Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Legacy of Spain in the Americas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Legacy of Spain in the Americas
    Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 15:16
Originally posted by pinguin

And I tell you, almost 90% of the people you see in Mexican TV has indigenous blood. Everyone, from Cantinflas, Chespirito, to Linda Cristal and Javier Solis, has indigenous blood in theirs veins. Everyone of them.

You might be right in that all of them have indigenous blood, but it's a matter of extent. In Latin America, those with a higher percentage of Spanish blood are usually considered as socially superior to those with Indian features, and I have to admit that the telenovelas are dominated by actors with more Spanish faces.

I have a Peruvian friend in Madrid who looks very Indian. He says that in his country he had problems being admitted into nightclubs because of his features, while in Spain he never encountered problems as such.
There's also a very beautiful Ecuadorean girl I know with pronounced Indian features who admits that in Spain she has a lot more success with men than in her country because in Ecuador there's a common mentality stating that "White is beautiful", while in Spain's she's considered "exotic".

Most Latin Americans have both Spanish and indigenous blood, but in general it's preferable to exagerate the former and play down the latter.
Argentines have long been proud of being a "pure European" people, until recent DNA studies demonstrated that the majority of them DO have Indian ancestry although of lower percentage than other parts of Latin American.
Many years ago I had a Chilean girlfriend who looks typically "Mestiza", yet she claims to be of "pure Spanish blood". 

The Spanish claim to be a people who do not have the concept of "race" as the English and French peoples, but this is pure hypocrisy just by looking at the social situation in most of her ex-colonies.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 16:04
So what's the point? That Anglo-America, Europe or Indian treats better to "people of color"? At least in here we never had the bad manner of hunging black people on the trees or giving cloths to the indians contaminated with contagious desseases.

Don't be hypocrites.

Latin America is not the Iberian features but the Germanic which are considered better looking. In fact, Spaniards are too moorish for Latin American taste LOL That's a fact.

In Chile people knows our country is Castizo, however many still believe they are the exception. Not all anyways. Too bad a Chilean accepted to be your girlfriend.

The important point is not how many whites appear on TV. Do you want to include politically correct quotas U.S. style, so one on every two people that appear on TV is Black? That won't work in Mexico because in there there are few Black people, and you can see Indians on TV continuosly.

The point still is in there. The hate of the European world against us has the counter ballance of our deep rejection of your hipocrital societies. That is something that has been going on for centuries and that It seems will never change.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 22-Jul-2007 at 16:14
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 18:32

So what's the point? That Anglo-America, Europe or Indian treats better to "people of color"? At least in here we never had the bad manner of hunging black people on the trees or giving cloths to the indians contaminated with contagious desseases.

I'm not saying that any system is better than others, but only that Latin american society isn't as colourblind as it claims to be.
I am British but I've spent a long time living in Spain and in many ways I'm hispanized; and I've known many Latin americans (Mexicans, argentinians, Peruvians, Chileans, Ecuadoreans, venezuelans...).

The conlcusion I gather is that in Latin America, social class has a lot to do with colour of skin; while in England, it does not. There are upper, middle, and lower class people of all races. as a fact, Asian people in the UK are mostly middle-class. However, racism does exist unfortunately.

Spain is a country where immigration only happened recently, and there is a problem with xenophobia, but what I have noticed is that Spaniards tend to be less "colour-sensitive" than either the British or the Latin americans.
For example, among all the immigrants in Spain today, Rumanians and Morrocans, who tend to look "Spanish", are not necessarily considered any better than Peruvians or Ecuadoreans, who look Indian. "Spanish xenophobia" has more to do with nationality and place of birth than to do with colour.
Before the wave of foreign immigration, a certain degree of xenophobia even existed among Spaniards of distinct geographical origins, especially in the rural villages where any "outsider" was considered a threat to local integrity.

And it's true that many Latin Americans I've met here have commented that although xenophobia does exist in Europe, the type of "colour-snobbism" in Latin America is much less pronounced here.
I have heard Argentinians and "White Mexicans" make statements such as "I am superior because I don't have any Indian blood".
Such statements are totally unacceptable both in Spain and in the UK, and most of us find it shockingly racist to hear people say it.

