Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What happened after the Norman invasion of England

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guess View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Guess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happened after the Norman invasion of England
    Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 08:42
1. What happened to the Saxon lords? Were they all killed?

2. Are people in England today who consider themselves Norman?

3. Did the Normans still consider themselves Vikings at the time of the invasion? Did they retain any viking culture?

4. How important is ethnic identity in England today? Is there much of a difference between English, Welsh, Scottish, and Irish? Or do they all consider themselves Brittish?

5. Are there other native Ethnic Groups in Britain? I know about Muslum immigrants, but I am talking about native ethnic groups.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 13:40
1. Some were killed, some fled to Byzantium where they replaced the Scandinavians as the dominant element in the Varanguian Guard, ans some were disowned and tried to make the best of it , or return to power by marrying their female relatives to the new Norman lords in power.

3. No, not really. The number of Scandinavians settling in Normandy with duke Rollo was relativey small, and therefore never became culturally dominant. They were more French than Scandinavian, they spoke French (as language is passed on through mothers, not fathers, and they married local women. In fact, it is known that the third duke, Rollo's grandson, was unable to speak Norse, and a teacher was fetched for him from Scandinavia, as it was deemed necessary he could.) And they fought the French way (on horseback). They did not consider themselves completely French either though: they saw themselves as a class apart, (which they probably were), and they were aware of the fact that their past was different from that of the French peoples around them. Their battle ethics, for example, were Germanic rather than Romanesque.

4. English, Scots, Welsh and Irish consider themselves English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish when at home, and British when abroad, as far as I know.

5. There is no significant ethnic difference between English, Scots, Welsh and Irish. It is a predominantly cultural difference.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 29-Jul-2007 at 13:42

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 16:05

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

4. English, Scots, Welsh and Irish consider themselves English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish when at home, and British when abroad, as far as I know.

The Irish are aplit on that. The Nationalists would agree with you, the Republicans disagree.

5. There is no significant ethnic difference between English, Scots, Welsh and Irish. It is a predominantly cultural difference.
Hmm....

I guess it depends what you mean by 'significant' and 'ethnic'. Certainly the two sides in the northern Ireland conflicts consider themselves ethnically distinct, at least to the extent Serbs and Croats do.

I certainly feel my own West Saxon descent ethnically distinct from, say,  Northumbrians and Yorkshiremen, let alone Scots and Irish (I'm also half-Welsh, and THAT is by no means the same as Scots or Irish.)[1]

This remains true no matter how much more in common the various groups have than used to be thought.

[1] By the way, that's NORTH Wales. Cool

Edited by gcle2003 - 29-Jul-2007 at 16:09
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 08:17
Originally posted by Guess

3. Did the Normans still consider themselves Vikings at the time of the invasion? Did they retain any viking culture?

I think the Normans had a knack of absorbing aspects of many of the cultures that the came into contact with.  It was claimed that once the Vkings settled in Normandy, that they "forgot" their maritime skills, which was what distinguished them from other cultures.

Edited by Melisende - 30-Jul-2007 at 08:18
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 10:14
1.  as Aelfgifu

2. It was the Normans who began to consider themselves as English, abanoning the French language.

3. as Aelfgifu

4. English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh aren't really considered ethnic identities, more national identities.

5. I think a lot of areas in the UK like to consider themselves to have an ethnic identity, however the claims are very dubious. For example if you go to the north west of England, anywhere from York to Newcastle the locals will tell you they are Vikings.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 10:58
Personally I'd consider ethnic identy in Britain a subclass of national. Thus there is undoubtedly an ethnic difference (though of course it is continually blurring with increasing mobility) between Geordies and Scouses. Note that this is because they represent a different mix of ethnicities, rather than two different pure ethnicities, there being a lot more Irish and Welsh contribution to the population of Liverpool than to the population of Newcastle.

And if you weren't born at least near the New Forest you're a grockle anyway.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 12:04
Originally posted by gcle2003

or a pony.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 13:25
In response to question 3 I don't think that the Normans would have considered Viking a viable cultural entity. I contend that they would have considered themselves Norse or members of the kingdom they were coming from: ie Danish, Norwiegen, Swedish, etc. I would have to agree with Aelfgifu to a certain extent, however I would argue that Norse culture permeated Norman culture more than she would have you believe. In Eleanor Searle's book Predatory Kinship it is agrued, rather well, that many inheritance practices in Normandy can be traced to Scandinavian inheritance practices. What this shows is that the Normans under Rollo set up a Scandinavian Duchy that spoke French in Normandy. This is not the only example of Scandinavian practices permeating Norman society. Klaus van Eickels argues that certain punishment practices in Normandy can be traced back to Scandinavian taboos. One example that he discusses at length in his article "Gendered Violence: Castration and Blinding as Punishment for Treason in Normandy and Anglo-Norman England" (I will provide a full cite at the end of this response for this article) is the Scandinavian taboo concerning killing members of your own family hence an offender would be blinded, castrated, or both. This form of punishment was generally accepted through out Normandy and England. These two examples clearly show that even though the number of Scandinavian settlers in Normandy were relatively small at first their culture was dominant.

