Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Pope: A Discussion of the Roman Primacy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Pope: A Discussion of the Roman Primacy
    Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 19:45
Divine inspiration does not necessarily imply permanent arrangement.

Than it would not be as solemn as Paul stated what he stated. Remember his words: "The one who worked in me..."

God has an absolute majesty, he is not just a simple being.

1) This further undermines your argument: perhaps the youngest should be first because he is conventionally considered, as you said, last in Near East culture.

2) Personality and experience are often reason people choose representative, without the chosen person accepting the role out of pride.

1. This is a sophism and even (no ofence) a pervert idea. The virtue of humility is not irational and is not contrary to the common moral.

2. You see the things like the apostles were a team of workmen. The values of intelligence or experience were null for the disciples of Jesus. It was a spiritual brotherhood and their head was being Jesus, not some of them.

Unless I've misunderstood your argument, it appears that you mentioned Philip because you want to say that Peter's representative role is limited to Matthew 16. That means you're now saying that Peter is not always the established representative.

Peter was not the representative but in some discutions or situations he was acting as a leader, especialy after the Ressurection.

You will need to support your theory that Clement is a priest rather than a bishop; in light of all the documentary evidence to the contrary, we must interpret his letter in the context of the accepted historical narrative which presumes his episcopal status. Once again, if you wish to question this narrative, you must provide documentary evidence.

At the church of Corinth apeared troubles and one of the priests of Rome, the most representative (probably) sent a letter to Corinthians. If he would have been a bishop he would have mentioned this.

The investment of a bishop by the apostles was a clear act, assuming the ritual of puting the hands.

And by the way, the Apostolate and Bishopry were two different tasks in the early Church. The apostles were not bishops and the bishops were not apostles.

Peter could not have been bishop and to think that the two were at Rome and Peter was the bishop of Paul is also hilarious.

1. As your article notes, the successors to Peter were entrusted with the episcopate. I don't really see why you linked to it; it would appear to refute your assertion that Clement was not, indeed, a bishop. You may wish to read it again.

2. If you consider the works of Irenaeus to be fantasy, then why not those of Ignatius, which represent an account of the ancient, episcopal nature of the Church, and which represent early documentation of Eastern ecclesiology?

1. That web page is reflecting the Roman-Catholic claims. I gived the link because is presenting more clear the list of the twelve bishops Irenaeus has put on list.

2. There is not a rule. If Irenaeus was having the inclination to fabultion and exageration, is not a rule that all the Fathers were being the same. About Ignatius I know almost nothing, but from the little I have read it seems he was not having that sort of inclination.

The episcopal nature of the church in Rome is contradicted even by Ignatius, as I quoted when I sayed about the fact that Rome hasn't bishop until the half of the second century.

Not all the churches were having bishop.

First, there is a theology of the keys in Orthodoxy; you will notice Peter depicted with them in iconography. Second, you are confusing the more general power--that to bind and loose--with the more specific Petrine comission, of which the keys represent a part.

There is not a special theology about Peter's difference to the other apostles in Orthodoxy.

The keys are the gift promised to all the apostles. In Matthew 18: 18 Jesus says to the apostles:

Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

The correct, Orthodox interpretation is that the keys are bestowed upon Peter as recognition that he is a source of unity in the early Church; his position, however, is derived not from his person but from his confession of faith. This is what is meant by the "keys." You might look to Cyprian of Carthage's On the Unity of the Church if you wish to learn more.

Is the first time I heard about such thing. Anyway, it is not true, because we don't see at Paul or other figures that Peter was considered a source of unity. Is something that started from the (wrong) interpretation of that verse in Matthew and this is all.

What Cyprian says are speculations.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2007 at 00:24
Originally posted by Menumorut

2. There is not a rule. If Irenaeus was having the inclination to fabultion and exageration, is not a rule that all the Fathers were being the same. About Ignatius I know almost nothing, but from the little I have read it seems he was not having that sort of inclination.

The episcopal nature of the church in Rome is contradicted even by Ignatius, as I quoted when I sayed about the fact that Rome hasn't bishop until the half of the second century.

Not all the churches were having bishop.

The episcopal nature of the Church is well attested to, both by the Fathers and the Scriptures. As noted above, the collective government of the Roman Church does not preclude the possibility of a bishop.

There is not a special theology about Peter's difference to the other apostles in Orthodoxy.

The keys are the gift promised to all the apostles. In Matthew 18: 18 Jesus says to the apostles:

Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Ok, so you have repeated yourself without offering any justification for your position or addressing any of the issues raised above. Bravo. You will forgive me if I refer you back to my outline of the theology of the "keys" earlier in this thread.

Is the first time I heard about such thing. Anyway, it is not true, because we don't see at Paul or other figures that Peter was considered a source of unity. Is something that started from the (wrong) interpretation of that verse in Matthew and this is all.

Well, it is not the first time such a thing has been bandied about. And as I have stated above, this anti-Petrine misinterpretation is just as egregious as that of the most misinformed papal apologist.

What Cyprian says are speculations.

Let us try this then. Why don't you explain to me precisely what about Cyprian's statements are speculation, and why you have arrived at that conclusion. Obviously you are intimately familiar with the text, if you are willing to treat it so dismissively. Why don't you tell me what you find particularly speculative and unfounded about On the Unity of the Church, Ch. 4, hm?

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 18-Sep-2007 at 00:28
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2007 at 02:32
The episcopal nature of the Church is well attested to, both by the Fathers and the Scriptures. As noted above, the collective government of the Roman Church does not preclude the possibility of a bishop.

The differentiation of the bishop of the priest was not yet manifested at the churches in Rome and Corinth. Look how Clement speaks:

CHAPTER 42 -- THE ORDER OF MINISTERS IN THE CHURCH.

The apostles have preached the Gospel to us from the Lord Jesus Christ; Jesus Christ [has done sol from God. Christ therefore was sent forth by God, and the apostles by Christ. Both these appointments, then, were made in an orderly way, according to the will of God. Having therefore received their orders, and being fully assured by the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, and established in the word of God, with full assurance of the Holy Ghost, they went forth proclaiming that the kingdom of God was at hand. And thus preaching through countries and cities, they appointed the first-fruits [of their labours], having first proved them by the Spirit, to be bishops and deacons of those who should afterwards believe. Nor was this any new thing, since indeed many ages before it was written concerning bishops and deacons. For thus says the Scripture a certain place, "I will appoint their bishops s in righteousness, and their deacons in faith."

CHAPTER 44 -- THE ORDINANCES OF THE APOSTLES, THAT THERE MIGHT BE NO CONTENTION RESPECTING THE PRIESTLY OFFICE.

Our apostles also knew, through our Lord Jesus Christ, and there would be strife on account of the office of the episcopate. For this reason, therefore, inasmuch as they had obtained a perfect fore-knowledge of this, they appointed those [ministers] already mentioned, and afterwards gave instructions, that when these should fall asleep, other approved men should succeed them in their ministry. We are of opinion, therefore, that those appointed by them, or afterwards by other eminent men, with the consent of the whole Church, and who have blame-lessly served the flock of Christ in a humble, peaceable, and disinterested spirit, and have for a long time possessed the good opinion of all, cannot be justly dismissed from the ministry. For our sin will not be small, if we eject from the episcopate those who have blamelessly and holily fulfilled its duties. Blessed are those presbyters who, having finished their course before now, have obtained a fruitful and perfect departure [from this world]; for they have no fear lest any one deprive them of the place now appointed them. But we see that you have removed some men of excellent behaviour from the ministry, which they fulfilled blamelessly and with honour.

In the Eastern churches such differentiation may have existed, Ignatius in his letter to Eastern churches is speaking about the bishops of the cities.

But in Clement's time, there was not a superior of the local church at Rome and Corinth. We see that the presbyters in Corinth were deposed by the whole church, not by a bishop, and this was the reason for Clement sending the epistle. Is hard to believe that Corinth was having a bishop, a superior of that church and Clement doesn't refer to that.

Clement speaks about bishops only on the ground of what he has had read in Paul's epistles. And he speaks from memory, as we see from the mistake he makes, saying that in the epistle to the Corinthians Paul told them about him, Cephas and Apollos, when in reality Paul writen only about him and Apollos (chapter 47).

Let us try this then. Why don't you explain to me precisely what about Cyprian's statements are speculation, and why you have arrived at that conclusion. Obviously you are intimately familiar with the text, if you are willing to treat it so dismissively. Why don't you tell me what you find particularly speculative and unfounded about On the Unity of the Church, Ch. 4, hm?

There is not a unitary theology. There are some disparate speculations made by a Father or other. What Cyprian says is not found at other Fathers (Origen is not a Father but a heretic). More common was to later Fathers, (e.g.: Maximus the Confessor) to elogiate the bishopry of Rome on the basis of the Petrine pretended superiority. But all these theories are grounded only on the interpretation of a verse in the gospel of Matthew, interpretation which is wrong because, I repeat, few days later (chapter 18) Jesus says that all the apostles will receive the power to bind and loose and after Ressurection (John 20: 22) He fulfill his promise.

But in an Orthodox Catechism you cann't find that Peter has a special atribution.

You try to built an idea for sustaining your theory about Peter's speacial role. You sayed earlier

Peter's leadership role is outlined clearly in the Matthean passage where Christ speaks of "the keys of the kingdom of heaven," which represent a special authority given to the Apostle Peter. Peter's leadership role consists of being a sort of spokesperson for the Apostles, and a catalyst around which consensus can be formed.

which is wrong, because Jesus says clearly that the keys are a symbolic speaking about the power to bind and loose:

I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. 14 Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

and then you say

You might look to Cyprian of Carthage's On the Unity of the Church if you wish to learn more. Origen's Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew also provides us with an orthodox perspective, in that it links the gift of the keys with Peter's confession, and delineates between it and the later, more general gift to the Apostles.

Is obvious that you try to argue it was a point of faith that Peter was the catalyst. And is a strange idea too, this throws us in a sort of a theory about Christians which have some personal attributes in the plan of God. Is a depersonalizing theory and is not found anywhere in the books of New Testament.

