Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkic Peoples

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkic Peoples
    Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 11:47
Sarmat
It's obvious that Nazarbaev didn't mean that Kazakhs and Turks from Turkey are the parts of one nation.

Nursultan Nazarbayev said, "I'm a Turk"

He didn't write anything similar to your nonsense.

He meant what he said.

"I'm a Turk". Therefore he has a tie to any other Turk, what is so hard to understand.

Nazarbayev has said countless times before that Kazak and Turkiye Turks belong to the broader Turk nation.

This doesn't mean that they're identical either however, they both have the option to refer to themselves as Turk or belonging to the wider Turk community, they also have the option not to.

However, they don't have to listen to some Russian, telling them that they are not allowed to be this or that.

Sarmat
I, personally, don't like this comparasent. But even it clearly states that the people of Turkey and other Turkic speaking countries are not one nation.

There is a Turk nation, the Turkic world is not subject to just the borders of Turkey.

As I said, a Lebanease can be a Lebeanease, however also can be an Arab, or Lebanease Arab.
Its up to the person, it is not clear cut, a Lebanease has his/her own identity as Lebanease but also can belong to the wider Arab nation.

This is the same for Turks.
A Kazak can be just a Kazak with their own identity, also a Kazak can be a Kazak Turk and be part of the wider Turk nation.

You obviously have a problem with this notion...

Edited by Bulldog - 09-Aug-2007 at 11:55
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 17:51
Originally posted by Mortaza

I was just commenting your scientific fact.

I think kazaks and turks are like russians and serbs..

I totally agree with that. What I mean is that Russians and Serbs do not belong to "one nation" as well as Turks and Kazakhs do not belong to one nation. They are related, yet distinctive ethnicities.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 08-Aug-2007 at 17:53
Σαυρομάτης
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 17:48

I was just commenting your scientific fact.

I think kazaks and turks are like russians and serbs..
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 17:33
Originally posted by Mortaza

a member of any of the ancient peoples who spoke Turkic languages, such as the Ottomans.

Lol. So ancient kazaks were turks but moderns are not?

Both modern Kazakhs and ancients Kazakhs are Turks in a sense that they belong to Turkic ethnicities. This is called "turki" in Kazakh.

But they and Turks from Turkey are not the same. Turks from Turkey are called Turik in Kazakh.

While Kazakhs have 2 words Turik and Turki which have different meanings.

There is only one word in English - Turk for both notions.

Is it that hard to understand ?

Σαυρομάτης
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 17:09
 a member of any of the ancient peoples who spoke Turkic languages, such as the Ottomans.

Lol. So ancient kazaks were turks but moderns are not?
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 16:06
Bulldog, pesonally for you I put again the quotation from the article by Pope which you posted:

"when I asked [President of Kazakhstan] Nursultan Nazarbayev, sitting in his $18 million Boeing, "Who are you," the first thing he said was, "I am a Turk," which surprised me.

I said, "What do you mean by that?"

He said, "I don't mean anything to do with Turkey."

Nazarbaev, said clearly: I don't mean anything to do with Turkey.

It's obvious that Nazarbaev didn't mean that Kazakhs and Turks from Turkey are the parts of one nation.

He obviously says that Kazakhs and Turks from Turkey are different.

Also Pope, whom you consider the biggest authority on Turkic issues, writes in that article: That the idea of Turkic world is invented and the Relation of Turkey to other Turkic speaking countries is similar to the relation of Spain to Latin American countries.

I, personally, don't like this comparasent. But even it clearly states that the people of Turkey and other Turkic speaking countries are not one nation.

Spain and Latin Americans do have a lot of things in common but they are not the parts of "one broader nation."

I don't need to accept anything here.

It is accepted everywhere that there is a number of DIFFERENT ethnicities which speak languages belonging to Turkic languages group.

All these ethnicities although related are separate and different from each other.

Now, based on the common linguistic group u advocate the false ideas that all these people belong to "one broader nation". This is not scientific nor historical reality.  No serious scientist or historian advocates this idea.

Perhaps, you can establish a new historical school of your own in future but it's not the case so far.

Generally speaking all your argumentation is based on the dubious meaning of the word Turk in English.

Which means:

noun 1 a person from Turkey or of Turkish descent.

2 a member of any of the ancient peoples who spoke Turkic languages, such as the Ottomans.

Turkic is a broader term which is used for the description of a particular language group, but it's not used a in a meaning of "belonging to one nation".