Klaus van Eickels, "Gendered Violence: Castration and Blinding as Punishment for Treason in Normandy and Anglo-Norman England" Gender and History 3 (Nov., 2004) 588-602. I believe it can be found on the web or in your University Library database, it's not on JSTOR. OCLC has it as does Ingentia and Synergy (but I think you have to pay for the last two).

Edited by King John - 30-Jul-2007 at 13:29
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 04:59
Actually I agree with you fully, King John. Perhaps my reply was not very clearly formulated, but I did not mean to imply they were just French with a Norse fringe... Wink

(now that I re-read it, I see I did say just that... oops. I was not properly paying attention there, sorry)

The point I was aiming for was that the Norman culture was a mixed one, combining both French and Norse elements. The 'top layer' as you might call it was French (language, fashion, habits), but deeper down Norse elements remained. (The battle ethics I was talking about is an interesting one. In French culture, killing was bad, period. Killing in war was a necessety, but a knight was supposed to do penalty for all deaths he caused, even in war. The Normans, at least the earliest generations, had no such qualms. Enemies were there to be killed, the more the better. One duke even got highly praised for his courage by some writers for mercilessly killing off his own followers to the last one after they rebelled. Not a smidge of regret discernable... Wink)

But I was trying to stress that the Norman society was by no means purely Norse. They did also start to lose a lot of Norse elements soon after their settlement (such as apparently losing their language by the third generation). So in answer to the queston whether they remained Viking after the settlement, my answer would be 'No, but...'

I do protest against the Norse taboo on killing family though. I do not know where the author got it from, but that is really something I have never heard of before and do not believe. It was quite common for brothers or cousins to fight and/or kill each other in bids for power in medieval Scandinavia (Eirik Bloodaxe killed his own brothers to get power over Norway, and although he was disliked, he was by no means shunned), although banishment was in general a preferred solution. (Banishment or fleeing of political opponents in Scandinavian powerstruggles are one of the main theories of why they went Viking across Europe)

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guess View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Guess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 08:49
When did the English aristrocray stop speaking French?

When did the English aristocracy stop seeing itself as Norman/French and start seeing it self as English?

Was English culture changed significantly by the Norman invasion? Is English culture today based on Norman culture? Or is it Anglo-Saxon culture?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 15:55
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by gcle2003

or a pony.

New Forest ponies aren't grockles. Dartmoor ponies, yes. Welsh ponies, yes. And thoroughbreds.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 16:38

When did the English aristrocray stop speaking French?

When did the English aristocracy stop seeing itself as Norman/French and start seeing it self as English?

Was English culture changed significantly by the Norman invasion? Is English culture today based on Norman culture? Or is it Anglo-Saxon culture?

An interesting question, one Francis Pryor asked in his book Britain BC and came to the conclusion, we owe more of who we are to our prehistoric ancestors than perhaps later additions.

Edited by Paul - 31-Jul-2007 at 16:39

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 23:21
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I do protest against the Norse taboo on killing family though. I do not know where the author got it from, but that is really something I have never heard of before and do not believe. It was quite common for brothers or cousins to fight and/or kill each other in bids for power in medieval Scandinavia (Eirik Bloodaxe killed his own brothers to get power over Norway, and although he was disliked, he was by no means shunned), although banishment was in general a preferred solution. (Banishment or fleeing of political opponents in Scandinavian powerstruggles are one of the main theories of why they went Viking across Europe)

The article to which I was referring deals mainly with Blinding and Castration in lieu of capital punishment. When comparing the punishments of rebels in the England of Alfred the Great to the Scandinavian world he states:

"On the contrary, Scandinavian kings usually refrained from putting their opponents to death, preferring the penalty of exile or resorting to corporal punishment when thier authority was challenged. Cultural anthropology provides a plausible explanation: the widespread taboo against killing relatives. ...Not only did a Scandinavian nobleman know all of his fellow aristocrats but he could also safely assume that they all were in one way or another his kin.

"...Blinding and castration (and sometimes further mutilations) combined, served as a means of eliminating rivals who could not be killed because they were family. In 1134, King Harold of Norway blinded and unmanned his nephew Magnus, who ruled jointly with him. In 1146, Valdemar I of Denmark mistreated his cousin, Duke Magnus, in a similar way. In Sturlungasaga, the same fate befalls the Icelandic noble roekja, when he falls into the hands of his cousin Sturla."25 Here he provides his sources I shall include his footnote with proper number.

25. Susan Tuchel, Kastration im Mittelalter (Dsseldorf: Droste, 1998), p. 101 n.31 and page 102; Sverre Bagge, Society and Politics in Snurri Sturluson's Heimskringla (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991), 112 ff; Preben Meulengracht Srensen, The Unmanly Man: Concepts of Sexual Defamation in Early Northern Society (Odense: Odense University Press, 1983), pp 68 and 81-84.