These theories with Peter-catalyst were not present at other Fathers (than Cyprian and Origen) and much (most) of Origen theories are heretical or simple speculations.

Edited by Menumorut - 18-Sep-2007 at 02:44
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2007 at 11:34

The differentiation of the bishop of the priest was not yet manifested at the churches in Rome and Corinth. Look how Clement speaks:

Already addressed above. For further reference on the development of the episcopal role and the beginnings of differentiation between the episkopoi and the other orders of clegry, see I Tim 3: 1-13, 4: 14, 5:17 ; Ignatius (Ep. to the Ephesians, to the Magnesians, to the Trallians, to the Philadelphians, to the Smyrneans, and to Polycarp). You seem to be taking what is commonly known to be the history of the Roman Church (and the Churches of the West), where the development of the episcopal office was more gradual, and distorting it to fit the preconception that "the Church in the West was not hierarchical."

In the Eastern churches such differentiation may have existed, Ignatius in his letter to Eastern churches is speaking about the bishops of the cities.

But in Clement's time, there was not a superior of the local church at Rome and Corinth. We see that the presbyters in Corinth were deposed by the whole church, not by a bishop, and this was the reason for Clement sending the epistle. Is hard to believe that Corinth was having a bishop, a superior of that church and Clement doesn't refer to that.

You are partially correct; Clement is writing his letter to reprove presbyters who have deposed those first among them. He uses the terms "presbyter" and "bishop" interchangably because in some areas of the early Church--and particularly in the West--the duties of both offices were ill-defined; the terms were, in fact, largely synonomous. As we have noted above, the development of the episcopal office in the west--which was, on the whole, missionary territory long after the Church had been well-established in the East--was gradual. Still, the office was developing, and a definite episcopal concept existed; indeed some wonder that the individual parishes were not "episcopalized."

Here I wish to note one issue raised by this letter where you have touched on the truth, and then obscured it by misinterpretation. Yes, the episcopal office was something separate from the Apostolic office; the episcopal office was a continuation of the Apostolic office. As Clement notes, the Apostles appointed leaders of individual churches to succeed them, and to carry on their ministry. It is in this sense that we, as Orthodox Christians, understand "Apostolic Succession."

Anyway, all that really needs to be said is that Clement, being of the generation of Christians which succeeded the Apostles, was using the term "bishop" in a manner consistent with its Scriptural foundation.

Clement speaks about bishops only on the ground of what he has had read in Paul's epistles. And he speaks from memory, as we see from the mistake he makes, saying that in the epistle to the Corinthians Paul told them about him, Cephas and Apollos, when in reality Paul writen only about him and Apollos (chapter 47).

I am afraid--and it is really no surprise--that it is not the holy father Clement who is making a mistake, but you. Paul clearly speaks of himself, Cephas, and Apollos. Read I Corinthians again, if you please:

For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe's household, that there are contentions among you. Now I say this, that each of you says, "I am of Paul," or "I am of Apollos," or "I am of Cephas," or "I am of Christ." [I Cor 1: 11-12]

I am guessing that you overlooked this and skipped straight to I Cor. 3, where Paul speaks directly only of himself and Apollos--although Peter and other church leaders could certainly be included by implication. You see, both Paul and Clement are speaking against discord and underlying the need for unity; they are speaking against contention based upon human loyalties.

I think this mistake of yours, more than anything else, demonstrates incontrovertibly that if we think we have found error with something a certain father wrote concerning the early Church, it is our duty to thoroughly examine the documentary evidence before assuming that we are in the right.

There is not a unitary theology. There are some disparate speculations made by a Father or other. What Cyprian says is not found at other Fathers (Origen is not a Father but a heretic). More common was to later Fathers, (e.g.: Maximus the Confessor) to elogiate the bishopry of Rome on the basis of the Petrine pretended superiority. But all these theories are grounded only on the interpretation of a verse in the gospel of Matthew, interpretation which is wrong because, I repeat, few days later (chapter 18) Jesus says that all the apostles will receive the power to bind and loose and after Ressurection (John 20: 22) He fulfill his promise.

First on the subject of Origen (and an interesting subject it is Wink). While Origen was indeed anathematized posthumously by the Fifth Ecumenical Council, we cannot forget that the early Church owed much to him. Indeed many of the early fathers idolized him, foremost among them Basil the Great, Gregory of Nazianzos, and Gregory of Nyssa. He is in a special class; he is a father, not a saint. This is evidenced by a particularly rare icon of "Origen Teaching the Saints," whereing Origen is depicted haloless, instructing an assemblage of haloed saints. That said, we must remember that Origen was anathematized for his views concerning apocatastasis, the pre-existence of the soul, and certain other positions held by those calling themselves "Origenists" ; it would be a great disservice to ignore his orthodox views, which provided a foundation for early patristic theology.

Maximus the Confessor represents an interesting case as well. Many of the quotes attributed to him are derived from later western forgeries, and while he may have possessed a semi-maximalist *ahem* view of the position of the bishop of Rome, the opinion of one father is not binding in light of so much contradictory patristic evidence.

As for your concerns regarding the interpretation of Matthew 16 and 18, I have already addressed them.

Is obvious that you try to argue it was a point of faith that Peter was the catalyst. And is a strange idea too, this throws us in a sort of a theory about Christians which have some personal attributes in the plan of God. Is a depersonalizing theory and is not found anywhere in the books of New Testament.

The question actually deals with the issue of the "Rock" upon which the Church is built, and from which Peter takes his name. This "Rock" is seen by the fathers alternately as either a) Christ (obvious), b) Peter (by virtue of his confession of the true Rock that is Christ), or c) the confession of Peter (of the true Rock that is Christ). Your minimalistic and, frankly, misleading interpretation of the Matthean passages, done outside of the context of the faith and interpretations held by the early fathers, is dangerously inadequate. Look to the sources; it really is a fascinating study.

These theories with Peter-catalyst were not present at other Fathers (than Cyprian and Origen) and much (most) of Origen theories are heretical or simple speculations.

Really? Really? Would you like me to present a fraction of the well-nigh limitless documentary evidence to the contrary?

Just to get this straight, you are actually arguing that fathers other than Cyprian and Origen did not possess an idea of Peter as the catalyst? While I am pressed for energy, I would be willing to do so, pending your request. Really, all you would need to do is study Patristic interpretations of Matthew 16; it isn't as if the information would be difficult to find.

As for your concerns about the value of Origen in this matter, we have already addressed them.

-Akolouthos

P.S. Just to make myself perfectly clear, if you are unable to find the opinions of the fathers regarding Peter, Peter's confession, and Christ as catalysts of unity in the Church, I would be more than happy to help you.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2007 at 14:00
You seem to be taking what is commonly known to be the history of the Roman Church (and the Churches of the West), where the development of the episcopal office was more gradual, and distorting it to fit the preconception that "the Church in the West was not hierarchical."

As I sayed, I believe that until ~130 AD the Church of Rome was not having a unique representant, what we call a bishop. But from Anicetus (155-165) onward Rome was having bishop.

You are partially correct; Clement is writing his letter to reprove presbyters who have deposed those first among them. He uses the terms "presbyter" and "bishop" interchangably because in some areas of the early Church--and particularly in the West--the duties of both offices were ill-defined; the terms were, in fact, largely synonomous. As we have noted above, the development of the episcopal office in the west--which was, on the whole, missionary territory long after the Church had been well-established in the East--was gradual. Still, the office was developing, and a definite episcopal concept existed; indeed some wonder that the individual parishes were not "episcopalized."

Let's refer to functions, not to words, for avoiding the confussion between what we understand by bishop and episcopacy and what the apostles and the Church was understanding by that in the beggining of its history.

The apostles ordered simple priests and diacons. It was not other hierarchy than that between the two categories. Later, appeared a representant of the Church of each important town and appeared the difference between bishop and priest.

At the beginning and as late as Clement's time (as we see in his epistle) the ordering of a priest and his deposition was made usualy by the college of the other priests but in some cases by some not priest but eminent people of the community.

There are not other way in which the epistle of Clement can be interpeted.

Yes, the episcopal office was something separate from the Apostolic office; the episcopal office was a continuation of the Apostolic office. As Clement notes, the Apostles appointed leaders of individual churches to succeed them, and to carry on their ministry. It is in this sense that we, as Orthodox Christians, understand "Apostolic Succession."

You interpret wrongly what Clement says. He says that the apostles And thus preaching through countries and cities, they appointed the first-fruits, having first proved them by the Spirit, to be bishops and deacons of those who should afterwards believe..

There was not a representant of the apostles else than the priest, as is today in the Church. There was not a third category.

So, there is not any leader appointed by the apostles, just the priests who received from the apostles the power gived them by Jesus.

Anyway, all that really needs to be said is that Clement, being of the generation of Christians which succeeded the Apostles, was using the term "bishop" in a manner consistent with its Scriptural foundation.

Actualy, Clement was contemporary of the apostles. His epistle is dated between 70 and 96.

You are right that he has the same use of the words as in Scripture: bishop, priest, presbyter, episcopacy were refering to priesthood, not to what we call today bishop.

I think this mistake of yours, more than anything else, demonstrates incontrovertibly that if we think we have found error with something a certain father wrote concerning the early Church, it is our duty to thoroughly examine the documentary evidence before assuming that we are in the right.

No, is not what I think. I think each man should ground his/her belief not on ideas or information but on asking God what he/she should do.

On this topic, I just debate some confussions, mistakes and wrong traditions.

What you say about my mistake doesn't eliminate the confussion made by Dionysius, who shows that Corinthian church (or only Dionysius) taking the epistle of Paul and maybe that of Clement has got to assert that Peter was at Corinth and even founded and organized the church.

