Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Pope: A Discussion of the Roman Primacy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Pope: A Discussion of the Roman Primacy
    Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 23:13
The understanding of the role of the Pope in the Church is a major bone of contention, not only between the Eastern and Western Churches, but also between the various Protestant denominations and the Roman Catholic Church. Pope Paul VI said that the issues surrounding the papacy represented "undoubtedly the greatest obstacle in the path of ecumenism." The debate revolves around Scripture, Patristics, and theology throughout the ages.  This issue seems to come up time and again on All Empires and often diverts threads from their original topics. I propose, therefore, that any further discussion of the Papacy take place in this thread. This is a contentious issue, and thus I will propose a set of guidelines which I believe will help the keep the discussion civil and intelligent. Here are the guidelines with brief explanations below them:

1) Introduce yourself.

Please say hello and, in the interest of intellectual honesty, state your religious affiliation.

2) Post something substantive or don't post at all.

One liners profit nobody. If you feel something is wrong, you must clearly and intelligently state why.

3) Be original.

Please do not simply copy and paste source material. At least make the effort to connect it to a point you are trying to make. Explain how material from other websites, books, ancient documents, Scripture, etc. fits into the discussion.

4) Research, then write.

This discussion could provide us all with an opportunity to engage and learn from the writings of the Church Fathers, the Scriptures, etc.; there is an enormous amount of scholarship on this topic. Unfortunately there is also a wealth of polemical material. This thread, if we decide to behave like children, could degenerate into a flame war, which brings me to the most important point...

5) Be respectful.

If we respect others we stand to learn more than if we view them with haughty disdain. Pride is almost certainly a sin of which we have all been guilty--I know I, myself, have. Insults, trolling, etc. would be both unprofitable and un-Christian.

So here we go. I am Akolouthos. I am an Orthodox Christian. I have high hopes for this thread, and look forward to discussing this issue with all of you. Smile

-Akolouthos

P.S. If anyone notices discussion of this topic in other threads, please refer/link the parties involved to this one. Wink

Edited by Akolouthos - 03-Aug-2007 at 23:19
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 02:05
secondly, i don't understand the hesitancy of affirming papal infallibility while asserting the infallibility of councils.

as regards papal infallibility, scripturally, was it just honor?

keys of the kingdom

akolouthos mentioned the papacy being monarchic - not an invalid point: peter keys' following upon the passage from Isaiah 22:20 and following, where it talks of the key to the House of David.

strengthening brethren

Lk 22:31-32 when you have turned again, strengthen your brethren. Can't think of a time in history that this is more appropriate, where some of our Christian brethren have been shaken more than others, and a time when strong Christian leadership is needed.

Primus inter pares - the honor part is clear and uncontested, the authority is the rub.

here is another explanation of the Greek Orthodox view of papal primacy:

http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article8523.asp
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 03:29
Originally posted by The Jackal God

secondly, i don't understand the hesitancy of affirming papal infallibility while asserting the infallibility of councils.

as regards papal infallibility, scripturally, was it just honor?

Well, when Vatican I defined the doctrine there was a fair amount of hesitancy. It is quite the touchy subject, and has become an insurmountable impediment to union; so long as the concept of papal infallibility exists, no matter how narrowly it is defined and redefined, the Orthodox will be unable to recognize the Roman bishop.

We accept the infallibility of the Ecumenical Councils because they are the vehicles through which the Holy Spirit has directed the Church--guiding it into all truth according to the promise of Christ--since its inception (See John 16 and the Council of Jerusalem). We cannot accept the infallibility of any individual. Even Roman theologians admit that the idea that the pope--or any other individual--can ever speak infallibly was unknown in antiquity.

In addition to these general problems, one pope (Honorius I) was anathematized as a monothelite by the Sixth Ecumenical Council for his heretical correspondence with Sergius, Patriarch of Constantinople. Some of the most respected Roman historians, and most Eastern scholars believe his letter constitutes an ex cathedra document, being, as it was, a definitive doctrinal statement issued in response to a request for theological definition. The supporters of infallibility, of course, do not believe that his letter is an ex cathedra pronouncement.

keys of the kingdom

akolouthos mentioned the papacy being monarchic - not an invalid point: peter keys' following upon the passage from Isaiah 22:20 and following, where it talks of the key to the House of David.