Xenophobia of nationality or racism of colour.....
Which way is better? I cannot say, but no empire who has conquered and submitted other nations can call themselves innocent. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 19:03
Originally posted by calvo

I'm not saying that any system is better than others, but only that Latin american society isn't as colourblind as it claims to be.
I am British but I've spent a long time living in Spain and in many ways I'm hispanized; and I've known many Latin americans (Mexicans, argentinians, Peruvians, Chileans, Ecuadoreans, venezuelans...).

The conlcusion I gather is that in Latin America, social class has a lot to do with colour of skin; while in England, it does not. There are upper, middle, and lower class people of all races. as a fact, Asian people in the UK are mostly middle-class. However, racism does exist unfortunately.

Spain is a country where immigration only happened recently, and there is a problem with xenophobia, but what I have noticed is that Spaniards tend to be less "colour-sensitive" than either the British or the Latin americans.
For example, among all the immigrants in Spain today, Rumanians and Morrocans, who tend to look "Spanish", are not necessarily considered any better than Peruvians or Ecuadoreans, who look Indian. "Spanish xenophobia" has more to do with nationality and place of birth than to do with colour.
Before the wave of foreign immigration, a certain degree of xenophobia even existed among Spaniards of distinct geographical origins, especially in the rural villages where any "outsider" was considered a threat to local integrity.

And it's true that many Latin Americans I've met here have commented that although xenophobia does exist in Europe, the type of "colour-snobbism" in Latin America is much less pronounced here.
I have heard Argentinians and "White Mexicans" make statements such as "I am superior because I don't have any Indian blood".
Such statements are totally unacceptable both in Spain and in the UK, and most of us find it shockingly racist to hear people say it.

Xenophobia of nationality or racism of colour.....
Which way is better? I cannot say, but no empire who has conquered and submitted other nations can call themselves innocent. 

Well, of course racism exist in Latin America as well. Send a Black Dominican immigrant to Argentina or Chile and I bet he will be treated even worst than in England or the U.S. Physical attacks have happened to the few that have adventured the idea.

Now, the idea there is a hierarchy of colors in Latin America is relative. Mestizos and Castizos have always have quite a lot of movility, and almost all the upper classes were made of them. Our universities are full of Amerindian young people with Amerindian faces and last names studying engineering... something I didn't see in Canada. A pretty good looking Mulatta in Brazil could marry upper class if had the chance.

Now, there is a factor that Europeans usually don't take into account before starting theirs theories on colorism. Since the middle of the 19th century up to the middle of the 20th century, tens of millions of Europeans migrated to Latin America, and most of them where light people, with many Germans, Austrians, Northern Italian, Basques and even Brits. Most of them where Middle Class immigrants that helped to industrialize the region. Well, they arrived, got rich and stayed in the upper classes of the region. That's the reason why you notice so many blond and white people in the upper classes.

Now, even in the wealthiest families of the region, Castizos and amerindian features show. That's does not call the attention to anyone on here, because we know it.

On the other side, Haiti closed the door to all Europeans because they were white and, well, you know that Haiti is the poorest country of the Hemisphere, at the same level of SS Africa.

Now, if you are going to make a TV series about the conflict between the rich and the poors in Latin America, of course you are going to show White rich people LOL. It is just obvious.

Racism doesn't exist in Latin America in the U.S. style fashion. However, people that don't look like the accepted phenotypes of locals could suffer strong racism indeed.

Pinguin

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 20:59

Something incredible if you compare that with thedeep racism of the British settlers in North America and Australia.

Okay, hold on a minute here!

If we're talking about the 16th/17th century, this simply didn't exist yet. The English and French actually admired the natives.

The central fact of the Eastern Woodlands where they were settling was an ongoing conflict between two groups, the Iroqouis and the Huron. The Iroqouis had become incredibly powerful and waged war against the neighbouring tribes, offering them the option of disarming and accepting Iroqouis terms (encapsulated in wampum agreements) and joining the so-called "Great League of Peace", or facing genocide. This was the Iroqouis way of war. The Huron were a confederation of tribes that formed in response to Iroqouis expansion of the League (the League being like an empire, the external territory, the Confederation being to the League what England was to the British Empire).