Because a correct interpretation of Paul's epistle shows he speaks about some parties in Corinth, of which one was of Jesus, which surely wasn't at Corinth.

irst on the subject of Origen (and an interesting subject it is Wink). While Origen was indeed anathematized posthumously by the Fifth Ecumenical Council, we cannot forget that the early Church owed much to him. Indeed many of the early fathers idolized him, foremost among them Basil the Great, Gregory of Nazianzos, and Gregory of Nyssa. He is in a special class; he is a father, not a saint. This is evidenced by a particularly rare icon of "Origen Teaching the Saints," whereing Origen is depicted haloless, instructing an assemblage of haloed saints. That said, we must remember that Origen was anathematized for his views concerning apocatastasis, the pre-existence of the soul, and certain other positions held by those calling themselves "Origenists" ; it would be a great disservice to ignore his orthodox views, which provided a foundation for early patristic theology.

When I sayed Origen is heretic I was not refering (only) to his condemnation by the Church but to his spirit and teaching which are the emanation of a sick spirit. He was a rationalist and has had other heresies too than the apocatastasis.

The question actually deals with the issue of the "Rock" upon which the Church is built, and from which Peter takes his name. This "Rock" is seen by the fathers alternately as either a) Christ (obvious), b) Peter (by virtue of his confession of the true Rock that is Christ), or c) the confession of Peter (of the true Rock that is Christ). Your minimalistic and, frankly, misleading interpretation of the Matthean passages, done outside of the context of the faith and interpretations held by the early fathers, is dangerously inadequate. Look to the sources; it really is a fascinating study.

The Rock are the apostles, they are the foundation of the Church.

Christ too is compared with a Rock (even in his own words), the one that the builders omited.

I think Peter has had not any special atribution. He behaved as the leader of the community after the Ressurection because it was the need and for that and because others, being younger, were not having his authority. Later, in the time of the council in Jerusalem, when John and James wee no more such young, they started to be considered pillars of the Church but the prestige of Peter as being the leader of the Church preserved and it was, I think, the explanation for that the authors of the gospels are presenting more often his acts than of the ones of the other apostles.

Really, all you would need to do is study Patristic interpretations of Matthew 16; it isn't as if the information would be difficult to find.
P.S. Just to make myself perfectly clear, if you are unable to find the opinions of the fathers regarding Peter, Peter's confession, and Christ as catalysts of unity in the Church, I would be more than happy to help you.

I know that there was even in East a great cult and the belief that Peter is somehow superior to the other apostles.

In Romania only in 1930 were changed the Mineas (the books with chants for services of the days of the eclesial calendar), because these chants have been writen in the Byzantine period and were refering to Peter as the head of the apostles and other wrong concepts.

And I know many Fathers, especialy in the iconoclast period, exalted the role of Peter. But they are not authoritative if we want know the historical events. I have read such passages extracted from Fathers' writings, so I don't need to read again.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2007 at 16:25
These are all the mentions in the gospels of the promise and of the fulfilment of the promise about the gift to bind and loose:

Mark 8

27 Now Jesus and his disciples set out for the villages of Caesarea Philippi. Along the way he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that I am?"

28 They said in reply, "John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others one of the prophets."

29 And he asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter said to him in reply, "You are the Messiah."

30 Then he warned them not to tell anyone about him.

31 He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and rise after three days.

32 He spoke this openly. Then Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.

33 At this he turned around and, looking at his disciples, rebuked Peter and said, "Get behind me, Satan. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do."

Matthew 16

13 When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?"

14 They replied, "Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"

16 Simon Peter said in reply, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."

17 Jesus said to him in reply, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.

18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

20 Then he strictly ordered his disciples to tell no one that he was the Messiah.

21 From that time on, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer greatly from the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised.

22 Then Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, "God forbid, Lord! No such thing shall ever happen to you."

23 He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle to me. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do."

Matthew 18

17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.

18 Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Luke 9

18 Once when Jesus was praying in solitude, and the disciples were with him, he asked them, "Who do the crowds say that I am?"

19 They said in reply, "John the Baptist; others, Elijah; still others, 'One of the ancient prophets has arisen.'"

20 Then he said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter said in reply, "The Messiah of God."

21 He rebuked them and directed them not to tell this to anyone.

John 6

67 Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you also want to leave?"

68 Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

69 We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God."

John 20

21 (Jesus) said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you."

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit.

23 Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 13:45

Than it would not be as solemn as Paul stated what he stated. Remember his words: "The one who worked in me..."

God has an absolute majesty, he is not just a simple being.

My point remains the same: God can work through the apostles through a plan that is a progression of stages.  None of these stages has to be permanent.  After all, God's plan of salvation, which the Christians believe that he predestined with his supreme authority, works through a progression of stages.

1. This is a sophism and even (no ofence) a pervert idea. The virtue of humility is not irational and is not contrary to the common moral.

No offense taken.  First of all, there is nothing irrational about basing representation on factors other than age.  Secondly, if Jesus disagreed with many of the Jews' interpretation of the Law, and therefore disagreed with many Jews about matters of everyday religious life, there is no reason to believe that he or his followers necessarily made their decision based on a convention at the time.

2. You see the things like the apostles were a team of workmen. The values of intelligence or experience were null for the disciples of Jesus. It was a spiritual brotherhood and their head was being Jesus, not some of them.

You didn't address my point at all.  If the values of intelligence, something so evidential of one's character, was null and void, why did age stand alone as the determining factor?  You can't simply presume that without proof.  Remember that it does not matter what criterion was actually used: the point is that YOU need to prove that it was age that was the detemining factor.  You have shown absolutely no concrete evidence except your own assumption.  It would seem that holiness, faithfulness, etc, are far more significant than age in the context of the apostolic community.

Peter was not the representative but in some discutions or situations he was acting as a leader, especialy after the Ressurection.

So you have now undermined your own point about his age even more.  What you're saying is now that sometimes he is the leader, sometimes not.  You've said that Philip was representative in one instance.  This means that you're saying that Peter is not the established representative of the apostles.  But "Peter is the established representative" is one of your proofs for your conclusion "Peter is the oldest."  Since you've basically retracted your proof by admitting that he is only occasionally the acting leader, then your conclusion is even weaker.

Edited by MengTzu - 19-Sep-2007 at 13:46

(Credit to Cwyr and Gubookjanggoon for first using the sloganizer.)
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 14:43
My point remains the same: God can work through the apostles through a plan that is a progression of stages. None of these stages has to be permanent. After all, God's plan of salvation, which the Christians believe that he predestined with his supreme authority, works through a progression of stages.

There is an infinit difference between God and creatures. yes, he may act like you say but this would be damaging for the men, making them get a wrong understanding of God.

No offense taken. First of all, there is nothing irrational about basing representation on factors other than age. Secondly, if Jesus disagreed with many of the Jews' interpretation of the Law, and therefore disagreed with many Jews about matters of everyday religious life, there is no reason to believe that he or his followers necessarily made their decision based on a convention at the time.

You see the community of the apostles as one of common people. It was actualy a community of a total devotion and ascetic principles.

I repeat that was not an established code. It was like in a family, where without words all are behaving with respect and decency.

If the values of intelligence, something so evidential of one's character, was null and void, why did age stand alone as the determining factor? You can't simply presume that without proof. Remember that it does not matter what criterion was actually used: the point is that YOU need to prove that it was age that was the detemining factor. You have shown absolutely no concrete evidence except your own assumption. It would seem that holiness, faithfulness, etc, are far more significant than age in the context of the apostolic community.

Yes, age was the most signifiant when someone was needed to act as a leader or representative. Because all the apostles were considered brothers, the qualities that each one was having were considered gifts from God, not their merit and their guidance was not conform the human wisedom, which Jesus was considered am obstacle in obtaining the thrue knowledge from God:

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.

27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Peter is considered by the scholars as the oldest of the apostles, search the web (Google: the oldest apostle).

Why is considered like this? Because it was the leader after the Ressurection, because he is the apostle being most presented in gospels, because his behaviour was the most daring. If another apostle would have been older, scenes like that with the cuting of an ear would have been inadequate. I mean: Peter is much too demonstrative, so daring in his acts as to think that another apostles would have been older.

What you're saying is now that sometimes he is the leader, sometimes not. You've said that Philip was representative in one instance. This means that you're saying that Peter is not the established representative of the apostles. But "Peter is the established representative" is one of your proofs for your conclusion "Peter is the oldest." Since you've basically retracted your proof by admitting that he is only occasionally the acting leader, then your conclusion is even weaker.

The Scripture shows that Peter was acting sometimes like a representative. Not always, mostly he behaved like the other. No other one was acting like a leader. They were considering that Jesus is their Master, but sometimes, when they have to answer at a question of Jesus to them all, Peter is answering, being the oldest.

Tha ancient societies were conservatives in such things.

Edited by Menumorut - 19-Sep-2007 at 14:47
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 18:32

There is an infinit difference between God and creatures. yes, he may act like you say but this would be damaging for the men, making them get a wrong understanding of God.

By saying "he may act like you say" you've conceded your point and admitted that it is possible that God's plan involves progression of stages, so I probably need not go further.  Although my point is only to show that this is possible, the in the Biblical view, this is not only possible, but is in fact what God's plan is, i.e., progression of stages.  If such progression is confusing or damaging, then why did God make an old covenant and a new covenant?  Why did God make some animals unclean at one point, and later declare them clean?  It's clear that the apostles did not find the progression of stages a damaging matter.

I repeat that was not an established code. It was like in a family, where without words all are behaving with respect and decency.

I don't see how your point is relevant at all.  You have no shown proof or evidence that age was, in fact, the criterion used.  I am still waiting for something more than assertions.

Yes, age was the most signifiant when someone was needed to act as a leader or representative. Because all the apostles were considered brothers, the qualities that each one was having were considered gifts from God, not their merit and their guidance was not conform the human wisedom, which Jesus was considered am obstacle in obtaining the thrue knowledge from God:

This begs the question: if gifts and qualities are given by God, why isn't the representative role also considered a gift from God?  By the same token, you have offered no proof that age, as opposed to other factors, is in fact the standard.  You have merely asserted so.

Peter is considered by the scholars as the oldest of the apostles, search the web (Google: the oldest apostle).

But we are talking about the argument that YOU provided.  It's best for you to either concede that you have no evidence for your particular point, or find some proof for it.

I mean: Peter is much too demonstrative, so daring in his acts as to think that another apostles would have been older.

His daring acts, as stated, are not at all conclusive proof.  There is no reason to insist some isolated acts to adequately reflect one's age (e.g., many act "older" or "younger" than their actual age.)  These acts can also be used to demonstrate that he was young (there is no proof that these acts were deliberate as you said, and there is further no reason to believe that "deliberation" reflects age.)

Another thing is that, even if Peter is the oldest of the apostles, you still haven't shown how old he was in fact.

the Scripture shows that Peter was acting sometimes like a representative. Not always, mostly he behaved like the other. No other one was acting like a leader. They were considering that Jesus is their Master, but sometimes, when they have to answer at a question of Jesus to them all, Peter is answering, being the oldest.

Tha ancient societies were conservatives in such things.

Then what was the purpose of your example about Philip?  Wasn't it to show that, sometimes, someone else can be representative of the apostles?  If so, then you undermined a previous argument you've made.

Edited by MengTzu - 20-Sep-2007 at 19:07

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 01:23
If such progression is confusing or damaging, then why did God make an old covenant and a new covenant? Why did God make some animals unclean at one point, and later declare them clean? It's clear that the apostles did not find the progression of stages a damaging matter.

Paul is saying in the Epistle to Hebrews (chapter 10):

1 Since the [Mosaic] law has only a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of them, it can never make perfect those who come to worship by the same sacrifices that they offer continually each year.

So, the stages consisted in one which was not true and one which was true.

It was not a continuous stage evolutions, Jesus is saying (at John 10)

8 All who came [before me] are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them.

9 I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture.

What you sustain would be correct if the stage at which apostles have been at Jerusalem was not a stage considered definitive.

If a change like that you propose (that after Jerusalem, apostles could received a sign for changing again the arrangement of their areas of activity) would have occured, this would have an impact on the characteristics of their teachings, they would preach a God who don't acts with absolute majesty, or all the New Testament shows the oposite.

You have no shown proof or evidence that age was, in fact, the criterion used. I am still waiting for something more than assertions.

I have sayed that sometimes, it was needed that one of the apostles to speak in the name of others, to be their representative. If not any other criterion exists, age is the one which "chose". If would have existed another establishment among them, like the one sustained by Catholics, that Peter would have been superior or have received a special mission among them, this would have been mentioned.

I have put together the mention of the moment with Peter's confession in all four gospels and is clearly seen that is not about some special mission attributed to Peter.

This begs the question: if gifts and qualities are given by God, why isn't the representative role also considered a gift from God? By the same token, you have offered no proof that age, as opposed to other factors, is in fact the standard. You have merely asserted so.

The gifts and qualities are concrete things, a representative role is not something which can be called a gift because the superiority to others would make a differentiation which is oposed to the love preached in NT.

These acts can also be used to demonstrate that he was young (there is no proof that these acts were deliberate as you said, and there is further no reason to believe that "deliberation" reflects age.)

John and James sometimes asked Jesus the places at right and left of him in the skies empire. This was a spontanously manifestation and a proof of their youth and imaturity.

At Peter there is a more complex thinking: he ask Jesus to not support the Passions, he promiss to die for him, he hav the initiative to built three huts (one for Jesus, one for Moses and one for Elijah, Matthew 17: 4). Such initiatives would allow only the oldest of them, because are refering to Jesus (not to the apostles, like in the case of the ask of John and James).

Then what was the purpose of your example about Philip? Wasn't it to show that, sometimes, someone else can be representative of the apostles? If so, then you undermined a previous argument you've made.

Philip was asked something Jesus, he hasn't an initiative toward Jesus, so he hasn't acted like a representative.

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 17:03

So, the stages consisted in one which was not true and one which was true. 

It was nonetheless a progression of stages: if an earlier stage was a stage of "image of what it to occur", that is nonetheless a stage, albeit one in which the entire truth wasn't yet revealed.

It was not a continuous stage evolutions, Jesus is saying (at John 10)

8 All who came [before me] are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them.

9 I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture.

In the Biblical view, God himself gave Israel the Law, formed a Covenant with them, and sent prophets to them.  When Jesus referred to "thieves and robbers," he could not possibly be discounting that first stage itself as false or non-existant, as discounting that first stage would mean discounting God himself.  God revealed the covenant to Israel and gave them the Law regarding matters including unclean animals.  There is no way that Jesus would discount the entire Old Testament stage.  Otherwise, he wouldn't have said that the entire Law must be kept until he fulfills it.  Jesus also quoted the Old Testament prophecies to prove that he is the Messiah.  Hence, Jesus could not possibly discount the veracity of the Old Testament stage of God's plan.

In fact, Jesus clearly saw the plan as a progression.  In saying that the Law is to be kept until fulfilled, he clearly explained that God's plan was in stages.  He noted that clearly that there was a prior situation (to keep the Law), and a new situation (the Law is fulfilled.)

If a change like that you propose (that after Jerusalem, apostles could received a sign for changing again the arrangement of their areas of activity) would have occured, this would have an impact on the characteristics of their teachings, they would preach a God who don't acts with absolute majesty, or all the New Testament shows the oposite.
Your argument does not follow.  Their understanding of God's majesty is not at all affected just because he planned a progression of impermanent stages, as he in fact did regarding the plan of salvation.  If the apostles never understood the arrangement to be permanent -- and there is no reason to think that they understood it to be permanent -- then this has absolutely no impact on their concept of God's majesty.

I have sayed that sometimes, it was needed that one of the apostles to speak in the name of others, to be their representative. If not any other criterion exists, age is the one which "chose".

Your logic here is faulty for two reasons:

1) You haven't shown at all that there are no other criteria.

2) Even if there is no other known criteria, it does not therefore follow that age is, in fact, the criterion.

The gifts and qualities are concrete things, a representative role is not something which can be called a gift because the superiority to others would make a differentiation which is oposed to the love preached in NT.

This is a pure conjecture.  Other than your own subjective evaluation, you have shown absolutely no objective basis for why a representative role is not a gift.  Having a leadership role does not therefore mean it is an unloving position: Jesus said the first shall be last.  This only means a leader in the Christian context must be humble like a servant, but is not therefore non-existent.  Jesus did not say "let there be no 'first'." 

Also, if such a representative role is opposed to love, then Jesus would not at all allow there to be representative role for any reason, whether for age or any other criteria.  Do you want me to believe that Jesus would preach love but make an exception for something against love because he takes "age" into such an esteem, to the point that he allows something unloving on the account of "age?"  That's entirely absurd.

In other words, you're telling me that a representative role is an unloving thing, and therefore cannot be a gift, but nonetheless Jesus allowed this unloving arrangement out of consideration of age.  That makes absolutely no sense.  Why would Jesus not allow differentiation as a gift, but allows it based on age?

John and James sometimes asked Jesus the places at right and left of him in the skies empire. This was a spontanously manifestation and a proof of their youth and imaturity.

At Peter there is a more complex thinking: he ask Jesus to not support the Passions, he promiss to die for him, he hav the initiative to built three huts (one for Jesus, one for Moses and one for Elijah, Matthew 17: 4). Such initiatives would allow only the oldest of them, because are refering to Jesus (not to the apostles, like in the case of the ask of John and James).

There is nothing less mature about sitting at the left and right of Jesus in the kingdom than setting up tents for Jesus and the prophets.  (By the way, "skies empire" is a very unusual translation!)  Disputing over whether one would sit at Jesus' left or right is not necessarily a sign of immaturity -- it depends on the purpose behind their fight.  if they fight over this because out of desire of having a higher position or being the favorite of Jesus, then you should note that old and mature people often fight over higher positions or being favorites of someone they deem important.  It does not necessarily demonstrate age and maturity.

Second, you're missing my point.  My point is that behavior is not conclusive proof of age, as people regularly act outside of their age.  Further age is not the same as maturity.

Third, saying "such initatives would allow only the oldest of them" is precisely the issue disputed here.  By asserting the conclusion to a dispute as your reason, you're using your conclusion as your premise, which is circular reasoning.

Edited by MengTzu - 21-Sep-2007 at 17:26

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 03:28

1. In the Biblical view, God himself gave Israel the Law, formed a Covenant with them, and sent prophets to them.

2. When Jesus referred to "thieves and robbers," he could not possibly be discounting that first stage itself as false or non-existant, as discounting that first stage would mean discounting God himself.

3. God revealed the covenant to Israel and gave them the Law regarding matters including unclean animals.

4. There is no way that Jesus would discount the entire Old Testament stage. Otherwise, he wouldn't have said that the entire Law must be kept until he fulfills it. Jesus also quoted the Old Testament prophecies to prove that he is the Messiah. Hence, Jesus could not possibly discount the veracity of the Old Testament stage of God's plan.

In fact, Jesus clearly saw the plan as a progression. In saying that the Law is to be kept until fulfilled, he clearly explained that God's plan was in stages. He noted that clearly that there was a prior situation (to keep the Law), and a new situation (the Law is fulfilled.)

1. The idea of a Covenant was a strategy for preparing their conscience for the coming of Mesia. It was not a true covenant. The role of the prophets was the same.

2. He makes the distinction between him and other religion founders and I think he includes too the Judaic religion, not in the sense of negating that it is from God, but in the sense that that religion was relative.

3. I don't understand your point.

4. I have sayed that when Jesus says Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place. is about prophecies.

About the necesity of fulfilling the precepts of Moses' Law, sometime Jesus sayed "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You pay tithes of mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier things of the law: judgment and mercy and fidelity. (But) these you should have done, without neglecting the others.

But more often he was saying things like You nullify the word of God in favor of your tradition that you have handed on. And you do many such things." He summoned the crowd again and said to them, "Hear me, all of you, and understand. Nothing that enters one from outside can defile that person; but the things that come out from within are what defile."