The gift of the keys to Peter (Matthew 16) does signify a special authority given to Peter. Indeed Peter generally speaks for the rest; still, we must remember that Peter's status cannot be separated from his confession. If his successor falls into error, he cannot exercise the prerogatives that rightly belong to the See of Peter.

That said, each of the Patriarchal sees possesses certain prerogatives. Rome's include, among other things, the right to hear appeals, the right to sit in the first seat at an ecumenical council, etc. The gift of the keys and ancient Roman prerogatives cannot, however, be taken to imply an absolute monarchical authority. Indeed Peter himself never presumed to act in an authoritarian fashion. While he spoke first, he spoke with the Church and never in its despite.

strengthening brethren

Lk 22:31-32 when you have turned again, strengthen your brethren. Can't think of a time in history that this is more appropriate, where some of our Christian brethren have been shaken more than others, and a time when strong Christian leadership is needed.

Aye, and that is why the Orthodox earnestly await a day when the popes are once again in communion with the Church. Then, they can exercise the rights and privileges that properly belong to a canonical Bishop of Rome. From an Orthodox perspective, however, the pope can hardly strengthen Christian brethren in the orthodox faith if he does not share that faith, in every particular, himself.

Primus inter pares - the honor part is clear and uncontested, the authority is the rub.

Aye, that is the question. We Orthodox do recognize the primacy of honor to which a canonical bishop of Rome is entitled. We also recognize that the Roman see has certain prerogatives belonging exclusively to her. We do not, however, recognize the primacy as it has been interpreted in the West--and especially as it has been interpreted by the Roman Church since the Schism.

Thank you for moving that post. Smile I think that this has the potential to be a wonderful thread. Could you please do me one more favor and introduce yourself? I know--or at least I think I know--that you are Catholic, but I think if everyone introduces themselves and notes their religious affiliation we will be more able to respectfully relate to each other.

God bless and keep you. Smile

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 04-Aug-2007 at 03:43
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 12:44
yes, i am catholic.

here's another passage supporting the Roman interpretation:

Acts of the Apostles, Peter's visit to Cornelius - Holy Spirit reveals something to Peter, and Peter alone, and Peter alone reveals it to the Church as a whole by himself, on his own authority.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 13:11
Sorry it took me so long to respond; I've been a bit strapped for time. I may or may not be able to get to the forum over the course of the next couple of days. Anyway, here we go... Smile

Originally posted by The_Jackal_God

yes, i am catholic.

here's another passage supporting the Roman interpretation:

Acts of the Apostles, Peter's visit to Cornelius - Holy Spirit reveals something to Peter, and Peter alone, and Peter alone reveals it to the Church as a whole by himself, on his own authority.

I guess my question would run thus: how does it help the Roman interpretation?

Don't get me wrong, the meaning you have ascribed to the passage would seem to support part of the Roman understanding of papal primacy, but is that the way the passage has been interpreted by the Church through the ages? I briefly skimmed what Chrysostom and Augustine had to say about the passage, and couldn't find anything that suggests the rather narrow interpretation suggested above.

Still, I think the assertion that the "Holy Spirit reveals something to Peter," and Peter subsequently reveals it to the Church on his own authority tells part of the story; I would, however, remove the word "alone" from the statement. For you see Peter, on his own apostolic authority, receives the message from the Holy Spirit on behalf of the Church; he is appointed as the one to relay this divine instruction to the rest of the early Church. But why does Peter first receive this message?

Let us engage in a bit of exegesis--and only a bit for now. Wink You have suggested one reason why Peter is the one to receive this message--although I feel that you have read a bit much into it; Peter receives the message in the context of his role as the leader of the Apostles. Still, it is recorded in the Scriptures that Peter has a bit of trouble with this message. Indeed he receives this message in Acts 10, plays the instrumental role in the establishment of the early Gentile Church, and defends the revelation in Acts 15 at the Council of Jerusalem. In Galatians 2, however, it is noted that Peter allowed himself to fall into hypocrisy, and did not heed the spirit of the decree of Jerusalem that he, himself, had helped to secure. Paul corrected Peter, and the fullness of the revelation concerning the Gentiles, which was first committed to Peter, was preserved because of that correction.