The English and French, themselves traditional enemies, arrived and forged alliances with different sides, the English with the Iroqouis, the French with the Huron. The English helped the Iroqouis with their wars and the French helped the Huron with theirs. English and Iroqouis massacred French settlements and Huron settlements in combined operations; likewise French and Huron forces massacred English and Iroqouis settlements. Generally speaking, though, most acts of genocide were conducted by the natives themselves, because it was the way war was waged in the Eastern Woodlands. The Iroqouis also launched genocidal attacks on their own initiative without English support; sometimes the English even protested.

Things gradually changed. The colonial militias and the military leaders of the English colonies participated in numerous actions alongside Iroqouis forces. People like Washington fought alongside the Iroqouis. When the Revolution came, they adopted the genocidal method of Iroqouis warring against natives - it was the context of war in that part of the world, and had been so since before European arrival. The unfortunate truth is that genocidal warfare had been confined to the St. Lawrence Valley and environs, but between 17th century Iroqouis expansion into southern Ontarrio and the Great Lakes fuelled by English guns, and 18th century American expansion beyond the Appalachians in the wake of the Revolution, this style of war was exported westward as far as the Great Plains.

Realistically speaking, the English only performed genocidal acts against the natives in the context of their partnership with the Iroqouis, and similarly, they used the Iroqouis to wipe out French and American settlements. Americans inheirited a genocidal method of warfare from the context of the style of warfare practiced in the Eastern Woodlands by all the parties to the conflicts - Iroqouis, English, French, and Huron.

Truly racist attitudes towards natives didn't exist in the same timeframe as New Spain (16th to early 19th centuries). They may not have intermarried but they did not believe the Iroquois to be necessarily inferior by birth or breeding, just less civilized and culturally inferior. At times they actually admired this, though (understand that there was a theme in English culture around this time that depicted a golden era, a Saxon paradise of wild and natural freedom they erroneously imagined had existed before the "Norman Yoke" was imposed). Racism towards natives as some sort of inferior species didn't truly begin until westward expansion under the newly created adminstrations of the United States and Canada, and not until the mid-1800s. Frankly that notion, in the way we perceive it today, developed directly from a poor understanding of Darwinian evolution, so not really until the 1860s, though there was something of a build-up to those ideas earlier than that.

Edited by edgewaters - 22-Jul-2007 at 21:08
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 21:07
British are guilty of the genocide on the Caribs in the Caribbean and the spread of the Black Garifunas, though.

The fact is that while the Spaniards always lived with a complex of guilt of the crimes they commited, British seem to be quite happy that those childlike creatures of the land to become extinct like the doodo bird. The attitude was plainly different. You can see the racist comments of Darwin in his second book, as an example of that mentality.

In the British colonies and in Australia, nobody married indigenous people, or at least that doesn't show in the history books quite often.  Pocahontas is more an exception than the rule.

In the Spanish Empire, the girl of Francisco Pizarro and a Inca princess migrated to Spain with a nobility title!

It is simply impossible to compare the attitude of those peoples; one accepting Natives and the other sending them to the first guettos. That is all the point.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 22-Jul-2007 at 21:10
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 21:14

British are guilty of the genocide on the Caribs in the Caribbeanand the spread of the Black Garifunas, though.

Ah, it wasn't just the British though. The French and Spanish settlers certainly played their part too. And the Caribs and Tainos themselves practiced genocidal war against each other, torching whole villages to the ground and practicing cannibalism on prisoners, both before and after the European arrival. They even wiped out a few earlier groups long before Columbus ever set foot in the Carribean; like the Igneri and Ortoiroid groups.

The fact is that while the Spaniards always lived with a complex of guilt of the crimes they commited, British seem to be quite happythat those childlike creatures of the landto become extinct like the doodo bird.

Well no, they weren't happy about it. They built up a whole idealistic picture of the native as "noble savage" who lived in some Eden before they arrived. There is a great deal of lamentation for the fate of the native in English literature.

You can see the racist comments of Darwin in his second book, as an example of that mentality.

By that time, things changed quite alot. As I mentioned previously, Darwin's theories and the poor understanding of evolution that they had back then formed the foundation for modern racism - but it just didn't really exist as we understand it today before Darwin.