Certainly we can see here that the killing of family happened inspite of the taboo however there is clear documentation that a taboo or inclination against such events was present in Scandinavian society. At any rate this is only a minor point in his article the major point is that Castration and Blinding were used as a merciful alternative to capital punishment. If you get a chance to read the article I would do it. It is incredibly interesting. I think in my last post I included where the article could be found.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 04:10
I just happen to have Sverre Bagges book lying next to me, as I am working on an essay I need it for. It is an interesting passage, and he does indeed give examples for this maiming rather than killing, (and he does concede Eirik Bloodaxe is an exception Smile) but I am still not fully convinced that there was a bigger taboo on killing relatives in Scandinavia than there was elsewhere. Killing relatives is not something looked kindly on in any culture, and everywhere, it did happen.

There are also cases where blinding and castratio is clearly meant as an act of defamation and humiliation, as the victimes were killed or left to die after having undergone it. Such as the case with prince Alfred Ethelred's son (the brother of Edward the Confessor).

Choranzanus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Choranzanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 06:39
Castration and blinding was not limited to northern countries, such was the fate for example of Czech duke Jaromir around 1000 AD (a work of his brothers Oldrich and Boleslaus).
I have also heard about similar punishments being done before by Moravians.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 08:10
He's talking about blinding and castration as a punishment. That is not the case in Alfred's case. That was an assassination.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 08:35
Bagge is not at all discussing blinding and castration as punishment though. He is discussing it as a way to get rid of political opposers. In Germanic culture, primogeniture did not exist: any male member of the royal familiy had a claim to the throne. This automatically makes all male family a threat to a ruler. Bagge shows examples of kings using blinding, castrating and maiming (cutting off feet) as a way to stop ones opponents without killing family. But he names about 6 incidents of this happening. Over a couple of hundred of years of history, I do not find it a very convincing argument. Equal amounts of examples can be found of family members who either could get along or did kill each other.

As a punishment for crime it is neither isolated to the Germanic/Scandinavian world, or to family members, so I still doubt. Sorry... Big%20smile

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 19:07
I think I was being ambiguous when I used the pronoun, he, in my previous post. I was representing van Eickels as he not Bagge, since I have not read his work just yet, unfortunately. I don't disagree with you on the lack of primogeniture. In many pre-Christian European cultures there was the idea that a king could not have any flaws in his appearence. This is especially true of the Celtic peoples and to a certain extent Germanic peoples. This article, van Eickels' article that is, mainly argues that castration, specifically, was a way to eliminate hiers with out killing them in Normandy and Anglo-Norman England. The taboo was a minor point that he made since the article was about gendered violence, that is the idea that the punishment of castration did more than just hinder procreation but rather it kept opponents from gaining a following and/or power. The taboo argument I, too, feel needs more support. I threw it out there more to show the Scandinavian influence of Norman and subsequently English Law.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 19:37
Originally posted by King John

In many pre-Christian European cultures there was the idea that a king could not have any flaws in his appearence. This is especially true of the Celtic peoples and to a certain extent Germanic peoples. This article, van Eickels' article that is, mainly argues that castration, specifically, was a way to eliminate hiers with out killing them in Normandy and Anglo-Norman England. The taboo was a minor point that he made since the article was about gendered violence, that is the idea that the punishment of castration did more than just hinder procreation but rather it kept opponents from gaining a following and/or power. The taboo argument I, too, feel needs more support. I threw it out there more to show the Scandinavian influence of Norman and subsequently English Law.

Mutilation was a method employed by Byzantine heirs and usurpers in their efforts to take the throne.  As you described for the pre-Christian cultures, the Christian Byzantines believed the Emperor, as the chosen ruler of God and the vicar of Christ, should be without blemish in appearance. 

Usurpers would traditionally depose the reigning emperor and slit his nostrils and tongue so that his appearance disqualified him from rule and so that they would not have to answer for outright murder after the fact.  Justinian II Rhinometos ("Slit-Nosed") suffered this but turned the tables on the usurpers when he came back with a gold nose covering and vengeance!  He regained the throne and ruled for a few more years.

As far as keeping heirs or deposed rulers from procreating, castration was not used in Byzantium to accomplish this.  Rather, the deposed were forced to relenquish everything and enter a monastery/nunnery.  This does not keep them from coming back, however, as several deposed emperors left the monastery and reclaimed the throne!

Sorry to digress, but I thought it would be good to add a comparative approach to the discussion. Big%20smile

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 11:10

There is no date which one can point to to say that certainly here there is a clear shift in the identity of Norman (English) aristocracy. I would argue that by 1214 the English/Norman aristocracy has to make a choice. Do I side with the French king or the English king? The answer to this question has more to do with what is best for the nobleman asking it. Some times because of the way that family lands were divided you will find that one brother is English and one staunchly in the camp of the French king. So I would place the answer to that question as starting in the time of King John and definately done by the beginning of the Hundered Years War.

Modern English culture is not based entirely on one set of cultural values. Much like the language it hold both continental (French) tendancies as well as Anglo=Saxon ones. Recently I went to the movies to see the Bourne Ultimatum, while there I like many others was forced to sit through 10-20 minutes of previews. One preview was for a new version of Beowulf, an Anglo-Saxon epic. Clearly modern English culture is still permeated by Anglo-Saxon culture. With all this said I would argue that modern English culture would be more Norman than Anglo-Saxon, however it would not be entirely one nor the other.
 Post Reply Post Reply