The leadership role held by Peter in the early Church is not a matter of dispute; the nature of that leadership is. I fail to see how Acts 10, when taken in the context of Scripture, provides an argument in favor of a monarchical papacy.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 07-Aug-2007 at 13:24
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 17:01

I am lutheran for the record and my knowledge on theology is quite poor so I'll just give my initial opinions on this rather contested topic.

I can't speak for others but for myself the one thing about the pope that is a bone of contention for me is how he was basically a king in all but name for centuries, the hypocrisy of it all is just too much.  Also I don't like the idea of a hierachy in regards to religion, I believe you can pray to christ and so on by yourself without the help of other humans who are just as imperfect as yourself simply more schooled in theology.  The idea that the pope is gods vicar on earth I refuse out of hand absolutely, the idea is preposterous to me.
There is a lot more I would like to add but for the moment this will have to do.
Of course if I offended anybody that is clearly not my intention.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 18:09
Great thread Akolouthos!

I think this thread is sorely needed as many have many questions on the subject.

If we take what Christ has said in the Gospels(as most Christians do) to spell out in simple chapter and verse*sorry couldnt resistLOL* of Peters primacy and leadership role then why no succesor? Why would Christ set up a leadership role only to have it dissolve? Why would the Apostolic Church let something Christ has made fall into extinction?

Also other than taking from the Gospels, in the year 97 serious disagreements fell upon the Church of Corinth whereby Clement, the Bishop of Rome, wrote out an authorative letter to restore peace. At this time St. John was still alive in Ephesus and did not intercede or interfere
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 01:49
Hello. For the record I am Jewish and belong to a Conservative synagogue, though my views on certain issues often fall more in line with Reform or Orthodox theology. My religious education consists of three years at a Reform Jewish day school, six years at an Orthodox Jewish Hebrew school, two years at a Catholic parish middle school and two years at a Jesuit high school (which I attend now). Outside of Jewish sources the Jesuits have particularly influenced my personal theology.

Anyhow, back on topic. In regards to Justinian's post, I would beg to differ. It was only during the Enlightenment that the doctrine of seperation of Church and State gained any real support in Europe. As such, up until the point, it was fully acceptable and indeed expected that the Pope, imbued with religious authority as he was, would also be imbued with temporal authority. The bone of contention between the Pope and Eastern Christianity (East Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Assyrian Orthodox) is the insistance of the Pope to hold absolute authority as the sole head of Christianity rather than as the "first among equals". The bone of contention between the Pope and most of Protestantism is, indeed, hypocrisy, but not hypocrisy in that they held temporal as well as spiritual authority, but that they sacrificed Christian values and fundamentals for the sake of increased monetary and material holdings.

In regards to arch.buff, I would have to disagree enthusiastically with the statement that most Christians take the Gospels to spell out, well, anything in simple and plain language. Protestants and fundamentalists may try to interpret scripture in a simple manner, but Catholics and Eastern Christians, who make up by far the majority of Christianity, have a proud and vibrant tradition of interpretation. One can not take anything for granted when reading scripture, especially since plain meaning differs vastly based on who is reading the scripture. As Akolouthos has pointed out, there is significant basis on which to interpret scripture as placing the Pope of Rome as a first among equals, not the sole and omniscient head of the Church.

As for the letter, first, it is now generally dated to before the papacy of Pope Clement I, falling during the papacy of St. Peter if the numbering of Clement as the second pope is accepted, thus negating the issue of the letter taking a leadership role. Additionally, the authorisation is further doubted as Clement is never mentioned by name in the letter. Similarly, the authority and reliability of the letter was doubted enough that even though it was written around the same time as the Book of Revelation and widely circulated throughout much of the Byzantine Empire, it was not placed in the official cannon of the bible. More importantly, the letter, from what I have seen, does not take the definitive leadership role equatable to the theology of the papacy in modern Catholicism that you say it does. The letter is merely adressed as "the Church of God which sojourneth in Rome to the Church of God which sojourneth in Corinth". Here the pope is taking an advisory role just as any other patriarch of the Pentarchy would.