In the British colonies and in Australia, nobody married indigenous people, or at least that doesn't show in the history books quite often. Pocahontas is more an exception than the rule. In the Spanish Empire, the girl of Francisco Pizarro and a Inca princess migrated to Spain with a nobility title!

I wouldn't quite say that. There was intermarriage - it can be plainly seen in the geneaology of many of the early settlers and even well-known natives like Joseph Brant, nor was it always a case of European man and native woman (sometimes it was the opposite).

Now it definately wasn't publicized. The reason for this is different time period, different society, different notions about society. When the Spanish colonized Mexico, they thought in terms of hereditary titles and used marriage as a means to cement allegiances and legitimize them - it was the early 1500s. When the English settled in numbers, it was much later in time, and they were no longer thinking strictly in feudalistic terms about thing like marriage and absolutism and feudal titles. Pocahantas is an exception because Jamestown was particularly early, when they were still thinking in these manners.

It also has to do with the nature of the natives in those areas, who did not have singular leaders but were organized in confederations (Huron, Neutrals, Cherokee, Iroqouis, etc) and governed themselves through councils of chiefs. The Aztec had a single leader and a class of nobles, a system that interfaced neatly with feudalistic ideals of the 1500s. There was nothing in the confederacies of eastern North America that corresponded to vassals, fiefs, hereditary title, primogeniture, absolute monarchy or divine right, etc etc. Nor, by this time, were the English entirely thinking in those terms anymore.

Edited by edgewaters - 22-Jul-2007 at 21:36
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 21:21
With respect to the Iroquois alliance with the British, that's anything new. The Spaniards also allied with local natives to destroy other tribes. Natives armies were always superior in numbers than the Europeans! That's explain that only 500 men could take the Aztec Empire in the first place, because they were many more Native helping the Spaniards that Spanish themselves.

That's not the point. War never destroyed a people. Mapuches fought during 400 years against the Europeans and theirs descendents and theirs numbers increased! However, when you kill the game, poisson the rivers, willingly spread deseases, kill women and children in mass, put people in places where they die by hunger, etc.. Then you are in presence of a genocide.

All the evidence point that there was a major genocide in North America. If there were precise numbers of the population at the time of contact we could clarify this matter, and accuse with bases to the British and U.S. government of genocide.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 21:25
Originally posted by edgewaters

Ah, it wasn't just the British though. The French and Spanish settlers certainly played their part too. And the Caribs and Tainos themselves practiced genocidal war against each other, torching whole villages to the ground and practicing cannibalism on prisoners, both before and after the European arrival. They even wiped out a few earlier groups long before Columbus ever set foot in the Carribean; like the Igneri and Ortoiroid groups. 

Taino blood exist in large proportion in Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. That shows they were assimilated. Mapuches were more violent than Tainos and survived.

The fact that an invasor encounter a warrior and violent people is not excuse to exterminate it. Otherwise the Jibaroes and the head hunters of New Guinea should had suffered a massive killing.

That's why the Nazis were judged after WW II in Nuremberg, anyways.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 22-Jul-2007 at 21:34
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 21:47

That's not the point. War never destroyed a people. Mapuches fought during 400 years against the Europeans and theirs descendents and theirs numbers increased! However, when you kill the game, poisson the rivers, willingly spread deseases, kill women and children in mass, put people in places where they die by hunger, etc.. Then you are in presence of a genocide.

Well, I'm not sure the English ever poisoned rivers. As I mentioned, genocide was the way of war in the areas where they settled before they arrived, and indeed, some groups had been exterminated even before European arrival. Why it didn't happen on a larger scale in pre-Columbian times was that it was restricted to a few small areas (like the Iroqouis/Huron border area), they were less efficient because they did not have guns, and they did not have the mobility that horses brought. At least, that's the reason in the St. Lawrence/ New England area.

If there were precise numbers of the population at the time of contact we could clarify this matter, and accuse with bases to the British and U.S. government of genocide.

There is no doubt they practiced genocide. They received genocidal treatment from natives too, and used the natives to try and conduct genocide on French settlers. But the largest group in the area of English settlement - the Hurons aka Wyandot - were wiped out by 1650. Do you know who wiped them out, all by themselves? There were many, many small tribes and even other large confederacies like the Neutrals who were wiped out by the same people. Hint; it wasn't the English or the French or the Dutch.