This is a scientific fact. And in order to convince me that you are right you should rewrite the modern history, linguistics and anthropology. Which has nothing to do with my personal attitude.

P.S.

And again have a little respect to Kazakh people. You should have memorized long time ago that their president's name is NURSULTAN.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 08-Aug-2007 at 16:09
Σαυρομάτης
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 14:42
Sarmat
Yeah again. There is nothing in the idea of Turkic commonwealth that would suggest that Turkic speaking people are one nation. There is a British commonwealth.

They are members of a broader nation.

For example, a Lebanease is Lebanease but a Lebanease person can also be an Arab, a Lebanease Arab or just use Lebeanease.

It depends on the person.

In the same way somebody can say I'm a Kazak, I'm a Turk, I'm a Kazak Turk, depending on the person.

The Brittish commonwealth is completely different, a Ghanean is not English and doesn't have any connection.

Sarmat
Concerning the Popp's link you posed. Even he writes that Nazarbaev didn't mean "Turk"

Now once again plain and simply Sultan Nazarbayev says,                  "I'm a Turk".

You just can't accept it can you...

Sarmat
You probably don't understand what a valid reference means

Those words are the words of "Sultan Nazarbayev", they are his official words which have been published, try and get it into your head.

Under Nazarbayevs rule Kazakistan is becomming powerfull and influencial in the region, now they are starting to raise the prospect for a union of states and some form of integration together.

Edited by Bulldog - 08-Aug-2007 at 14:43
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 11:22
Coming out of the ashes of foreign domination, the Kazakhs' own Nazarbayev sought to join capitalistic markets. "Today, Kazakhstan has another asset besides oil, gas and minerals. Democracy." p. 139, Sons of the Conquerers; Hugh Pope.

Kazakhs would gain senior posts in his country, to the dismay of the ethnic Russians. Yet leading the country was a new expericience since the Soviets demise. Even Kazakh unity was a rarity in the historical past dispite sharing a common language. This votility can be seen in the 19'th century with her fractious politics of independent-minded tribal groups. p.130

It is not surprising to have leaders hold onto cherished power.

"We are all Turks," President Nazarbayev told me, argueing that Kazakhs were one of the purest Turkic peoples, and listing the conquerors who had set out from his part of Central Asia since the days of Atilla the Hun. "They started conquering the world, then they overstrtched themselves and they collapsed. Today's Turkish people are those who left the territory of modern Kazakhstan and settled in the country where they live now. When we meet each other, we always remember this."  

Nazarbayev was dead set against pan-Turkish political union. He saw the Turkic world as a loose, diverse group, like the Anglo-Saxon or Slavic countries. Master of all he surveyed,, he was not about to dilute his hard won sovereignty...p.132

Personal gains and national ethnic bias would guide the Nazarbayev administration. He asserted his Kazakh identity even to the point of loosely fanning union with other Turk states. Yet he would not jeopardize his rank. 

Edited by Seko - 08-Aug-2007 at 11:23
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 21:24
Originally posted by omergun

Kurds are one part of the ethnic groups who are in minority

Treaty of Lausanne disagrees with you.

omergun View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote omergun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 21:19
Originally posted by Feanor

Originally posted by Bulldog

You were saying...

Nation is a modern concept.

Saying he assimilated Muslims into Trks is ridiculous, because being Muslim is not a race but a religion.

I was referring to non - Turkish Muslim people, mainly Kurds.

Kurds are one part of the ethnic groups who are in minority
ATTİLA
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 21:12

You were saying...

Nation is a modern concept.

Saying he assimilated Muslims into Trks is ridiculous, because being Muslim is not a race but a religion.

I was referring to non - Turkish Muslim people, mainly Kurds.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 20:51
You probably don't understand what a valid reference means, my friend.

I need a link to an official site or publication.

Otherwise I would make a "reference" like this.

Nazarbaev: "The idea that Kazakhs have any relation to Turks is idiotic"

Does it look convincing for you without any references to the web pages or publications ?

It does not look for me. You better calm down before attacking me.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 07-Aug-2007 at 20:52
Σαυρομάτης
omergun View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote omergun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 20:44
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Well, not very convincing given that you wrote it by yourself without giving any reference and even included the "words of Nazarbaev" which actually are the words of Mr. Popp.

I think this is the last drop of crap, admins if you are warning me for respect, then i dont understand what this is. He asks Bulldog for one reference, he gives even more, and after this he says it isnt convincing, i cant believe this!!!
ATTİLA
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 20:41

What have you got against Hugh Pope? he knows far more about the Turkic world than yourself or anybody else here.