Overall, Jesus teached that the Law should not be obeyed. But he did that not in a radical manner, for not creating the confussion, because the objectives of his teachings were not a revolt against the Moses Law but the achievement of the mystical knowledge about God and the achievement of the virtues of humility and love, through a life of asetism.

Also, a much to radical separement from the Moses' Law would have created greater problems for his mission.

Your argument does not follow. Their understanding of God's majesty is not at all affected just because he planned a progression of impermanent stages, as he in fact did regarding the plan of salvation. If the apostles never understood the arrangement to be permanent -- and there is no reason to think that they understood it to be permanent -- then this has absolutely no impact on their concept of God's majesty.

If what you say would be correct, finding in New Testament something like "The Holy Ghost worked in us that Peter to be the apostle of the Circumcised and me, Paul to be the apostle of the Gentile for a while, then Holy Ghost changed this" would not shock us, as actualy it is doing.

I think the apostles believed it's permanent, that it was not only the task for doing some things but the fact that Paul becames the representative of Christians from the Gentiles and Peter of the Christians from the Jews. This is the way the passage from Galatians should be interpreted.

Your logic here is faulty for two reasons:

1) You haven't shown at all that there are no other criteria.

2) Even if there is no other known criteria, it does not therefore follow that age is, in fact, the criterion.

If other criteria would have existed, this would have been mentioned in the gospels.

Age would could not have been ignored.

1. Other than your own subjective evaluation, you have shown absolutely no objective basis for why a representative role is not a gift.

2. Having a leadership role does not therefore mean it is an unloving position: Jesus said the first shall be last. This only means a leader in the Christian context must be humble like a servant, but is not therefore non-existent. Jesus did not say "let there be no 'first'."

3. Also, if such a representative role is opposed to love, then Jesus would not at all allow there to be representative role for any reason, whether for age or any other criteria.
4. Why would Jesus not allow differentiation as a gift, but allows it based on age?

1. Jesus sayed sometime: As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.' You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers.

A representative role could not be a gift, because a gift is a value and for that being a representative to be considered a value is necesary that someones to be considered inferior.

2. Actualy, Jesus didn't meant that someone should or would be the first. He only advised that everyone should strive to be the servant of the others.

3. A representative role would have been attributed by Jesus to one of the apostles not as a gift, but as a necesity. But this didn't happened.

As I sayed, the fact that Peter was sometimes speaking in the name of others was not a rule, but a momentarly spontanous manifestation.

4. The representative of the apostles was Jesus himself.

And sometimes, when the apostles should address in ensamble to Jesus, only one of them is speaking. Is a simple way of not creating disorder, nothing else. The apostles are equal.

1. There is nothing less mature about sitting at the left and right of Jesus in the kingdom than setting up tents for Jesus and the prophets.   
2. Disputing over whether one would sit at Jesus' left or right is not necessarily a sign of immaturity -- it depends on the purpose behind their fight. if they fight over this because out of desire of having a higher position or being the favorite of Jesus, then you should note that old and mature people often fight over higher positions or being favorites of someone they deem important. It does not necessarily demonstrate age and maturity.

3. Second, you're missing my point. My point is that behavior is not conclusive proof of age, as people regularly act outside of their age. Further age is not the same as maturity.

4. Third, saying "such initatives would allow only the oldest of them" is precisely the issue disputed here. By asserting the conclusion to a dispute as your reason, you're using your conclusion as your premise, which is circular reasoning.

1. I used wrongly the word mature.

I say it in another way: the ask of John and James proves a way of thinking characteristic to young people, without the experience of life and with energetic personalities. An older man would not make such an ask because the age is diminishing the enthuziasm and the phantasms.

2. What you say is appliable to concrete realities, not to some promised for a not yet seen world. And the apostles were not so ignorant to not know that a fight for power is against God's and Jesus' principles. It was only a naive manifestation of their wish to demonstrate their devotion to Jesus.

3. Yes and not. Age brings anyway an experience, people are no more impressed, less interested, more eficient in administrative things. Peter initiative of building huts is rather the expression of a mind of someone wit a longer experience of life, than of the mind of a young man.

4. This is another aspect. In their community, initiatives from the part of younger would be considered unadequate daring.

Edited by Menumorut - 22-Sep-2007 at 03:37
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2007 at 09:40
Catholic apologets sustain that the end of first Epistle of Peter shows it was writen from Rome, because it says

12 I write you this briefly through Silvanus, 6 whom I consider a faithful brother, exhorting you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Remain firm in it.

13 The chosen one at Babylon sends you greeting, as does Mark, my son.

14 Greet one another with a loving kiss. Peace to all of you who are in Christ.

They support this with another statement, that the Babylon in Revelation is Rome too.
This is strange because is puting Rome in a negative light, but they make this for sustaining that Rome is the Babylon from I Peter.

On Catholic Encyclopedia at the article about Apocalypse, most is dedicated to the interpretation of Babylon as Rome:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01594b.htm

But, if ever Peter would have been at Rome, is not reason for naming this city as Babylon in the context of mentioning the church from there.

It was argued that for the Jews from antiquity, Rome was compared with Babylon and this is true, but in such solemn writing as the Epistle of the most respected apostle or in a cryptic writing as Apocalypse, the Babylon could not refer to Rome.

In both, by "Babylon" is designated Jerusalem.

Peter was witness of Jesus' humiliation and kill by the will of Jerusalem people.

John, the author of Apocalypse, too. In John's gospel there is a big negative feeling against the Jews, as far it was considered an anti-semite writing:

Jews

The Gospels treatment of the role of the Jewish authorities in the Crucifixion has given rise to allegations of anti-Semitism. The Gospel often employs the title "the Jews" when discussing the opponents of Jesus. The meaning of this usage has been the subject of debate, though critics of the anti-Semitic theory cite that the author most likely considered himself Jewish and was probably speaking to a largely Jewish community. Hence it is argued that "the Jews" properly refers to the Jewish religious authorities (see: Sanhedrin), and not the Jewish people as a whole. It is because of this controversy that some modern English translations, such as Today's New International Version, remove the term "Jews" and replace it with more specific terms to avoid anti-Semitic connotations, citing the above argument. Most critics of these translations, conceding this point, argue that the context (since it is obvious that Jesus, John himself, and the other disciples were all Jews) makes John's true meaning sufficiently clear, and that a literal translation is preferred.

Other critics go further, arguing that the text displays a shift in emphasis away from the Roman provincial government, which actually carried out the execution, and to the Jewish authorities as a technique used to render a developing Christianity more palatable in official circles.[citation needed] Nevertheless, these passages have been historically used by some Christian groups to justify the persecution of Jews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_John#Jews

In gospel, Jesus prohetizes the destruction of Jerusalem:

Mark 13
1 As he was making his way out of the temple area one of his disciples said to him, "Look, teacher, what stones and what buildings!"

2 Jesus said to him, "Do you see these great buildings? There will not be one stone left upon another that will not be thrown down."

Matthew 23
19 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how many times I yearned to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her young under her wings, but you were unwilling!

38 Behold, your house will be abandoned, desolate.

Matthew 24
1 Jesus left the temple area and was going away, when his disciples approached him to point out the temple buildings.

2 He said to them in reply, "You see all these things, do you not? Amen, I say to you, there will not be left here a stone upon another stone that will not be thrown down."

Luke 21
5 While some people were speaking about how the temple was adorned with costly stones and votive offerings, he said,
6 "All that you see here--the days will come when there will not be left a stone upon another stone that will not be thrown down."

Luke 21
20 "When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, know that its desolation is at hand.

21 Then those in Judea must flee to the mountains. Let those within the city escape from it, and let those in the countryside not enter the city,

22 for these days are the time of punishment when all the scriptures are fulfilled.

23 Woe to pregnant women and nursing mothers in those days, for a terrible calamity will come upon the earth and a wrathful judgment upon this people.

24 They will fall by the edge of the sword and be taken as captives to all the Gentiles; and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

And as we know, Jerusalem have been completely destroyed in 70 AD.

The Apostles were identifying Jerusalem with the city that have killed Jesus and that is condemned to destruction.

In Apocalypse we are told about the city cryptic named Babylon:

CHapter 17
4 The woman was dressed in purple and scarlet, and was glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls. She held a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominable things and the filth of her adulteries.

5 This title was written on her forehead:
      MYSTERY
      BABYLON THE GREAT
      THE MOTHER OF PROSTITUTES
      AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

6 I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the saints, the blood of those who bore testimony to Jesus.

From here we learn that Babylon is a cryptic name and that it martyrized the saints of Jesus.

It cann't be about Rome because the Apocalypse has a spiritual, transcendental not political message. And in 1st century haven't been persecutions against Christians, with the exception of that of Nero, which was not asking the abjuration of Christ.

But in Jerusalem have been persecutions and martyrization, starting with the one of Steven.

Also, the fact that in the city was found blood of prophets is a proof that this city is Jerusalem:

Revelation 18: 24 In her was found the blood of prophets and holy ones and all who have been slain on the earth.

Let's compare the passage from Revelation 17 with Jeremiah 4:

30 You now who are doomed, what do you mean by putting on purple, bedecking yourself with gold, Shading your eyes with cosmetics, beautifying yourself in vain? Your lovers spurn you, they seek your life.

31 Yes, I hear the moaning, as of a woman in travail, like the anguish of a mother with her first child- The cry of daughter Zion gasping, as she stretches forth her hands: "Ah, woe is me! I sink exhausted before the slayers!"

In Revelation 11 is sayed

7 When they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from the abyss will wage war against them and conquer them and kill them.

8 Their corpses will lie in the main street of the great city, which has the symbolic names "Sodom" and "Egypt," where indeed their Lord was crucified.

The great city from here is the same with the great city from Revelation 16:

19 The great city was split into three parts, and the gentile cities fell. But God remembered great Babylon, giving it the cup filled with the wine of his fury and wrath.

The cup from there is the same cup from Isaiah 51:

17 Awake, awake! Arise, O Jerusalem, You who drank at the LORD'S hand the cup of his wrath; Who drained to the dregs the bowl of staggering!