More important than any of this, however, is that at the First Council of Nicaea in 325 CE, the Pope of Rome and the Pope of Alexandria were placed on an equal footing. According to the sixth cannon of the Council the Pope of Alexandria and Pope of Rome are placed as having jurisdiction as first amoung equals in their respective regions. In fact, the Pope of Alexandria had in some ways a greater position than the Pope of Rome, having the authority to annually discern the exact date of Easter, making him in effect the most powerful single authority in Christendom theologically. The fact is is that the theology of the supreme jurisdiction of the Pope of Rome came about at a much later date, the early councils and theologians confirming the equality of the Pentarchy and within it the equality of the Popes of Rome and Alexandria as firsts among equals.

Edited by B'tzalel91 - 11-Aug-2007 at 01:50
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 08:59
welcome to the forum  B'tzalel91, your contribution is much appreciated

Edited by Leonidas - 11-Aug-2007 at 09:01
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 12:26
Originally posted by arch.buff

If we take what Christ has said in the Gospels(as most Christians do) to spell out in simple chapter and verse*sorry couldnt resistLOL* of Peters primacy and leadership role then why no succesor? Why would Christ set up a leadership role only to have it dissolve? Why would the Apostolic Church let something Christ has made fall into extinction?
Peter's place of honour did not compromise or effect to the slightest the independence of the other Apostles in the Acts. So one can only understand the nature of his preeminence as one amongst equals rather than a leader with total authority. The Latin view is simply  inconsistent with how the Apostles acted and treated each other, according to the bible.

Did not Paul disagree with Peter and even James? I suspect James is completely underrated in authority by the latter Pauline Christians.  I don't recall he ever agreed to the diluting of the Mosaic law and seems to be the undisputed head of all Judiac Christians in Jerusalem. This would not fit well with the Latin view of Peter.

For example; look at how the apostles consider the issue of mosiac law (circumcision) in Acts 15; the apostles gather to discuss the issue. They don't sit around Peter listening to his words. But as Peter does talk in this matter, so does James who also makes a judgment on the matter quoting the OT. Here James spoke with as much authority - Acts 15(13-21). Further, the apostles one sentence later collectively decide to send Paul and Barnabas to Antioch. If one comes up with a sentence of proof of the Latin view point, there are many others that would suggest the reality at the time was otherwise.

edit: grammar/English improvementsEmbarrassed

Edited by Leonidas - 12-Aug-2007 at 05:42
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 00:34
My apologies to you all; I have been away for a bit. I returned, however, to find that this discussion has gone on quite civilly and successfully without me--no surprise there. Smile I will take a closer look at this thread in the next couple of days, and look forward to discussing this important topic with you all. I will also, gradually, be responding to pms; once again, my apologies for the delay.

Welcome to the thread Justinian, arch.buff, and Leonidas, and welcome to the forum B'tzalel91!

-Akolouthos
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 10:45
Hi there.

I am a Roman Catholic who studied Christian thought in college.

My professor describe the problem in the following manner, which is totally political and not theological:

the East had many great Bishops, while the West had only one, Rome. When there was a dispute among the Eastern bishops, these would take sides among themselves and Rome, the geographic outsider, often played the role of the tie breaker. As such, this did give a bit more of power to Rome. At some point, the supremacy of the Roman patriarch, the Papa of the western world, began to be assume by the Roman bishop. As such, it was a very late introduction. The Eastern patriarchs responded to this situation the way most people would do: they made it clear that the Pope was wrong.

Even as a Roman Catholic, I see that the Eastern patriarchs have been right, and the leadership of the Western Church has been wrong. And the Eastern Church has been very accommodating by conceding the point about the pope being the "first among equals," a title for which there is very weak scriptural or historical evidence. The passage of the keys of heaven is very obscure and it probably has some religious meaning rather than a political one, as Jesus in the Gospels seems to focus on spiritual teachings rather than administrative matters.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 12:01
good posts all...

one thing that it appears to me to be an assumption, maybe we could talk about it, that the question is either papal supremacy (and infallibility) OR ecumenical decrees/councils. someone noted hesitancy something to the effect of "what if the pope interfered too much" w/ orthodox churches were they to accept papal supremacy.