Read the book, it clearly writes it.

Here read what President Nursultan Nazarbayev says...

Kazakshtani President Nursultan Nazarbayev took observers, and even many participants, by surprise by proposing the creation of a Turkic parliamentary assembly. Nazarbayev went on to nominate former Turkish president and prime minister Suleyman Demirel to serve as the proposed assemblys first chairman.

Nazarbayevs proposal was indicative of his interest in exploring the feasibility of a full-blown Turkic commonwealth. "We have to discuss it," Kazakshtani Foreign Minister Foreign Minister Kasymzhomart Tokayev told EurasiaNet, referring to the commonwealth possibility.

It would appear that Nazarbayev, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and Kyrgyzstani leader Kurmanbek Bakiyev now see closer cooperation as a way to leverage the collective influence of "200 million Turks," as Nazarbayev put it, in pursit of specific policy aims.

Who are these Turks?

Oh and if you still are finding this hard to accept then here...

For instance, when I asked [President of Kazakhstan] Nursultan Nazarbayev, sitting in his $18 million Boeing, "Who are you," the first thing he said was, "I am a Turk," which surprised me.

It is very logical, Turks are from Central Asia originally.

Yeah again. There is nothing in the idea of Turkic commonwealth that would suggest that Turkic speaking people are one nation. There is a British commonwealth. So what? Nations which are present there are not the same, except that they use English language.

Concerning the Popp's link you posed. Even he writes that Nazarbaev didn't mean "Turk" as having anything to do with modern Turkey. You just deleted the main contents of the paragrpaph to fit the idea you like.

Here is what Pope writes about Nazarbaev and "Turks":

The idea of being Turkish is debated. For instance, when I asked [President of Kazakhstan] Nursultan Nazarbayev, sitting in his $18 million Boeing, "Who are you," the first thing he said was, "I am a Turk," which surprised me.

I said, "What do you mean by that?"

He said, "I don't mean anything to do with Turkey. Those people in Turkey are half-breeds. They are the descendants, mixed with the people who are already there. We conquered them. They intermarried, and they formed Turkey. We are the pure Turks."
Σαυρομάτης
omergun View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote omergun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 20:27
Originally posted by Feanor

Originally posted by omergun

Dont let me laugh dude. I want to ask you something, if Trkish nation is based on Ottoman identity, then on what is Ottoman Identity based on? More questions=> How and when did Ottoman Empire appear, who is Osman Bey and what is his Origin, who are Oguz Trks and were did they come from and whos descendents are they of, how was the situation of Trks in Ottoman Period in Anadolu(Anatolia), do you know the meaning beyliks and what they count for? Ottoman Beyligi was a state of the earlier Trk Selcuk Empire. In Anatolia the Beyliks were like states. A Beylik gets his name of the famillies/tribes who settled in that state, just like the name Trks were the main population in all these Beyliks.

You could trace the origin of Turks in pre - historic times as well. I'm sure Turkic people will be happy to be ruled by Great T-Rex Khan. Sorry, but I have no time for this nonsensical gibberish. The concept of nation is a few century old and 'Turkish nation' was formulated by people who were inspired by Western ideas. Mustafa Kemal, the creator of Turkish nation, attempted to assimilate Muslims into Turks and arguably just renamed the Ottoman identity.

Look, if you and others dont have much information about Trks, pls dont act like you know better, because you dont and because i dont do the same thing in other subjects

MUSTAFA KEMAL ATAT
RK didnt attempt to assimilate Muslims into Trks. He had the power, greatness, identity, character and charisma to gather all(not all because some stayed in other regions)  Trks from old lost Osmanlı Empire to get a victory whom is called The Trk War Of Independent. He arrised The Trk Identity whom was lost and forgotton by the last Osmanlı Sultan and Government. While the Sultan and Government were searching ways of leaving the country and accepting everything the enemies said for the sake of theirselves, and while the so called fake Muslims, likely the Arabs and others, sold old Osmanlı Empire to the British and their allies, by choosing their side but not the side of The Muslim Trks, 
MUSTAFA KEMAL ATAT
RK gathered all Trks of Trk Origin! around and made The Trkiye of today. His motive was building a Trk Republic, and seperating religion from politics, because people always used Islam to get in a high position, just like Erdogan is doing nowadays. Saying he assimilated Muslims into Trks is ridiculous, because being Muslim is not a race but a religion. ATATRK didnt change our Religion, Trks always stayed Muslim.