For apostles, Jerusalem was a damned city and the mention of its name was almost a sin because it has killed the Son of God.

The Babylon-Jerusalem from Apocalypse is in oposition with the celest Jerusalem from the same book. The sense is larger, the earthy Jerusalem is the symbol of the life of sin and of the sinners from all times.

This is clear if we compare

Revelation 17
1 One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the punishment of the great prostitute, who sits on many waters.

2 With her the kings of the earth committed adultery and the inhabitants of the earth were intoxicated with the wine of her adulteries."

with

Revelation 21
9 One of the seven angels who held the seven bowls filled with the seven last plagues came and said to me, "Come here. I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb."

10 He took me in spirit to a great, high mountain and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God.

but most convincing is the fact that the celestial Jerusalem is called the new Jerusalem

Revelation 21: 2 I also saw the holy city, a new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

The identification of Babylon from Peter's epistle with Jerusalem is in acordance with historical data. Peter's residence was Jerusalem, Mark and Silvanus too were Jerusalimitans.

Edited by Menumorut - 30-Sep-2007 at 13:19
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 23:44

1. The idea of a Covenant was a strategy for preparing their conscience for the coming of Mesia. It was not a true covenant. The role of the prophets was the same.

2. He makes the distinction between him and other religion founders and I think he includes too the Judaic religion, not in the sense of negating that it is from God, but in the sense that that religion was relative.

3. I don't understand your point.

4. I have sayed that when Jesus says Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place. is about prophecies.

You have completely avoided the issue, as none of your points addressed it at all.  The issue is that there was a progression of stages in God's plan.  Unless you claim that the God who gave the Law is different from the God of the New Testament, you have no option but to accept that, in the Bible (Old Testament + New Testament), God's plan worked through a progression of stages.  It does not matter whether or not the first stage was purely prophetic: even if it was purely prophetic, there was still such a stage, a stage during which the terms were different from a later stage that fulfills the former stage.  The very fulfillment of one older stage by a newer stage IS PRECISELY a progression of stages.

Overall, Jesus teached that the Law should not be obeyed.

If you suggest that, overall, Jesus taught that the Law should not be obeyed, then you cannot avoid admitting that there is a progression of stages.  There was a stage when the Law was to be obeyed (Deuteronomy 27:26.)  Jesus recognized that first stage.  You cannot avoid the conclusion that there was a time when the Jews had to obey the Law, and then there is a second stage when the Law is fulfilled and certain unclean animals were declared clean.

I think the apostles believed it's permanent, that it was not only the task for doing some things but the fact that Paul becames the representative of Christians from the Gentiles and Peter of the Christians from the Jews. This is the way the passage from Galatians should be interpreted.

You've merely replaced "acting on a task" with "being a representative."  You have no proof whatsoever that the latter is permanent.

If other criteria would have existed, this would have been mentioned in the gospels.

Of course not.  You have said a number of posts ago that we can't expect everything to be found expressly written in the Bible.  You wrote:

There is not indication for everything in Bible. Some things you should presume.

So why do you now insist that if another criterion is used, we'll see it in the Bible?

And what makes age the default standard that we can infer from the because the Bible didn't expressly indicate it?  You have not come up with a single proof for that.

Lastly, since you accept that age can be an implied presumption, you must also accept that the other standards that can be implied besides age.  Age is not the only possible implied standard here.  I've already discussed a number of other possible implied standards.  Without an express statement about what the standard is, one can only suppose that the standard is one of the implied standards, and age is not the only implied standard.

1. Jesus sayed sometime: As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.' You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers.

A representative role could not be a gift, because a gift is a value and for that being a representative to be considered a value is necesary that someones to be considered inferior.

A representative is not a rabbi or teacher.  The represented is not inferior on the basis of being represented.  Jesus said the first is last, last is first.  The representative an certainly be seen as the servant of the group. 

2. Actualy, Jesus didn't meant that someone should or would be the first. He only advised that everyone should strive to be the servant of the others.

Besides the point.  The point is Jesus didn't mean that there can be no representative.

3. A representative role would have been attributed by Jesus to one of the apostles not as a gift, but as a necesity. But this didn't happened.

Totally baseless assertion.  What proof is that to show that a representative can only be a necessity and not a gift?  You can't just make up a preposition out of a vacuum and expect me to accept it.

1. I used wrongly the word mature.

I say it in another way: the ask of John and James proves a way of thinking characteristic to young people, without the experience of life and with energetic personalities. An older man would not make such an ask because the age is diminishing the enthuziasm and the phantasms.

Again, you're employing your "change the wording and hope I will be convinced of their difference or forget the issue" technique.  Such dispute between James and John can take place between people of any age.  As I said, it depends on the purpose of the dispute (see my last post).  In addition, whether you call it "immaturity" or "characteristic of young people," the point is the same: people often act outside of their age.

What you say is appliable to concrete realities, not to some promised for a not yet seen world. And the apostles were not so ignorant to not know that a fight for power is against God's and Jesus' principles. It was only a naive manifestation of their wish to demonstrate their devotion to Jesus.

Speculative as to what they actually were fighting over.  There is no indication whatsoever.  If it was simply a matter of devotion, the other disciples' reaction was a little odd (they were displeased), and Jesus' subsequent response about "the greatest shall be last" would also be out of place.

3. Yes and not. Age brings anyway an experience, people are no more impressed, less interested, more eficient in administrative things. Peter initiative of building huts is rather the expression of a mind of someone wit a longer experience of life, than of the mind of a young man.

Also speculative.  There is no indication that the same thought, or perhaps a more mature thought, did not cross the mind of James and John.  Besides, the other nine were not present.  Since they were not there, you can only compare Peter with James and John, and you have no idea what any of the other nine would have done if they were there as well.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 12:35
The issue is that there was a progression of stages in God's plan. Unless you claim that the God who gave the Law is different from the God of the New Testament, you have no option but to accept that, in the Bible (Old Testament + New Testament), God's plan worked through a progression of stages. It does not matter whether or not the first stage was purely prophetic: even if it was purely prophetic, there was still such a stage, a stage during which the terms were different from a later stage that fulfills the former stage. The very fulfillment of one older stage by a newer stage IS PRECISELY a progression of stages.

The progression of stages in God's plan has a purpose, is not itself a purpose and is not infinite. The purpose is the bring of the human race from unknowledge and wrong understanding to knowledge and right understanding.

So, a God that after Incarnation behave again in an indirect way, saying one time a thing then changing, would derute human beings. Because we see in Galatians that the apostles were convinced that (the repartition of geographical areas) is not a temporary establishment but a definitive decision of Holy Spirit.

If you suggest that, overall, Jesus taught that the Law should not be obeyed, then you cannot avoid admitting that there is a progression of stages. There was a stage when the Law was to be obeyed (Deuteronomy 27:26.) Jesus recognized that first stage. You cannot avoid the conclusion that there was a time when the Jews had to obey the Law, and then there is a second stage when the Law is fulfilled and certain unclean animals were declared clean.

No, there was not a time when the Jews had to obey the Law, this was a stratagema of God for preparing the human kind for the Incarnation. Everything in the old Law was not necesary, neither in the period BC neither after.

Paul is saying in several places of his epistles that the Judaic Law cann't give salvation.

You've merely replaced "acting on a task" with "being a representative." You have no proof whatsoever that the latter is permanent.

Let's look again the passage:

7 On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter to the circumcised,

8 for the one who worked in Peter for an apostolate to the circumcised worked also in me for the Gentiles

9 and when they recognized the grace bestowed upon me, James and Cephas and John, who were reputed to be pillars, gave me and Barnabas their right hands in partnership, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.

So, it looks like is not about tasks but about the fact that Holy Ghost worked in Paul the apostolate to Gentiles and in Peter the apostolate to circumcised. A changement of this would have confused apostles and the ones who listened them.

So why do you now insist that if another criterion is used, we'll see it in the Bible?

And what makes age the default standard that we can infer from the because the Bible didn't expressly indicate it? You have not come up with a single proof for that.

New Testament doesn't mention everything but the gospels are a kind of works that includes explanations necesary to understand the presented situations. When there is a special raport derived from an arangement between some figures and in a situation this raport is manifesting somehow, the gospels explain the reason. For example, at the Last Supper we are told that a disciple were laying with his head on Jesus' chest. And the gospels explain why was that: because he was the most beloved disciple.

Age is not the only possible implied standard here. I've already discussed a number of other possible implied standards. Without an express statement about what the standard is, one can only suppose that the standard is one of the implied standards, and age is not the only implied standard.

The gospels' purpose was to offer a document for the Christian communities to preserve the memory about the happenings of Jesus' Incarnation and deeds. So, they have a precise utility, they are not beletristic creation. They needed to transmit as much as possible but without being to long. So, elements like the ones explaining the relations between apostles are necesary for understanding the events and would not be missed by the four authors, but elements which are not necesary in the description of events would be left out.

A representative is not a rabbi or teacher. The represented is not inferior on the basis of being represented. Jesus said the first is last, last is first. The representative an certainly be seen as the servant of the group.

Than, this could not be called gift.

If it was simply a matter of devotion, the other disciples' reaction was a little odd (they were displeased), and Jesus' subsequent response about "the greatest shall be last" would also be out of place.

The other disciples' reaction was an effect of literaly taking the John and James' ask. Jesus' response was a valorification of that happening.

Do you have an opinion about my assertions (actualy are not mine, I've taken them from some articles) that the "Babylon" from I Peter and Apocalypse is not Rome but Jerusalem?

Edited by Menumorut - 04-Oct-2007 at 12:40

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 11:09
Ok, now that we have completely -- and nauseatingly -- exhausted the questions surrounding the issue of whether or not Peter was, in fact, resident at Rome, can we return to the consideration of the Roman primacy within the context of Scripture and Tradition, the which was the intended topic of this thread? Discuss. Wink

-Akolouthos
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 16:03

Quite right, Ako.

The thread was intended for the subject of Peter's primacy, or lack there of, but the majority has been spent elsewhere.