Edited by edgewaters - 22-Jul-2007 at 21:57
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 21:54
Spaniards? They were very ineficient in extinguish people, I tell you.
I know of large massacres in the Caribbean and all in the Americas, but I need to find some example where a people was really extinguished by them.

Amerindians? Perhaps that may be possible. That attitude was observed between the Maories that used the guns of the white to massacre a fellow people, and also in the actions of certain allied Natives against others even in Patagonia.

But if you try me to convince that the whole North American continent was wiped out by Spaniards or Indians, and pure, cast, innocent British and its American descendents had anything to do with it, then you will have a hard time....

Let me ask you, are you kidding?

Pinguin

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 22:03
It would be impossible to even outline the Spanish behavior in the New World in a just a few paragraphs, it got worse as time went by. There are so many lesser known incidents, let alone the major ones that would fill a library.  
elenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 22:11
Originally posted by elenos

It would be impossible to even outline the Spanish behavior in the New World in a just a few paragraphs, it got worse as time went by. There are so many lesser known incidents, let alone the major ones that would fill a library.  

Spanish were dumb enough to record all the violent events on which they intervined. Why did it happen? Because there was always other Spaniard in the pack that took notes of the events and informed the authorities.
More than one conquistador ended executed, and many colonial authorities were removed as well.

Remember that father Las Casas exagerated accounts were the base of the Black Legend, so used by the protestant to cover up theirs own crimes in the Americas.

In the case of the British, few things are know about how they acted. All the accounts of British colonial times is a sort of cover up of events. Genetics show consistent admixture with Amerindians, for instance, but historians insist British never intermarried in large scale with Natives. If so, that would explain with relative easy that desapearing of certain groups by admixture.

Spanish crimes and possitive things are clear to anybody that studies it. Nothing is hidding. In the case of the British we know very few things, and there is not even the feeling in those societies that is necesary to clarify the past.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 22-Jul-2007 at 22:13
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 22:18

Spaniards?

Nope, the Spaniards were never anywhere that area. Wasn't Europeans at all ...

But if you try me to convince that the whole North American continent was wiped out by Spaniards or Indians, and pure, cast, innocent British and its American descendentshad anything to do with it, then you will have a hard time....

In different regions of North America, different things happened, and at different times for different reasons.

In the areas of Quebec, New England, and around the Great Lakes, most of the exterminations occurred at the hands of the Iroqouis as they attempted to build their Great League of Peace. It was peaceful because all the native groups that fell into its territory either submitted or were wiped out. At first it was restricted to a small area outlying the Confederacy, but during the 16th century, fuelled by guns and the need to control fur trade routes to get guns, it expanded to a vast region.

In the American zone south of the Great Lakes, Americans - who had been victims of genocidal attacks (eg slaughtering whole villages) from French native allies and English native allies and who had participated in genocidal attacks with natives against French, English, and native alike - simply continued to fight against their enemies in the same context, even though some of these groups further West practiced more ritualized sorts of warfare like counting coup. They just failed to distinguish this and the expansion occurred so fast they didn't appreciate that warfare on the Plains was different than warfare in the Eastern Woodlands - and by this time, owing to the fact the Iroqouis had remained allies with the British Crown, the Americans were totally isolated from native cultures and existed in their own envelope with little contact.

In the far west, on the Pacific coast of North America, things were less organized. Native groups like the Yana were exterminated by an assorted mix of other native groups raiding them for slaves to sell in Mexico, and a motley assortment of European adventurers (American, English, and Spanish) who were operating beyond the power of any nation.

For New England, if you want a classic example of how natives and Europeans interacted and how a complex series of factors led to conflict, here is a great example:

http://www.dover.lib.nh.us/DoverHistory/cocheco.htm

Note well the first sentence, and the dates. Note also that the natives fleeing war in Massachusetts in 1676 were actually refugees from King Phillip's War - who were themselves refugees from battles with the Iroqouis. It's all very complex, and in most cases, things start out peacefully enough, often for many many years, before things start to go bad. When things did start to go bad, it often wasn't a simple case of English racists decided to wipe out the natives but a series of catalysts that forced the two groups into conflict.