first, i don't think it is a matter of one or the other. the idea of papal infallibility doesn't make Church councils obsolete in any way. In fact, Church councils and synods have been used much more than papal declarations ex cathedra (infallibility); and then if we mention the national chapters, then that really shows how much more vibrant the concept of collegiality is being used in the Western Church alongside the concept of papal infallibility. (which follows the pattern of the gospels and early church history - two modes of reaching Truth)

that Clement's letter is now not attributed to him is news to me. ofc, the last i touched on that subject was apologetics in highschool 10 years ago. i'll look into that.

finally, with the hesitancy towards roman universal immediate jurisdiction, perhaps take a look at the degree of Papal interference in the Sees of the other Western Bishops. you won't find much, even in the case of Bishops who are on the edge of the flock. i wouldn't expect more interference in the east than in the west, were they to reunite.

on the side, i went to an Abyssinian Orthodox Christmas vigil mass. very nice, very long, didn't understand a word, but very nice.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 00:29

that Clement's letter is now not attributed to him is news to me.

It's news to me too. I knew that we had two pseudo-Clementine letters, but always thought the first (the one to the Corinthians) was authentic. But since B'tzalel91 seems to be fairly familiar with patristic scholarship (are you really in high school B'tzalel? if so, bravo! Smile) I think we should look into it a bit. Since the content of the letter is the essence of the matter, I don't think the question of authorship should prove too contentious. I do seem to recall that there were two separate accounts of the early papacy--one placing Clement as second, and one (Irenaeus, perhaps?) placing him as fourth. Anyway, from what I have read, the content of the letter is as B'tzalel91 describes it. Admittedly I have not studied it for a good while; if anyone wishes to provide an in depth analysis supporting the Roman position, I would be willing to participate in a discussion.

one thing that it appears to me to be an assumption, maybe we could talk about it, that the question is either papal supremacy (and infallibility) OR ecumenical decrees/councils.

An excellent point, and one that strikes at the heart of the matter. The Orthodox--and a great deal of the Roman Catholic--position re. the infallibility of the Ecumenical Councils is based upon John 16 in light of the Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15. Since we believe that the Holy Spirit will lead the Church into "all truth," and since the Apostolic method of discerning truth with relation to questions of universal importance involved gathering in council, the Orthodox support the infallibility of Ecumenical Councils.

first, i don't think it is a matter of one or the other. the idea of papal infallibility doesn't make Church councils obsolete in any way. In fact, Church councils and synods have been used much more than papal declarations ex cathedra (infallibility); and then if we mention the national chapters, then that really shows how much more vibrant the concept of collegiality is being used in the Western Church alongside the concept of papal infallibility. (which follows the pattern of the gospels and early church history - two modes of reaching Truth)

I grant that the Roman Catholic Church has held an Ecumenical Council since the solemn definition of Vatican I re. papal infallibility. Still, even before Vatican I the Roman Catholic Church asserted that a council, whether Ecumenical or local, must be recognized by the Pope to be valid. This is inconsistent with the history of the Ecumenical era; indeed the disputed canons of Constantinople I and Chalcedon, though not fully promulgated or even recognized in the west until after the fourth crusade, were in full effect throughout the rest of the Church. Could you please explain the idea of "national chapters" to me? I am unfamiliar with the term.

As far as papal infallibility goes, the Orthodox Church does not recognize any individual as infallible, no matter how narrowly this infallibility is defined. We believe that the method by which universal decrees and dogmas are promulgated is universal.

finally, with the hesitancy towards roman universal immediate jurisdiction, perhaps take a look at the degree of Papal interference in the Sees of the other Western Bishops. you won't find much, even in the case of Bishops who are on the edge of the flock. i wouldn't expect more interference in the east than in the west, were they to reunite.

Ah, but there is interference, and from an early age. Indeed we can find evidence of the beginning of papal universal claims as early as the third century; the key issue is the degree to which they were accepted by the Church universal. Certainly there was a great deal of attempted interference during the Middle Ages, especially during the Latin Empire, which was a product of the Fourth Crusade.

The issue is not how much interference takes place; the issue is whether or not any interference is justified.

on the side, i went to an Abyssinian Orthodox Christmas vigil mass. very nice, very long, didn't understand a word, but very nice.