The one belief of the Orthodox that seems to slip my understanding or nature of beliefs is how Christ can give a position of honor without giving pastoral duties as well, it almost seems empty in that aspect, I speak lightly....it is empty in that aspect.

There are many writings of our dear Church Fathers that can chosen but I believe Cyprian of Carthage explains the Catholic Church's doctrine very indubitably

"If any one consider and examine these things, there is no need for lengthened discussion and arguments. There is easy proof for faith in a short summary of the truth. The Lord speaks to Peter, saying, I say unto thee, that thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound also in heaven, and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven (St. Matthew 16:18). And again to the same He says, after His resurrection, Feed my sheep (St. John 21:16). It is on him that He builds the Church, and to him that He entrusts the sheep to feed. And although to all the apostles, after His resurrection, He gives an equal power, and says, As the Father hath sent me, even so send I you: Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they shall be remitted unto him; and whose soever sins ye retain, they shall be retained; (St. John 20:21, 22) yet, He founded a single Chair. That He might set forth unity, He established by His authority the origin of that unity, as having its origin in one man alone. No doubt the others were all that Peter was, but a primacy is given to Peter, and it is thus made clear that there is but one Church and one Chair. So too, even if they are all shepherds, we are shown but one flock which is to be fed by all the apostles in common accord. If a man does not hold fast to this oneness of Peter, does he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he deserts the Chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, has he confidence that he is in the Church?

Which one Church, also, the Holy Spirit in the Song of Songs, speaking in Our Lords name, says, My dove, my spotless one, is but one. She is the only one of her mother, elect of her that bare her (6:9). Does he who does not hold this unity of the Church think that he holds the faith? Does he who strives against and resists the Church trust that he is in the Church, when moreover the blessed Apostle Paul teaches the same thing, and sets forth the sacrament of unity, saying, There is one body and one spirit, one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God? (Ephesians 4:5)

(The Unity of the Catholic Church, 4, A.D. 251)
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 02:58
Originally posted by arch.buff

The one belief of the Orthodox that seems to slip my understanding or nature of beliefs is how Christ can give a position of honor without giving pastoral duties as well, it almost seems empty in that aspect, I speak lightly....it is empty in that aspect.

Quite alright, quite alright; I shall forgive you for speaking lightly. After all, with the plethora of extant documents from the patristic era, I could hardly expect you to research a subject fully before commenting on it. Ok, now I speak lightly (in an altogether new third context). Wink Couldn't resist. Anyway, on to the analysis.

It really isn't all that difficult to understand, and the reason for it is clear. The problem with the whole issue is that Romanists through the ages have attempted to construct a strict either or dichotomy: the maximalist -- and unjustifiable -- Roman interpretation of the primacy or absolute anarchy. Unfortunately, this method doesn't apply all that well to reality.

I think I shall refer you back to something I wrote on the first page of this thread, in response to Jackal God:

"The gift of the keys to Peter (Matthew 16) does signify a special authority given to Peter. Indeed Peter generally speaks for the rest; still, we must remember that Peter's status cannot be separated from his confession. If his successor falls into error, he cannot exercise the prerogatives that rightly belong to the See of Peter.

That said, each of the Patriarchal sees possesses certain prerogatives. Rome's include, among other things, the right to hear appeals, the right to sit in the first seat at an ecumenical council, etc. The gift of the keys and ancient Roman prerogatives cannot, however, be taken to imply an absolute monarchical authority. Indeed Peter himself never presumed to act in an authoritarian fashion. While he spoke first, he spoke with the Church and never in its despite."

I think that sums up the basics of how the Orthodox view the exercise of primacy. The proper exercise of primacy within the Church is further illustrated by the 34th Canon of the Holy Apostles:

Can. 34 "The bishops of every nation must acknowledge him who is first among them and account him as their head, and do nothing of consequence without his consent; but each may do those things only which concern his  own parish, and the country places which belong to it. But neither let him (who is the first) do anything without the consent of all;  for so there will be unanimity, and God will be glorified through the Lord in the Holy Spirit."

It should be noted that this could be applied on the local level, in order to affirm the position and role of a metropolitan, or on a broader level, in order to affirm the position and role of a patriarch. Note, however, that those who hold various forms of primacy are required to receive the "consent of all; for so there will be unanimity." As the eminent Orthodox theologian Ioannis Zizioulas puts it:

"Now primacy in the Church has never been exercised by rotation. This is a clear indication that primacy is attached to a particular office or ministry and to a particular person. Since, however, this office or ministry finds its raison d'tre in the synodical institution of which it is a part, it can only function in relation to those who comprise the synod, and never in isolation. Primacy, like everything else in the Church, even in God's being (the Trinity), is relational. There is no such thing as individual ministry, understood and functioning outside of reality of communion."

Zizioulas goes on to note that "primacy is not a legalistic notion implying the investment of a certain individual with power, but a form of diakonia, that is, of ministry in the strict sense of the term."

We also need to understand that the primacy enjoyed by the Roman see was attributed to her by virtue of her location in the capital of the Roman Empire, and not by virtue of her Petrine foundation. Consequently, the idea of any special charisms passing to the Roman bishops by virtue of the their claim to be the geographical successors of Peter is untenable. Indeed, it is believed that the first bishop of Rome to invoke the Petrine text (Matt. 16) was Stephen, in the third century, but we will shall come back to him. The Councils of Constantinople and Chalcedon amply demonstrate that the root of the position of Rome at the head of the Church is derived from the position of Rome as the capital of the oikoumene. The third canon of Constantinople clearly states:

Can. 3 "The Bishop of Constantinople, however, shall have the prerogative of honour after the Bishop of Rome; because Constantinople is New Rome."

and the twenty-seventh of Chalcedon reaffirms the point in more explicit language:

Can. 27 "Following in all things the decisions of the holy Fathers, and acknowledging the canon, which has been just read, of the One Hundred and Fifty Bishops beloved-of-God (who assembled in the imperial city of Constantinople, which is New Rome, in the time of the Emperor Theodosius of happy memory), we also do enact and decree the same things concerning the privileges of the most holy Church of Constantinople, which is New Rome. For the Fathers rightly granted privileges to the throne of old Rome, because it was the royal city. And the One Hundred and Fifty most religious Bishops, actuated by the same consideration, gave equal privileges to the most holy throne of New Rome, justly judging that the city which is honoured with the Sovereignty and the Senate, and enjoys equal privileges with the old imperial Rome, should in ecclesiastical matters also be magnified as she is, and rank next after her; so that, in the Pontic, the Asian, and the Thracian dioceses, the metropolitans only and such bishops also of the Dioceses aforesaid as are among the barbarians, should be ordained by the aforesaid most holy throne of the most holy Church of Constantinople; every metropolitan of the aforesaid dioceses, together with the bishops of his province, ordaining his own provincial bishops, as has been declared by the divine canons; but that, as has been above said, the metropolitans of the aforesaid Dioceses should be ordained by the archbishop of Constantinople, after the proper elections have been held according to custom and have been reported to him."

To sum it up, Rome owed her primacy to her position as the capital of the oikoumene. All of the bishops are Peter's successors (more on this in our discussion of Cyprian below). And finally, the proper exercise of primacy -- the right to which the Roman Church has forfeited due to her manifest heresy -- always takes place in an ecclesial context.

Having dispensed with the questions regarding the proper exercise of primacy, let us turn to the matter of St. Cyprian. You will find that all of the most eminent historians agree that Cyprian is one of the chief proponents of the collegiality of bishops, and this comes out time and again in De. Unit. Eccles., especially when the treatise is read in light of Cyprian's extant epistles. You cited from St. Cyprian's On the Unity of The Church, and stated the rather standard Roman interpretation of a particular passage from the fourth section. We will find, however, that this Roman interpretation is flawed, for two reasons. First, there exist two versions, as well as some evidence of interpolation, or, at very least, redaction. The text you have quoted is the longer recension (or "Primacy Text"). The shorter recension, as I have it, runs thus:

If any one consider and examine these things, there is no need for lengthened discussion and arguments. There is easy proof for faith in a short summary of the truth. The Lord speaks to Peter, saying, "I say unto thee, that thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound also in heaven, and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." And again to the same He says, after His resurrection, "Feed my sheep." And although to all the apostles, after His resurrection, He gives an equal power, and says, "As the Father hath sent me, even so send I you: Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they shall be remitted unto him; and whose soever sins ye retain, they shall be retained;" yet, that He might set forth unity, He arranged by His authority the origin of that unity, as beginning from one. Assuredly the rest of the apostles were also the same as was Peter, endowed with a like partnership both of honour and power; but the beginning proceeds from unity. Which one Church, also, the Holy Spirit in the Song of Songs designated in the person of our Lord, and says, "My dove, my spotless one, is but one. She is the only one of her mother, elect of her that bare her." Does he who does not hold this unity of the Church think that he holds the faith? Does he who strives against and resists the Church trust that he is in the Church, when moreover the blessed Apostle Paul teaches the same thing, and sets forth the sacrament of unity, saying, "There is one body and one spirit, one hope of your calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God?"
[Cyprian, De Unit. Eccles., 4]

You will note the conspicuous absence of much of the language most supportive of the Roman interpretation of the papal primacy. Compare the following excerpt, which you quoted, with the text emphasized above:

Originally posted by arch.buff

yet, He founded a single Chair. That He might set forth unity, He established by His authority the origin of that unity, as having its origin in one man alone. No doubt the others were all that Peter was, but a primacy is given to Peter, and it is thus made clear that there is but one Church and one Chair. So too, even if they are all shepherds, we are shown but one flock which is to be fed by all the apostles in common accord. If a man does not hold fast to this oneness of Peter, does he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he deserts the Chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, has he confidence that he is in the Church?
[Cyprian, De Unit. Eccles. (Primacy Text), 4]

The textual issues are outlined in the second elucidation of the text in the Ante-Nicene Fathers set, which ascribes their origin to a corruption of the text by the "Romish editors". LOL It would appear that more recent scholarship has tended to ascribe the textual anomalies to a redaction, possibly made by Cyprian himself either 1) to reemphasize the collegiality of all bishops, that he consistently upheld throughout his career, against misinterpretations by those who supported the later Roman interpretation of the passage and/or 2) to counter the pretensions of Stephen, bishop of Rome, in the controversy over the rebaptism of heretics.

The second problem with the Roman interpretation is that it seeks to excise the passage in question from its proper historical context. In essence, it is the same sort of out-of-context "proof texting", that the Catholic church claims to condemn when exhibited by Protestant theologians.

That St. Cyprian felt that all bishops shared an equal authority and power is obvious. That he opposed a Roman interpretation of his words during his life is equally obvious. For Cyprian, the collegiality of bishops was the essential unity of the Church. Indeed, how can one possibly hold to the Roman interpretation of St. Cyprian's reference to the Petrine text in light of Cyprian's own words to the Seventh Council of Carthage:

"For neither does any of us set himself up as a bishop of bishops, nor by tyrannical terror does any compel his colleague to the necessity of obedience; since every bishop, according to the allowance of his liberty and power, has his own proper right of judgment, and can no more be judged by another than he himself can judge another. But let us all wait for the judgment of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is the only one that has the power both of preferring us in the government of His Church, and of judging us in our conduct there."
[Cyprian, Address to the Seventh Council of Carthage]

It should be noted, at this point, that the Seventh Council of Carthage was summoned to reaffirm a decree that was promulgated by an earlier African synod and condemned by Stephen, bishop of Rome. Furthermore, in his twenty-sixth letter, Cyprian states:

"Our Lord, whose precepts and admonitions we ought to observe, describing the honour of a bishop and the order of His Church, speaks in the Gospel, and says to Peter: "I say unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock will I build my Church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." Thence, through the changes of times and successions, the ordering of bishops and the plan of the Church flow onwards; so that the Church is founded upon the bishops, and every act of the Church is controlled by these same rulers.s Since this, then, is founded on the divine law, I marvel that some, with daring temerity, have chosen to write to me as if they wrote in the name of the Church; when the Church is established in the bishop and the clergy, and all who stand fast in the faith."
[Cyprian, Ep. XXVI]

As the editors of the ANF note, "This is the Cyprianic idea. The idea that this was peculiar to any one bishop had never entered his mind."

But more importantly, how did Cyprian, and the Church at large, respond to Pope Stephen's presumptious use of the Petrine text? Cyprian himself, as noted above, ignored Stephen's directive, and summoned a synod which reaffirmed a previous synodal decision. The Church was aghast at Stephen's arrogance. Firmilian of Caesarea, in Cappadocia, sums up this outrage well, in "one of the most important illustrations of ante-Nicene unity and its laws":

"And in this respect I am justly indignant at this so open and manifest folly of Stephen, that he who so boasts of the place of his episcopate, and contends that he holds the succession from Peter," on whom the foundations of the Church were laid, should introduce many other rocks and establish new buildings of many churches; maintaining that there is baptism in them by his authority. For they who are baptized, doubtless, fill up the number of the Church. But he who approves their baptism maintains, of those baptized, that the Church is also with them. Nor does he understand that the truth of the Christian Rock is overshadowed, and in some measure abolished, by him when he thus betrays and deserts unity. The apostle acknowledges that the Jews, although blinded by ignorance, and bound by the grossest wickedness, have yet a zeal for God. Stephen, who announces that he holds by succession the throne of Peter, is stirred with no zeal against heretics, when he concedes to them, not a moderate, but the very greatest power of grace: so far as to say and assert that, by the sacrament of baptism, the filth of the old man is washed away by them, that they pardon the former mortal sins, that they make sons of God by heavenly regeneration, and renew to eternal life by the sanctification of the divine layer. He who concedes and gives up to heretics in this way the great and heavenly gifts of the Church, what else does he do but communicate with them for whom he maintains and claims so much grace? And now he hesitates in vain to consent to them, and to be a partaker with them in other matters also, to meet together with them, and equally with them to mingle their prayers, and appoint a common altar and sacrifice."
[Cyprian, Ep. LXXIV, Firmilian to Cyprian]

Later in the letter, he has no qualms condemning Stephen more explicitly:

"How carefully has Stephen fulfilled these salutary commands and warnings of the apostle, keeping in the first place lowliness of mind and meekness! For what is more lowly or meek than to have disagreed with so many bishops throughout the whole world, breaking peace with each one of them in various kinds of discord: at one time with the eastern churches, as we are sure you know; at another time with yon who are in the south, from whom he received bishops as messengers sufficiently patiently and meekly not to receive them even to the speech of an ordinary conference; and even more, so mindful of love and charity as to command the entire fraternity, that no one should receive them into his house, so that not only peace and communion, but also a shelter and entertainment, were denied to them when they came! This is to have kept the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace, to cut himself off from the unity of love, and to make himself a stranger in all respects from his brethren, and to rebel against the sacrament and the faith with the madness of contumacious discord! With such a man can there be one Spirit and one body, in whom perchance there is not even one mind, so slippery, and shifting, and uncertain is it?

But as far as he is concerned, let us leave him; let us rather deal with that concerning which there is the greatest question. They who contend that persons baptized among the heretics ought to be received as if they had obtained the grace of lawful baptism, say that baptism is one and the same to them and to us, and differs in no respect. But what says the Apostle Paul? "One Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God." If the baptism of heretics be one and the same with ours, without doubt their faith also is one; but if our faith is one, assuredly also we have one Lord: if there is one Lord, it follows that we say that He is one. But if this unity which cannot be separated and divided at all, is itself also among heretics, why do we contend any more? Why do we call them heretics and not Christians? Moreover, since we and heretics have not one God, nor one Lord, nor one Church, nor one faith, nor even one Spirit, nor one body, it is manifest that neither can baptism be common to us with heretics, since between us there is nothing at all in common. And yet Stephen is not ashamed to afford patronage to such in opposition to the Church, and for the sake of maintaining heretics to divide the brotherhood and in addition, to call Cyprian "a false Christ and a false apostle, and a deceitful worker." And he, conscious that all these characters are in himself, has been in advance of you, by falsely objecting to another those things which he himself ought deservedly to hear. We all bid you, for all our sakes, with all the bishops who are in Africa, and all the clergy, and all the brotherhood, farewell; that, constantly of one mind, and thinking the same thing, we may find you united with us even though afar off."
[Cyprian, Ep. LXXIV, Firmilian to Cyprian]

I believe we have dispensed with the notion that Cyprian was an advocate of what gradually developed into the Roman interpretation of papal primacy. Indeed, he was certainly not an advocate of the Roman interpretation of section 4 of De Unit. Eccles. The unity of the Church, according to Cyprian, is evidenced by the collegiality of the bishops.

So what was Cyprian trying to convey in the fourth section of De Unit. Eccles.? The answer is quite simple. By referencing Peter, Cyprian shows us the singleness of the Church. By subsequently referencing the Apostles, Cyprian demonstrates that this singleness is expressed in collegiality, through an "undivided partnership". Once again, everything in the Church is relational.

I apologize for my delay in responding; sometimes too many sources can present a greater problem than too few. I wanted to treat the subject at length, both to demonstrate how dangerously misleading Roman Catholic apologetics -- and apologetics in general, for that matter -- can be. When encountering sources wherein the author seeks to misrepresent, gloss over, or ignore any issues that may contradict his or her preconceived notions, I feel it is best to provide a wealth of information. I believe we have seen that the image Roman apologists ascribe to St. Cyprian is untenable. Unfortunately, this is far from the only misrepresentation you will find in their works should you choose to look.

I would suggest that every time you see a text cited by a Catholic apologist, you immediately go to the original source. Generally, you will find that reading the material around the text that has been quoted is enough to dispense with many of the conclusions these people cook up. Sometimes it becomes necessary to examine the sources in their historical context -- which is always a good idea, whether it is necessary or not. Anyway, I wish you the best. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask; I am your servant. Smile

Merry Christmas and God bless!

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 22-Dec-2007 at 03:16
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 06:47
"The gift of the keys to Peter (Matthew 16) does signify a special authority given to Peter. Indeed Peter generally speaks for the rest; still, we must remember that Peter's status cannot be separated from his confession. If his successor falls into error, he cannot exercise the prerogatives that rightly belong to the See of Peter.

That said, each of the Patriarchal sees possesses certain prerogatives. Rome's include, among other things, the right to hear appeals, the right to sit in the first seat at an ecumenical council, etc. The gift of the keys and ancient Roman prerogatives cannot, however, be taken to imply an absolute monarchical authority. Indeed Peter himself never presumed to act in an authoritarian fashion. While he spoke first, he spoke with the Church and never in its despite."

There is not any gift of keys, that passage has corespondence in the other gospels, including Mark (the original gospel, model for others) and there are missing the refering to keys. See my message from 18-Sep-2007 at 16:25.

Peter never was at Rome, I have to repeat. This legend appeared due to the interpretation of the epistle of Clement by Corinthians. Peter died at Jerusalem, which is the Babylon from his first epistle (also from the Book of Revelation).

Also, I repeat that Rome's church was lead, up to the middle of 2nd century, by a college of priests, none having the role of leader.

To sum it up, Rome owed her primacy to her position as the capital of the oikoumene. All of the bishops are Peter's successors (more on this in our discussion of Cyprian below). And finally, the proper exercise of primacy -- the right to which the Roman Church has forfeited due to her manifest heresy -- always takes place in an ecclesial context.

Peter is the patron of the churches of Jerusalem and Antioch, so refer to these sees if you you refer to Peter's 'succesors' prerogatives.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 07:48
*sigh*

We've been over this time and again, Menumorut. I could just as easily refer you back to several things that I and MengTzu posted, where many of your concerns were addressed. Since our -- I assume you are still Orthodox -- analysis of primacy within the Church has not a fig to do with geography anyway, I fail to see why you feel the need to harp on this. In this case, you are off topic.

The time has come to move on, and discuss the original topic. If you wish, you may start your own thread.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 22-Dec-2007 at 07:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>