We often hear that natives were unused to European ways of war. This is only true in the case of certain groups like the Aztecs or the Plains Indians. In Eastern North America it was actually the other way round - the natives practiced a sort of warfare that was much more like total war than did the Europeans; the burning of settlements to the ground and the slaughter of inhabitants was so common that the villages Cartier contacted on the first explorations of the St. Lawrence were all gone when Champlain returned on to do further exploration, fairly large, walled settlements like Hochelaga. The Europeans just adapted to that style of war quickly, and then exported it across the continent.

Not all facets of the Eastern Woodlands warfare styles were embraced by Europeans - genocidal practices went hand-in-hand with something called the "mourning wars" where the losses from the deaths of warriors were replaced by destroying an enemy village, killing all the women and warriors, and taking male prisoners, infants children and men. The men were subjected to torture with fire and weapons and if they lived, were adopted as Iroqouis warriors; children and infants were raised as Iroqouis.

Edited by edgewaters - 22-Jul-2007 at 22:38
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 22:36
How come that the Spanish went to these rubber ball games I mentioned and never recorded their purposes? The natives would have  willingly demonstrated their building techniques if asked. But those being told would do what is recorded for all time, every day they tore off any gold earrings or nose rings and flung the natives out to bleed on the streets.

Why did the Spanish authorities burn all the documents given to them by the natives priests detailing their religion and then execute them? If sacred documents and artifacts had been given to the British such sacred history would been stored away.

You don't understand the Brits and judging by your comments you don't like them either which makes it doubly difficult for you to understand the obvious. The British had the saving grace of worshipping knowledge. At the time you talk of to enter Cambridge University all students at age 16 had to read, write and speak English, Greek and Latin.
elenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 22:37
I see, the British settlers were innocent, the decrease in numbers of Amerindians in North America is just Indian's own fult. Spaniards continue to be the evil of the history of the Americas.

On the other hand, Hispanic America is the most Amerindian region of the Americas, while in other places, where more peaceful people than the Spaniards invaded (Brazil, North America) Amerindians almost dissapeared from the map.

Well, who said that history has to follow logic, anyways?

Pinguin

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 22:47

I see, the British settlers were innocent, the decrease in numbers of Amerindians in North America is just Indian's own fult.

No. In most cases, people were just brought into conflict by forces beyond their control. Where there were intentions, they were usually good in the beginning. Even the Iroqouis practice of genocide had, at its root, a dream of peace and harmony, a dream that was realized across a vast area through the practice of that sort of war. Had the Europeans not arrived when they did, the "Pax Iroquoisa" might have been a beautiful thing to see. Similarly the settlers wanted to create new utopian societies, to live lives of freedom, in nature and at peace with the native neighbours, beyond the flaws and decadence and corruption of European society. Nobody's expectations quite worked out as planned ...

Things eventually started to spiral out of control - a product of forces like the introduction of guns to natives, the fact the Europeans happened to arrive during the turbulent formation of the Great League of Peace and there were refugee armies moving across the landscape looking for new homes and bumping up against European settlements, and so on.

Robert Burns would be appropriate on this one:

"The best-laid schemes of mice and men,
Go often awry
And leave us nothing but grief and pain
For promised joy"

Spaniards continue to be the evil of the history of the Americas.

I didn't say that at all ... refer to my earlier posts in this thread.

Edited by edgewaters - 22-Jul-2007 at 23:02
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:20

How come that the Spanish went to these rubber ball games I mentioned and never recorded their purposes? The natives would have  willingly demonstrated their building techniques if asked. But those being told would do what is recorded for all time, every day they tore off any gold earrings or nose rings and flung the natives out to bleed on the streets.

Spaniards were shocked with the Native religion because of two facts: first the human sacrifices, and second, the fact that the ritual canibalism and many other aspects of theirs rituals.... closely followed the Catholic mass.
Spaniards also suffered the killings of many of theirs natives and quite a few Spaniards as well, that were ritually killed by the Aztecs.
They didn't want to know about building technics of those pyramids that served to practise human sacrifices. They just wanted to take them appart and use their own engineering to build cities at the image of the Europeans, with a square, a church, a government building, monasteries and even one university once in a while.

