was clear, god that shark didn't stand a chance!  It is easy to forget how big and powerful those orcas can be.  Watching just one of them utterly destroy a great white is sombering to say the least.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12