Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advantage of being white?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advantage of being white?
    Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 03:39
That I never herd of. Could you add some more details, please? I am curious.
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 14:12

I wish I still had the link. It's much better explained.

According to the person who wrote the article mentioning this theory, Europeans were initially brown-skinned (as a matter of fact, he claims that everyone was brownish/reddish skinned). This was while they were hunter-gatherers. Then agriculture came along, and Europeans did not have the dietary source of vitamin D, so they began to have gradually whiter skin. The eskimos - according to the man - are darker than Europeans because they consume a lot of vitamin D with their food.

Go search Google. There's a better explanation

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 05:41
Originally posted by Serge L

map of the world showing the distributiion of human skin color in about 1500 A.D.--darker skin colors are found mostly between 20 degrees north and south of the equator

Above is the famous map of human skin pigmentation collected by R. Biasutti for native populations prior to 1940.

I don't believe entirely on that map. Look at Asia - according to the map all asians have equally dark skin, which is not true since there are huge variations (uighurs and mongolians are darker than the average chinese etc). Also it shows the smi as asians (look at the Kola peninsula) and that's not true either

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 11:25
It doesn't show the Sami as Asians, it shows them as having a particular skin tone range, the same as southern Europe incidently, are you going to suggest that they are Asian too? Snce when is 'Asianness' based on skin tone? Since never.
Arrrgh!!"
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 12:09

Not Asians then, but it's wrong anyway. There is no skin-tone difference between nordic poeple and smi, but there is a difference between smi and asians

And the Eurasian map ought to show more variations, according to the map tibetans and spanish poeple have the same skin tone... Well I've never seen spaniards with this skin:

http://www.talismanpress.com/images/photos/tibetans_GH.jpg

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 12:19

I do agree with Mangudai.
The southern and central Mexico should reflect a larger darker skin population than Northern Mexico. The Yucatan Peninsula and Chiapas has 90% Mayan / Mestizo population.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 12:25
[quote]And the Eurasian map ought to show more variations, according to the map tibetans and spanish poeple have the same skin tone... Well I've never seen spaniards with this skin/quote]

Actualy, if you look carefully, part of where Tibet is, there is an arm of slightly darker tone raeching into it.
But yes, i'd agree that the map lacks detail, but then it is a small and basic looking one.
Arrrgh!!"
lastbout View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote lastbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 22:53
What of the Medditeranian peoples? Aren't some significantly darker than just a slight shade as the map shows..?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 11:46
Not substantialy so in my experience, but then you have to consider that some people tan on purpose to the extend of being quite brown, so baring that in mind, young Swedes are darker than Brits 
Arrrgh!!"
Hrodger View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hrodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 19:46
Originally posted by Serge L

map_of_skin_color_distribution.gif">

The map is misleading. It shows an area in northern Africa as being
populated by "whites," but that is untrue.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 20:01
The map is misleading. It shows an area in northern Africa as being
populated by "whites," but that is untrue.

No it doesn't.
The map clearly shows that people in a part of North Western Africa have the same or very similar skin tone to people in Parts of Souther Europe. Which is true.

Now, you can use that to determine 'whiteness' (something which is primarily culturaly defined), or insist that only people from Europe can be white, or whatever. But either way, the map doesn't show that Parts of N. Africa is populated by whites. You, the observer, have coloured the map with your own interpretations

That said, the area just under the coastal strip looks iffy, maybe its an era it was intended to be the 15-17 range. Maybe they are genuinly light-skinned Berber types, who knows. But the map doesn't state that they are white, so, i guess the point stands.
Arrrgh!!"
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 06:38
Maybe the fact some migrations are left out of consideration in this map causes your troubles? Because as mentioned by the poster, the map discards the fairly recent migration to the Americas, so maybe it discards other movements as well.
Whatever you do, don't
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 07:38

Well according to the map, these guys have the same skintone...

Yeah right!

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 07:55

I wonder how you read the map, Mangudai?

Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 10:10
Originally posted by Alparslan

I wonder how you read the map, Mangudai?

The map indicates 12-14 green in both Northern Norway and northern Algeria-Morocco

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 12:36
As I said, maybe the map isn't fit for the real world; but more a theoretical display of how skintones would be distributed if it wasn't for migration, or maybe other cultural factors or something.
Whatever you do, don't
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 15:35
The map indicates 12-14 green in both Northern Norway and northern Algeria-Morocco

That region between Algeria and Morocco is inhabited by many Berbers, who don't all look like the folks in your pic, in fact they look more like Turegs (sp), who live in the Sahara. Way to use intentionaly selective images to try and prove a point.
That said, i think its a given its just an error, and is intended to represent the 15-17 zone.
Arrrgh!!"
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 12:56

I se my map caused some rumor. Strange, since it's been very common  material among physical anthropologists for some decades. You can find it on many websites, for instance.

However, it's just a sketchy and approssimative breakdown. Please consider that each color on the map coresponds to 3 to 12 different skin shade (as defined in another old and well known table . . . have a google search and you will surely find it), to the average skin tone of a certain area (tones can differ a lot in the same area!), to untanned skin (in some populations, like Mediterraneans, skin can be even 7 or 8 tones darker when tanned!), that it ignores differences between tones due to melanine and to other pigments,like carotene (which givew yellow-reddish shades) etc.

However, if someone can find (or create!) a moe precise map, feel free to post it . . .

lastbout View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote lastbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 16:32

lastbout View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote lastbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 16:32

I found this map, wat do you think of it..?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>