Why did the Spanish authorities burn all the documents given to them by the natives priests detailing their religion and then execute them? If sacred documents and artifacts had been given to the British such sacred history would been stored away.

Actually, the burning of documents is particularly true in the case of the Bishop Landa of Yucatan. The Native priest class was very much persecuted by the spaniards and crashed, because they wanted to get rid of that religion. Those documents were mainly calendars and formulae for religious rituals, including sacrifices and, as any jellous religion do, they were condemned to fire.

Now, a point in favor of the same Bishop Landa is that he recorded as much as he can about Maya writing. Today, Maya script was decoded, and that achievement was done in a great degree thanks to the notes of the same hated Bishop Landa.

Padoxies of history.

Four rolls remain of the original Maya books, however, there are thousand of stelae and inscriptions in walls and pottery with such a detail today lot of details of the historical mayans are known.

You don't understand the Brits and judging by your comments you don't like them either which makes it doubly difficult for you to understand the obvious. The British had the saving grace of worshipping knowledge. At the time you talk of to enter Cambridge University all students at age 16 had to read, write and speak English, Greek and Latin.

Yes. I bet the Brits were the chosen people. They were beyond of morality.

God had to the a protestant LOLLOLLOL

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 22-Jul-2007 at 23:20
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:25
Originally posted by edgewaters

I see, the British settlers were innocent, the decrease in numbers of Amerindians in North America is just Indian's own fult.

No. In most cases, people were just brought into conflict by forces beyond their control. Where there were intentions, they were usually good in the beginning. Even the Iroqouis practice of genocide had, at its root, a dream of peace and harmony, a dream that was realized across a vast area through the practice of that sort of war. Had the Europeans not arrived when they did, the "Pax Iroquoisa" might have been a beautiful thing to see. Similarly the settlers wanted to create new utopian societies, to live lives of freedom, in nature and at peace with the native neighbours, beyond the flaws and decadence and corruption of European society. Nobody's expectations quite worked out as planned ...

Things eventually started to spiral out of control - a product of forces like the introduction of guns to natives, the fact the Europeans happened to arrive during the turbulent formation of the Great League of Peace and there were refugee armies moving across the landscape looking for new homes and bumping up against European settlements, and so on.

Robert Burns would be appropriate on this one:

"The best-laid schemes of mice and men,
Go often awry
And leave us nothing but grief and pain
For promised joy"

Spaniards continue to be the evil of the history of the Americas.

I didn't say that at all ... refer to my earlier posts in this thread.

Ok EdgeWaters. Perhaps I exagerated much.

Now, what do you think of some studies that say at least 6 percent of the genetics of an average, non immigrant, American is Amerindian?

If that is true and get confirmed, I bet the mystery is solved quite easy: admixture.

After all, what happened to the so called "civilized Indians" or "good Indians" in the United States? As far as I know not all were deported to the West, and I hope they didn't vanished in the air either.

That's the mystery I am interested in solving, but not much details exist, I am afraid. That I am aware of, at least

Pinguin

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:54

After all, what happened to the so called "civilized Indians" or "good Indians" in the United States?

Who do you mean? The Cherokee? They're still around. Some (definately not all, but some) groups like the Iroqouis and Mi'kmaq are even still living on or near their original homelands, in numbers probably about the same as they were at the time of contact. The Mi'kmaq actually have a slightly higher population now than they did pre-contact.

You said earlier:

Our universities are full of Amerindian young people with Amerindian faces and last names studying engineering... something I didn't see in Canada.

This is not true at all - there are lots of natives with degrees, going to universities and so on. There are native MPs in Parliament, in fact, if you look at any Canadian-produced TV show like a sitcom or drama produced in the last few decades, all of them feature at least a few native actors, and some of the more popular ones have even featured a majority of native cast (eg North of 60). Some of the most familiar faces on Canadian TV are native actors - eg Adam Beach or Lorne Cardinal.

Of course, they are not a majority in any of these fields, but they make up a small percentage of the population to begin with.

Edited by edgewaters - 22-Jul-2007 at 23:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>