I've never been to an Ethiopian Orthodox Church; I shall try not to display too openly my envy. Smile

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 15-Aug-2007 at 00:33
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 12:44
Originally posted by B'tzalel91

In regards to arch.buff, I would have to disagree enthusiastically with the statement that most Christians take the Gospels to spell out, well, anything in simple and plain language. Protestants and fundamentalists may try to interpret scripture in a simple manner, but Catholics and Eastern Christians, who make up by far the majority of Christianity, have a proud and vibrant tradition of interpretation. One can not take anything for granted when reading scripture, especially since plain meaning differs vastly based on who is reading the scripture. As Akolouthos has pointed out, there is significant basis on which to interpret scripture as placing the Pope of Rome as a first among equals, not the sole and omniscient head of the Church.

As for the letter, first, it is now generally dated to before the papacy of Pope Clement I, falling during the papacy of St. Peter if the numbering of Clement as the second pope is accepted, thus negating the issue of the letter taking a leadership role. Additionally, the authorisation is further doubted as Clement is never mentioned by name in the letter. Similarly, the authority and reliability of the letter was doubted enough that even though it was written around the same time as the Book of Revelation and widely circulated throughout much of the Byzantine Empire, it was not placed in the official cannon of the bible. More importantly, the letter, from what I have seen, does not take the definitive leadership role equatable to the theology of the papacy in modern Catholicism that you say it does. The letter is merely adressed as "the Church of God which sojourneth in Rome to the Church of God which sojourneth in Corinth". Here the pope is taking an advisory role just as any other patriarch of the Pentarchy would.

Apologies Akolouthos for not following the rules and introducing myself.

Im arch.buff and I am Catholic. One would presume by the admission that I sternly believe in the nature of the Pope. Well....its not so cut-and-dry for me at this point in my life it is a truth, or lack there of, that I struggle with. Through prayer and a ever growing knowledge on the matter I hope to one day be fully immersed in the truth, but for now I am torn.

On the matter of the letter, Oh hello by the way b'tzale, it seems to me that the Church of Corinth itself very early on viewed this letter to be authored by Clement.

"Today we observed the Lord's holy day, in which we have read your letter[Pope Soter]. Whenever we do read it [in church], we shall be able to profit thereby, as also we do when we read the earlier letter written to us by Clement"

(Letter to Pope Soter from Dionysius Bishop of Corinth in Eusebius, Church History 4:23:11 - A.D. 170)

Dionysius, himself a Bishop expressing the views of the church, views the letter to be authored or at least approved and sent off to the Church of Corinth by Clement.

If we read earlier in the text:

"For from the beginning it has been your custom to do good to all the brethren in various ways and to send contributions to all the churches in every city...This custom your precious Bishop Soter has not only preserved, but is augmenting, by furnishing an abundance of supplies to the saints and by urging with consoling words, as aloving father his children, the brethren who are journeying" (ibid 4:23:9)

Again I myself, a Catholic, am on the fence about the nature of the Bishop of Rome but I can see some content that suggests it and the one thing keeping me going is the New Testament and Peters actions therein...

Also sorry for the bad grammar if there is any, blew right thru this post and to b'tzale sorry if I offended you or anyone else here on the board I guess sometimes I get a lil too tongue-and-cheek. I dont view the Bible as a simple book, it was just a corny phrase that "fit the bill" at the time....so to speak.   Tongue

Peace be with you all,

Arch.buff

Edited by arch.buff - 15-Aug-2007 at 13:07
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 23:33
ako, you seem like you studied the councils extensively. bravo! can you tell me which cannons weren't accepted in the west from Chalcedon?

by national chapters i meant to refer to councils of bishops by nations

as for ethiopian orthodox, there might be some near you. DC, Windsor-Detroit, Minneapolis, Nashville, Toronto all have ethiopian orthodox churches (well, not sure about minneapolis)

my point about interference wasn't directed along the lines of intellectual, just allaying possible worries from the "so what if then"

ako, here's a question for you: i dont understand well the relationship between the various Orthodox Churches.

for instance, i think the Copts and Abyssinians consider themselves theologically, ecclesiastically separate from the others and each other (Monophysites?)

what about the Greek, Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian...Orthodox Churches?

can you explain it bearing in mind the mindset of a Roman Catholic, where it seems on first impressions there is more unity across national boundaries?
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2007 at 23:47

Apologies Akolouthos for not following the rules and introducing myself.

Im arch.buff and I am Catholic. One would presume by the admission that I sternly believe in the nature of the Pope. Well....its not so cut-and-dry for me at this point in my life it is a truth, or lack there of, that I struggle with. Through prayer and a ever growing knowledge on the matter I hope to one day be fully immersed in the truth, but for now I am torn.

No apologies necessary, arch.buff. Thanks for looking over the rules; I am convinced that you have looked over the rules both by your introduction and by the non-polemical nature of your post. Smile

Though I believe we might differ with regard to the interpretation of Clement's letter, I have always heard it attributed to Clement until very recently. It would appear, however, that B'tzalel is correct in asserting that some modern scholars have found reason to doubt Clement's authorship, but I myself will continue to hold to the majority view which affirms the traditional position asserting Clementine authorship.

Again I myself, a Catholic, am on the fence about the nature of the Bishop of Rome but I can see some content that suggests it and the one thing keeping me going is the New Testament and Peters actions therein...

Also sorry for the bad grammar if there is any, blew right thru this post and to b'tzale sorry if I offended you or anyone else here on the board I guess sometimes I get a lil too tongue-and-cheek. I dont view the Bible as a simple book, it was just a corny phrase that "fit the bill" at the time....so to speak.   Tongue

Peace be with you all,

Arch.buff

Could you please elaborate as to which passages you believe support the Roman Catholic interpretation and why? It is always interesting to see how differing interpretations lead to differing theological viewpoints. In so many of these passages the separation between Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic theology is a matter of degree; we agree on a substantial number of underlying issues.

ako, you seem like you studied the councils extensively. bravo! can you tell me which cannons weren't accepted in the west from Chalcedon?

Embarrassed

Thank you.

Canon II of the Council of Constantinople (381 A.D.) and Canon XXVIII of the Council of Chalcedon (451 A.D.) were not accepted by Rome at first. As I recall they gained eventual acceptance after the Fourth Crusade sacked Constantinople, but I may be wrong here--I apologize, but I do not have my books with me. I also believe that one of the canons (was it XXVIII again?) of Chalcedon granted the Patriarch of Constantinople the right to hear appeals from individuals outside of his immediate jurisdiction--a right previously granted to Rome by the local Council of Sardica (343 A.D. ?).

The canons were still promulgated in the East (and were de facto in force universally, despite the refusal of successive popes to ratify them). Still, it is important to note that Constantinople I constitutes, as near as I can figure, the first time the Bishop of Rome tried to exercise a "line-item veto." The difficult thing about this whole era is that the Roman bishops were claiming prerogatives that weren't recognized by the Eastern Patriarchs and the bishops of Constantinople were claiming prerogatives that weren't recognized by the Pope.

ako, here's a question for you: i dont understand well the relationship between the various Orthodox Churches.

for instance, i think the Copts and Abyssinians consider themselves theologically, ecclesiastically separate from the others and each other (Monophysites?)

Well the Ethiopians and Copts are part of the Oriental Orthodox Communion, and they are monophysites--although they would prefer the term miaphysites, as they, like the Orthodox and Catholic churches, oppose Eutychian monophysitism. They are not in communion with the Orthodox Church, but there is a good deal of ecumenical dialogue going on. Many feel that the point of contention between orthodox and the monophysites was exaggerated due to the contentious nature of fifth century theological dialogue.

Originally posted by The Jackal god

what about the Greek, Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian...Orthodox Churches? can you explain it bearing in mind the mindset of a Roman Catholic, where it seems on first impressions there is more unity across national boundaries?

Well, if you ask famous Catholic apologist Scott Hahn (who, while he is extremely well versed *ahem* when it comes to Scripture and Tradition, is fairly clueless when it comes to Orthodox ecclesiology), we are exactly like Protestants only divided along ethnic lines. LOL

Actually, the Orthodox national churches are in full communion with each other--if I prepare I may receive communion in the Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian, etc. churches. This is actually quite like the situation in the New Testament era; think of the national churches as local manifestations of the universal body (or in scriptural terms as "the Church at Russia," "the Church at Greece," and so on).

