Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How long have you been living at home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long have you been living at home?
    Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 17:36
How long have your people been living at your current geographical location? Estonians, if i scrape the depths of my mind, have been living at our present location for atleast since 2000 B.C., maybe a lot longer. Agriculture was a part of the native life here since 3000 B.C. Estonians, for a long time, were also the most northern people dealing with agriculture due to the true Estonian invention, the rehi.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 00:05
Norwegians, according to my history book, have lived here about 12,000 years. Since the last big glaciers retracted
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 02:03

12,000 years ago Iranians really lived at home, 12,000 years old Meymand village in Kerman:

And they still live there:

A Room

A Mosque in Meymand village

More Photos: http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Geography/meymand.htm

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 06:59
During the Migration of peoples the Saxons and the Franks ended up here, so that's 1500 years. The Frisians arrived here much earlier, about 600 BC IIRC
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 07:38

Are we talking about people living generally or the people speaking the current language? Because they are two different things.

Genetically people have lived in Finland from about 8000-6000 BCE, but the people speaking the proto form of Finnish have lived from about 1000 BCE.

Thank you and goodbye.

Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 09:47
Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

During the Migration of peoples the Saxons and the Franks ended up
here, so that's 1500 years. The Frisians arrived here much earlier,
about 600 BC IIRC

And I thought you lived in Panama
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 09:50

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

During the Migration of peoples the Saxons and the Franks ended up here, so that's 1500 years. The Frisians arrived here much earlier, about 600 BC IIRC

What about the celts?

Whatever you do, don't
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 11:59
At least since those neolithic guys showed up 9000+ years ago.

What about the celts?

The Batavians?

Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 12:28
Batavians were partly Celtic. It's not sure what happened with them. But most likely a part went south with the retreating Romans and the other part was assimilated into the Salian Franks.
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 12:38
I thought there was more celtic ancestry to the Netherlands... maybe it's just the tallness of both the Celts and the Dutch that feeds this idea
Whatever you do, don't
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 12:59
Well you're tight with money, like the Scots, so you never know
Arrrgh!!"
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 14:29

"Are we talking about people living generally or the people speaking the current language? Because they are two different things."

I meant the true ancestors of the modern nation who have developed only in their language and the ethnicity is the same to date. Not the first people at the location.

Anyway, good replies guys.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 15:04

In Sweden the situation is complicated - but in my case some of my ancestors have lived here fr 12 000 years either case...

Among the Smi (I have partly smi origin) and many political correct anti-nationalist swedes it's a matter of course that the smi have lived in present day Sweden for 12 000 years since the end of the last ice age, and that the germanic swedes' ancestors ("the white man") arrived much, much later as invaders. As you can see - they think that the situation is just like in America where the white man invaded and subjugated the natives.

For the swedes (which I am) it's right the opposite though - the swedes arrived as a germanic speaking tribe 12 000 years ago whereas the smi are mongoloid invaders from Asia that arrived a couple of hundred years ago. This theory was predominant during the early 20th century and produced by nationalist, racist schollars

To me both this ideas are ludicrous. The first people that arrived here in Scandinavia in wawes are probably the ancestors of both swedes and smi (and norwegians, danes and finns as well) - it was first much later that they separated (as the swedish and norwegian ancestors in the south took up farming whereas the smi continued to hunt). Also the swedish ancestors adopted germanic Indoeuropean languages at some time and mixed with people from the south, whereas the smi ancestor mixed with people from the east and adopted a finno-ugrian Uralic language. Still they remained caucasians though - the smi are not mongoloid as many still believe. And the swedes and norwegians are not oppressive "white men" as some smi like to think (who are imaging themselves as "non-white" for some reason)

The first written evidence of both the swedes and the smi is Tacitus Germania from 98 AD, which speaks of the suiones and fenni (smi), both inhabiting Scandinavia. I think therefore it's totally pointless to try figure out who was here first

Edited by Mangudai
Benceno View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Benceno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 18:25
A few centuries only. I live in Argentina, but my father, most of my grand parents and all of my great grandparents are Europeans (from Spain and Italy). Spanish started settling here in the XVI century... and well, I am sure you know the story already.

Before they came, there were two big tribes around the province, the Querandes in the core and most of it, Tehuelches in the south and in the North Tobas. They were nomads, not particularly developed so it is hard to tell for how long they had been living here, but it is said that most likely they arrived between 12000 - 9000 BC.
Hola.
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 18:39

Originally posted by Cywr

Well you're tight with money, like the Scots, so you never know

hehe

Hmm i really thought we weren't all that Germanic, and that the Celts crossed over to here once, after the Germanic tribes settled in, and mixed with the population (Celtgermanics instead of Celtiberians ), but I really don't know where to look this stuff up..

Whatever you do, don't
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 20:19
IIRC, Benelux and much of Germany was originaly predominatly Celtic, and Germanics moved in and eventualy assimilated most of them. The oldest Celtic finds of any sort are in Central Europe IIRC.
Arrrgh!!"
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 20:44
I thought in their final days they once again moved from England to here... but oh well nevermind.. as always it's just one big blur of peoples, especially in this spot, where a whole bunch rivers meet the pleasantly gulf-stream-warmed sea
Whatever you do, don't
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 21:25
Hmm, the Belgea lived on both sides of the channel, i'm not sure about them moving anywhere. If anything, it was Germanics moving from N. Netherlands to Southern England indeed, Old English or )Anglo-Saxon in the historic sense, not the modern popular usage) was very similar to old frisian apparently.
Brythonic celts did move over to Brittany round this time though.
Arrrgh!!"
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 01:56

We speak Persian in Iran for at least 4,000 years.

It is the Persian inscription of Ariaramnes (Peace of Aryans), one of ancestors of Darius the Great:

Ariyramna \ xyathiya \ vazraka \ xyathiya \ xyathiynm \ xyathiya \ Prs \ Cipai \ xyathiyahy \ pua \ Haxmaniahy \ nap \ thtiy \ Ariyramna \ xyathiya \ iyam \ dahyu \ Prs \ tya \ adam \ dray \ miy \ hya \ uvasp \ umartiy \ man \ baga \ vazraka \ Auramazd \ frbara \ vasn \ Auramazdha \ adam \ xyathiya \ iyam \ dahyu \ amiy \ thtiy \ Ariyramna \ xyathiya \ Auramazd \ man \ upastm \ baratuv

Ariaramnes, the great king, king of kings, king in Persia, son of king Teispes, grandson of Achaemenes. King Ariaramnes says: This country Persia which I hold, which is possessed of good horses, of good men, the great god Ahuramazda bestowed it upon me. By the favor of Ahuramazda, I am king in this country. King Ariaramnes says: May Ahuramazda bear me aid.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
Hardel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hardel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 05:40
Iranians are really old nation.Wonderful. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>