Edited by omergun - 07-Aug-2007 at 20:58
ATTİLA
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 20:18
Feanor
Turkish nation didn't exist back in those times. Period.

A sample of Gokturk Inscriptions, commissioned by Gokturk Khans. One of several in Mongolia, near river Orkhun, dated 732-735. Example statement (from Bilge Khan): "He (Sky God or "Gok Tanri") is the one who sat me on the throne so that the name of the Turkish Nation would live forever."

You were saying...

Edited by Bulldog - 07-Aug-2007 at 20:19
Albert Pine

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 20:15

Turks are from Central Asia.
Turks conquered the Near East and Anatolia.
Turks continuosly migrated to the Near East and Anatolia.
Turks ruled, mixed with the locals and through time Turkified these areas.

Turkish nation didn't exist back in those times. Period.

"İki Dvlet, Bir Millet"

Again, a totally romantic statement. You should explain why are Anatolian Turks and other Turkic people parts of one nation referring to sociology.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 20:13
What have you got against Hugh Pope? he knows far more about the Turkic world than yourself or anybody else here.

Read the book, it clearly writes it.

Here read what President Nursultan Nazarbayev says...

Kazakshtani President Nursultan Nazarbayev took observers, and even many participants, by surprise by proposing the creation of a Turkic parliamentary assembly. Nazarbayev went on to nominate former Turkish president and prime minister Suleyman Demirel to serve as the proposed assemblys first chairman.

Nazarbayevs proposal was indicative of his interest in exploring the feasibility of a full-blown Turkic commonwealth. "We have to discuss it," Kazakshtani Foreign Minister Foreign Minister Kasymzhomart Tokayev told EurasiaNet, referring to the commonwealth possibility.

It would appear that Nazarbayev, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and Kyrgyzstani leader Kurmanbek Bakiyev now see closer cooperation as a way to leverage the collective influence of "200 million Turks," as Nazarbayev put it, in pursit of specific policy aims.

Who are these Turks?

Oh and if you still are finding this hard to accept then here...

For instance, when I asked [President of Kazakhstan] Nursultan Nazarbayev, sitting in his $18 million Boeing, "Who are you," the first thing he said was, "I am a Turk," which surprised me.

It is very logical, Turks are from Central Asia originally.

Edited by Bulldog - 07-Aug-2007 at 20:16
Albert Pine

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 20:01

Well, not very convincing given that you wrote it by yourself without giving any reference and even included the "words of Nazarbaev" which actually are the words of Mr. Popp.

Σαυρομάτης
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 19:55
Sarmat
 Give at least one reference to the official government site of one Turkic speaking nation which says that they consider themselves "the same broader nation" with the other Turkic nations.

"İki Dvlet, Bir Millet"

Haydar Aliyev - regarding Azerbaycan and Turkey, "two countries, one nation". This has become a very famous phrase, it shows the level of closeness today between the two countries, the leaders of the state use such language.

Men şu gnki Trkmenistan bilen Trkie iki dwlet, bir millet diip yglan etdim. Sebbi Oguz dimek trkmen dimekdir, Oguz dili trkmen dilidir, seljuk dili trkmen dilidir, osman dili trkmen dilidir, trk dili biraz tgn trkmen dilidir, dinimiz birdir, adbimiz birdir, ganymyz birdir. Biz trkmenler oňa guwanarys. Trk doganlarymyza-da şony arzuw edris.
Turkmenbashi - (Ruhnama)

Turkey and Turkmenistan are two countries, one nation. The reason for this is because Oghuz at the same time means Turkmen. The Oghuz language is the Turkmens language, the language of the Seljuks is the language of the Turkmens, the language of the Ottomans is the language of the Turkmens, the Turkish language is the Turkmen language with some variations, our religion is one, our culture is one, our blood is one. This is our pledge to our Turkish brothers and its what we expect from them aswell.

"I'm a Turk"
"Iki dovlet bir millet"

Nursultan Nazarbayev

The Turkic states are moving closer together, if they use their common Turk bond and heritage as a factor of this then there is nothing you or I can do about it apart from respecting their views. Be this a common Turk nation or peoples or Turkic nation or peoples, there is a bond and if it is in the interests of Turkic states they will build upon this as is happening today.

Edited by Bulldog - 07-Aug-2007 at 20:01
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>