I don't know if that is very helpful, and apologize if it is not. Please let me know if I have failed to clearly present the Orthodox perspective.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 21-Aug-2007 at 23:55
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 23:00

so if orthodoxy is organized around national churches, is there an american orthodox church, australian, welsh...and if not, why?

and the various national orthodox churches are in complete theological and juridical communion?

does the patriarch of Constantinople still hold his position of pre-eminence, and how does his position contend w/ that of the Russian patriarch's?

i recall the words of one Russian patriarch saying communion with Rome can never happen, while the former pope and the patriarch bartholomeos got along rather well, holding a different opinion.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 00:20
Originally posted by The_Jackal_God

so if orthodoxy is organized around national churches, is there an american orthodox church, australian, welsh...and if not, why?

and the various national orthodox churches are in complete theological and juridical communion?

I don't know about the Australians, but I would imagine that they are still subject--whether directly or as an autonomous entity--to the Ecumenical Patriarch. Leonidas, being an Australian Orthodox Christian, would know better than I. If he is unable to post, I could look into it. The situation in Western Europe and America--with the exception of Alaska-- involves diaspora communities. After the schism the Orthodox Church, out of economia stemming from a concern for Christian unity, was reluctant to plant churches in the West as a matter of policy. The Church thus spread to much of the West as a result of emigration resulting from the oppression of Christian communities in the Middle East and the Ottoman Empire.

Thus, religious refugees entered America (the example with which I am most familiar) from a number of Orthodox countries piecemeal, and still subordinate to their Old World hierarchs. This has led to a rather interesting situation which will, ideally, be taken up by the next, long-awaited Pan-Orthodox Council. In America, we have separate jurisdictions (Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, OCA, Antiochian Archdiocese, etc.) in full communion with each other but subject to their own, particular episcopal hierarchies. The situation is far from ideal, and is not recognized as a permanent canonical solution. While it does not affect the Eucharistic unity of the Church universal, it does have practical ramifications which are undesirable. These jurisdictions are unquestionably in complete theological communion. By virtue of the fact that they share a common canonical tradition which extends well past the Ecumenical era, and, by virtue of the fact that their hierarchs are in communion, they are also in juridical communion.

does the patriarch of Constantinople still hold his position of pre-eminence, and how does his position contend w/ that of the Russian patriarch's?

The Patriarch of Constantinople does, indeed, still hold his position of pre-eminence. It is likely that the next Pan-Orthodox Council will clarify the ranking of the Patriarchal sees, since several have been founded in the millenia-and-a-half since Chalcedon established their order. The Russian Patriarchs, as the leaders of the largest local Orthodox Church, understandably, are eager to have this matter dealt with by the universal Church.

It is unlikely that the Russian Patriarch would be elevated above Constantinople--note that though Rome was a shadow of its former self, the position of its bishop as primus inter pares was reaffirmed by Chalcedon. Still, it is not necessarily impossible; after all, Constantinople was elevated above Alexandria, and the decrees of an Ecumenical Council--if the Pan Orthodox Council is deemed such--are binding on the entire Church.

i recall the words of one Russian patriarch saying communion with Rome can never happen, while the former pope and the patriarch bartholomeos got along rather well, holding a different opinion.

The Ecumenical Patriarchate has, since the middle of the twentieth century, been more receptive to Ecumenical dialogue than the Russian Church. Still, unless certain underlying theological issues are addressed, this dialogue will come to nothing. The Orthodox Church cannot accept, for instance, the Roman Catholic interpretation of the primacy and belief in the infallibility of the popes. The comments of any individual Patriarch in this matter hold a great deal of weight, but the issue of reunification would ultimately need to be taken up by an Ecumenical Council.

Hope that clears things up a bit; I have never been all that organized. LOL God bless and keep you, Jackal God. Smile

-Akolouthos

Addendum: I may post this in the Greek Orthodoxy thread tomorrow, both because I feel it would fit better there and because I think you have raised some extremely important questions which many would benefit from considering.

Edited by Akolouthos - 23-Aug-2007 at 00:33
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 01:06
fascinating answers, thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>