Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movies and The Future of War

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movies and The Future of War
    Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 04:49
 Hello All,
( Here's a different kind of thread)
Many of scientist are trying answer the question that many Military personal are asking.
 What the wars of the future will be like? And what kind of weapons will be used?
Many of us get an entertaining but fictional view at this, through many films and books.
In your own opinion; which movie or book , paints the best picture for you? In terms of : troops, weapons , equipment and the type of warfare?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 05:41
Waterworld, no doubt. Costner's truly classic epic says it all and more..LOL

I dont know to be honest, thee's not that many films that speak much in terms of futuristic realism in warfare..

1984 was pretty accurate in terms of how the world is today, but for the future, I cant think of any that stands out. 'Hegemony or survival' by Choamsky?

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 05:51
Jennifer Government LOL
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 06:23
Bloc Wars
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 22:34

I think that most warfare will be very much the same as war is being fought today; of course the weapons that will be used will be more advanced.

I think urban style warfare will be the most dominate kind of style of conflict, and  I think the day of the set battle is over.

What do think L n G's?
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 22:35
The weapons that are already by far the most favored are stun weapons and they get more sophisticated all the time.  Okay crew, set your phasors on stun and proceed toward these aliens!
elenos
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 21:41

George Orwell predicted that there will be no true wars in the future. The three superpowers will send small elite forces to wage pointless war to maintain the equalibrium. Wars will no longer be about dominance over other countries. War against their own people for totalitarism begins. Not better weapons, but faster means of communication, security devices and stealth technologies/fighting arts.

Join us.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 00:28
Good point pekau! To fight and die without even knowing the reason why may be the way of the future. 
elenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 23:15
I think with mercenary armies becoming larger and more efficient. Many people think they will become the way of the future.
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 03:36
STAR WARS will be true, or REDDICK would be really interesting.
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 06:08
Originally posted by pekau

George Orwell predicted that there will be no true wars in the future. The three superpowers will send small elite forces to wage pointless war to maintain the equalibrium. Wars will no longer be about dominance over other countries. War against their own people for totalitarism begins. Not better weapons, but faster means of communication, security devices and stealth technologies/fighting arts.

Yep that sounds correct.

YohjiArmstrong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote YohjiArmstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 20:28
Originally posted by Paul

Bloc Wars

Big%20smile

Man, the future would be so much easier if John Wagner wrote it.

"Brave New War" spells it out for me.
Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 21:46

George Orwell all the way. For now, non-lethal technology is going to take a jump in popularity except here in Canada where they want to ban tasers . . .

Anyone want to give me a quick summary into what Bloc Wars, Brave New War and Hegemony or Survival are all about? LOL
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 20:38
I would think that war would shift toward heavily armored vehicles and troops like ancient armies and then there would be a gradual shift back in favor of lightly armored troops and certain types of vehicle would slowly disband and lose their effectiveness and eventually die off. Perhaps companies will rent out armies to country's for a certain period of time. Who says that war has to be fought with humans in the future perhaps they will use remote controlled robots and planes.  

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 11:42

I'd trust sir Arthur Charles Clarke's views on the future and develop them further - with the means of communications and transports that we will have available, the military of the future (on ground) will be not for men, but for some class of automated units; or there will be no war due to the loss of the differences between regions and therefore the units of government set borders will become obsolete. Of course, people may become so advanced they don't see war as a necessity to solve conflicts... 

I trust most of the war will start to take place in space, after the funds and drives have been discovered. This would mean that something akin the BSG/SW (not Star Trek though) will be a part of the futuristic military. 

bagelofdoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 04:08
Starship troopers (the book, not the movie) paints an interesting picture of an infantryman with significant firepower, independence, training and technology operating in a small unit.  The great thing is that it was written during the Korean war, before the US even adopted automatic assault rifles for its troops, and it lays out a soldier who is very similar to the projected end result of the Future Force Warrior project at DARPA. 

As for space combat, the lost fleet series of books has what I would deem a pretty good description of relativistic space combat. 
ds_baker View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ds_baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2012 at 12:21
This is my opinion-
Drones will become the first line of offense/defensive operations. Coupled with groups that are highly trained and heavily armed, for very short strike missions. This is happening now, but in the near future it will become doctrine. Most of these units will belong to National Interests. 

Most other non-combat missions will be either straight up mercenary or "contractor" supplied. Politicians since time immemorial have never had a problem sending sell swords out to die... But standing in front of mother's and father's telling them their children died for an Oil field or Agricultural product is hard, and makes it even harder to get re-elected. 

Intel will be routed first through contractors aka mercenaries. -Their methods of HUMIT don't have to meet any sort of moral or ethical and or even legal codes. They just have to be verifiable.

For large operations or conflicts of interest I see the rise of mercenary regiments, taking the on the role of the sharp tip of the spear. With notational units of some polity taking up responsibility in rear areas and zones of occupation.

I would suggest:
Hammer's Slammers series of books by David Drake
Falkenberg's Legion of books by SM Stirling and Jerry Pournelle

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
-Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply