Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mastodon found in northern Greece

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mastodon found in northern Greece
    Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 03:20
Few days ago a prehistoric mammoth-like animal was found in northern Greece, in the area of Milia near to the city of Grevena. According the first calculations the animal was 3,5m tall and weight around 6 tons.

The most important thing of this excavation is the intact 5m long tusks, the longest that they have been found yet on this kind of animals.

Artists%20impression%20of%20mastodon%20%28pic:%20by%20Remie%20Bakker,%20courtesy%20of%20Dick%20Mol%29    Palaeontologists%20with%20mastodon%20tusks%20in%20Greece%20%28pic:%20Prof%20Evangelia%20Tsoukala,%202007%29

Λείψανα%20προϊστορικού%20μαμούθ%20στα%20Γρεβενά%20%20

The scientists believe that this new finding is going to reveal the reason behind the extinction of mastodons 3 million years ago in Europe, while in North America extinct 10000 years ago.

The excavation team was consisted by greek and dutch scientists.

news.bbc.co.uk/nolpda/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_6913000/6913366.stm

Edited by Giannis - 03-Aug-2007 at 03:28
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 23:45
The mammal must have been in fairly open conditions with tusks as big as that, having curved tusks makes more environmental sense. Yet, that would depend upon the local conditions. Always dangerous to over specialize when evolving to suit only the one set of circumstances for they do change. 
elenos
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 06:59
Those tusks are monumental aren't they! They probably served a similar purpose to modern day elephants' tusks. That is, during combat, knocking over trees, scraping rock for salt.etc, but what would be the advantage in such elongated tusks? Who knows...
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 07:45
The only thing I can think of is the super tusks would make a sort of tripod effect when eating or resting. 
elenos
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 15:58
I bet that mastadon was Turkish:

Arguments:

1. Northern Balkans were mostly turcik by the time at the end of ice age
2. Since Troyans and etruscans were both TURK, then middle of them have to be turk as well.
3. Mastadons had Turkish blood in their veines
4. It was probably from the mastadon army attacking Greeks in south Balkans

History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 20:38
Yes, I also believe they could have used the tusks for spearing trolls. 
elenos
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 08:16
Maybe the north of greece can change its name to Mastadonia and change the age-old disputes about that.. :(
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 08:35
Lol, very good Dan and we can call masto.. no, I had better not say it. 
elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply